PDA

View Full Version : LaMarr Woodley is 'getting after it'

SnakeEyes43
05-06-2013, 11:03 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/69884/wake-up-lamarr-woodley-is-getting-after-it

STEELERS: Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette he's "getting after it" with his offseason conditioning. Nearly three months ago, an unnamed teammate called out Woodley, saying the reason he was always hurt was because he was out of shape. Woodley said Saturday that he's been training since the middle of February. "My thing was during the season when I hurt my ankle, I said that I wanted to come back stronger next year," Woodley said. "Some injuries you can't predict or avoid, but, during the season, I said this offseason I'd be determined to get after it."

Real Deal Steel
05-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Good to hear. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that there are no injuries.

SnakeEyes43
05-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Yeah, it's certainly good news. Hopefully he isn't bulking up trying to get "stronger" like the article mentioned. I'd like to Woodley a little leaner and have more speed.

ice cream glove
05-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Why would he "bulk up" when he was 30 lbs overweight? I am not saying he should not lift (I don't think he was even bothering to lift last year) but that scale better go down, not up.

LatrobePA
05-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Why would he "bulk up" when he was 30 lbs overweight? I am not saying he should not lift (I don't think he was even bothering to lift last year) but that scale better go down, not up.

Who was his competition in camp last year? No one, why bother spending all offseason when your job is handed to you!

Steelergolfer59
05-07-2013, 01:55 PM
He needs to work out with Timmons that dude is a lean player killin machine!

Big T
05-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Who was his competition in camp last year? No one, why bother spending all offseason when your job is handed to you!

Ya because it wasn't reported during training camp that he was in the best shape he had been in in recent years, or anything like that.

ice cream glove
05-07-2013, 02:50 PM

Well, if you have any self-respect, you still do your best because you are being paid to do your job. But, you also bring up a good point: Having coaches who allow for an environment of "your job is a given" leads to team discipline problems which Woodley's shape was a manifestation of. Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Tom Coughlin or Belichick would never allow for players to remain so sloppy no matter who they were.

LatrobePA
05-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Competition is needed, he's a vet so in Tomlin's system he's a starter! To me Woodley has a **** ton to prove this season. 1st can he stay healthy, 2nd can he be a disruptive player?? I hope so!

ice cream glove
05-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Competition is needed, he's a vet so in Tomlin's system he's a starter! To me Woodley has a **** ton to prove this season. 1st can he stay healthy, 2nd can he be a disruptive player?? I hope so!

I am disappointed they didn't force him to take a pay cut. And before anyone claims that the Steelers always stick to the contract, that is a lie. Harrison was not allowed to keep the contract he signed. So they DO pull back on deals that they sign. Anyone claiming otherwise is not clued in. Both Woodley and Polamalu should be asked to take pay cuts. Paying $20 million on two players, who missed much of last year, and totally under-performed when they did play should not be allowed to keep those huge contracts. At LEAST cut them down to 6-7 mill each. It's not like that isn't fair and meeting them half way. This is a business; treat it like one. Especially Woodley. He was the one responsible for being 30 lbs overweight; no one forced those forks into his face.

K Train
05-07-2013, 04:29 PM

he didnt just not lift last year you fool

K Train
05-07-2013, 04:37 PM
I am disappointed they didn't force him to take a pay cut. And before anyone claims that the Steelers always stick to the contract, that is a lie. Harrison was not allowed to keep the contract he signed. So they DO pull back on deals that they sign. Anyone claiming otherwise is not clued in. Both Woodley and Polamalu should be asked to take pay cuts. Paying $20 million on two players, who missed much of last year, and totally under-performed when they did play should not be allowed to keep those huge contracts. At LEAST cut them down to 6-7 mill each. It's not like that isn't fair and meeting them half way. This is a business; treat it like one. Especially Woodley. He was the one responsible for being 30 lbs overweight; no one forced those forks into his face.
Woodley wasnt overweight at training camp last year, he came in very good shape...when he started to get hurt his weight went up, maybe do to poor conditioning but not overweight. Last year butler said he was lighter than hes ever been after he called him out and told him to not even think about showing up to camp 280-290, so once again you know nothing. He had a really slow start to the season and was derailed by injury from then on out.

I think he bounces back this year, he gets a pass though. Its just not possible to condition yourself for the end of the year with a bum hamstring

ice cream glove
05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Woodley wasnt overweight at training camp last year, he came in very good shape...when he started to get hurt his weight went up, maybe do to poor conditioning but not overweight. Last year butler said he was lighter than hes ever been after he called him out and told him to not even think about showing up to camp 280-290, so once again you know nothing. He had a really slow start to the season and was derailed by injury from then on out.

I think he bounces back this year, he gets a pass though. Its just not possible to condition yourself for the end of the year with a bum hamstring

It makes it more difficult, for sure. But did someone put a gun to his head and make him eat enough to turn him into a blob? Bad hammie or not, he must have been plowing down 5,000 calories a day. Just give it the eye test and what do you see? That LW was overweight, period. And even after his hammie got better, he still sucked so bad. He was invisible out there. He did nothing. And for that they are paying $10 million? That is ludicrous.

ice cream glove
05-07-2013, 04:43 PM
he didnt just not lift last year you fool

OK, MORON, now try it in English this time. What are you attempting to blather about?

Crash
05-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Woodley is wasted far too much in pass coverage. That has nothing to do with hamstrings.

K Train
05-07-2013, 05:05 PM
OK, MORON, now try it in English this time. What are you attempting to blather about?

He didn't just not lift last year, you fool. He might have gotten lazy but he didnt just hang out on the couch

ice cream glove
05-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Woodley is wasted far too much in pass coverage. That has nothing to do with hamstrings.

Well, carrying around an extra 30 lbs doesn't help him cover people either.

ice cream glove
05-07-2013, 05:26 PM
He didn't just not lift last year, you fool. He might have gotten lazy but he didnt just hang out on the couch

He sure looked like he did. Not only did it look like he "hung out on the couch" but it looked like he was also crushing large pizzas and gallons of beer or non-diet pop as well.

SteelCityKid5
05-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Is it possible to block members on here?

Nolrog
05-07-2013, 07:46 PM
I thought he was banging Kim Kardashian, and that's what he was "getting after."

steelchamp204
05-08-2013, 01:59 PM
If he dropped 15 pounds, that'd be great. I think he will be little less bulky this season also. Which is a good thing to be quicker.

polamalu43
05-09-2013, 12:57 AM
This is Wood's year.........if not then we start phasing him out. I sure hope he brings it.

coldrolled
05-09-2013, 07:13 AM
This is Wood's year.........if not then we start phasing him out. I sure hope he brings it.

Hes a hamstring away from having Worilds and Jones take his job... He better shape up...

K Train
05-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Hes a hamstring away from having Worilds and Jones take his job... He better shape up...

id much rather prefer worilds being a stud first round OLB away from losing his job. Woodley and Jones such sounds dreamy to me

Im not as down on woodley as most are, hes just gotta stay healthy which he can do. Just cause a player gets hurt one years doesnt guarantee they are going to be burdened by injuries their whole career, which seems to be the consensus around here every time a player gets hurt

HumanPudding
05-09-2013, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=K Train; Im not as down on woodley as most are, hes just gotta stay healthy which he can do. Just cause a player gets hurt one years doesnt guarantee they are going to be burdened by injuries their whole career, which seems to be the consensus around here every time a player gets hurt[/QUOTE]
..this

Real Deal Steel
05-09-2013, 10:13 AM
id much rather prefer worilds being a stud first round OLB away from losing his job. Woodley and Jones such sounds dreamy to me

Im not as down on woodley as most are, hes just gotta stay healthy which he can do. Just cause a player gets hurt one years doesnt guarantee they are going to be burdened by injuries their whole career, which seems to be the consensus around here every time a player gets hurt

I too think Woodley still has more in the tank. I'm not too concerned about him having a good year.

coldrolled
05-09-2013, 10:16 AM

It takes alot of rehab to get the hammy back to solid shape and ready for abuse... he better have done that already. Pressure was just applied to him with Jones.