PDA

View Full Version : Najeh Davenport: Keep or Kick to the curb?

BlackGold4vr
02-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Keep or kick to the curb: Najeh Davenport

Najeh Davenport By Dale Lolley
For SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Feb 3, 2007

The next in a series: An early look at the Steelers upcoming free agents and whether they should keep running back Najeh Davenport or kick him to the curb.

The new coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers has a busy schedule, studying the teamís current roster, readying for the draft and settling itself in Pittsburgh.

With that in mind, weíve decided to help them out a little by breaking down the teamís free agents and whether they fit into the teamís future plans or should be allowed to look for work elsewhere.

Next up on our list is running back Najeh Davenport, an unrestricted free agent.

The Steelers added Davenport to their roster after their opener last season against Miami and he slowly worked his way into the running back rotation behind starter Willie Parker.

At 6-1, 247 pounds, Davenport was used primarily as the teamís short-yardage back and, after a season-ending injury to Verron Haynes, a third-down back.

He also stepped in as a kick returner, averaging 21.7 yards on 19 attempts.

Davenport finished the season with a 3.4 yards per carry average on his 57 rushing attempts and also caught 15 passes for 193 yards. He scored one touchdown each rushing and receiving.

For a team that was searching for a big back to compliment Parker Ė especially after the failed Duce Staley experiment Ė Davenport was a free agent blessing for the Steelers. They were, in fact, lucky that he was released by Green Bay.

But letís face the facts. As a short-yardage back, Davenport just doesnít get much of a push, mostly because he runs too high. In fact, while his 3.4 yards per carry average doesnít look bad for a short-yardage back, realize that he had a 48-yard carry against Kansas City that inflated even that.

Take away that 48-yard carry and Davenportís average rushing attempt netted just 2.6 yards. Thatís not getting the job done. Even in his final season, Jerome Bettis average 3.3 yards per carry.

Davenport did show something as a receiver and blocker on third downs, but canít this team do better?

A draft pick would certainly come cheaper than Davenport at this point and would offer plenty of more upside.

Verdict: Curb him.

Dale Lolley appears courtesy of the Observer-Reporter.

I love it when crusty old sports writers reiterate things that I have already been saying! I agree, curb him. Thats why I wanted Leonard AND Hunt. Don't care if they are rooks! Year after year rookie running backs have come into the league and made big contributions.........Addai has this year! Benson on Chicagos sideline played and contributed as a rook last year. I don't want to hear the rookie crap. IMO some positions need a little seasoning before ready to play at the Pro-level. RB is not one of them! This is a position where youth and fresh legs are well served! Even the greats who enter the HOF are good for 7 to 8 years of prime output, then a bunch of mediocre seasons holding onto their glory years unable to come to grips with the effects of age! I will take the young and hungry to prove something running backs 10 times out of 10! Bag Najeh, we can do better!

:beer3:

House of Steel
02-04-2007, 10:43 AM
intresting article, nonetheless. We'll see what happens, I don't think they will make a choice til after the NFL Draft and seeing what comes their way. I will say that I had some respect for Najeh for what he done for us this past season, he was a blessing more than culprit.

Captcoolhand
02-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Keep or kick to the curb: Najeh Davenport

I love it when crusty old sports writers reiterate things that I have already been saying! I agree, curb him. Thats why I wanted Leonard AND Hunt. Don't care if they are rooks! Year after year rookie running backs have come into the league and made big contributions.........Addai has this year! Benson on Chicagos sideline played and contributed as a rook last year. I don't want to hear the rookie crap. IMO some positions need a little seasoning before ready to play at the Pro-level. RB is not one of them! This is a position where youth and fresh legs are well served! Even the greats who enter the HOF are good for 7 to 8 years of prime output, then a bunch of mediocre seasons holding onto their glory years unable to come to grips with the effects of age! I will take the young and hungry to prove something running backs 10 times out of 10! Bag Najeh, we can do better!

I wish we would of took Maurice Jones-Drew when we had the chance:yesnod:

BlackGold4vr
02-04-2007, 11:03 AM
I do not dislike Najeh! I just think we can do better! He's older and has tenure in the NFL so you are not going to resign him as cheaply as you could sign a more productive rookie! I appreciate what he did for us last year but that was last year and this is a new year. Are their doubts that a Leonard or a Hunt could run through a hole and break a tackle or two? All football players should realize that playing in the NFL is not something you can do forever. There are some freaks of nature that stretch out their playing careers over 2 decades but thats the exception not the rule! Its a young mans game and We can do better!

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-04-2007, 11:19 AM
IMHO i would like to see what he could do when given the chance for a whole year. You can always bring in a rookie and let them battle in camp.
It would be nice to go "old school" ,ala Franco and Rocky, and have 2 backs in the game that you actually have a chance of using, not just a feature back and a blocker, ala Parker and Kreider. Don't get me wrong I love Kreider but he is not given the ball enough to be considered a running threat, you just know he's there to block. I'd love to see the novel approach of 2 backs who may actually run the ball on any given play.

BlackGold4vr
02-04-2007, 11:26 AM
It would be nice to go "old school" ,ala Franco and Rocky, and have 2 backs in the game that you actually have a chance of using, not just a feature back and a blocker, ala Parker and Kreider.

I agree seeing a 2 back field with 2 guys who are both a threat to run.........that would be sweet! But why not a duo of Parker/Hunt or Parker/Leonard? Both of those guys run with more power than Najeh and would be playing for less $$$ Did you not read the first post article? Take away a 48 yard run and this guy is averaging under 3 yards a carry!

AZPackerFan
02-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I was sorry to see Najeh leave Green Bay. It lessened the blow a bit by having him go to the Steelers. I thought Davenport did a pretty decent job for us, so losing him was tough. At least he's still wearing gold, although it's combined with black now instead of green! :helmet:

Blitzburgh55
02-04-2007, 12:47 PM
I like Najeh he can break some long runs i hope he stays

BlitzburghNation
02-04-2007, 12:58 PM
My :2cents: Worth is simple !
If Mr. davenport can earn his keep in training camp & beat out some Rook's
Then he'd deserve to stay,,,,,,,:clap: Late in season he did come on & played an important role on special teams :yesnod: He ran awful hard late in the year,,,,,,,,We'll all just have to let it play out :popcorn:

BlackGold4vr
02-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Take away that 48-yard carry and Davenportís average rushing attempt netted just 2.6 yards. Thatís not getting the job done. Even in his final season, Jerome Bettis average 3.3 yards per carry.

1. first down = 2.6 yds
2. second down = 2.6 yds
3. third down = 2.6 yds
= 7.8 yds and a punt

Agreed if he can outplay the rooks in ST then let him stay. But no player should be given a roster spot just because they are a veteran!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2007, 01:40 PM
I'd like to see him stick around too. It's unfair to judge his abilities or lack thereof when the guy came to us after the year already started. He had no training camp to learn with us and get the offense down so he was behind the 8ball from the get go. That being said when he actually got playing time he did better and better each week. He was injured here and there with the Pack but he stayed healthy for us and it's not like he's over the hill, or would cost us alot of cap room to resign. We could resign him for far less then we could sign to backs from the draft.

I want us to keep Najeh and sign him to say a 2 yr deal and draft 1 RB in the draft and see what develops from there. Many RB's come into the league in the rookie year and do well but Im not ready to bet the ship on having 2 rookie RB's backing up our only veteran I don't care what the odds are.

SteelerNation
02-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Keep

Enough Said

Koopa
02-04-2007, 03:26 PM
i like dookie, he's did good for us on special teams and as a 3rd down back......but he isn't a good compliment to willie, you can't compliment speed with another speed back.....we need a power back to compliment willie, and dookie will never be nothing more then what he is.......he's played this way his whole career and even with us, so he will never change....unless he comes cheap i say kick him to the curb, we can do better in the draft..............

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2007, 03:29 PM
The guy has a nice combination of speed and power. If he gets the chance with us in 2007 he could be something really special, plus he's a valuable guy to have because he can return kicks, cover on ST, and play RB.

DIESELMAN
02-04-2007, 03:37 PM
The one thing he did in GB that he didn't do here was get injured. Knock on wood. If he earns a roster spot keep him no more Deuces.....If he doesn't then its bye bye, same goes to all the other roster spots....Its time to put up or shut up!!!!!

Koopa
02-04-2007, 03:39 PM
actually for dookie, it's not put up or shut up, he's not under contract anymore....... it's up to tomlin and colbert now...............

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2007, 04:22 PM
I for one hope they give this dude a chance so we can see what he's capable of. The days of the Steeler strictly power running game are no here anymore. Now it's about a combination of power and speed; evidenced by Willie being the starter and doing very well; but we'll get a better idea of that theory pans out come this April.

Koopa
02-04-2007, 04:33 PM
you're right, we are now moving to a speed and power running game......so far all we have is speed, now it's time to get that power, bush/hunt/leonard will provide that power for us

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I've never considered Davenport a "speed" back, but sort of a combo of the speed and power. If we get him at a good price then why not invite to camp and add to the competition. We always bring in rookies but to just get rid of vets because they cost too much, that's not the way either. He also does more then just RB, he played pretty well on ST and lord knows we need all the help we can get there.

Koopa
02-04-2007, 04:46 PM
I've never considered Davenport a "speed" back, but sort of a combo of the speed and power. If we get him at a good price then why not invite to camp and add to the competition. We always bring in rookies but to just get rid of vets because they cost too much, that's not the way either. He also does more then just RB, he played pretty well on ST and lord knows we need all the help we can get there.

but i have yet to ever see him run with power............ you can't use the browns game when he was blowing a couple of ppl up because they had just let willie run for over 220 yards......... he is not a combo, never has and never will.....i much rather get a cheaper back with more potential then resigning him casue he is what he is and there's no changing.......

BB2W
02-04-2007, 04:46 PM
I want to see him back next season. :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2007, 04:48 PM
you're right, we are now moving to a speed and power running game......so far all we have is speed, now it's time to get that power, bush/hunt/leonard will provide that power for us

We've usually had a speed and power game with backs like Jerome and Bam, and back like Parker, Zeroue and Peagram. Im not saying all those names should necessarily be mentioned in the same breath ;) but more that we've had a speed guy and a power guy in the past but now with Willie who's got the speed and some power, we may not necessarily be looking for a pure power back anymore but rather just a bit of a bigger back that still has good speed.

Don't count out the versatility of Najeh being an option for us to bring back if it happens; that's the main reason Haynes is still on our squad, his versatility.

Koopa
02-04-2007, 04:51 PM
i like dookie as a third down back and a special teams player, and if he is willing to sign pretty cheap then i'll be all for him coming back...... put to even put power in the same sentence as him is not correct.....he rather run away from the defenders then bowl them over..........he is not a good compliment to willie, a straight up power back is............... and tomlin wants to go back to the grind it out running game, something dookie can't do, as he showed when we gave him the chance at the goal line, he couldn't force his way in for ****.........

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-04-2007, 04:54 PM
the way our line was playing nobody did,lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Dude, you can't say the guy doesnt run with power just because he didnt prove it to you on the goal line last year when the entire team sucked or because he didn't do so well in green bay because their OL sucks too. See, here you again with this absolute point of view you seem to harp on without taking in all the facts and intangibles and circumstances surrounding our running game. How do you know Tomlin wants a pure power back, did he tell you that personally? :hilarious: He said he wants to run first and stop the run; be a fundamentally sound football team etc. Najeh could be good for us or he might not be, but I think he deserves the chance to see what he can do.

Koopa
02-04-2007, 05:00 PM
dookie didn't run with power in green bay, and he didn't run with it at the U, the kind of back we saw this year is who he is, a big speed back, he much rather beat the defender with his speed then just go toe to toe with them like the bus......... i much rather go cheap and get someone with potential such as bush/hunt/leonard............ and again i like dookie, he just isn't a good compliment to willie

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2007, 05:04 PM
And what's wrong with that ? He can run by you or over you. I saw him drag some tacklers this season and it's not like the guy can't run. We don't have to have a Bus type running back to make this offense go. If we get one of those then that's great ! If we don't and we get a more combination type back to compliment Willie then Im fine with that too. Last I checked the Chargers don't not hand off the ball to LT near the goal line. He's not not exactly a power back but he gets the job done; and NO Im not comparing Najeh to LT :lol: but just the theory that if we get a good back who is power and speed combined vs a pure power back, it's not such a bad thing.

Ok Im out, time to go party for awhile and watch the game at my Brothers house. :tt02:

Koopa
02-04-2007, 05:07 PM
you must not watch a lot of chargers games, every one i saw he did good at the goal line..................plus he's to good he just gets in on his first run of the game and there's not that many goal line attempts

BlackGold4vr
02-04-2007, 05:39 PM
dookie didn't run with power in green bay, and he didn't run with it at the U, the kind of back we saw this year is who he is, a big speed back, he much rather beat the defender with his speed then just go toe to toe with them like the bus......... i much rather go cheap and get someone with potential such as bush/hunt/leonard............ and again i like dookie, he just isn't a good compliment to willie

If he was so good Green Bay would never have parted with him! Dookie, thank you, good luck and lastly...........good bye! Bush/Leonard/Hunt come on down! Plus we still have Kreider and Verron Haynes (although I would like Haynes to get his walking papers too). We can do better! He is not under contract so like Koopa says its up to Tomlin & staff now!

:beer4:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 01:17 AM
Keep Najeh before you keep Haynes man !

Im sorry but I just don't like trusting our running game to a bunch of unprovens without some veterans mixed in. Kreider never carries the ball so you can't count him. Haynes is always hurt so he doesn't count either. So that leaves Parker, Davenport and a Rookie to be had in the draft as our 3 guys plus Dan Kreider as FB and Kuhn as the 4th RB option to compete against the draft pick.

And Koopa don't you start in on Kuhn again ;)

Koopa
02-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Keep Najeh before you keep Haynes man !

Im sorry but I just don't like trusting our running game to a bunch of unprovens without some veterans mixed in. Kreider never carries the ball so you can't count him. Haynes is always hurt so he doesn't count either. So that leaves Parker, Davenport and a Rookie to be had in the draft as our 3 guys plus Dan Kreider as FB and Kuhn as the 4th RB option to compete against the draft pick.

And Koopa don't you start in on Kuhn again ;)

yeah i'd keep dookie over haynes just cause haynes if you look at him funny his leg breaks........and dookie was pretty badass receiving the ball out of the backfield

kuhn is garbage and has never showed anything, and don't bring up willie, cause willie showed he could be badass in training camp and preseason of his rookie year lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Well atleast we agree on Parker, Kreider, and alittle bit on Najeh, 3-5 aint bad :lol:

SteelersWoman
02-05-2007, 03:44 AM
He's a good 3rd stringer back with decent enough power and speed that he can go for a long one every once in awhile. He's not startin material, but definitely good, reliable back up material. Heck--if nothin else, keep him for ST.

Steelersfan
02-05-2007, 03:52 AM
Keep him if the price is right. If not we can find someone else to fill the limited role he had this past year.

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Bush/Leonard/Hunt come on down! Plus we still have Kreider and Verron Haynes (although I would like Haynes to get his walking papers too). We can do better! He is not under contract so like Koopa says its up to Tomlin & staff now!

:beer4:

So you want to start with Willie,Kreider and 3 unproven rookies?? IF they can get Najeh at the right price they get a veteran player who can help the team in more than 1 phase of the game.

K Train
02-05-2007, 05:10 PM
i say we just draft Bush, Leonard, or hunt to spell willie and let najeh play on special teams and run screens lol

Koopa
02-05-2007, 05:11 PM
So you want to start with Willie,Kreider and 3 unproven rookies?? IF they can get Najeh at the right price they get a veteran player who can help the team in more than 1 phase of the game.

no he wants hunt or bush or leonard........ or at least that's what i think he means when he says bush/hunt/leonard.......

that's the only way i want dookie back, is if he doesn't cost more then a rookie lol......he isn't worth big bucks.....

TEEMONT
02-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I say keep dookie, I thought he did great as a 3rd down back, he just needs to work on the blocking. I can't be sold on Bush, seeing as he missed a whole season. I wouldn't mind Hunt, but if we get a RB in the draft I want dude from Rutgers, we need a big boy.

big d
02-05-2007, 05:20 PM
I think we should keep dookie. I dont see the steelers drafting any running backs in day one. And I dont see them spending any money in free agency for a running back. I'm sure we can sign dookie for the nfl veterans minimum of 750,000 this year.

K Train
02-05-2007, 05:20 PM
im more for Bush or leonard in the second round, Leonard is a solid RUNNINGBACK NOT FULL BACK, and bush is a stud, hes huge and runs hard...very straight forward runner....played 1 quarter last season and had 3 TDs lol

TEEMONT
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
im more for Bush or leonard in the second round, Leonard is a solid RUNNINGBACK NOT FULL BACK, and bush is a stud, hes huge and runs hard...very straight forward runner....played 1 quarter last season and had 3 TDs lol

Ya but didn't he do it against Kentucky? They were 108th against the run last year.

Koopa
02-05-2007, 05:22 PM
I think we should keep dookie. I dont see the steelers drafting any running backs in day one. And I dont see them spending any money in free agency for a running back. I'm sure we can sign dookie for the nfl veterans minimum of 750,000 this year.

it's about time someone besides me calls him dookie lol..........

K Train
02-05-2007, 05:23 PM
kentucky i think, but thats besides the point, i liked him last year too...i just think hes gonna be good

TEEMONT
02-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Eh, I am worried that bringing in another "feature back" will scare Willie away in FA when his time comes.

Koopa
02-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Eh, I am worried that bringing in another "feature back" will scare Willie away in FA when his time comes.

which won't be for another 3 years........... willie will be with us for the rest of his career, he doesn't seem like a ******** that will just run off for more money, he signed a 4 year extension when he could've waited and probably got a shitload more money........i think he'll be loyal to art since art brought him in.....or at least that's what i think happened lol

i just want someone to help willie out, and dookie isn't a guy that can, he's good as a 3rd down back, and good on special teams, but i want us to get a back that when willie just isn't getting it done he can come in and take over for willie and pound on the defense and loosen them up a little and then have willie come back in and kill them with his speed.................i doubt we can get bush or hunt........if leonard is there in the 3rd and there isn't anyone better we might as well get him.....................

damn it sucks having a new coach, we don't have the slightest clue to what he's gonna do lol...........

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 05:35 PM
It's all a crap shoot really now till we get a feel of how Tomlin and Colbert will work together and draft strategy they will take.

If this were Cowher & Colbert, I'd say with confidence that there is no way in the world we take a RB on Day 1, but possibly one on day 2. With Tomlin we just don't know yet.

big d
02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
It's all a crap shoot really now till we get a feel of how Tomlin and Colbert will work together and draft strategy they will take.

If this were Cowher & Colbert, I'd say with confidence that there is no way in the world we take a RB on Day 1, but possibly one on day 2. With Tomlin we just don't know yet.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I think drafting a running back in day one would be a waste. I would love to get a lb,cb and o lineman the first day. I trust that willie can handle the load on his own if need be.

TEEMONT
02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
which won't be for another 3 years

3 years isn't that far away.....think about this, Ben is going into his 4th year now, 3 years goes fast. Either way, if we draft a "high-profiler" he is going to want too much money, and then walk in FA when his time comes, we will lsoe either the back we draft, or Willie within the next 3 years.

Koopa
02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
3 years isn't that far away.....think about this, Ben is going into his 4th year now, 3 years goes fast. Either way, if we draft a "high-profiler" he is going to want too much money, and then walk in FA when his time comes, we will lsoe either the back we draft, or Willie within the next 3 years.

or willie can realize it's good to have another back and resign..........................

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Stillers makes a good point. There's no way 2 feature backs can survive on 1 team. Bettis was the feature back with us and we drafted or picked up other players along the way that we hoped would be a good compliment to him; but with the understanding that Willie is the man ans as long as he continues to produce for us he will continue to be the man.

If we draft another RB who turns out to be a gem whether he's projected to be one or not, he will have to come in here with the realization that Willie is the man and he ( the new guy) is the backup. When contract time comes if Willie is still doing well for us then he will stay the starter; if he is not and the new guy is doing better then he'll have his opportunity to fight for the starting job.

Having said all that, I dont know if that "other guy" is Najeh or not but I'd like to see him get a chance to compete with whoever else we have in camp by the time July runs around for the starting backup spot. I'd be suprised if we took a day 1 RB at all unless circumstances allow a feature guy to fall to us and we've already address LB/DE, and OL.

Koopa
02-05-2007, 05:52 PM
that's why you draft leonard, no one will respect a white running back.....or so k-train says lol

SteelersWoman
02-05-2007, 05:53 PM
...I would love to get a lb,cb and o lineman the first day...

The way that Dick talked about us not having too much problem with doing a 4-3 scheme, (he even talked about being able to do it with the guys we already have) and with Mike liking the 4-3 better than our usual 3-4, what does everyone think the chances are of them goin after a big, tough, fast front lineman to help out with putting that in place? It wouldn't surprise me...

big d
02-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Stillers makes a good point. There's no way 2 feature backs can survive on 1 team. Bettis was the feature back with us and we drafted or picked up other players along the way that we hoped would be a good compliment to him; but with the understanding that Willie is the man ans as long as he continues to produce for us he will continue to be the man.

If we draft another RB who turns out to be a gem whether he's projected to be one or not, he will have to come in here with the realization that Willie is the man and he ( the new guy) is the backup. When contract time comes if Willie is still doing well for us then he will stay the starter; if he is not and the new guy is doing better then he'll have his opportunity to fight for the starting job.

Having said all that, I dont know if that "other guy" is Najeh or not but I'd like to see him get a chance to compete with whoever else we have in camp by the time July runs around for the starting backup spot. I'd be suprised if we took a day 1 RB at all unless circumstances allow a feature guy to fall to us and we've already address LB/DE, and OL.
I think having a two back system is the nfl way in todays game. Look at the two superbowl teams. They both had a great two back system. Same with the saints and chargers. There are only 5 nfl teams that will be looking for a starting running back this offseason. So you never know we could get a diamond in the rough come day two of the nfl draft.

K Train
02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
2 back system equals success, college backs are becoming less durable, but are better athletes. You dont really see that feature back very much, even a few years ago Duce and Bettis did great.

But look at all the duos, they all get alot of carries

Bettis, Parker
LT, Turner
Deuce, Bush
Jones, Barber
Jones, Benson
LJ, Holmes (2 years ago)
Brown, Williams
Maroney, Dillon
Taylor, Drew
Addai, Rhodes
Henry, Brown
Green, Morency
Portis, Betts
Foster, Williams
Dunn, Norwood

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Having a 2 back system is a good thing; in this day and age you have to have 2 viable options at least to be successful in the long haul of an entire season...but in those lists there is clearly 1 feature back and 1 backup guy. That's mainly what Im referring to.

In that list:

Bettis, Parker
LT, Turner
Deuce, Bush
Jones, Barber
Jones, Benson
LJ, Holmes (2 years ago)
Brown, Williams
Maroney, Dillon
Taylor, Drew
Addai, Rhodes
Henry, Brown
Green, Morency
Portis, Betts
Foster, Williams
Dunn, Norwood

There is clearly 1 guy who is the main RB and the other is a compliment to him. The guys on the left get the majority of the carries while the guys on the right fill in and pull their fair share too when called upon. There's always exceptions to the rule of course like last year when Bettis was the backup and Parker was the man since Bettis was in the twilight of his career. The duo's on that list where each is a viable option to be a starter; IMO sooner or later one of them will be gone either traded or released in FA because they'll both want starters money and want to be "the man" , it's almost inevitable if you ask me. It's great while it lasts but it generally doesn't last forever.

TEEMONT
02-05-2007, 06:28 PM
If you look at a lot of those 2 back systems, only a few will continue to be around with two big names, I know Turner is gone from SD soon. All the other ones, like TG said have a guy who is "the MAN" and another guy to kinda change the pace. Everyone talking about drafting Bush needs to think for a minute, that Bush wants to be the man, and he won't want to take a back seat to Willie.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 06:31 PM
The good thing is that competition breeds excellence and everybody should have to work for their jobs because the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league as we all know.

Having said that, we aren't going to be drafting a QB anytime soon because Ben is the man for us. The same can be said for Fast Willie in drafting a day 1 RB who is going to want to go to a team where he can start; which can be good or bad because there just isn't enough carriers to go around to everyone. Willie is our starter, he's earned it. All the other RB's on our team will be fighting to back him up and push for playing time but for the forseeable future Parker is our starter.

K Train
02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
but whats wrong with a 1 2 punch? its not like these are just strait up starters and backups anymore because all these guys get carries, and some of them get alot.

What woud be wrong with Bush wanting to be the guy, ooooo, 2 runningbacks of completly different styles who are competing to be the starter and both want to play very hard to impress the coach and play more than the other guy....that would be terrible

I love willie and i know the rest of you do but he cant do it alone and if another great runningback came in, willie would have to work harder....and if not, we still have a great runningback. Competion between 2 backs that both get carries is the way to go, tell me if we drafted bush and he tore it up against every defense you wouldnt mind seeing willie get less playing time. I know we love our players but come on....gotta do what it takes to win

TEEMONT
02-05-2007, 06:40 PM
but whats wrong with a 1 2 punch? its not like these are just strait up starters and backups anymore because all these guys get carries, and some of them get alot.

What woud be wrong with Bush wanting to be the guy, ooooo, 2 runningbacks of completly different styles who are competing to be the starter and both want to play very hard to impress the coach and play more than the other guy....that would be terrible

I love willie and i know the rest of you do but he cant do it alone and if another great runningback came in, willie would have to work harder....and if not, we still have a great runningback. Competion between 2 backs that both get carries is the way to go, tell me if we drafted bush and he tore it up against every defense you wouldnt mind seeing willie get less playing time. I know we love our players but come on....gotta do what it takes to win

Ummmm the problem with our "winning" isn't our running game, right now it's our passing game. We need a better O-line, and nothing is (usually) more of a sure thing than drafting Day 1 O-line talent. I am just saying, we won't have a chance for Bush, unless he is around in the 3rd round, or we trade for some picks.

big d
02-05-2007, 06:41 PM
If you look at a lot of those 2 back systems, only a few will continue to be around with two big names, I know Turner is gone from SD soon. All the other ones, like TG said have a guy who is "the MAN" and another guy to kinda change the pace. Everyone talking about drafting Bush needs to think for a minute, that Bush wants to be the man, and he won't want to take a back seat to Willie.

I agree with you. I wonder what the price tag is going to be for dominic rhodes. Rhodes was more succesfull as the number 2 rather then the number one. I would hate to see the steelers strap themselves on a backup running back for willie.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Nothing wrong at all with having a 1-2 punch; that's what I want as well. We need to have a couple good options atleast in our RB stable to make our offense work. The thing is, that drafting a RB in day 1 when we have other needs at LB, DE depth, and OL , just doesn't make sense to me for our upcoming draft.

Even if we get a guy on day 2 and he turns out to be awesome and push Willie for playing time that's an optimal situation to have because both guys are being productive and making each other better..the downside is that you end up putting all that time and energy in a guy only to see him go somewhere else. It's a catch 22 because you can't just have 1 guy and that's it but if you get 2 guys, sooner or later 1 of them leaves.

big d
02-05-2007, 06:48 PM
another thing with drafting another running back is that no running back ever went over 1000 yards when arians was with the browns. He is a pass first coordinator

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 06:55 PM
I would hope its a safe assumption that we're going to have Willie go over 1000 yds again for us in 2007. If we dont have a 1000 yd back in our offense then we are going nowhere fast by the time January comes. Ariens will help in the development of Ben and his skills, that much is certain but Tomlin isn't going to let us get to the point of being a Pass happy type of offense. :)

TEEMONT
02-05-2007, 07:04 PM
I would hope its a safe assumption that we're going to have Willie go over 1000 yds again for us in 2007. If we dont have a 1000 yd back in our offense then we are going nowhere fast by the time January comes. Ariens will help in the development of Ben and his skills, that much is certain but Tomlin isn't going to let us get to the point of being a Pass happy type of offense. :)

I agree, I don't see Willie rushng for less than 1,500 again. Ben will throw for over 3,000 this year, but it will be very consistent.

Arians is going to do nothing but help Ben, he won't hurt our running game, he knows what the sterngth of our O is. I see will averagin about 90 a game, with a little less that 1 TD a game. Ben is going to Average about 210 a game, with I think a little lestt than 2 TD's a game, I say he throws 30 TD's and 13 picks.

Weirdly enough, I am not that worried about the O. It's the D that worries me for some reason, but thats for another thread.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 08:57 PM
If Ben averages between 150-200 yds per game with atleast 1 TD, and Willie is rushing for close to or atleast 100 yds on average then that means the offense if firing on all cylinders and we're doing well. Of course there will be times when Ben has alot more yards and TD's or games when Willie doesn't do so well but overall I'd be happy with those consistent numbers.

K Train
02-05-2007, 08:58 PM
lets just hope for an uneventful offseason fo ben before we start predicting his numbers