PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben and Terry Bradshaw

Black@Gold Forever32
08-18-2006, 07:07 PM
We all know Terry Bradshaw is the greatest QB in Steelers history. Ben would have to accomplish alot to over take Terry for the top spot in Steelers history. But what do you think of Big Ben's chances of breaking Terry Bradshaw's single season TD pass record? Terry set the mark of 28 TD passes back in 1978. If given the chance to pass more I think Ben has a real good shot. Ben had 17 TD passes last year with only around 260 pass attempts. If Ben had the 500 some pass attempts that Carson Palmer had last year he would of easily broke Terry's record. Now I'm not saying stats is important. Baseball is more of stat sport. But I'm a stat geek so I always have a interest in stats and players breaking records.

PITT23
08-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Well with Jerome gone from those inside the 5 yard line runs and big targets like Heath Miller getting better then he might get 3-5 more of those short yardage tries. I think it's possible but not the highest of chances.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Well with Jerome gone from those inside the 5 yard line runs and big targets like Heath Miller getting better then he might get 3-5 more of those short yardage tries. I think it's possible but not the highest of chances.

Well if you factor in Ben missed 4 games last year and still had 17. He might have had 20 if not missing any games. If Cowher lets him throw way around 400 times this year he might have a shot. Now that might be a huge stretch for Cowher to let Ben throw 400 times this year. But you never know.

Koopa
08-18-2006, 07:43 PM
well since all the rules keep changing to make it easier for qb's to score, he could break that easy if we passed more

Black@Gold Forever32
08-18-2006, 07:45 PM
well since all the rules keep changing to make it easier for qb's to score, he could break that easy if we passed more

Thats the key for Ben to pass more. I think we will see more passing this year. Trust me we won't become the St. Louis Rams under Mike Martz. But I see more of a run55/pass45 ratio this year.

BBC
08-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Ben'll break it. He's only played two years, it took TB 9 years to get to that mark. Once Cowher get's more faith in Ben, and Ben can stay healthy an entire season, he'll shatter the record.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Ben'll break it. He's only played two years, it took TB 9 years to get to that mark. Once Cowher get's more faith in Ben, and Ben can stay healthy an entire season, he'll shatter the record.

I agree. I would like to see it this year. Trust me you can't argue with how much the Steelers do indeed run the ball. The success of the team speaks for itself. I would just like to see us use our young franchise QB to his full potential. Factor in all the weapons Ben has and he should be setting some records in the near future.

BBC
08-18-2006, 08:21 PM
I agree. I would like to see it this year. Trust me you can't argue with how much the Steelers do indeed run the ball. The success of the team speaks for itself. I would just like to see us use our young franchise QB to his full potential. Factor in all the weapons Ben has and he should be setting some records in the near future.

The Steelers aren't really much of a 'running team'. Ben builds up a lead in the first and second quarters, then because of the lead he built, Cowher sits on the lead. That is what Cowher does, he's lost 1 game in some 108 games in which the Steelers gained a lead of 11 points or more. If you need proof that it is Ben that builds the lead, then the run game that puts it away, look no further than the fact that he's got a 144.2 passer rating in the first quarter, or that he averages more passing yards per first quarter than both Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

The sitting on the lead by running the ball does take away from Ben's attempts though.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Unless the Steelers change philosphy of smashmouth, run first football, its hard to tell if Ben will have a chance to beat a record like that with the black n gold. It would be awesome if he did if Ben sticks around with us his entire career and stays relatively healthy with good surrounding talent, it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to be mentioned as an equal to Terry in some respects.

Koopa
08-18-2006, 10:25 PM
well the good thing is, cowher won't be around ben's whole career lol. when whisenhunt takes over in a couple of years this team is gonna be a shitload different lol

BlitzburghRockCity
08-18-2006, 10:42 PM
I just hope its not a shiat load different like it was a few years back when Tommy was the QB and he threw for a bazillion yards that year and we didn't do squat !

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 12:13 PM
The Steelers aren't really much of a 'running team'. Ben builds up a lead in the first and second quarters, then because of the lead he built, Cowher sits on the lead. That is what Cowher does, he's lost 1 game in some 108 games in which the Steelers gained a lead of 11 points or more. If you need proof that it is Ben that builds the lead, then the run game that puts it away, look no further than the fact that he's got a 144.2 passer rating in the first quarter, or that he averages more passing yards per first quarter than both Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

The sitting on the lead by running the ball does take away from Ben's attempts though.

Don't want to sound like a jerk. But I know we are a balanced offense in the first half of games. I watch the Steelers every week. I havn't missed a game in 8 years thanks to NFL Sunday Ticket. I don't need a education about the Steelers bro. But when you run the ball 60 percent of the time even to protect the lead in the 2nd half. Your still a running team. Some teams have that short passing game mixed in when having a lead. Remember the Pats in 2003 when they had no running game.

BBC
08-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Don't want to sound like a jerk. But I know we are a balanced offense in the first half of games. I watch the Steelers every week. I havn't missed a game in 8 years thanks to NFL Sunday Ticket. I don't need a education about the Steelers bro. But when you run the ball 60 percent of the time even to protect the lead in the 2nd half. Your still a running team. Some teams have that short passing game mixed in when having a lead. Remember the Pats in 2003 when they had no running game.

Okay B@G, sorry for trying to have a conversation about the Steelers with you...

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Okay B@G, sorry for trying to have a conversation about the Steelers with you...

Don't have to say sorry. Just saying I know Steelers football. I don't need a history or stats lesson.

BBC
08-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Don't have to say sorry. Just saying I know Steelers football. I don't need a history or stats lesson.

Or a conversation about the team either I guess :dunno:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Or a conversation about the team either I guess :dunno:

We can talk about the Steelers all you want. Just saying I'm not a clueless fan and did pay attention last year. I remember last year just fine when Ben help build leads only to have the running game take over in the second half. The first game against the Titans sticks out real well in my mind. Ben had around 220 yards and 2 TD's on 9 completions and only 11 attempts.

Like I said wasn't trying to be jerk. Just letting you know I know my Steelers bro.

BBC
08-19-2006, 12:29 PM
We can talk about the Steelers all you want. Just saying I'm not a clueless fan and did pay attention last year. I remember last year just fine when Ben help build leads only to have the running game take over in the second half. The first game against the Titans sticks out real well in my mind. Ben had around 220 yards and 2 TD's on 9 completions and only 11 attempts.

Like I said wasn't trying to be jerk. Just letting you know I know my Steelers bro.

I never said you didn't know your Steelers, nor did I say you were clueless. I was just discussing the Steelers being a 'running team', I don't think they are. Apparently when I tried to back my stance up with stats - you think I'm taking a shot at your Steelers knowledge.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 12:32 PM
I never said you didn't know your Steelers, nor did I say you were clueless. I was just discussing the Steelers being a 'running team', I don't think they are. Apparently when I tried to back my stance up with stats - you think I'm taking a shot at your Steelers knowledge.

Your right I did take as a shot. But any way you look at it. The Steelers are a running team for the most part even if its to protect the lead in the 2nd half. I think sometimes when we have he lead let our young QB take a shot. Its hard to argue with the success though. So no complaints by me.

BBC
08-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Your right I did take as a shot. But any way you look at it. The Steelers are a running team for the most part even if its to protect the lead in the 2nd half. I think sometimes when we have he lead let our young QB take a shot. Its hard to argue with the success though. So no complaints by me.

I really don't understand how providing stats to prove my point is a shot at your knowledge, but I guess it doesn't really make a difference.

Running in the second half to preserve a lead doesn't make a team a running team. While it does take away from the quarterback's attempts, the term 'running team' implys that the team relies on the run. The Steelers do anything but that - if anything the run relies on the pass.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 12:42 PM
I really don't understand how providing stats to prove my point is a shot at your knowledge, but I guess it doesn't really make a difference.

Running in the second half to preserve a lead doesn't make a team a running team. While it does take away from the quarterback's attempts, the term 'running team' implys that the team relies on the run. The Steelers do anything but that - if anything the run relies on the pass.

Well I don't think the Steelers rely on the run but they still are a running team. You are totally right the run relies on the pass. But you can turn that around and say the pass relies on the run also. Well at least thats my thinking. Basically teams need balance on offense in today's NFL. The days of a team just being a threat in the running game are over. You need a QB that is going to make plays and strike some kind of fear into a defense. Our man Big Ben has shown that. Unlike the many previous QB's that came before him under Bill Cowher.

BBC
08-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Well I don't think the Steelers rely on the run but they still are a running team. You are totally right the run relies on the pass. But you can turn that around and say the pass relies on the run also. Well at least thats my thinking. Basically teams need balance on offense in today's NFL. The days of a team just being a threat in the running game are over. You need a QB that is going to make plays and strike some kind of fear into a defense. Our man Big Ben has shown that. Unlike the many previous QB's that came before him under Bill Cowher.

I wouldn't say that the passing game relies on the run game at all. In the 3 games Ben Roethlisberger started and Willie Parker rushed for less than a 3 yard average, the Steelers won all three. In those games, Ben had passer ratings of 105.4, 148.7, and 124.9. He averaged 236 yards in those games, and threw 6 touchdowns versus zero interceptions. I agree that teams need balance, and that is something that the Steelers do a good job of having, but I would not claim that the passing game relies on the running game.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't say that the passing game relies on the run game at all. In the 3 games Ben Roethlisberger started and Willie Parker rushed for less than a 3 yard average, the Steelers won all three. In those games, Ben had passer ratings of 105.4, 148.7, and 124.9. He averaged 236 yards in those games, and threw 6 touchdowns versus zero interceptions. I agree that teams need balance, and that is something that the Steelers do a good job of having, but I would not claim that the passing game relies on the running game.

Thats a very good point and your right. There were games last year were the run game didn't do its part and Ben still played well. But there were games also were the run game did its part and Ben didn't do as well. Just saying I think teams need to be threat in the pass game and the run game. I would just like to see the Steelers have a 50/50 pass and run ratio.

BBC
08-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Thats a very good point and your right. There were games last year were the run game didn't do its part and Ben still played well. But there were games also were the run game did its part and Ben didn't do as well. Just saying I think teams need to be threat in the pass game and the run game. I would just like to see the Steelers have a 50/50 pass and run ratio.

I agree, you'll never be successful if you're a one dimensional team (just ask the Cardinals). I'd love to see the Steelers 50/50, and that's usually what they are around when they are playing the game to win. Once they begin playing not to lose, it looks more like 90/10 in favor of the run, but when the Steelers are playing to get a lead - they are very balanced.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 01:12 PM
I agree, you'll never be successful if you're a one dimensional team (just ask the Cardinals). I'd love to see the Steelers 50/50, and that's usually what they are around when they are playing the game to win. Once they begin playing not to lose, it looks more like 90/10 in favor of the run, but when the Steelers are playing to get a lead - they are very balanced.

Yea I would like to see a 50/50 balance for the whole game. But its hard to argue with the success of the team. But I see the Steelers being a 45pass/55run ratio this year.