PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward vs. Michael Irvin

TEEMONT
02-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Irvin's career Stats:

REC: 750 Yards: 11904 TD's: 65 YPC: 15.9 Pro Bowls: 5

Hines Wards career stats:

REC: 648 Yards: 8005 TD's: 58 YPC: 12.4 Pro Bowls: 4

Irvin played for 12 years, Hines only has 9 so far, so he has 3 years to catch up to Irvin. If he does, and wins a one more Super Bowl, should in hines be in the HOF?

Another note, correct me if I am wrong but I dont think Irvin was ever SB MVP.

K Train
02-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Irvin's career Stats:

Irvin played for 12 years, Hines only has 9 so far, so he has 3 years to catch up to Irvin. If he does, and wins a one more Super Bowl, should in hines be in the HOF?

Another note, correct me if I am wrong but I dont think Irvin was ever SB MVP.

thats ALOT of TDs

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2007, 05:03 PM
No Irvin was never Super Bowl MVP. Five WR's have on Super Bowl MVP. Fred Biletnikoff, Lynn Swann, Jerry Rice,Deion Branch and Hines Ward.

I think Irvin should have made and I think if Hines never played another game he deserves it to.

TEEMONT
02-03-2007, 05:05 PM
thats ALOT of TDs

Read it more carefully this time homeboy.

No Irvin was never Super Bowl MVP. Five WR's have on Super Bowl MVP. Fred Biletnikoff, Lynn Swann, Jerry Rice,Deion Branch and Hines Ward.

I think Irvin should have made and I think if Hines never played another game he deserves it to.

I wanna say the same thing, but with all the great WR's we have these days, its tough to validate Hines getting in over say, someone like Randy Moss, based on stats.

Koopa
02-03-2007, 05:07 PM
hines is a hall of famer, it may be the senior bowl hall of fame, but he's still in a hall of fame lol

hines will be in the nfl hall of fame....he's done so much for the steelers not to be in it............

AZ_Steeler
02-03-2007, 05:08 PM
thats ALOT of TDs

You read it wrong because I did the same thing first when I looked at it :lol:

Irvin's career Stats:

It's REC, then yards, then TD's :bigthumb:

IMO, Ward is already a lock for the HOF as long as his continues to put the numbers he has. He is in striking distance of Irvin's stats plus the kicker for Ward is the Super Bowl MVP.

K Train
02-03-2007, 05:09 PM
lol i know, it just reads funny

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Read it more carefully this time homeboy.

I wanna say the same thing, but with all the great WR's we have these days, its tough to validate Hines getting in over say, someone like Randy Moss, based on stats.

Stillers, you make a great point about the stats. Just look at Art Monk and how he gets passed over every year. But I know Hines Ward has so much respect across league circles for being a complete player that I think when Hines does retire the voters will include his blocking in with his stats as a WR. Lets say Hines gets 80 TD's. Which I think is very possible. Not alot of WR's have had 80 or more TD's in their career.

TEEMONT
02-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Stillers, you make a great point about the stats. Just look at Art Monk and how he gets passed over every year. But I know Hines Ward has so much respect across league circles for being a complete player that I think when Hines does retire the voters will include his blocking in with his stats as a WR. Lets say Hines gets 80 TD's. Which I think is very possible. Not alot of WR's have had 80 or more TD's in their career.

I agree with ya I didn't really think of that at all. I still don't think Irvin deserved to be in though.

DIESELMAN
02-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Ward started to break down last season. If hes going to beef up his stats he needs to take even better care of himself, he doesn't have that many years left.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Ward started to break down last season. If hes going to beef up his stats he needs to take even better care of himself, he doesn't have that many years left.

Yes he did. But I'm hoping that this past season was a fluke from an injury stand point and that Hines has 2-3 good years left in him.

DIESELMAN
02-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes he did. But I'm hoping that this past season was a fluke from an injury stand point and that Hines has 2-3 good years left in him.
Me to brother.....

Koopa
02-03-2007, 06:55 PM
I agree with ya I didn't really think of that at all. I still don't think Irvin deserved to be in though.

why??? he was a big part of what the stupid cowboys did a long time ago.....if smith and troy deserve in, why shouldn't he???

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 07:15 PM
I wonder how much of Irvin's stash he had to give away to the voters to get in ?

TEEMONT
02-03-2007, 07:17 PM
why??? he was a big part of what the stupid cowboys did a long time ago.....if smith and troy deserve in, why shouldn't he???

IMO if Art Monk doesnt make it in, Irvin shouldnt be in there.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 07:29 PM
The HOF isn't just about stats; it's about character, attitude, commitment to the game, all the qualities that make an NFL player special. Art Monk had all these qualities and Irvin just had good stats but was far from the epitomy of what the NFL HOF is really about.

Koopa
02-03-2007, 07:32 PM
oh, i always thought it was what you did on the field..........i could care less what ppl do on their spare time, just as long as they produce.....if hines was killing baby kitties as a hobby and selling crack to all mix korean kids i wouldn't care just as long as he produced on the field.......

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 07:38 PM
if hines was killing baby kitties as a hobby and selling crack to all mix korean kids i wouldn't care just as long as he produced on the field.......

WTF !! :lol: :lol:

The voters, many of which are old school mentality type thinkers, don't take kindly to players for example of TO who by the time he's done with the NFL will probably have HOF type stats but his chances of getting are slim to none at best.

BlitzburghNation
02-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Problem with HOF is they've got wrong people voting !
They need to put X players in there to vote !
If anyone has gotten the shaft over the years it's been Ray Guy !

Koopa
02-03-2007, 07:50 PM

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing some former players join in on the voting process however I think you need to have a mix of players and non players to keep things from getting out of whack because non players don't always see it from a players point of view; and players tend to be biased at times so it's a tough decision no matter what.

BlitzburghNation
02-03-2007, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing some former players join in on the voting process however I think you need to have a mix of players and non players to keep things from getting out of whack because non players don't always see it from a players point of view; and players tend to be biased at times so it's a tough decision no matter what.

That's what I'm saying,,,,,,, they need to add retired players to give players view !
People voting now have never played a down !

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 08:52 PM
I must say I'm impressed with Irvin after just watching him in NFLN. He was very humble and thankful for being voted in. We all know he's a show boater and one arrogant SOB, but at least he appeared to show that he was very thankful and humbled by the experience.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Well LT is in the Hall of Fame. He was a great LB. But he had questionable character just Michael Irvin.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 09:09 PM
I agree, and those 2 aren't the first to get voted in where character was a question in the minds of atleast some but overall most of the members are pretty standup individuals both as players and human beings.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2007, 09:15 PM
I agree, and those 2 aren't the first to get voted in where character was a question in the minds of atleast some but overall most of the members are pretty standup individuals both as players and human beings.

Thats why I think Irvin deserves to get in. They have let others with questionable character in so the voters shouldn't keep Irvin out. I agree Irvin is a big douche bag but he was a great WR. As for Art Monk thats just stupid why he is left out. But LC Greenwood and Donnie Shell both deserve to get in also but they keep getting screwed as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 10:12 PM
I guess my whole gripe is that those questionable characters shouldn't have been let in, in the first place. Although people can change, and I give props to the douche bag if this experience really did change him :lol:

OneSteelSoldier
02-04-2007, 02:45 AM
The HOF isn't just about stats; it's about character, attitude, commitment to the game, all the qualities that make an NFL player special. Art Monk had all these qualities and Irvin just had good stats but was far from the epitomy of what the NFL HOF is really about.Yeah! Irvin wasn't even good in the Culinary Arts like O.J. was, and he still got in. lol

Stairwayto7
02-04-2007, 08:59 AM
I`m a little surprised that the numbers are that close? Hines is just consistent, I never really payed attention to his stats, but they just keep growing and growing. I hate Irvin, but that SOB, if you threw it up in his vicinity, he brought it down.

HOF Class of 2015 Hines Ward

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2007, 09:32 AM
If Hines isn't a first ballot HOF'r then I don't know who is.

TampaSteelGirl
02-04-2007, 12:19 PM
I agree, HInes will definately be a HOFer no matter what. One thing that bothered me was I can understand not going to Pro Bowl this year but last year he didn't even go. I thought he did great statistically last year, he was a SB MVP why not a Pro Bowler! I think he was surprised as well!

TEEMONT
02-04-2007, 02:36 PM

OK, Ray Guy kicked a football. He does not deserve to be in the HOF, for kicking a damn football. If anyone got the shaft, its Art Monk.

Anyways, what I was saying in this thread was that the whole Irvin induction opens the door to a lot of WR with mediocre numbers. IMO Hines doesn't have HOF numbers, and he probably won't. He isnt in the top 30 all time in catches (at least I dont think he is, I am probably wrong). Irvin getting in not only opens the door to Hines possibly, but Keenan Mcardell, Issac Bruce, Tory Holt, CJ, Steve Smith, and several others, WR is going to end up overpopulated in the Hall if you ask me.

Emmit is the all-time leading rusher, so thats a no-brainer. Troy is a QB of a 3 time SB champ, and I believe he took home at least one SB MVP, he is also in the top 20 in Pass completions and passing yards all time. Irvin is in just b/c he was part of the "Big 3" even though he was the least productive member.