PDA

View Full Version : I just don't see any weakness in J. Jones

ice cream glove
05-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Yea, the medical condition, but he checked out with all 32 teams medical staffs so it's a non issue.

His slower 40 time? Plenty of great players were the same. Non issue.

He is the perfect Steeler draft pick. I believe he and Thomas are the beginning of a transformation back to elite defenders who are not old. I just don't see a weakness here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJsBr8HqsEA

Crash
05-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Tell that to the teams who took him off their draft board.

Goodfrom55
05-03-2013, 06:15 PM
In regard to a "slow" 40 time, see Terrel Suggs. Worked out for him.

As long as he is willing to be coached and learn the system, his ceiling could be unlimited.

More I read up about this kid Thomas, the more I like him. Hopefully his game translates to the NFL.

NeilPatrickBanana
05-03-2013, 06:47 PM
If you don't see a weakness, then you aren't looking properly. He has some warts and they are all related

Weakness = Lower body strength
Weakness = first step
Weakness = lack of explosion
- most noticeable is the lack of explosion off the snap. Jones does not have a good first step.

- he makes up for it with economical footwork, meaning his agility and stride still get him a 4-5 step approach.

- but the lack of explosion still makes him more "blockable" then one would like from a top end pass rusher

- Again, plenty of very good pass rushers have gotten by without the explosion, but to be elite he is going to have to develop that lower bodystrngth and improve his explosion off the snap

- the 40 time is meaningless. What's importbat is that his 10 yd was identical to aldon, this highlight that while he lacks the explosion, he has incredible finish... Simply put, he's a very good athlete despite his weakness.

Weakness = Underdeveloped physical technique

- jones has great hand technique, it's his best pass rushing trait at the moment. He is excellent at keeping the tckles hands off his body, this skillet is the single biggest factor in overcoming the lack of explsoion.

- but he needs to develop more technique built around strength, most importantly the ability to get underneath and bull.

- versatility is king and one trik ponies don't last long.

FYI I think it was a great pick, and great value. I also see big things for Jarvis... But "not seeing a weakness" is naive

Goodfrom55
05-03-2013, 09:13 PM
He does use his hands very well to get off blockers.

Number99
05-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Harrison had a slow 40 time too nbd. The one advantage Jones has is he worked as an OLB in a 34 in college. He's not a converted DE like Woodley. I'm not saying Jones will master the system right away but I bet it won't take him long.

Real Deal Steel
05-04-2013, 10:04 AM
For linebackers,

Slow 40 times are irrelevant. Because when you talk about linebackers, your talking about speed in a 25-30 radius. It's more important that a linebacker have the skills to shed blockers well and as long as he runs 4.8 or less, he's fine.

Zachintosh66
05-04-2013, 10:25 AM
CALM DOWN! let the kid learn, he hasnt even gotten dressed yet, lol.

ChucktownSteeler
05-04-2013, 12:20 PM
I agree, calm down. This kid led or was among the leaders at his position in every category across the country playing in arguably the very toughest conference.

I like the pick!

scudmissile29
05-04-2013, 01:30 PM
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jarvis+Jones+Pittsburgh+Steelers+Rookie+Camp+24hcX Ptahzdx.jpg

ice cream glove
05-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Tell that to the teams who took him off their draft board.

So that makes them right? Of course not, but I wouldn't expect you to have any clear vision or insight.

ice cream glove
05-04-2013, 02:14 PM
If you don't see a weakness, then you aren't looking properly. He has some warts and they are all related

Weakness = Lower body strength
Weakness = first step
Weakness = lack of explosion
- most noticeable is the lack of explosion off the snap. Jones does not have a good first step.

- he makes up for it with economical footwork, meaning his agility and stride still get him a 4-5 step approach.

- but the lack of explosion still makes him more "blockable" then one would like from a top end pass rusher

- Again, plenty of very good pass rushers have gotten by without the explosion, but to be elite he is going to have to develop that lower bodystrngth and improve his explosion off the snap

- the 40 time is meaningless. What's importbat is that his 10 yd was identical to aldon, this highlight that while he lacks the explosion, he has incredible finish... Simply put, he's a very good athlete despite his weakness.

Weakness = Underdeveloped physical technique

- jones has great hand technique, it's his best pass rushing trait at the moment. He is excellent at keeping the tckles hands off his body, this skillet is the single biggest factor in overcoming the lack of explsoion.

- but he needs to develop more technique built around strength, most importantly the ability to get underneath and bull.

- versatility is king and one trik ponies don't last long.

FYI I think it was a great pick, and great value. I also see big things for Jarvis... But "not seeing a weakness" is naive

NPB, don't take the phrase so literally. There isn't a football player who ever lived where they couldn't come up with some "weakness" coming out of the draft. The best players of all time still had "weaknesses" asserted by the scouts. So Jones doesn't have a quick first burst or step? Who cares, if he gets to the QB any how? Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor were said to have weaknesses. And? I am just saying, watching him on tape, he just makes plays, over and over. Jack Lambert was said to have flaws. And? Trying to act like JJ has so many flaws is naive. He gets the job done and he will have a fantastic career wearing the black and gold - non fast first step or not. That is just being petty.

NeilPatrickBanana
05-05-2013, 12:06 AM
NPB, don't take the phrase so literally. There isn't a football player who ever lived where they couldn't come up with some "weakness" coming out of the draft. The best players of all time still had "weaknesses" asserted by the scouts. So Jones doesn't have a quick first burst or step? Who cares, if he gets to the QB any how? Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor were said to have weaknesses. And? I am just saying, watching him on tape, he just makes plays, over and over. Jack Lambert was said to have flaws. And? Trying to act like JJ has so many flaws is naive. He gets the job done and he will have a fantastic career wearing the black and gold - non fast first step or not. That is just being petty.

so when you said, "he has no weaknesses"... you actually meant something different? The rest of your post just seemed to be a word salad you put together attempting to dodge the fact that you don't really know what you are talking about at detailed level.

critiquing a pass rushers physical abilities is not "being petty". It's called being thorough.

NorCalSteel
05-05-2013, 03:45 AM
weakness as compared to who????

ice cream glove
05-05-2013, 04:16 PM
so when you said, "he has no weaknesses"... you actually meant something different? The rest of your post just seemed to be a word salad you put together attempting to dodge the fact that you don't really know what you are talking about at detailed level.

critiquing a pass rushers physical abilities is not "being petty". It's called being thorough.

OH, OK, Mr. "I know everything about football, no one knows more than I." I see you dodged the FACT that the best players who ever played had asserted weaknesses that never really developed. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, LT - all had some some asserted weaknesses by know-it-alls like yourself. But the 90-pound weakling smarty panties were wrong. As you try to smugly act like you are so superior and Jarvis Jones has so many flaws, he will be crushing QBs and making plays. And when he does, look in your 3-bind notebook and recite what his flaws are once again. As he is taking the league by storm, why don't you shout out "but, but, but, he doesn't have a quick first step! He isn't perfect! Don't you know?"

I just love the pencil necks who try to throw mud at those who accomplish.

ice cream glove
05-05-2013, 04:17 PM
weakness as compared to who????

Oh no, don't question NPB. He knows EVERYTHING! He got an "A" in algebra. Just ask him how smart he is. :lol:

Rocky#20
05-05-2013, 09:09 PM
40 yd. times for some positions are almost meaningless. Nick Saban was asked about Chance Warmack's slow 40 time and replied that he didn't require his guards to run 40 yds, just bock the guy across from them and let the back run 40 yds.

chisteeler
05-05-2013, 09:24 PM
For those of you who continuously scrutinize every player's strength and weakness, you are boring the hell out of the rest of us. This board has become nothing but a bitch fest of arguing. If JJ does not play up to your expectations, then give him a few lines of powder like LT used to do and unleash the madness. Then he'll come back out like a bunch of "Crazed Dogs."

JenZwain
05-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Jones' intangibles may not set the world on fire, but he's a football player and his game tape against some of the best players in the country speaks loudly. Furthermore, he'll be in a system that will work for him, as a player and person.

Lets see how he does in the OTAs

NeilPatrickBanana
05-05-2013, 11:31 PM
OH, OK, Mr. "I know everything about football, no one knows more than I." I see you dodged the FACT that the best players who ever played had asserted weaknesses that never really developed. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, LT - all had some some asserted weaknesses by know-it-alls like yourself. But the 90-pound weakling smarty panties were wrong. As you try to smugly act like you are so superior and Jarvis Jones has so many flaws, he will be crushing QBs and making plays. And when he does, look in your 3-bind notebook and recite what his flaws are once again. As he is taking the league by storm- , why don't you shout out "but, but, but, he doesn't have a quick first step! He isn't perfect! Don't you know?"

I just love the pencil necks who try to throw mud at those who accomplish.

i just love watching the dopes try to climb out of the steaming pile of "talking out of their ***" **** that they buried themselves in.

Hey, tell me about all the other players that you see no weaknesses in... I need a good laugh from Moe.

NeilPatrickBanana
05-05-2013, 11:53 PM
How good Jarvis Jones will be (I think he'll be great) has nothing to do with it...
If you don't see ANY weaknesses in his game (right now), it just means you don't really know all that much...

that's all

ice cream glove
05-06-2013, 12:26 AM
How good Jarvis Jones will be (I think he'll be great) has nothing to do with it...
If you don't see ANY weaknesses in his game (right now), it just means you don't really know all that much...

that's all

That's only your OPINION. You often mistake your OPINION for fact. I have seen it a myriad of times.

ice cream glove
05-06-2013, 12:29 AM
i just love watching the dopes try to climb out of the steaming pile of "talking out of their ***" **** that they buried themselves in.

Hey, tell me about all the other players that you see no weaknesses in... I need a good laugh from Moe.

I am confident I have more vision in my little pinky than you have in your whole body. And the proof will come soon enough. And then I expect more dandy talk where you take your opinion and mistake it as fact. It will sure be funny.

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 12:38 AM
That's only your OPINION. You often mistake your OPINION for fact. I have seen it a myriad of times.

so my opinion is that there are weaknesses in his game (as i originally noted)
it is also my opinion that those weaknesses can be overcome (as i originally noted)

it is your opinion that their are NO weaknesses in his game...
or there are... because i wasn't supposed to take the title of your thread "literally" (i'm still confused on that one)

I am confident I have more vision in my little pinky than you have in your whole body. And the proof will come soon enough. And then I expect more dandy talk where you take your opinion and mistake it as fact. It will sure be funny.

so correct me if i am wrong... but you stand by your original statement that you see no weakness in Jones game... or are you sticking with the amended statement you made that you should not be taken literally when you start a thread?

it's interesting to note, that during this entire back and forth, you've made almost no comment about Jarvis Jones game from an analysis perspective... I think we both know why.

Here's what happened here:
- you said something dumb
- someone who knows more than you tried to give you some help
- you spent a few pages creating straw men arguments and throwing around a bunch of nonsense
- now we are back to the beginning where you are stuck defending a stupid person's POV

This isn't about Jones future... we both think he'll be great
This isn't about Bruce Smith either...
This is about Jones, IN THE PRESENT

I presently believe he has weaknesses
What do you believe?

NeilPatrickBanana
05-06-2013, 12:43 AM
NPB, don't take the phrase so literally. There isn't a football player who ever lived where they couldn't come up with some "weakness" coming out of the draft. So Jones doesn't have a quick first burst or step? Who cares

Remember when you agreed with me back on page 2... that must be kind of embarrassing now that you are arguing with me again...

connecticutsteel
05-06-2013, 10:30 PM
what i want to know is how long it took ice cream glove to spell myriad lol