PDA

View Full Version : Manning

TEEMONT
02-05-2007, 12:14 PM
The way he gets ripped for being a selfish player, I was surprised to hear Peyton give all the credit to the SB win to......HIS TEAM! He took no credit at all, weird.

I know all of you will say I am riding his nuts, but 90% of the criticism of him is pretty much uncalled for. Hate him or not, he changed the way he played his game, to win the big one.

Congrads to Peyton and more importanly, Dungy.

TampaSteelGirl
02-05-2007, 12:18 PM
I completely agree with you. I was never a big fan of Peyton but the media was quite cruel to him. The only time i really heard him throw his team under the bus was when we beat them last year and he blamed his O-line but i'm sure it was out of frustration. I was glad to hear him say that last night about him team and them winning together. You could tell he was proud of his MVP but didn't shine on that too much, just talked about Coach Dungy and his teammates, i thought that was classy of him!
I'm glad they won and it was so sweet to see Tony's face all lit up!
God Bless him!

Steelersfan
02-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Hate him or not, he changed the way he played his game, to win the big one.

Well he already had all the personal stats and this was the one thing he needed to really be considered a great QB to a lot of people. I'm glad he was finally smart enough to realize what it takes to win the SB. If he'd figured that out 4-5 years ago the Colts could of very well reversed how people see them and the Pats. Brady would be the one who could never win the big one....lol

Black@Gold Forever32
02-05-2007, 01:21 PM
The way he gets ripped for being a selfish player, I was surprised to hear Peyton give all the credit to the SB win to......HIS TEAM! He took no credit at all, weird.

I know all of you will say I am riding his nuts, but 90% of the criticism of him is pretty much uncalled for. Hate him or not, he changed the way he played his game, to win the big one.

Congrads to Peyton and more importanly, Dungy.

Hey I gave Peyton and the Colts their just due in the Super Bowl XLI thread. But Peyton is still a douche bag. One thing I won't let down yea Ben had a terrible Super Bowl game. But Ben had 7 TD's to 3 INT's for the play-offs and Super Bowl. While Peyton had 3 TD's to 7 INT's. Does that make Ben a better QB. No it doesn't but you could argue Ben had alot more to do with the Steelers run to the Super Bowl then Peyton did with the Colts.

Which proves the Colts won as a team just like the Steelers did last year. So I have to respect that.:tt02: The Colts were impressive in their team effort but I hope they get no more rings.:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Interestingly enough that Peyton's worse stats of his career in the postseason come when he wins the super bowl. I think maybe he finally put 2 + 2 together and realized that he can actually hand the ball off, play good defense, and win big games.

Im glad he won too, but Im more glad for Dungy.

Blitzburgh55
02-05-2007, 03:12 PM
I always liked Peyton but i hate Eli

Koopa
02-05-2007, 03:50 PM
well i've always said he's hands down the best qb in the league right now.......i just hate all the mannings, they area all little bitches, especially eli............

but, how come it's ok for you to be all over peyton, but you talk **** to steeler fans when they support ben????

TEEMONT
02-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Supporting Ben and puttin him in the top 5 QB's in the league are two different things. A lot fo Steelers fans have trouble with homerism. In some cases I do ( I still think Faneca is the best OL in the league, and an arguement could be made), but Ben isn barely a top 10 QB right now, even with his rookie season and SB run under his belt. He still has a lot to show me to prove he is as good as eveyone thinks he is, don't get me wrong, I will be rooting for him to prove me wrong all the way.

I would trade Peyton for Ben in an instant though.

Steelersfan
02-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Supporting Ben and puttin him in the top 5 QB's in the league are two different things. A lot fo Steelers fans have trouble with homerism. In some cases I do ( I still think Faneca is the best OL in the league, and an arguement could be made), but Ben isn barely a top 10 QB right now, even with his rookie season and SB run under his belt. He still has a lot to show me to prove he is as good as eveyone thinks he is, don't get me wrong, I will be rooting for him to prove me wrong all the way.

I would trade Peyton for Ben in an instant though.

Not trying to start a debate but who would be the 10 QB's you put in front of Ben over the past 3 years?

Koopa
02-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Not trying to start a debate but who would be the 10 QB's you put in front of Ben over the past 3 years?

i was wondering the same thing, and i tried making a list, and i'm trying to start a debate because it's the offseason and what are message boards for?? lol

top 10 (in no real order)
manning
brady
brees
hasselback
palmer
Delhomme (not this years though, but he's been a pretty good qb for a couple of years)
mcnabb (when healthy)

and then i get stuck there

here's who i'd take ben over:

cause eli ain't better. rivers maybe but i wouldn't put him over to much cause he has a better oline, a better running back, and they use the tight end better

can't put romo over him because he didn't play enough games and wasn't very good down the stretch.

the raiders qbs ain't better

alex smith ain't better

losman ain't better

young was great but i'd still take ben over him,

the dolphins qb's suck

bulger sucks

the lions qb's suck

i'd take ben over plummer/cutler

i'd take him over trent green

i'd take him over the jags qb's

i'd take him over carr

i'd take him over mcnair

i'd take him over pennington

i'd take him over frye

i'd take him over lienart/warner

i'd take him over rex grossman

i'd take him over this bret favre (not the favre in his prime but the favre of the last few years)

i'd take him over the vikings qb

i'd take him over burnell or campbell

i'd take him over chris simms or whoever the bucs have starting, and i'd take him over vick.......

i think i named just about everyone.......so he kinda is in the top 10, it may be by default but he's still in lol

Steelersfan
02-06-2007, 01:13 AM
That's the reason I asked. I tried to think of 10 QB's I might take over Ben and got about the same ones you did. 7-8 you can make a case for being ahead of Ben. I'd have to say he would be in my top 10 right now but this year could move him up or down quite a bit after last year.

TEEMONT
02-06-2007, 01:34 AM
I would take these guys over Ben (right now), I reserve the right for Ben to prove me wrong.

1. Peyton
2. Brady
3. McNabb
4. Yince Young
5. Favre
6. Delhomme
7. McNair
8. Palmer
9. Brees
10. Rivers (he was who I was hoping the Steelers would get in 04)

I would place Ben over Hasselbeck. So Ben is at 11 for me. Above average is what Ben has been to this point in his career.

Steelersfan
02-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Young and Rivers (more Young) I would pass on right now until I see them put another good year in. Favre I would pass on at this stage of his career and I really don't know what to think of Delhomme to be honest with you.
I can see where I would have him in my top 10 and why you didn't but no way do I think Young is a better QB right now. I could see your arguments for all the others though.

TEEMONT
02-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Young won an awful lot of games for Tennesee this year, which is no where near as good of a team as we are. Based on last year (which is really all you can go on) Ben is lucky to be that high. I think even I am guilty of being a bit homeristic, I realize he was hurt all year pretty much, and not at his playing weight. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and losing to the Raiders b/c of your QB is not what I want to see when I look over the season.

Koopa
02-06-2007, 01:56 AM
well i'm probably the biggest vince young fan on this board, but i don't really know if i'd take him over ben... yeah vince single handedly won the titans game, sure he put the whole team on his back and carried them, something ben has never done, but i don't know lol......ben is a better passer.......that one is tough for me

but hey, vince young is a pro bowler (he replaced rivers), and ben isn't so damn................

DIESELMAN
02-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Props to the Colts.....Manning has been in the league 9 years and he finally realizes hes got 10 other guys on offense who can help him win...wow what a concept, a team effort.

TEEMONT
02-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Thats why I say props to him, it takes a lot for people to change.

DIESELMAN
02-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Your right it takes A LOT for some people to change. Playing football since probably Pop warner through high school and then college and 9 years in the pro's. Props to Peyton for getting over his ego.

SteelerFan87
02-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Lol, Peyton didn't "get over his ego" or "learn that he should hand off more and trust his defense". He just learned to be more patient and not try to do everything himself and force stuff. But the biggest thing is that his recievers, O-line, running game, and especially defense that had choked in the playoffs right along with him throughout his career finally stepped up and made it so that he didn't HAVE to try to do everything himself. It's not that Peyton suddenly learned what he has to do to win a championship, the whole Colts team stepped up, played to their potential instead of thinking "we have Peyton so that should automatically win us games", and did what it took to finally win the big one.

TEEMONT
02-06-2007, 03:50 PM
^ word

Black@Gold Forever32
02-06-2007, 04:00 PM
The whole Colts team stepped up besides Peyton.lol I would say 3 TD's and 7 INT's for his post season stats isn't that impressive. But hey he got his ring now so all is good for him. I just find it funny its never Peyton's fault for the Colts play-off let downs. 87 had a nice list of excuses Colts fans have used for years.lol

Now the Colts and Peyton deserved this Super Bowl. They earned it. But Peyton still doesn't play his best in the post-season. Like I said 3 TD's and 7 INT's proves that. The only thing he didn't kill his team like he did in years past with his poor play in the play-offs.

SteelerFan87
02-06-2007, 05:24 PM
The whole Colts team stepped up besides Peyton.lol I would say 3 TD's and 7 INT's for his post season stats isn't that impressive. But hey he got his ring now so all is good for him. I just find it funny its never Peyton's fault for the Colts play-off let downs. 87 had a nice list of excuses Colts fans have used for years.lol

Now the Colts and Peyton deserved this Super Bowl. They earned it. But Peyton still doesn't play his best in the post-season. Like I said 3 TD's and 7 INT's proves that. The only thing he didn't kill his team like he did in years past with his poor play in the play-offs.

Well, it's the truth. Peyton shouldn't get all the credit for the Colts success, nor should he get all the blame for their failures. People criticized him for calling out his O-line, but he was telling the truth. It's impossible for a QB to do anything if he's getting knocked on his *** on every play. The Colts D has been practically nonexistant throughout Peyton's career, especially in the playoffs. Their running game was also always nonexistant in the playoffs. Even their great recievers seemed to lower their game in the playoffs. Even in the 1st 2 playoff games this year Marvin and Wayne were uncharacteristically dropping balls. It's like the last few years the Colts have gotten to the playoffs and thought "ok, we have Peyton Manning, so he should be able to win games singlehandedly". Not only Peyton but the whole team learned that 1 player can't singlehandedly win games. So, the whole team stepped up and was there for Peyton even when he didn't play his best, and now they all have rings because of it. Peyton didn't put up Peyton-type numbers this year in the playoffs, but he played well enough and, other than a couple bad throws, he played smart. I think the biggest reason for this is that he saw that his defense wouldn't let him down, his running game could be dependable, and if necessary, they could count on Adam Vinatieri field goals.