PDA

View Full Version : Cowher and Dungy?

DalTXColtsFan
02-05-2007, 02:46 PM
It took Cowher what, 14 years to "finally" win a ring?

I *think* Dungy is in his 11th year as a coach.

Were there times when Steeler fans just thought that Cowher was "never" going to get it done, that it was time to fire him and move in a different direction? I can tell you for darned sure that's happened millions of times to Dungy, and after the worst run defense in the history of the NFL nobody was picking the Colts to go all the way *this* year either.

Did it help a little that Cowher at least GOT to a Super Bowl in (I think) his 3rd year and lost to a dynasty team?

I'll tell you what, I have to confess that I was doubting Dungy for awhile and have never been happier to be wrong. I'll bet anyone who doubted Cowher was happy to be wrong last year!

Black@Gold Forever32
02-05-2007, 02:50 PM

Were there times when Steeler fans just thought that Cowher was "never" going to get it done, that it was time to fire him and move in a different direction? I can tell you for darned sure that's happened millions of times to Dungy, and after the worst run defense in the history of the NFL nobody was picking the Colts to go all the way *this* year either.

Did it help a little that Cowher at least GOT to a Super Bowl in (I think) his 3rd year and lost to a dynasty team?

Cowher made the Super Bowl in his fourth year but you were close. No it didn't help that Cowher just got there and lost to the Cowboys. The Steelers were only down 20-17 when Neil O'Donnell threw his second INT damn it.

As for Tony Dungy he deserves the win but so does the whole Colts organization. Even Bill Polian who built those Bills teams that lost 4 Super Bowls. So this win has to be sweet for Bill also to finally win it all.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 02:51 PM
To say it's happened to Steeler fans with Bill Cowher would be an understatement. There have many a time when fans have said Cowher will never get it done after losing in SB XXX, he doesn't have the coaching skills in the playoffs, he's not a big game coach, bad play calling in the playoffs, lost his passion, you name it and it's been said. I think the majority of Steeler fans were flying pretty high after SB XXX though still because even though we lost we still felt like we had a real solid team for the most part.

When we were 7-5 in 2005 nobody thought we were doing anything either but then we started our run and the rest is history. The fans here at SA believed it could be still be done, however unlikely it looked at the time. Hell we all were still trying to figure out ways to make the playoffs this year even when this season was at it's lowest point this year and we were basically out of it. Steeler fans are a die hard bunch and we'll support our guys to the end, but we're also an opinionated group as well and we're not afraid to let our coach know how we feel ;)

Black@Gold Forever32
02-05-2007, 02:53 PM
To say it's happened to Steeler fans with Bill Cowher would be an understatement. There have many a time when fans have said Cowher will never get it done after losing in SB XXX, he doesn't have the coaching skills in the playoffs, he's not a big game coach, bad play calling in the playoffs, lost his passion, you name it and it's been said. I think the majority of Steeler fans were flying pretty high after SB XXX though still because even though we lost we still felt like we had a real solid team for the most part.

When we were 7-5 in 2005 nobody thought we were doing anything either but then we started our run and the rest is history. The fans here at SA believed it could be still be done, however unlikely it looked at the time. Hell we all were still trying to figure out ways to make the playoffs this year even when this season was at it's lowest point this year and we were basically out of it. Steeler fans are a die hard bunch and we'll support our guys to the end, but we're also an opinionated group as well ;)

Steelers fans an opinionated group? I think thats an under statement.:bluelol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Steelers fans an opinionated group? I think thats an under statement.:bluelol:

Well ok, maybe a little :lol:

SteelerFan87
02-05-2007, 03:51 PM
1st of all, welcome to SA ColtsFan (I'm not saying DalTX because here in Steelers Country we don't speak of that place, lol) I hope you'll stick around like some of our other non-steelers fans.

As for Cowher, yeah, there have been alot of doubters who thought he'd never win the big one, always made the wrong calls/either went conservative or too crazy in the playoffs, was just like his mentor Marty Shottenheimer, couldn't adapt or refused to do so, etc. Funny how right after SB XL everyone seemed to love him, lol. Dungy is a great coach and it was nice to see a former Steeler and a great man win the Super Bowl and silence the critics too. I'm also happy for Peyton who finally gets that "can't win the big one" monkey off his back, and Bill Polian, who suffered through 4 SB losses with some very good Bills teams that he put together.

Most of all, I'm happy because Pats fans everywhere are crying. :lol:

Koopa
02-05-2007, 05:27 PM

I'll tell you what, I have to confess that I was doubting Dungy for awhile and have never been happier to be wrong. I'll bet anyone who doubted Cowher was happy to be wrong last year!

i always wanted cowher fired lol, sure he finally won a superbowl and i was happy for him, but then i hated him again cause he came into this season with no passion and already knowing it was his last year and the players took on his mentality of just let this season end...........

i'm happy for dungy though, i think he got cheated out of his first superbowl ring when tampa bay fired him for no damn reason........

i wonder if he'll call it quits now, i read he said in the past that he wanted to retire when he is 50...........he's now 51.......... so it will be interesting to see if he goes out on top, or goes out like cowher did and just waste a season........

btw, welcome to the site, it's good to have another texan on board...............

big d
02-05-2007, 05:42 PM
i always wanted cowher fired lol, sure he finally won a superbowl and i was happy for him, but then i hated him again cause he came into this season with no passion and already knowing it was his last year and the players took on his mentality of just let this season end...........

i'm happy for dungy though, i think he got cheated out of his first superbowl ring when tampa bay fired him for no damn reason........

i wonder if he'll call it quits now, i read he said in the past that he wanted to retire when he is 50...........he's now 51.......... so it will be interesting to see if he goes out on top, or goes out like cowher did and just waste a season........

btw, welcome to the site, it's good to have another texan on board...............

I loved cowher up until 99. I was frustrated after two really **** poor years. I think up until ben cowher was awful at finding talents at the qb position. I think we will be better off with tomlin this year then having cowher coach out his contract.

Troyisabeast_43
02-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Im personally getting tired of seeing Cowher on tv and the radio so much here the last month since he resigned here or "retired" from coaching. For a guy who bitched and whined and complained about not spending enough time with his family and said he was tired of being noticed and being in the spotlight the guy sure as hell cant seem to stay away from the tv or the radio. He was on the Super Bowl pregame yesterday on CBS,and espn radio interviewed him last week as well, and there was an article about him in the paper the other day about how he was doing and how is family is doing. I personally dont care how Cowher and his family are doing. I dont want to know about his daughters and how he misses them and blah blah blah. Bill Cowher isnt the only person in the world who has a family and 3 girls. There are a lot more people worse off then this guy who have to work their *** off for their money and dont get to see their kids at all. Cowher finally did his super bowl here but it was really because of Whiz and Ben and not Cowher. Up until then the guy has been a miserable failure in big games constantly. I am just sick of seeing Bill Cowher and hearing about him here. I wish he would just go away and I hope wherever he goes next year in 2008 cause he will be coaching I hope he falls on his *** which I know he will.

Koopa
02-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Im personally getting tired of seeing Cowher on tv and the radio so much here the last month since he resigned here or "retired" from coaching. For a guy who bitched and whined and complained about not spending enough time with his family and said he was tired of being noticed and being in the spotlight the guy sure as hell cant seem to stay away from the tv or the radio. He was on the Super Bowl pregame yesterday on CBS,and espn radio interviewed him last week as well, and there was an article about him in the paper the other day about how he was doing and how is family is doing. I personally dont care how Cowher and his family are doing. I dont want to know about his daughters and how he misses them and blah blah blah. Bill Cowher isnt the only person in the world who has a family and 3 girls. There are a lot more people worse off then this guy who have to work their *** off for their money and dont get to see their kids at all. Cowher finally did his super bowl here but it was really because of Whiz and Ben and not Cowher. Up until then the guy has been a miserable failure in big games constantly. I am just sick of seeing Bill Cowher and hearing about him here. I wish he would just go away and I hope wherever he goes next year in 2008 cause he will be coaching I hope he falls on his *** which I know he will.

greatest post ever lol.............................. you don't post a lot, but when you do, you always bring that heat lol.......

Koopa
02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
well looks like the colts won't go through what we did with a coach

"Every year, for probably the last three or four years, I've evaluated where I am at the end of the season," he said Monday morning. "I still have a lot of passion and enthusiasm for the game, and after a night like last night, how could you not love it? So I'm not burned out, I'm not tired at all. I'm very fired up and looking forward to coming back. But I'll evaluate it and see where we'll go."

it's just to bad it'll be short lived, cause the steelers are coming back next year and taking that **** back..........

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs06/news/story?id=2754837

DalTXColtsFan
02-05-2007, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=Koopa;66639]it's just to bad it'll be short lived, cause the steelers are coming back next year and taking that **** back..........QUOTE]

WOOT! I don't know what would be worse, losing to Casper Van Dien (Tom Brady) or Omar Epps (Mike Tomlin) :bluelol: :hilarious: :lol: :tt02: :redcool:

Troyisabeast_43
02-05-2007, 11:14 PM
I know I do and thanks Koopa lol...But seriously though I am tired of seeing Bill Cowher and hearing him talk about his wife and his kids and how he wants to do this and that and just everything. Cowher is nothing but a phony in my opinion. He is no longer the coach here and I just dont want to hear about what he is doing outside of football because I just dont care. Cowher didnt endorse Whiz here for the head coaching job which shows you what kind person he really is. He has no integrity in my opinion and he would stab you in the back in a heartbeat if it meant stroking his ego or getting his own way. Im just tired of seeing him in the news already after he has been gone about a month already. I dont care what he is doing anymore because he is no longer the coach here Mike Tomlin is. I want the media to talk about what Tomlin is doing not what Cowher is doing because I dont care and nobody else cares what him and his ugly wife and daughters are doing period its that simple.

steelcurtaingal
02-07-2007, 09:06 AM
i will be the last one to say that Cowher was useless, he wasnt. He was a great coach, and i think whoever says otherwise is in severe denial. It may have taken him a while, but he did help get us to the sb last year, and i will never forget the chin. You may not like him, heck you may hate him, but dont deny his legacy the honor it deserves.
apart from that, he retired. The world must move on now. he was a great coach, but now its time to let Tomlin do his thing, and to have faith in him. The steelers will be back, with a new look, and i cant wait:hail: :tt02: :helmet:

BBG7
02-07-2007, 09:45 PM
I did have my doubts on Cowher at times, I will admit. Playoffs were absolutely horrible to watch at times, the play calling sucked and he was so damn predictable it wasn't even funny. Him (or should I say Whiz) changed that when we finally made it to the big show and went on our amazing playoff run.
I will miss Cowher. I will miss his chin, and watching him spit on the players. Challenges were always fun to watch his reactions...but it's TOMLIN now anhopefully for awhile. It's time for a change, and I, for one, am so excited for next season.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!!