PDA

View Full Version : Starting lineup

jpele
05-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Yes I know camp hasn't started and the seasons a long way off but as of todasy here's who I see as our starters.

Offense

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Le'Veon Bell*
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Emmanuel Sanders
WR: Jerricho Cotchery..Wheaton takes over by week 4
TE: Heath Miller..........David Paulson if Heath isn't ready to go
LT: Marcus Gilbert.......I'd feel a lot better if Starks were to return.
LG: Ramon Foster
C: Maurkice Pouncey
RG: David DeCastro
RT: Mike Adams

Defense

LE: Ziggy Hood
RE: Brett Keisel
NT: Steve McLendon
ILB: Lawrence Timmons
ILB: Larry Foote
OLB: LaMarr Woodley
OLB: Jarvis Jones*
RCB: Ike Taylor
LCB: Cortez Allen
FS: Ryan Clark
SS: Troy Polamalu

Any thoughts or changes.

Number99
05-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Jones will not start over Woirlds. Other then that most likely as the roster stands today.

ChucktownSteeler
05-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Good list, but:

Heath won't be ready
I am not sure Bell is the starter (maybe)
Jones won't start over Worilds
Max Starks will be back at LT

coldrolled
05-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Noone can beat Foote?? That sucks. he is so much a backup.

scudmissile29
05-06-2013, 09:37 AM
I'd like to see Jones beat out Worilds.

Big T
05-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Damn SteelDawgSwag... I mean Flame... I mean scudmissle29. How many times are you going to change your name? Lol.

K Train
05-06-2013, 09:59 AM
I'd like to see Jones beat out Worilds.

coming from a long time worilds fanboy

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
you left out one of the most interesting camp battles : Who will the nickle be?

I'm looking forward to Josh Victorian battling in camp for that job

I also think Adams is the long term answer at LT, and I am looking forward to see how he progresses through camp. Maybe it's not this year, but he is the long term solution IMO.

and Please lord let someone take Ziggy Hood's job... holy waste of a starting job

Crash
05-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Yes I know camp hasn't started and the seasons a long way off but as of todasy here's who I see as our starters.

Offense

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Le'Veon Bell*
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Emmanuel Sanders
WR: Jerricho Cotchery..Wheaton takes over by week 4
TE: Heath Miller..........David Paulson if Heath isn't ready to go
LT: Marcus Gilbert.......I'd feel a lot better if Starks were to return.
LG: Ramon Foster
C: Maurkice Pouncey
RG: David DeCastro
RT: Mike Adams

Defense

LE: Ziggy Hood
RE: Brett Keisel
NT: Steve McLendon
ILB: Lawrence Timmons
ILB: Larry Foote
OLB: LaMarr Woodley
OLB: Jarvis Jones*
RCB: Ike Taylor
LCB: Cortez Allen
FS: Ryan Clark
SS: Troy Polamalu

Any thoughts or changes.

Haley is not going to use a 3 wide base and abandon his love for multiple TE's, nor is he going to dump the fullback and feel the wrath of the Yinzers. If he didn't do it when he HAD Wallace, he most certainly isn't going to do it with he doesn't have him.

Real Deal Steel
05-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Jones is going to start. But this should sure put a fire in Worilds. I love compitition.

SnakeEyes43
05-06-2013, 11:18 AM
I don't think Heath will be ready until around weeek 4, Worlids will start the year opposite of Wood, and I think there's a pretty good chance we bring Starks back. Just my thoughts.

And even though Foote played solid last year, I don't really like him starting. I really wish Spence could have been playing next to Timmons this year.

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Jones is going to start. But this should sure put a fire in Worilds. I love compitition.

I want Jones to win the starting job... but why do you seem so sure, since pretty much no rokie has ever started from week 1 on defense

K Train
05-06-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't think Heath will be ready until around weeek 4

what are you basing this on?

Real Deal Steel
05-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Are there any recent updates on Heath? I've seen none.

SnakeEyes43
05-06-2013, 11:38 AM
what are you basing this on?

Previous experience with knee injuries, and I was also factoring in his age. I have no source, that's why I said "just my thoughts". I certainly hope he's ready week 1.

K Train
05-06-2013, 11:55 AM
it would be either week one or week six at this point. I havent heard anything but im pretty sure he'll either be ready or have to be PUPd

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 11:58 AM
it would be either week one or week six at this point. I havent heard anything but im pretty sure he'll either be ready or have to be PUPd

agreed...
and the lack of attention given to the position in the draft/free agency, leads one to believe he'll be ready for week one... but the history of the injury, and the demands of the position have me leaning in the opposite direction...

I honestly have no idea... its going to have to be "wait and see"

coldrolled
05-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Good list, but:

Heath won't be ready
I am not sure Bell is the starter (maybe)
Jones won't start over Worilds
Max Starks will be back at LT

they better get signing....

The Chargers were hot on the trail of tackle Bryant McKinnie last week before McKinnie decided to return to the Ravens on a two-year deal, a decision that left San Diego without a surefire starter at left tackle.

There aren’t many other veteran options on the market at this point in the offseason and none are better than former Steeler Max Starks, but the team doesn’t appear to be moving in that direction after missing out on McKinnie. Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the team has not reached out to Starks before or after McKinnie’s decision to return to Baltimore.

According to Acee, the Chargers “figure” to go into the season with King Dunlap at left tackle with Kevin Haslam given a chance to wind up with the job. Mike Harris, who struggled when put at left tackle with Jared Gaither injured last season, isn’t given any consideration as a competitor for the job. Dunlap started 19 games in the last three years with the Eagles and you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone with a rave review of the work he turned in during any of them.

coldrolled
05-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Haley is not going to use a 3 wide base and abandon his love for multiple TE's, nor is he going to dump the fullback and feel the wrath of the Yinzers. If he didn't do it when he HAD Wallace, he most certainly isn't going to do it with he doesn't have him.

We dont have multiple TE's ?????

K Train
05-06-2013, 05:07 PM
haley loved heath miller, but hes hardly loved multiple TEs his whole career...he never used TEs in a AZ or KC. Adjusting to what he has, its not complicated.

Real Deal Steel
05-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I agree. Seems like the WR's are going to get a lot of work in the passing game. Even the WR in the slot is going to get a lot of balls his way.

Crash
05-06-2013, 06:35 PM
haley loved heath miller, but hes hardly loved multiple TEs his whole career...he never used TEs in a AZ or KC. Adjusting to what he has, its not complicated.

So you are saying that Haley BY CHOICE, preferred a multiple TE set instead with a scrub like David Paulson instead of a 3 wide base with Wallace, Brown, and Sanders/Cotchery?

And you AGREED with that? LOL

K Train
05-06-2013, 06:42 PM
So you are saying that Haley BY CHOICE, preferred a multiple TE set instead with a scrub like David Paulson instead of a 3 wide base with Wallace, Brown, and Sanders/Cotchery?

And you AGREED with that? LOL
arians loved 3 TE sets, and love running out of them even more even though it was horrible.

Paulson isnt a scrub, he was a rookie and didnt play bad last year. They should have kept saunders, but paulson is a guy with some decent upside to him. You just see late round pick rookie = scrub...but thats because you have no idea what you are talking about

Using more than 1 TE is allowed though, it happens like every game by like...every team

Crash
05-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Paulson isnt a scrub, he was a rookie and didnt play bad last year.

He can't block and he can't get open.

Other than that? He's great.

He won't catch 100 in his CAREER for this team.

ice cream glove
05-06-2013, 07:31 PM
and Please lord let someone take Ziggy Hood's job... holy waste of a starting job

You obviously don't even understand how DL's D system works. D-linemen will never put up stats playing in this system. Ever.

Crash
05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Cop out. Ray Seals was dominant in 1995. If he was a household name he would have been All Pro.

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Crash where do you think the steelers ranked in the NFL in % of offensive plays called with 2 or more TEs?

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 07:46 PM
You obviously don't even understand how DL's D system works. D-linemen will never put up stats playing in this system. Ever.

You obviously continue to be a poor judge of talent since Ziggy Hood is a terrible gap anchor. I bet you dont see any weaknesses in his game either. Lol.

Piggy Hood is simply a bad football player... Not all 1st rounders are good.

The fact that you assumed my comment was relative to "NFL.com stats" shows how far behind you are.

TarlsQtr
05-06-2013, 07:47 PM

Would you just please shut up for a second and actually READ. NPB did not say that Hood or anyone playing that position would "put up stats." He was (correctly) implying that Hood sucks regardless of the "stats." Aaron Smith did not "put up stats" like 4-3 d-linemen either but he was a beloved Steeler because Steeler fans were savvy enough to recognize all he did IN SPITE OF his less than impressive (in comparison) "stats."

Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like." Just a guess, he never met you, correct?

ice cream glove
05-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Cop out. Ray Seals was dominant in 1995. If he was a household name he would have been All Pro.

8.5 sacks and 33 tackles = dominant for a defensive player? Not bad, but "dominant?" OK, there. That's right up there with JJ Watt and Reggie White.....oh, no it's not.

Big T
05-06-2013, 07:49 PM

When did he refer to stats? Ziggy Hood is f*king terrible and it has nothing to do with lack of stats. Ziggy Hood is a horrible anchor, has ZERO stack and shed ability and gets thrown around like a rag doll. But hey, he can jump on a tire.

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 07:50 PM
8.5 sacks and 33 tackles = dominant for a defensive player? Not bad, but "dominant?" OK, there. That's right up there with JJ Watt and Reggie White.....oh, no it's not.

If anything, you are the displaying for everyone how little you know about DLs defense

ice cream glove
05-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Would you just please shut up for a second and actually READ. NPB did not say that Hood or anyone playing that position would "put up stats." He was (correctly) implying that Hood sucks regardless of the "stats." Aaron Smith did not "put up stats" like 4-3 d-linemen either but he was a beloved Steeler because Steeler fans were savvy enough to recognize all he did IN SPITE OF his less than impressive (in comparison) "stats."

Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like." Just a guess, he never met you, correct?

So, in your imaginary world, you can't measure performance for DEs in our system, but you can still make judgments based on......the moobly boobly and thin air? The fans' popularity with Smith had nothing to do with him being white, right? What measurements are you using to give Smith kudos, while vilifying Hood? You are going to say there are no measurables but claim one player is superior to another?

ice cream glove
05-06-2013, 07:53 PM
If anything, you are the displaying for everyone how little you know about DLs defense

Can you try that again, this time in English?

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Can you try that again, this time in English?
Sure thing,

If anything, you are the one displaying for everyone how little you know about DLs defense

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 07:55 PM
So, in your imaginary world, you can't measure performance for DEs in our system, but you can still make judgments based on......the moobly boobly and thin air? The fans' popularity with Smith had nothing to do with him being white, right? What measurements are you using to give Smith kudos, while vilifying Hood? You are going to say there are no measurables but claim one player is superior to another?

Thanks again for confirming that you do not know how to measure 5 tech performance

ice cream glove
05-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Ray Seals, 8 years, 32 career sacks, and only two of those seasons were played in Pgh (can't use the DL 3-4 excuse for his years in Tampa.) Is he already in the Hall of Fame?

ice cream glove
05-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks again for confirming that you do not know how to measure 5 tech performance

Enlighten us all, super nerd. Per usual, you claim you know something but can never illuminate this mysterious knowledge. I wonder why that is? It could be you don't know anything or that you don't have the ability to describe it....probably both are in play. Half the time your posts aren't even coherent.

TarlsQtr
05-06-2013, 08:02 PM

The "imaginary world" is one where you think that "stats" can measure every contribution one makes to a team. Sorry, but no, there is no "stat" for being a "gap anchor" or taking up two linemen and keeping them off your linebackers.

The "racism" angle is a stunner. Troy and James were two of the most popular defensive players for years.

ice cream glove
05-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Sure thing,

If anything, you are the one displaying for everyone how little you know about DLs defense

At least that was partially coherent this time around. Was school kind of hard on you?

ice cream glove
05-06-2013, 08:06 PM
The "imaginary world" is one where you think that "stats" can measure every contribution one makes to a team. Sorry, but no, there is no "stat" for being a "gap anchor" or taking up two linemen and keeping them off your linebackers.

The "racism" angle is a stunner. Troy and James were two of the most popular defensive players for years.

Ummm, you're not fooling anyone. I lived in Western PA and still know lots of people who do. I am offended by how so many people talk. And they don't even know it's offensive.

TarlsQtr
05-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Keisel, who also "has no stats" has been a defensive captain for a couple of years. Are his teammates racist or did they just recognize his contribution based on "the moobly boobly and thin air?"

TarlsQtr
05-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Ummm, you're not fooling anyone. I lived in Western PA and still know lots of people who do. I am offended by how so many people talk. And they don't even know it's offensive.

Yet Troy was the number 1 or 2 best selling jersey for years and years. Harrison was loved too. Did the people of western PA forget that those people are not white?

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 08:11 PM
At least that was partially coherent this time around. Was school kind of hard on you?

Not nearly as hard as football analysis is for you

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 08:13 PM
It's amazing how hard some will try to change the conversation after they are caught with their pants down

Black@Gold Forever32
05-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Ice Cream Glove my parents are from Monessen, PA and are not racist people so you can stop with that racist crap you're pulling.....Yea Aaron Smith was loved by the fans because he was white and people knock Ziggy Hood because he is African-American?....lol Maybe the fans loved Aaron Smith because he was one of the best 3-4 DE's in the NFL and one of the most under-rated players in the NFL?........Plus Smith was a former 4th round pick who busted his butt to become a star and leader of the team during the 2000s........

As for Ziggy (former first round pick) most draft gurus stated Ziggy wasn't a good fit for the 3-4 defense and really was best suited for DT in a 4-3 so really the Steelers goofed in drafting a player that didn't fit their system.......Ziggy Hood is no Aaron Smith and it has nothing to do with skin color..........

jpele
05-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Ice Cream Glove my parents are from Monessen, PA and are not racist people so you can stop with that racist crap you're pulling.....Yea Aaron Smith was loved by the fans because he was white and people knock Ziggy Hood because he is African-American?....lol Maybe the fans loved Aaron Smith because he was one of the best 3-4 DE's in the NFL and one of the most under-rated players in the NFL?........Plus Smith was a former 4th round pick who busted his butt to become a star and leader of the team during the 2000s........

As for Ziggy (former first round pick) most draft gurus stated Ziggy wasn't a good fit for the 3-4 defense and really was best suited for DT in a 4-3 so really the Steelers goofed in drafting a player that didn't fit their system.......Ziggy Hood is no Aaron Smith and it has nothing to do with skin color..........

Bravo! Well stated.

K Train
05-06-2013, 08:21 PM
well i guess it is pretty much the same watching aaron smith master the 5 tech position, anchor a dline, throw linemen off of him like rag dolls, and free up OLBs for year and years as it is watching hood try to bend around the corner like a 310 pound OLB and not have the speed to get the the QB and end up being simply washed out of the play as soon as a hand gets on him.

That makes sense

TarlsQtr
05-06-2013, 08:25 PM

^^^This^^^

jpele
05-06-2013, 08:36 PM
you left out one of the most interesting camp battles : Who will the nickle be?

I'm looking forward to Josh Victorian battling in camp for that job

That should be an interesting compitition , i hear Carnell Lake is really high on Terry Hawthorne, and then there's Brown and Van Dyke.

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 08:49 PM
That should be an interesting compitition , i hear Carnell Lake is really high on Terry Hawthorne, and then there's Brown and Van Dyke.

I think Brown could end up on the chopping block.

The camp battles for the #3-#5 CB will be the most interesting of camp IMO

tburg68
05-07-2013, 12:12 AM
I'd hope that Heyward starts over Hood. Ziggy's only usefulness would be to play NT on obvious passing downs. I'd like to see Adams at RT for the good of the run game, and Gilbert at LT for the good of DeCastro's knees. I like to see Max Starks at backup to both.

Crash
05-07-2013, 12:17 AM

Pressures, tipping passes, even had a pick in Cincy. His cousin was murdered by Brentwood police and it motivated him.

In a year when the secondary had issues once Rod got hurt the only real bright spots that year were Ray Seals, Greg Loyd, and Brentson Buckner hitting quarterbacks.

K Train
05-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Enlighten us all, super nerd. Per usual, you claim you know something but can never illuminate this mysterious knowledge. I wonder why that is? It could be you don't know anything or that you don't have the ability to describe it....probably both are in play. Half the time your posts aren't even coherent.

Honestly NPB is one of the most knowledgeable posters on here when it comes to understanding schematics, x's and o's and contract structure. You could learn a thing or two from him.

You spew nonsense, and then back it up with nonsense, and then retract statements and backpedal...i dont get how you even take yourself seriously let alone expect anyone else to

K Train
05-07-2013, 09:03 AM

Im not giving up on brown just yet, he has significantly more upside than victorian. I think Gay is pretty obviously #2 or #3, i hope Cortez takes the 2 spot though. Id like to see brown turn that corner though, it wouldnt be the first time a CB looked horrible and then it all just clicked. The steelers defense is not a very grueling one for CBs to play physically, but it seems like it doesnt take at least 2 seasons for it to become second nature.

Hawthorne is a sleeper, hes a big physical corner who they love because no matter who is playing CB for them they are among the best tackling CBs in the league year after year. Hawthorne was looking like a big time prospect for a while and fell off a little bit, cant quite put my finger on why, the only MAJOR thing he does much too often is tackle by leaving his feet, which is just dangerous and will be called every time

Zachintosh66
05-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Hawthorne is a sleeper, hes a big physical corner who they love because no matter who is playing CB for them they are among the best tackling CBs in the league year after year. Hawthorne was looking like a big time prospect for a while and fell off a little bit, cant quite put my finger on why, the only MAJOR thing he does much too often is tackle by leaving his feet, which is just dangerous and will be called every time

I got a good feeling about Hawthorne. Hopefully with him, Allen, Thomas (and maybe even Brown) we can limit Gay's PT. i know it wont be in the beginning of the season, but hopefully by the playoff push...

SnakeEyes43
05-07-2013, 11:56 AM
I got a good feeling about Hawthorne. Hopefully with him, Allen, Thomas (and maybe even Brown) we can limit Gay's PT. i know it wont be in the beginning of the season, but hopefully by the playoff push...

Gay worries me because of Tomlin's little "man crush" on him. I worry that he'll be the nickel all year, even if he sucks. He had a solid last year here in Pitt, so hopefully he continues with that (even though he was REAALLLY bad at times last year for ARZ). Hopefully, if Gay struggles at nickel, Tomlin pulls him quickly and gives someone else a chance.

NeilPatrickBanana
05-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Im not giving up on brown just yet, he has significantly more upside than victorian. I think Gay is pretty obviously #2 or #3, i hope Cortez takes the 2 spot though. Id like to see brown turn that corner though, it wouldnt be the first time a CB looked horrible and then it all just clicked. The steelers defense is not a very grueling one for CBs to play physically, but it seems like it doesnt take at least 2 seasons for it to become second nature.

I definitely view Cortez as the starter opposite Ike... he's the most versatile DB we have. I expect them to move Cortez around a lot depending on the matchups. He can man up outside vs bigger/stronger WRs, and he can come inside and give the "new school TEs" a lot of trouble.

I expect Gay to be the nickleback, working the slot. For all the hate Gay got (and deserved), he was/is a good slot corner who works well in short spaces. He definitely has no business outside, and if he won the #2 job over Cortez it would be another "WTF are they thinking???" moment.

I like Victorian a lot in a very specific role, and that's being a zone guy in Dime packages, 3rd and long situations. He's very good in read and react situations when he can sit back in a middle zone and break on a ball/play. He's a long shot... but he's a guy that I see a future for.

I just haven't seen ANYTHING from Brown to be excited about. He's not a great athlete (really stiff hips for a corner). He doesn't really fit from a depth perspective. He can't play the slot. All you have to do is watch that San Diego game... if that's who Curtis Brown is, then he's not an NFL CB. My mind is not made up in any way, I look forward to camp for that. But, my inclination is that he is not versatile enough to be a depth NFL corner.

Right now, if we kept a 6th corner, I'd keep Van Dyke for special teams purposes

Starters : Ike and Cortez
Slot : Gay
Dime : Victorian
Depth : Hawthorne (and Van Dyke if we keep 6)

NeilPatrickBanana
05-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Gay worries me because of Tomlin's little "man crush" on him. I worry that he'll be the nickel all year, even if he sucks. He had a solid last year here in Pitt, so hopefully he continues with that (even though he was REAALLLY bad at times last year for ARZ). Hopefully, if Gay struggles at nickel, Tomlin pulls him quickly and gives someone else a chance.

Gay was very good at Nickel, it wasn't until he got moved outside/#2 that his flaws were magnified...

Big T
05-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Honestly NPB is one of the most knowledgeable posters on here when it comes to understanding schematics, x's and o's and contract structure. You could learn a thing or two from him.

You spew nonsense, and then back it up with nonsense, and then retract statements and backpedal...i dont get how you even take yourself seriously let alone expect anyone else to

This...

ice cream glove
05-07-2013, 01:47 PM

How anyone cannot see that Brown is garbage is beyond me. He falls for every deep double move ever thrown at him. He is toast every time he tried to cover a WR who does a deep double move. Every time. He won't make the roster.

ice cream glove
05-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Im not giving up on brown just yet, he has significantly more upside than victorian.

Brown gets toasted each and every time he has to cover a deep double move. No way can he play the level of an NFL CB starter. No way.

Big T
05-07-2013, 01:57 PM
How anyone cannot see that Brown is garbage is beyond me. He falls for every deep double move ever thrown at him. He is toast every time he tried to cover a WR who does a deep double move. Every time. He won't make the roster.

Just like Keenan Lewis was garbage his first THREE years (yes he was garbage)...

ice cream glove
05-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Just like Keenan Lewis was garbage his first THREE years (yes he was garbage)...

To be honest, I don't recall seeing Lewis play much until last year. I don't recall seeing him get toasted every time a team threw a double move at him. Maybe he did; I just don't recall seeing it. But Brown? I do know I saw him get torched every time a team ran a deep double move at him.

NeilPatrickBanana
05-07-2013, 02:50 PM

this is very true (regarding Keenan), but Brown doesn't display the athleticism Keenan did (while looking lost...lol).

With Keenan you could see the upside, even when he was struggling with the scheme/playcall/responsibility... his athleticism still jumped off the tape.

I thought Brown was a high end athlete when he came out... I hope that it's been the "thinking" side of the game that has made him look soooo slow at the NFL level. and Brown is absolutely the worst tackling DB on the team... how do you play a poor tackler in zone?

We are uncharacteristically deep at Corner right now... can't wait to see the camp battles