PDA

View Full Version : Grass won't be greener (or new)

Koopa
02-03-2007, 12:21 AM
ok, it's time for dan rooney to call it a career and just hand the team over to art....... he obviously can't see the games from where he sits, or just doesn't watch the team period, willie was robbed of some great runs cause he couldn't keep his damn footing....holmes was also robbed of some great runs after the catch cause he couldn't keep his footing

ok, dan, i know he won't read this but, you don't play, of course you ain't gonna complain....your damn players don't like it, it's time for a change already..... the steelers would benefit so much from field turf......... hang em up old man........

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- The Steelers have no plans to change their grass field despite its poor showing in a survey of NFL players, Dan Rooney said yesterday.

"You're looking for beauty rather than practicality," said Rooney, the team chairman. "We have the best field as far as traction that you can have. You didn't see anybody slip, or very few slips during the year."

That wasn't how the players saw it when they rated Heinz Field the worst of the 18 current grass fields in the league.

The Steelers installed a grass surface when they opened Heinz Field in 2001, and have resurfaced it many times. In 2003, they installed DD GrassMaster, which contains grass with some synthetic fibers that helps anchor it. They resurfaced the field again in 2005 with DD GrassMaster.

Rooney said they have no plans to change it.

"Not at this time, nope," Rooney said.

He disputed the survey, which includes a majority of his own players saying Heinz Field has a poor surface.

"Our field is fine. I have no complaints about our field, and we've looked into it."

The Steelers have considered artificial turf, such as the FieldTurf they have on the surface of their UPMC indoor facility.

"We could do that, but we'd lose something," Rooney said. "We would lose the basic thing as far as our players playing on regular grass, having a good, safe field, things like that."

The Steelers and Pitt share Heinz Field, which also is the site for five high school championship games each year. An occasional concert is held there.

"It receives a lot of wear and tear, but it's been OK," Rooney said.

Rooney also said he took no meaning from NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw's comments Thursday congratulating him because he "walked the walk" when he hired a minority head coach, Mike Tomlin.

"Gene's a good friend of mine. I am very proud of the Steelers' handling [of] minorities from the beginning. We had a minority on our very first team, 1933. We had the first coach in Lowell Perry [1957]. We had the first coordinator in Tony Dungy [1984]. I'm extremely proud."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07034/759130-66.stm

AZ_Steeler
02-03-2007, 12:24 AM
"You're looking for beauty rather than practicality," said Rooney, the team chairman. "We have the best field as far as traction that you can have. You didn't see anybody slip, or very few slips during the year."

I do like the field... but this line by Dan caught me by surprise... What game was he watching when the Steelers played at home? :dunno:

:lol:

Koopa
02-03-2007, 12:26 AM
I do like the field... but this line by Dan caught me by surprise... What game was he watching when the Steelers played at home? :dunno:

:lol:

yeah that's the reason i posted the article and said it's time to call it a career... cause from that statement, it shows that he doesn't even watch the steelers play, he just watches his bank account rise lol.........oh well....... i guess we'll continue to see our players fall when they are about to make a great play..........

K Train
02-03-2007, 12:52 AM
guess we have to look forward to away games for holmes or parker to break that 70 yarder

Friday133
02-03-2007, 01:09 AM
guess we have to look forward to away games for holmes or parker to break that 70 yarder

Didn't Parker have two runs over 70 yards at home against the Saints this past season. Seriously you guys are beating a dead horse here, give it a rest.

Koopa
02-03-2007, 01:31 AM
that still doesn't change the fact that he could've had several more, and the same for holmes, the field has prevented them from using their biggest assets on a regular basis..............

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-03-2007, 02:17 AM
The field is fine. Dan knows what he is doing. Now if you put Art in charge that is scary.

Steelersfan
02-03-2007, 02:21 AM
Parker had his best games at home this year so I don't see the field as a factor with him. He played on better fields and didn't get anywhere.
I still say too many players slipped here and something should be done. I like grass fields but not when players can't stand on it.

SteelerNation
02-03-2007, 02:34 AM
I agree with Koopa on this on we can expect parker to break the big gain's away. and We can expect to see fumbles later in the year.... That was the main cause for the fumbles at home. The player had no ****ing footing and would slip and lose the ball...

But i do like grass better just not for playing experience...

Steelersfan
02-03-2007, 02:43 AM
No offense but I don't remember too many fumbles being caused by the footing. Most of them were from not hanging on to the ball.

SteelerNation
02-03-2007, 02:46 AM
Yea but i seen quite a few fumbles this year at home . where there was no footing and it may not of been a fumble but a a hell of a pass that could of landed us in playoffs

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 06:13 AM
This is going to come back and bite us in the ***, you can bet on it. Sooner or later something is going to happen that's going to cost us a big game or a player for an extended period of time.

beauty rather than practicality ???????? What in the world ??? :scratch: how can having a grass field in the northeast that needs replaced constantly be practical ??

SteelerNation
02-03-2007, 01:13 PM
I love grass TOP but no one will convince me that turf would not be a better more. Our players pratice on it during camp. Now im pretty sure if you put turff in our field that it can't hurt if anything make the footing for the players that much better... Footing has a big factor when it comes to running. and i seen parker this year lose footing when he had a clean and wide open patch to break a 50 yarder easy but he dident because he slipped and fell. but everone has :2cents: on this subject... And im going to stick to my guns and say we need to get rid of the grass and put in the turf

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 01:26 PM
I agree with ya man. I love football being played on natural grass as much as everybody else but times have changed, and our needs at Heinz have changed, and IMO field turf is the way to go.

This will be one of those never ending debates on SA so we'll just agree to disagree :lol:

TEEMONT
02-03-2007, 05:48 PM
:deadhorse:

Koopa
02-03-2007, 05:53 PM
:deadhorse:

will you leave Barbaro alone?? lol

TampaSteelGirl
02-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Again..another reason to get their moldy money out!! They are tight wads for sure. THey won't pay their coaches, players what they deserve now they don't even get a decent field to play on..Let him go out there and play on that ****** field. That field definately needs an overhaul. It's such a gorgeous stadium why wouldn't they make the field just a gorgeous but definately more safer for the players.

Iron City South
02-04-2007, 11:40 AM
I disagree with everyone who thinks the game should be played on natural grass. Why? ... Because those that have an idea of what these new-age turf systems are all about .... also know that they're about as close to a natural grass surface you can get without all the wear and tear and heavy maintainence.

This is the exact reason other teams that origonally went the natural grass route are making the change to FieldTurf. They got smart ... :helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I disagree with everyone who thinks the game should be played on natural grass. Why? ... Because those that have an idea of what these new-age turf systems are all about .... also know that they're about as close to a natural grass surface you can get without all the wear and tear and heavy maintainence.

This is the exact reason other teams that origonally went the natural grass route are making the change to FieldTurf. They got smart ... :helmet:

:plus1: :iagree: 100%

DIESELMAN
02-04-2007, 02:23 PM
We want FieldTurf! FieldTurf! FieldTurf! FieldTurf! FieldTurf! FieldTurf! FieldTurf! :tt02::banana::tt02::banana::tt02:
:toot: Hey Rooneys!!!!! Wake Up!!!!! :toot:

BB2W
02-04-2007, 08:58 PM
If you look at the glass half full... You would think the poor footing is an advantage to the Steelers seeing as how they play on it eight times a year. I would think they adapt to it better.

Iron City South
02-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Nobody has an advantage playing on painted mud my friend ... nobody. Conversly, I could easily make the arguement that the Steelers don't play well on turf because they're not used to the surface.

BB2W
02-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Nobody has an advantage playing on painted mud my friend ... nobody. Conversly, I could easily make the arguement that the Steelers don't play well on turf because they're not used to the surface.Good point, but I still think that a team who plays football in sand eight times a year has the advantage over a team exposed to it for the first time.

Koopa
02-04-2007, 10:18 PM
but we don't, it seems our plays fall more then the other team.....

Friday133
02-04-2007, 10:52 PM
I want to know which one of you are going to Heinz Field with a shovel to dig up the grass. Come on, one of you guys has the balls to do it. Who's it gonna be?

Koopa
02-04-2007, 11:00 PM
pay for my plane ticket and i'll do it lol

Friday133
02-04-2007, 11:03 PM
pay for my plane ticket and i'll do it lol

If you had any balls you'd hitch hike.

Koopa
02-04-2007, 11:08 PM
**** that, i can't sit in a car for 32 hours........ i did it once and i wanted to kill everyone lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2007, 11:25 PM
You wanna do that now half the time as it is.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-04-2007, 11:42 PM
You wanna do that now half the time as it is.

half the time? all the time. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Yeah you're right, if he had his way the whole world would see things the "koopa" way or they'd not be allowed to speak :lol:

Koopa
02-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah you're right, if he had his way the whole world would see things the "koopa" way or they'd not be allowed to speak :lol:

lol, then no one would be bias and no one would change their opinions just to please others.....that's a good world lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2007, 12:18 AM
See, I knew it ! :lol:

Steelersfan
02-05-2007, 12:57 AM
I want to know which one of you are going to Heinz Field with a shovel to dig up the grass. Come on, one of you guys has the balls to do it. Who's it gonna be?

I'd just rent a bucket loader and be done in a day. :lol:

Can anyone tell me how much soil is there before you hit concrete? I assume this grass field is built on top of some kind of concrete foundation? :dunno:

augustashark
02-05-2007, 02:05 AM
The funniest part about this is that the easiest place to grow grass is in the northern part of the country. Penn State is very well known for having one of the best turf grass strains known! There are a lot of Golf courses using that strain of grass. Ever notice how nice and mantained Penn States field is. I also know that having Pitt playing all of home games there does'nt help.

balloons125
07-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Fake grass (http://www.syntheticgrasswarehouse.com/) will be green forever.