PDA

View Full Version : Could you handle a longer NFL season?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 09:07 PM
The NBA has what, 82 games, MLB has a 162 games, NHL, MLS, etc..they all have longer seasons than the NFL. We all know the physical nature of the NFL, etc. and the reasons the NFL has fewer games, etc. but Ive often wondered if the NFL would lengthen their regular season would I be able to handle it ? :lol:

My nerves are shot by the time December hits as it is whether we're in the playoffs or not but what if training camp started in May, preaseason in June and the regular season in July? Could you handle that much football? or is the current format satisfy your gridiron desires ?

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-03-2007, 09:10 PM
There is never enough NFL football. Question is where would they get the talent to keep the games competitive. If they maker the season longer. Which means more injuries.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2007, 09:12 PM
I could handle but I don't think the players could. But if the NFL continues to water down the game with rule changes then maybe. I mean in 15-20 years the players might be playing touch/flag football.lol

Steelersfan
02-03-2007, 09:48 PM
I could see maybe adding 1-2 more games but that would be about it. These guys take too much of a beating to play a ton of games.

DIESELMAN
02-03-2007, 09:58 PM
I could handle but I don't think the players could.
I agree.....I like it the way it is mostly cuz the Super Bowl falls damn near on my b-day......lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 10:02 PM
They'd have to put another bye week in if they added any more than 2 more games I would think also.

Blitzburgh55
02-03-2007, 11:08 PM
I dont ever think they will add more games
They dont really need to

BlitzburghNation
02-03-2007, 11:23 PM
I agree.....I like it the way it is mostly cuz the Super Bowl falls damn near on my b-day......lol

Also it's close to my B-day,,,,,,,,,,, :clap:

I like the 17 week 16 game season the way it is ,,,,,,,, These guys can't
handle anymore games then that,,,,,,,,,I could handle football year round THOUGH :tt02:

House of Steel
02-03-2007, 11:23 PM
it is fine the way it is, 16 games is enough.

Captcoolhand
02-04-2007, 01:37 AM
The NBA has what, 82 games, MLB has a 162 games, NHL, MLS, etc..they all have longer seasons than the NFL. We all know the physical nature of the NFL, etc. and the reasons the NFL has fewer games, etc. but Ive often wondered if the NFL would lengthen their regular season would I be able to handle it ? :lol:

My nerves are shot by the time December hits as it is whether we're in the playoffs or not but what if training camp started in May, preaseason in June and the regular season in July? Could you handle that much football? or is the current format satisfy your gridiron desires ?
Without even looking at the Posts I just like to know how everybody gets paid more than football when football takes the most punishment:scratch:

floodcitygirl
02-04-2007, 01:51 AM
I could handle it but as has been said, I don't know that the players could. Off season sucks!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2007, 02:56 AM
Without even looking at the Posts I just like to know how everybody gets paid more than football when football takes the most punishment:scratch:

The NFL rakes in 25 billion per year on TV deals alone. If the teams played more games the contracts and salaries would skyrocket just baseball and basketball does. My games=more ticket sales=longer contracts=larger contracts. Even with the salary cap the way it is it won't be long before we start seeing 150 million dollar deals being a common place thing IMO.

BlitzburghNation
02-04-2007, 03:09 AM
I'm sure we all would like a longer season but the players couldn't :dunno:

Koopa
02-04-2007, 03:19 AM
bah, unless it's steelers football i could care less, i rarely watch sunday night football or monday night football unless it's the steelers..........

Captcoolhand
02-04-2007, 03:34 AM
The NFL rakes in 25 billion per year on TV deals alone. If the teams played more games the contracts and salaries would skyrocket just baseball and basketball does. My games=more ticket sales=longer contracts=larger contracts. Even with the salary cap the way it is it won't be long before we start seeing 150 million dollar deals being a common place thing IMO.
Not Trying to change the subject But why in the F*ck are we(they) going across seas:scratch:

PITT23
02-04-2007, 06:29 PM
In my opinion, the preseason should only be 2 games and then have an 18 week regular season. A ton of players hate the preseason anyways and two games + training camp should be enough to see players who are on the fence of making the team.

Hawk Believer
02-04-2007, 06:48 PM
The season shouldn't have any more games. Sure, the NBA plays a lot of games. But they play so many that you have to watch a bunch of guys walking the ball up the court for 3 quarters until it gets to the playoffs. I don't blame the guys though, they just can't sustain a high level of play for that many games. I wouldn't want extra games in the NFL to decrease the quality of the games.

Here is a thought though. What if they added another bye or two? Then the season would go longer and teams would have more ability to recover from injuries. Sure, bye weeks are a drag when you don't get to watch your team. But its still fun to watch some other games...

OneSteelSoldier
02-05-2007, 02:59 PM
In my opinion, the preseason should only be 2 games and then have an 18 week regular season. A ton of players hate the preseason anyways and two games + training camp should be enough to see players who are on the fence of making the team.Pitt, I think that that is the way it's gonna be someday. Add two more regular season games, and increase the amount of players that you can keep on the practice squad. I think that this would fix the problem, of not having four pre-season games.

AZ_Steeler
02-05-2007, 03:08 PM
The only problem I see with making the season longer is all the record holders because now players would have even more games to shatter records and then people will wonder why those from way back when really sucked!

I love football, but I think it's current season length is perfect. It's not to long, it's not to short and it always builds up anticipation every week! :cope:

The Playoffs could be extended more but then you have way to many mediocre teams in the playoffs... especially in the NFC :)