PDA

View Full Version : Love the Wheaton pick

Crash
04-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Now go three wides as a base and let this kid blow past LBs and safeties from the slot.

It's all about speed people.

LatrobePA
04-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Now go three wides as a base and let this kid blow past LBs and safeties from the slot.

So you're pleased?

LatrobePA
04-26-2013, 10:57 PM

connecticutsteel
04-26-2013, 11:58 PM
he's route runner love jt

steelchamp204
04-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Was hoping for Woods, but this is a great pick also. He shoould see some playng time this year.

Real Deal Steel
04-27-2013, 12:00 AM
I'm not pleased with the Weaton pick at all.

Colbert should have taken Patton from LSU. We have enough Quickness and speed. But Patton would have given us some size; something different from what we have.

You need a big WR that can beat the jam at the line. And Patton is a good route runner too. I think Colbert might have missed on this one.

K Train
04-27-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm not pleased with the Weaton pick at all.

Colbert should have taken Patton from LSU. We have enough Quickness and speed. But Patton would have given us some size; something different from what we have.

You need a big WR that can beat the jam at the line. And Patton is a good route runner too. I think Colbert might have missed on this one.

Lsu and Louisiana tech are very different programs

And Patton does not really have size, he's an inch taller than sanders and 10 pounds heavier than brown. I would have hated Patton. Was hoping for Terrence Williams or Keenan Allen but Wheaton is a good pick, tough player too

polamalu43
04-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Not my pick but after doing some reading I am ok with it. I could see Stedman Bailey in the Black and Gold though. Oh well.

NeilPatrickBanana
04-27-2013, 01:03 AM
wheaton shits more talent than patton

hooles36bus
04-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Could be possible they still take one more WR in later rounds with some size. You still have available:

1. Da'Rick Rogers 6 21/2---217lbs.

hooles36bus
04-27-2013, 01:44 AM
Could be possible they still take one more WR in later rounds with some size. You still have available:

Also available Cobi Hamilton from Arkansas 6 13/4---212lbs. or Marques Wilson from Wash. St 6 25/8---194lbs. or Aaron Melette from Elon 6 21/2---217lbs

igor0190
04-27-2013, 02:09 AM
If you want size at WR, start looking at Tight Ends

hooles36bus
04-27-2013, 02:17 AM

TE really all you have left is possibly Dion Sims or maybe Jake Stoneburner. Most of the rest all just mainly blockers. You never know though.

Real Deal Steel
04-27-2013, 02:53 AM
Well, Of course I hope I'm wrong about Weaton. I'll be paying close attention to his progress through the summer. I really want him to be a serious addition to our WR corps. Hope K-Train is right about him.

Nolrog
04-27-2013, 07:56 AM

Yes, I think that's possible. I expect that we'll draft a safety and depth for the OL. Other than that, I think we'll be considering a corner, WR and LB depth.

connecticutsteel
04-27-2013, 10:01 AM

the steelers don't draft felons

Rocky#20
04-27-2013, 12:52 PM
What I like about Wheaton is that the scouting report on him says that he is tough and will fight for the ball, that is something this team has been lacking lately.

Real Deal Steel
04-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Your right about that...this team has lacked a lot of fight lately.

NYCsteelersfan
04-27-2013, 07:44 PM

A 5'11 rookie WR on a team with one of the worst passing offenses in the league and no big professional WRs. Very exciting.

They don't have one and they haven't bothered drafting one yet either. It's great.

cuatro_tres43
04-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Best part about the pick is the NFL comparison...Antonio Brown. Also, the fact that for a burner he benched 20 reps at the combine and was tied for 3rd best for WRs...I find that intriguing :popcorn:

Farrior Fan
04-28-2013, 02:05 PM
A 5'11 rookie WR on a team with one of the worst passing offenses in the league and no big professional WRs. Very exciting.

They don't have one and they haven't bothered drafting one yet either. It's great.

All I can figure is that Heath is recovering very well. If he is not.....it is going to be even harder to watch our O in 13 than it was in 12.

As for Wheaton, the thing I have noticed is how well he catches long balls over his shoulder in stride. Even if he is a fraction slower than Wallace that can be the thing that gives Ben the confidence to throw it deep to him.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Wheaton will have a rookie year close to what Mike Wallace did his rookie year.......I'm not comparing him to Wallace but just think he can match Mike's production from his rookie year and think Wheaton is a damn good football player....

HUNT4SEVEN
04-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Wheaton, Dunn, and Woods these cats will make our receiver core deadly if they work out, we will forget about Wallace by week 5 lol

Rocky#20
04-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Listening to CBS Sports radio today they were going over the Steelers picks. The host (don't know who), said that Wheaton will be a starter before the season is too long. He said Wheaton is faster, stronger and has better hands than Sanders.
He also said that Thomas is so explosive he is going to be hard to keep off the field.

Real Deal Steel
04-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Exactly.

I forsee Wheaton on one side with AB on the other and Sanders working the middle of the field with the TE (whoever he's going to be).

And they are saying Wheaton is a better route runner then Wallace RIGHT NOW!

LevonKirkland99
04-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Wallace was a bust in termsnof being a team player....Hope Wheaton can produce better that the bust aka MW

Real Deal Steel
04-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Mike Wallace quit on this team last year. That's unforgivable in my book.

F*uck him.

JensK
04-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Exactly.

I forsee Wheaton on one side with AB on the other and Sanders working the middle of the field with the TE (whoever he's going to be).

And they are saying Wheaton is a better route runner then Wallace RIGHT NOW!

Thats not saying much though if I'm perfectly honest. Wallace has elite speed, and he is probably the best WR in the league when it comes to adjusting to a deep ball. He is a terrible route-runner though. He can run the deep routes fairly well, and he can run a slant (which is probably the easiest route to run). The other routes, from what I've seen, is pretty abysmal. That is not to say that he really needs to be able to run many more routes than that, because Miami will not ask him to do much more than be freaking fast, which he will do very well.

Wheaton said he can run a 4.3, which is very doubtful. He can probably be a 4.35 on a fast track, or realistically a 4.4 which is still pretty fast. He'll not be asked to just blaze by defenders like Wallace anyway. In that regard, he is probably better suited for what Haley is trying to do on offense.

K Train
04-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Thats not saying much though if I'm perfectly honest. Wallace has elite speed, and he is probably the best WR in the league when it comes to adjusting to a deep ball. He is a terrible route-runner though. He can run the deep routes fairly well, and he can run a slant (which is probably the easiest route to run). The other routes, from what I've seen, is pretty abysmal. That is not to say that he really needs to be able to run many more routes than that, because Miami will not ask him to do much more than be freaking fast, which he will do very well.

Wheaton said he can run a 4.3, which is very doubtful. He can probably be a 4.35 on a fast track, or realistically a 4.4 which is still pretty fast. He'll not be asked to just blaze by defenders like Wallace anyway. In that regard, he is probably better suited for what Haley is trying to do on offense.
i think he could crack the 4.3s but hes an easy 4.4 guy

Wallace is a horrible slant runner btw, Holmes was brilliant at it and i dont think its the easiest route to run just like its not the easiest route to cover.

JensK
04-28-2013, 05:15 PM
i think he could crack the 4.3s but hes an easy 4.4 guy

Wallace is a horrible slant runner btw, Holmes was brilliant at it and i dont think its the easiest route to run just like its not the easiest route to cover.

well, from the limited playing I've done (7v7), I always found the slant to be the easiest. I'm on board with the notion that its not easy to defend, but I never found it particularly difficult to run per say. It might not be easy to do it the way Holmes can, but Holmes is a genius at it, so I don't think its a fair comparison anyway.

On that topic, I think Wallace was terrible at the slant coming out, but watching the tape from last year I actually think he developed a pretty good understanding as to the mechanics etc. In any case, my point still stands in regards to his disability to impress anyone with his short-passing route-running (if you can phrase it that way).

Real Deal Steel
04-28-2013, 05:30 PM
I don't care that Wallace is a tick faster then Wheaton. Wallace is faster then Fitzgerald but I'd take Fitzgerald over Wallace every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Playing WR is more then just speed. And Wheaton has is a better route runner then Wallace but a tick slower so it's a wash at best. It's more important that a WR be where the QB expects him to be......EVERY TIME! You can't put a price on that.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2013, 06:00 PM
I don't care that Wallace is a tick faster then Wheaton. Wallace is faster then Fitzgerald but I'd take Fitzgerald over Wallace every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Playing WR is more then just speed. And Wheaton has is a better route runner then Wallace but a tick slower so it's a wash at best. It's more important that a WR be where the QB expects him to be......EVERY TIME! You can't put a price on that.

Ok most of us like the Wheaton pick and Mike Wallace is a Dolphin now so I can careless about Wallace now.....