PDA

View Full Version : What's your 5 favorite Steeler plays of all time?

ChucktownSteeler
07-11-2013, 08:07 PM
It's a slow time of year, so let's ask the question:

What's your 5 favorite Steeler plays of all time?

So many to choose from and I'm sure the "Immaculate Reception" will get it's share, but mine are:

Harrison's interception return vs. Cardinals in SB43.

Same game, Holmes game winning catch.

Hines Ward knocking Ed Reed cold vs. Ravens.

FWP's long TD run against Seahags, SB XL.

Franco's defiant TD run (up the gut) against Cowboys in SB.

These are but a few of mine, what's yours?

K Train
07-11-2013, 08:39 PM
holmes game winner is easily #1...it doesnt get better, the redemption of the dropped pass the play before, ben scrambling and throwing into triple coverage even though it was a poor decision it was one of the most brilliant throws, and the ward hugging him asking him if he got his feet down and holmes just smiling

after that it was ben with the sweet feet getting the tackle on nick harper against the colts, wouldnt be on the list if vanderjact didnt miss...but he did

kemo ploughing into carsons knee during a game i think they were going to lose that vaulted them to the superbowl (not ashamed of how messed up that is)

there was a play against the broncos that ward absolutely took champ bailey to school in the playoffs...if you watch it, its beautiful route running

ryan clarks hit on willis mcgahee that left him limp on the field and the raven came out to pray

aaronsmith91
07-11-2013, 08:55 PM
1. Troy's pick six in the AFC championship against Baltimore/Clark's hit on mcgahee
2. Harrison Pick SB 43
3. Deshea Townsend's pick 6 against the Cowboys in '08
4. Ben's 58 yrd bomb on 3rd and 19 against the Ravens in the 2010 Divisional Playoffs
5. Any play Aaron Smith made

Black@Gold Forever32
07-11-2013, 10:30 PM
1. Harrison's 100 yard pick six in Super Bowl XLIII

2. Holmes Super Bowl winning catch in Super Bowl XLIII

3. Kordell Stewart's 90 yard TD pass to Bobby Shaw vs the Ravens in Baltimore in 2001....The Ravens were the defending champs and that play was huge in that game and the Steelers retaking the AFC Central in 2001......

4. Ryan Clark's hit on Willis McGahee in the AFC title game.....I really thought McGahee was dead at first....lol

5. Bill Cowher's surprise onside kick call in Super Bowl XXX which was recovered by Deon Figures.....Of course the Steelers lost 27-17 but that surprise onside kick was a gutsy call and got them back in the game....To bad Neil O'Donnell blew it.......

Lemming
07-12-2013, 01:41 AM
Triple coverage throw? Hardly. Two defenders were trailing the play. They weren't covering Holmes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsVaHDntMq4

Where else should he have thrown that pass? Ward and Miller were covered. Nate Washington (playing with an injured shoulder suffered on that drive) slipped in the endzone, and Moore was shadowed.

Raleigh Steel
07-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Troy's interception and TD return vs the ravens in the AFCC to seal the game was a great play!

Stallworths over the shoulder catch for TD vs rams in SB14.

The bus running over urlacher at the goalline.

Ben to Holmes in SB43

Lambert tossing cliff Harris to the ground after taunting gerella. Not technically a play but it swung momentum in that game.

K Train
07-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Triple coverage throw? Hardly. Two defenders were trailing the play. They weren't covering Holmes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsVaHDntMq4

Where else should he have thrown that pass? Ward and Miller were covered. Nate Washington (playing with an injured shoulder suffered on that drive) slipped in the endzone, and Moore was shadowed.

still 3 guys there making holmes difficult to see. That is the hardest throw you can make and the hardest catch

TarlsQtr
07-12-2013, 10:54 AM
I do believe the Immaculate Reception is the obvious choice, so I am not counting it.

5. Greg Lloyd doing 3 count on Al Toon after the Thomas Everett hit knocked him cold (Lloyd knocked Pat Ryan out cold the same game). It is less awesome today with all of the concussion info we have but I thought it was great at the time. (Cannot even find video of it, but we beat the Jets 13-0 in 1989.)

4. Swann's 63 yard catch late in Super Bowl 10 on a deep post.

3. Stallworth's catch in SB 14.

2. Santonio Holmes.

1. Harrison's INT return for a TD. Holmes' catch is a great effort at the right time but we cannot forget that it was made possible by Harrison's INT that completely changed the game. We were going to be down at the half and instead went up 10. I will always love James for that play. He could rip Ben's head off and crap down the neckhole next year and I will still never say a bad word about the guy.

Lemming
07-12-2013, 11:24 AM
still 3 guys there making holmes difficult to see. That is the hardest throw you can make and the hardest catch

Where should he have thrown that pass? There's only two things that happen.

Catch.

Overthrown.

No way looking at the play, and where Ben put it, could that pass have been picked off. No chance.

K Train
07-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Goodbye Crash

ChucktownSteeler
07-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I also like the play where Ryan Clark laid out Wesley Welker. BOOM!

ChucktownSteeler
07-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Troy's interception and TD return vs the ravens in the AFCC to seal the game was a great play!

Stallworths over the shoulder catch for TD vs rams in SB14.

The bus running over urlacher at the goalline.

Ben to Holmes in SB43

Lambert tossing cliff Harris to the ground after taunting gerella. Not technically a play but it swung momentum in that game.

I knew the Bus over Urlacher would be mentioned. Good call!

ChucktownSteeler
07-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Not technically a play either, but in the same vein I liked the play against the Bengals when Kruzek was hit late out-of-bounds. Lambert charged down the sidelines and leveled the Bengal (can't recall who it was). We were fighting for our play-off lives and were down to our last serviceable QB.

It was awesome and that's one reason Lambert is my #1 Steeler all-time.

K Train
07-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Bettis over urlacher was just the turning point of the season, it was snowing and they were 7-5....just awesome

TarlsQtr
07-12-2013, 01:03 PM
holmes game winner is easily #1...it doesnt get better, the redemption of the dropped pass the play before, ben scrambling and throwing into triple coverage even though it was a poor decision it was one of the most brilliant throws, and the ward hugging him asking him if he got his feet down and holmes just smiling

after that it was ben with the sweet feet getting the tackle on nick harper against the colts, wouldnt be on the list if vanderjact didnt miss...but he did

kemo ploughing into carsons knee during a game i think they were going to lose that vaulted them to the superbowl (not ashamed of how messed up that is)

there was a play against the broncos that ward absolutely took champ bailey to school in the playoffs...if you watch it, its beautiful route running

ryan clarks hit on willis mcgahee that left him limp on the field and the raven came out to pray

All great plays, but I believe that you suffer from the same disease that most of us do, era bias.

Not one from the 70's? You may have been too young to remember (I have no idea how old you are) but surely something from that era has to make the list. :-)

K Train
07-12-2013, 01:11 PM
All great plays, but I believe that you suffer from the same disease that most of us do, era bias.

Not one from the 70's? You may have been too young to remember (I have no idea how old you are) but surely something from that era has to make the list. :-)

23, no 70s for me

coldrolled
07-12-2013, 01:26 PM
I also like the play where Ryan Clark laid out Wesley Welker. BOOM!

And a RB named McGahee

Rocky#20
07-12-2013, 02:30 PM
#1. Immacculate Reception
#2. Holmes Catch
#3. Harrison's Interception
#4. Troy's pick six of Flacco
#5. Randel-El pass to Hines

Black@Gold Forever32
07-12-2013, 04:17 PM

I was born in 79 so I didn't see any of the 70s plays......If I'm making a personal list then it has to be a play in my lifetime......Now if we're talking Greatest Steelers Plays of Alltime then yea plays from the 70s should be littered all over the place but the thread is Your 5 Favorite Steelers Plays so that I why I made plays that happened since I have been alive....

steelchamp204
07-12-2013, 06:00 PM
I wasnt around for the IR. So here is my list.

1. Holmes Td
2. Harrisons int td
3. Ben shoestring tackle against the colts
4. Bettis running over Urlacher
5. Clark laying out Welker
6. Troys fingertip int against the Chargers I believe in the snow.

Rocky#20
07-13-2013, 08:15 AM
The Immacculate Reception was blacked out in the Pittsburgh broadcasting area, so I had to listen to it on the radio. I think Jack Fleming was the announcer then and it took several minutes of shouting and confusion about what had happened, until it sunk in that the Steelers had somehow won the game.

Zachintosh66
07-13-2013, 09:56 AM
i wasnt alive for the IR

mine would be:
- Bettis over Urlacher
- Santonio in the SB
- Randle El to Ward in the SB
- Chris Fu scoring in the playoffs in OT vs Clev
- then prolly one of Clarks hits

ChucktownSteeler
07-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Also a great play, a few seasons ago Troy timing the snap count perfectly near the goal line, hurdling the line and sacking Kerry Collins. Collins got up, like WTF, and promptly went back into retirement. Not heard of since.

elephantman
07-15-2013, 10:42 AM
1. troys Pick 6 AFC title 2008.......

the reason would be its Troy my favorite player...and most importantly, should we lose another AFC title game at Home I would have shot myself....winning on the road in 05 in Denver was fine...but those 4 losses at home with Cowher I have never recovered from.....losing to the Pack in 2010 and cowboys in 95 in SB wernt as bad as I expected to lose....but not them Home AFC champ games

elephantman
07-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Also a great play, a few seasons ago Troy timing the snap count perfectly near the goal line, hurdling the line and sacking Kerry Collins. Collins got up, like WTF, and promptly went back into retirement. Not heard of since.

that was a great play, but Kerry collins did through a TD pass on very next play so it wasnt a game changer...but steelers did win

Root4Stlrs
07-15-2013, 02:47 PM

I was certainly alive during the 70s! However, I think I suffer from "more recent" bias. It's just that some of these plays are so much more vivid in my mind - in terms of real time impact. I don't think anyone could argue about the IR being number one in all-time Steeler plays, but, if you weren't alive when it happened, it wouldn't be your own personal favorite. Anyway, all my blah blah just relates to my having a hard time picking and ranking - we were at the game in Pittsburgh when Deshea intercepted Romo and ran it back for 6. In the context of that game and season and my own personal enjoyment, I have to rank it way up there. Also, Mike Wallace's toe tap against Green Bay and his catch and TD run in Phoenix are personal favorites, along with Antonio's helmet catch against Baltimore and catch to seal the deal on 3rd down against the Jets. My trifecta of favorites has to be 3) Troy intercepting Flacco in the AFC Championship, (2) Harrison's interception and TD run,
(1) Santonio's toe tap TD.

TarlsQtr
07-15-2013, 03:05 PM
I was certainly alive during the 70s! However, I think I suffer from "more recent" bias. It's just that some of these plays are so much more vivid in my mind - in terms of real time impact. I don't think anyone could argue about the IR being number one in all-time Steeler plays, but, if you weren't alive when it happened, it wouldn't be your own personal favorite. Anyway, all my blah blah just relates to my having a hard time picking and ranking - we were at the game in Pittsburgh when Deshea intercepted Romo and ran it back for 6. In the context of that game and season and my own personal enjoyment, I have to rank it way up there. Also, Mike Wallace's toe tap against Green Bay and his catch and TD run in Phoenix are personal favorites, along with Antonio's helmet catch against Baltimore and catch to seal the deal on 3rd down against the Jets. My trifecta of favorites has to be 3) Troy intercepting Flacco in the AFC Championship, (2) Harrison's interception and TD run,
(1) Santonio's toe tap TD.

I definitely agree with your assessment. I added Lloyd's count out of Al Toon not because of any significance for the franchise but because I was an adult at the time. I was a kid during the 70's era Steelers and although I remember most of the big plays, they are vague memories at best. I was just shy of 2 for the IR, so I would not remember that one even if it was on the tube at my house.

Another aspect of "era bias" is we can watch so much more football now. Whether it be NFL Sunday Ticket or via the internet, we can watch every Steeler game regardless of where we live. It was a rare treat to watch a game when I was a kid growing up in upstate NY where it was the Bills, Giants, or Jets on. I saw a lot more OJ than I did Franco.

steelchamp204
07-15-2013, 08:00 PM
I missed out on all of the 70's. Wasn't born until 88.

I also think when the Steelers broke Harbaughs pass to the endzone that took us to the superbowl in 95 I believe was a play I remember. That ball never seems to want to come down. It was a controversial call that all the colts players thought he caught it, but he didn't. That Hail Mary attempt always sticks in my mind.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-15-2013, 11:09 PM
I missed out on all of the 70's. Wasn't born until 88.

I also think when the Steelers broke Harbaughs pass to the endzone that took us to the superbowl in 95 I believe was a play I remember. That ball never seems to want to come down. It was a controversial call that all the colts players thought he caught it, but he didn't. That Hail Mary attempt always sticks in my mind.

Yes that was a crazy ending to the game and just a crazy game overall.......Colts actually had the lead late in that game if my memory serves me correct......Plus the Steelers did get a call in that game.....Kordell did step out of bounds in came back in on his TD catch but the refs missed it.....lol

elephantman
07-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Yes that was a crazy ending to the game and just a crazy game overall.......Colts actually had the lead late in that game if my memory serves me correct......Plus the Steelers did get a call in that game.....Kordell did step out of bounds in came back in on his TD catch but the refs missed it.....lol

willie williams? The colts had the lead and the ball late in 4th quarter.,..on 3rd and 3 colts are running it for a sure 1st down when Willie comes from behind and makes the biggest tackle of the entire decade....a tackle that i cant find on youtube or anywhere...but i will never forget it....had he not made tackle, we very likely lose that game...losing back to back at home OMG.....anyone remember? why is it so forgotton....this play was bigger than the hail mary miss

NeilPatrickBanana
07-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Least Favorite :
1. Running into the Kicker on Dewayne Washington in OT (Nedney flopped)
2. Tony Martin (Tim Mckeyer bit playaction hard)
3. Corey Holiday running the wrong route in the Super Bowl pick 6 (Neil, all class, took the blame)
4. Arian's Abortion vs Jacksonville (Ben run on 3rd down)
5. Ben GB Pick 6 (horrible playcall given feld position

TarlsQtr
07-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Least Favorite :
1. Running into the Kicker on Dewayne Washington in OT (Nedney flopped)
2. Tony Martin (Tim Mckeyer bit playaction hard)
3. Corey Holiday running the wrong route in the Super Bowl pick 6 (Neil, all class, took the blame)
4. Arian's Abortion vs Jacksonville (Ben run on 3rd down)
5. Ben GB Pick 6 (horrible playcall given feld position

Yep, I always thought that Neil got a raw deal from Steeler Nation on that one. I also think he was a much better QB than given credit for.

Rocky#20
07-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Least favorite brings back some painful memories, but I'll give it a try.
#1. O'Donnell's incompletion to Barry Foster vs. the Chargers.
#2. Running a delayed handoff to Melwede Moore from our own end zone that resulted in a safety against the Jets.
#3. We have the Broncos on the ropes in the AFC Championship game,Bettis is chewing up 5-6 yards every carry and we have first and goal at the 5. Then we call a first down pass that Kordell softly throws into a LB's waiting arms.
#4. Giving up 2 special teams TD's to the Pats,but we still have a chance to tie the game late when Kordell throws another pick.(Also AFC Championship game).
#5. The bogus roughing the kicker call on Dwayne Washington.
Not a play, but won of the biggest blunders of all time was drafting Gabe Rivera ahead of Dan Marino. We would have about 9 or 10 rings by now.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-16-2013, 04:48 PM
willie williams? The colts had the lead and the ball late in 4th quarter.,..on 3rd and 3 colts are running it for a sure 1st down when Willie comes from behind and makes the biggest tackle of the entire decade....a tackle that i cant find on youtube or anywhere...but i will never forget it....had he not made tackle, we very likely lose that game...losing back to back at home OMG.....anyone remember? why is it so forgotton....this play was bigger than the hail mary miss

Yes I remember it now since you mentioned it.....It was Lamont Warren who Williams tackled to and not Marshall Faulk, right?........Faulk was hurt and didn't play........

ARKIESTEEL
07-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I think it was 2004 when Staley was doing most of the running and Bettis was only out for goal line stuff, well it was the Dallas game that year when they called Bettis in to do his thing. The Dallas D crashes the middle and Bettis all but walks around the left side of the play for a TD

ChucktownSteeler
07-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Worst play ever? Either one of O'Donnell's Super Bowl interceptions.

NeilPatrickBanana
07-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Worst play ever? Either one of O'Donnell's Super Bowl interceptions.

actually, only one... on the 2nd INT, Corey Holliday ran the wrong route... some people incorrectly call out Hastings on the wrong route, but it was holiday. Hastings runs an inside curl (some mistakenly believe he was supposed to run and outside curl... and holiday runs a go, when he was supposed run an out.

when asked after the game if corey ran the wrong route, neil said no... because he would never throw a teammate under the bus. a day later holiday admitted he blew it and ran the wrong route.

(i'll keep correcting this til the day I die....)

steelersbabex25
07-23-2013, 10:44 PM
I too missed out on the 70s...by a long shot. So everything on my list is already mentioned but I'm glad Ben's tackle got a few mentions in this thread. One of the most clutch plays of all time. I was only 13 (I think) that year and it was my first year that I really was into the Steelers. Wasn't as knowledgeable back then but I watched every game and oh man, that would've been so heartbreaking to lose that way. I've seen a ton of plays similar to that one and the QB seems to whiff every time. Then again, I'm not sure why Harper didn't at least try to duke him out a little but hey, worked out for us in the end.

What an incredible season that was.

ChucktownSteeler
07-24-2013, 06:38 AM
actually, only one... on the 2nd INT, Corey Holliday ran the wrong route... some people incorrectly call out Hastings on the wrong route, but it was holiday. Hastings runs an inside curl (some mistakenly believe he was supposed to run and outside curl... and holiday runs a go, when he was supposed run an out.

when asked after the game if corey ran the wrong route, neil said no... because he would never throw a teammate under the bus. a day later holiday admitted he blew it and ran the wrong route.

(i'll keep correcting this til the day I die....)

No matter what happened by who, it is my worst play. At the time it cost us "One for the Thumb".

Raleigh Steel
07-24-2013, 07:02 AM
I think it was 2004 when Staley was doing most of the running and Bettis was only out for goal line stuff, well it was the Dallas game that year when they called Bettis in to do his thing. The Dallas D crashes the middle and Bettis all but walks around the left side of the play for a TD

wasn't there one game where bettis had 4 carries, 1 yard, and 3 tds? or some ridiculous stat line?

NeilPatrickBanana
07-24-2013, 09:51 AM
No matter what happened by who, it is my worst play. At the time it cost us "One for the Thumb".

I agree. I just think Neil gets too much blame for a play that wasn't his fault. I listed it in my top 5 worst plays, but by referring to it properly: "Corey Holliday running the wrong route". Place the blame where it belongs

Rocky#20
07-24-2013, 11:40 AM
The reason Harper didn't try and juke Ben out of the way is because his wife stabbed him in the knee the night before, and he could only run in a straight line because of the stitches.

Farrior Fan
07-25-2013, 05:10 AM
Best play ever was Lambert tossing Cliff Harris around like a rag doll. Turned the tide in a Super Bowl, and it just reinforces the Lambert badass image. If he played today he would only play in 4 games a year, he would be in Goodells office the rest of the season.

Farrior Fan
07-25-2013, 05:10 AM
The reason Harper didn't try and juke Ben out of the way is because his wife stabbed him in the knee the night before, and he could only run in a straight line because of the stitches.

God bless her.

ChucktownSteeler
07-25-2013, 07:09 AM
I agree.

BlacknGoldHaze
07-27-2013, 09:47 AM
5. Donnie Shell's rib cracking tackle on Earl Campbell
4. Swann's 64 yard TD in SB X
3. Ward's TD catch from El in SB XL
2. Immaculate reception
1. Holmes TD in SB XLIII

Nolrog
08-01-2013, 09:12 AM

I agree. Perhaps the greatest single play in football history, the Immaculate Reception and no one mentioned it.

steelersbabex25
08-01-2013, 10:15 AM
I agree. Perhaps the greatest single play in football history, the Immaculate Reception and no one mentioned it.

Because the immaculate reception goes without mentioning.

(also a lot of people did mention it)

ChucktownSteeler
08-01-2013, 09:02 PM

It's mentioned numerous times, including the very first post.