PDA

View Full Version : At # 17, What 3 players do you consider acceptable?

Real Deal Steel
04-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Okay, Let's lay it on the line and go on record everyone. What three players do you consider acceptable at # 17?

Mine are:

1. Jarvis Jones

2. Xavier Rhodes

3. Damontre Moore

I don't think there is any way in hell that Womack falls to us but even if he did, I don't know if the O-line is the way I want to go in the first round. Same goes for Cooper.

Crash
04-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Yeah lets draft more defense to "sit and learn" while we let the offense rot and then blame Ben.

Brilliant!

TarlsQtr
04-16-2013, 05:28 PM
1) Warmack/Cooper
2) Jones
3) Patterson

(No particular order)

K Train
04-16-2013, 05:37 PM
1) Warmack/Cooper
2) Jones
3) Patterson

(No particular order)
this...but not sure its realistic that any or all of them will be there

Theres about a dozen players acceptable at that slot...i wouldnt hate Hunter or Elam there even though it might be seen as a reach to some

xBlitzBurghx
04-16-2013, 05:47 PM
You guys don't like Vaccaro?

TarlsQtr
04-16-2013, 06:01 PM
this...but not sure its realistic that any or all of them will be there

Theres about a dozen players acceptable at that slot...i wouldnt hate Hunter or Elam there even though it might be seen as a reach to some

A lot of mocks have one or both of the guards or Patterson there. That said, I do not put any faith that the mock drafter/football writers have any more knowledge about these things than the next guy.

TarlsQtr
04-16-2013, 06:03 PM

Like him but I do not like a safety at 17. He is very good but not the special player Troy was. Certain positions (safety/RB/TE) I do not like that high unless they are TRULY special.

Nolrog
04-16-2013, 06:37 PM

I don't dislike him, but I feel that there will still be quality safeties available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and the biggest needs on the team right now are on offense.

Mine are:

Eifert
Patterson
Jones
Mingo
Jordan

ice cream glove
04-16-2013, 06:51 PM

I don't at all and I don't know why he is getting so much hype. I just don't get it. I look at production at past level as the top priority for evaluation, and what did this guy do that was so great? He had zero sacks and 2 pics last year. Wow, super duper. Everyone merely states that he has good size and speed.....and? So did Scott Shields. What's that matter. Matter of fact, Scott Sheilds had more size and more speed than this guy. I read things on this guy like, "Can get to the QB..." Is that why he had a total of zero sacks last year? So he is tall, big and kind of fast. That makes him a first round pick? It doesn't add up. His skill level could be had in the 4th round. If they take him at 17 I think I am going to quit.

ice cream glove
04-16-2013, 06:57 PM
I don't dislike him, but I feel that there will still be quality safeties available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and the biggest needs on the team right now are on offense.

Mine are:

Eifert
Patterson
Jones
Mingo
Jordan

I don't like Mingo. He is just too skinny at this point. And he has narrow hips so he won't find it easy to gain mass. I think he is going to get pushed around, at least initially in his pro career. He will be a liability vs. the rush, and Pgh lives to stop the rush first. I don't see a fit.

cbrunn
04-16-2013, 07:11 PM
trade down , trade down , trade down

That's my stance ... I just think the value in this draft is in the 2nd-3rd round ... just my opinion

If I had to choose ... it would have to be

Austin
Patterson
Tyler Eifert

TarlsQtr
04-16-2013, 07:36 PM
trade down , trade down , trade down

That's my stance ... I just think the value in this draft is in the 2nd-3rd round ... just my opinion

If I had to choose ... it would have to be

Austin
Patterson
Tyler Eifert

I would not be unhappy at all if we traded down for more picks...

tgunn86
04-16-2013, 09:22 PM
I would have to say guys like Patterson or guys that can possibly drop like Vacarro or Jones, but trading down seems to be the best option right now.

connecticutsteel
04-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Vaccaro has had off the field issues (arrests) at Texas so i don't even think he's on the board he is the most over rated safty in the draft i'll take Elam,Thomas,swearinger over Vaccaro

cbrunn
04-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Vaccaro has had off the field issues (arrests) at Texas so i don't even think he's on the board he is the most over rated safty in the draft i'll take Elam,Thomas,swearinger over Vaccaro

To me Amerson is the best Safety in the draft

xBlitzBurghx
04-16-2013, 10:23 PM
I like Patterson. Just wanted to see what you guys thought on Vaccaro. Even if Patterson is dumb as long as he can ball out and not say/do stupid stuff I would be happy.

LevonKirkland99
04-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Probably Pattersson in the first round. Looks like Deja vu again same as Wallace. I hope they pick Defense first though...

Blitzburgh_Mike
04-17-2013, 12:42 AM
1. Tyler Eifert
2. Tyler Eifert
3. Tyler Eifert

6'6'' 250 lbs, catches everything. Perfect replacement for an injured Heath Miller. Need I say more?

polamalu43
04-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Mine today are:

Eifert.......warming up to this pick
Patterson
Rhodes

Inevitably what will happen is one of the guys we think will go sooner falls and we take them. Every year I get surprised with our first pick. These Mocks really make us think we know what Colbert is thinking...lol

steelchamp204
04-17-2013, 02:11 AM
As all shoul know. Im going Eifert.

1. Eifert
2. Elam
2. Jones
4. Patterson

Black@Gold Forever32
04-17-2013, 03:01 AM
Patterson, Patterson, Patterson....If he isn't there then trade down and draft Eifert or Hopkins....

Zachintosh66
04-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Womack, Cooper, trade back

Not Patterson!!!

Zachintosh66
04-17-2013, 06:49 AM

I like Vacc... I just like Elam better.

Reg3835
04-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Cooper or Warmack.

If both are gone, trade back and draft Eifert or Hopkins.

K Train
04-17-2013, 09:42 AM
I don't like Mingo. He is just too skinny at this point. And he has narrow hips so he won't find it easy to gain mass. I think he is going to get pushed around, at least initially in his pro career. He will be a liability vs. the rush, and Pgh lives to stop the rush first. I don't see a fit.
as a pass rushing DE that needs gap control i dont like him at all, but as a 34 weakside OLB he couldnt be more perfect of a fit. Hes "skinny" and a "liability" the same way dumervil is, but maybe it might be good to get some speed and range at the position rather than these short, stocky, strong guys they have liked recently. If you think Mingo is a liability in the run game, you must hvae never seen Worilds play

Cooper or Warmack.

If both are gone, trade back and draft Eifert or Hopkins.
freakin team eifert is picking up steam around here lol. Im souring on hopkins after some workout numbers, his tape is decent but have the WORST 3 cone and short shuttle of all the WRs isnt really an appealing quality as far as translating to the pros go

polamalu43
04-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Just watched video of Patterson............he's our guy. Holy crap he would look good in Black and Gold.

That is my guy now!

coldrolled
04-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Eifert but he is now leaving on the mock drafts at #13 per nfl.com

K Train
04-17-2013, 10:17 AM
doesnt matter...nfl.com might be the worst resource

NeilPatrickBanana
04-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Want : Patterson
Settle for : Hopkins, Hunter, Eifert

Want : Jordan
Settle for : Mingo, Jones, Ansah

Want : Rhodes
Settle for : Trufant

Want : Star
Settle for : No other DT

Don't want : Warmack, Cooper, Vaccaro, Allen, Moore, Lacy

cmerrifield
04-17-2013, 10:36 AM
can somebody make a case for me for Patterson? In 4 of his games last year he had 2 or less catches and in one he had 3 but only 25 yards. I dont follow college football and I know there are more than stats, but I am not sure a guy who disappears like that is worth the 17th pick. Then you add the fact that his own QB said he didnt understand the offense. Those are two big red flags in my mind. So, someone please, in all sincerity, enlighten me and I dont need that he is 6'3" and fast. I know that part.

K Train
04-17-2013, 11:11 AM
his worse games were losses against mississippi state and georgia, but those were also justin hunters worse games. I did not see those games in full but they were both losses and they were both very ineffective, which makes me think that Bray was given a fit up front. Tennessees running game and offensive line was not very good

Also, its not a game of stats with patterson its all about how his skills translate to the NFL...he had 8 TDs playing 1 year of D-1 football, 5 REC, and 3 Rushing. Theres no doubt hes raw, but theres also no questioning his ability in the open field and ability to make plays in the redzone early in his career. Is he going to have 100 catches and run crisp routes? no. Will he be a guy that can score 5-8 TDs as a rookie? Probably...in the right systen (and haleys would be oh so right for him) he could be a double digit TD guy without even registering a start. Realisitcally he wouldnt "start" for us, but he would see the field and be able tun slants/go/screens very effectively and get the dez bryant treatment as a rookie.

Really haley wants the WRs to run short, intermeidate routes and ben to get the ball out quickly, but after his reads if he doesnt throw it the idea is to get the ball down field...this is not a giants or patriots offense with a complex route tree, pattersons open field vision, size, and frame is what haley needs to work with.

Real Deal Steel
04-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Let someone else have Patterson. He's a project player. Stupid, doesn't run good routes, that's a recipe for bust to me. We can't afford to gamble on a stupid player at # 17. I don't care what his physical gifts are.

K Train
04-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Let someone else have Patterson. He's a project player. Stupid, doesn't run good routes, that's a recipe for bust to me. We can't afford to gamble on a stupid player at # 17. I don't care what his physical gifts are.

the list of stupid WRs that dont run good routes gos on and on and on and on...people seem to love to put that knock on him because they have nothing else :dunno:

I hope hes a steeler so bad, I wouldnt mind allen or hunter though (preferably hunter)

Also wouldnt mind trading a 6th rounder for baldwinning

Real Deal Steel
04-17-2013, 11:21 AM
the list of stupid WRs that dont run good routes gos on and on and on and on...

Oh really? Name some? And..name the last "stupid" WR taken in the first round?

Real Deal Steel
04-17-2013, 11:24 AM
From Rotoworld.com:

Cosell: Justin Hunter draft's most gifted WR

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell calls Tennessee WR Justin Hunter the "most physically talented wide receiver" in this year's draft class.
Cosell believes Hunter's fluidity, vertical speed and "playmaking ability at the catch point" make him the most explosive route runner in a class that includes college teammate Cordarrelle Patterson and West Virginia's Tavon Austin. Cosell acknowledges Hunter committed too many "easy drops" in the SEC, but is convinced his "acceleration and vertical explosion" will impact games in the NFL. Hunter is No. 61 on Josh Norris' big board.

screw Patterson.

Real Deal Steel
04-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Screw Patterson.

K Train
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Oh really? Name some? And..name the last "stupid" WR taken in the first round?

Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas. Horrible route runners (Thomas never ran anything more than a 9 route at GT, now hes a top 5 WR)

Oh and Julio Jones and AJ Green have about the combined intelligence of an 8 year old....green was considered a safe pick by most but julio was a FAR cry from being a safe pick back then, theres a lot of hindsight when discussing julio jones and how he was viewed by a lot of people

Thomas is a perfect example though...when in the mid first, terrible route runner, dumb as a rock...but stud WR. Both thomas and patterson had 46 catches and 8 TDs in their last year in college, thomas averaged about 10 more per catch though because he was only asked to run 25 yards down the field in the triple option

K Train
04-17-2013, 11:35 AM
From Rotoworld.com:

Cosell: Justin Hunter draft's most gifted WR

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell calls Tennessee WR Justin Hunter the "most physically talented wide receiver" in this year's draft class.
Cosell believes Hunter's fluidity, vertical speed and "playmaking ability at the catch point" make him the most explosive route runner in a class that includes college teammate Cordarrelle Patterson and West Virginia's Tavon Austin. Cosell acknowledges Hunter committed too many "easy drops" in the SEC, but is convinced his "acceleration and vertical explosion" will impact games in the NFL. Hunter is No. 61 on Josh Norris' big board.

screw Patterson.
you'll listen to anyone who has anything bad to say about patterson lol....hunter is my #2 WR, but his "explosion" isnt what its being made out here...he is a bit slow off the snap and does have some drops. And it seemed that if the play wasnt designed for him he'd lose interest, especially in the run game

Real Deal Steel
04-17-2013, 11:40 AM
you'll listen to anyone who has anything bad to say about patterson lol...

And you'll listen to the minority supporting Patterson. Because it is in the minority big time now. So a guy who watches film FOR A LIVING doesn't know what he's talking about???? LOL

You are hilarious K. You just have a man crush on Patterson. Plain and simple.

For the record, Dez Bryant was NEVER known as being stupid. Troubled? Yes.
And neither was A.J. Green. None of these WR you named came to the draft with the label "stupid". You are making up stuff...which proves my point on why I'd stay away from Patterson.

K Train
04-17-2013, 11:52 AM
And you'll listen to the minority supporting Patterson. Because it is in the minority big time now. So a guy who watches film FOR A LIVING doesn't know what he's talking about???? LOL

You are hilarious K. You just have a man crush on Patterson. Plain and simple.

For the record, Dez Bryant was NEVER known as being stupid. Troubled? Yes.
And neither was A.J. Green. None of these WR you named came to the draft with the label "stupid". You are making up stuff...which proves my point on why I'd stay away from Patterson.
what??? Have you ever heard dez bryant speak even once? jesus hes so dumb...look up the clip about him not carrying roy williams pads his rookie year and tell me he can put a full thought together.

AJ green had one of the lowest wonderlic test scored by a WR ever...

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/03/18/a-j-green-bombs-in-wonderlic-does-that-mean-anything/

I dont think wonderlic really means anything at all, but to say his intelligence has never been questioned is you making things up, not me.

Its the "minority" talking about patterson as a top 10 pick (funny how this happens with 8 days to go until the draft...every year), but im taking about a mid first round pick which is EXACTLY where his value is....i do not think hunter would be a bad pick there either, i just think you are reaching so hard for reason to not like patterson..go google "cordarelle patterson cons" a little more and post whatever you can find to justify your opinion when its clearly you who have not watched the game film

Real Deal Steel
04-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Just because someone doesn't speak with perfect kings english doesn't make them "stupid".

"Football Stupid" is when you go to the chalk board and can't recognize the defense that's in front of you or you don't know the proper route to run on a specific play.

There are people all across this country which have a "mid-west accent" a "bostonian accent" or broken english depending if you were raised in an impovered community..........but it doesn't make you stupid. LOL.

You are hilarious K.

Real Deal Steel
04-17-2013, 12:08 PM
We are in a terrible position this year. We have more holes then at anytime in the last 8 years. And.........we have a GM who isn't very good in the later rounds. So........with good fortune, our top three selections will be starter (if we are lucky).

And you want to use one of our precious top three picks on a guy who has been labeled "stupid"?????? I could see if we had a more savy GM then maybe I'd be willing to gamble but we have dumb *** (I only know the missionary position) Colbert.

We can't afford to miss with the # 17 pick..NOT THIS YEAR! Give me a guy like J.Jones who we know will start and plug a serious need for us.

I want Ben to have more weapons too. Trust me. After the first round pick, I'd love to address the other side of the ball with the next 3 out of four draft picks. But we can't afford to miss. And we have a WR in Patterson who has been labeled for weeks now(not just recently) as stupid and can't read defenses. NO OTHER FIRST ROUND WR HAS CAME OUT RECENTLY AND BEEN LABELED LIKE THAT! Big red flag.

But as a Steeler fan, I'll support whoever they pick. But Patterson is a risk. If Colbert takes Patterson, I'm assuming he's done his homework on him. Because if Patterson becomes a bust, I will lead a campaign unprecedented in trying to get Colbert fired!

K Train
04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Just because someone doesn't speak with perfect kings english doesn't make them "stupid".

"Football Stupid" is when you go to the chalk board and can't recognize the defense that's in front of you or you don't know the proper route to run on a specific play.

There are people all across this country which have a "mid-west accent" a "bostonian accent" or broken english depending if you were raised in an impovered community..........but it doesn't make you stupid. LOL.

You are hilarious K.
Im telling you, hes stupid..its not the accent, its not just the way he speaks...its his lack of education, as it is with most of the guys i mentioned, they have been pampered athletes their whole lives...academics not exactly at the top of the list of priorities. Theres different levels and theres exceptions but all the guys i mentioned are very dumb people when it comes to society. Tebow is just as dumb as Rob Gronkowski, but Tebow praises the good lord while Gronk parties like a madman...its the same with guys like dez, thomas, patterson, p. peterson, mo. claiborne....great football players, and for the most part nice guys (dez with a little immaturity but nothing too too bad) but that doesnt take away the fact that they are not very well educated, high school and college were just a road to the pros

And i dont know how you know how patterson is on a chalk board...must be reading through more tweets as your main source of info.....you are hilarious RDS

Old Tennessee coach Derek Dooley told NFL.com's Gil Brandt that WR Cordarrelle Patterson "can be a head coach's delight."
Dooley's background is as a receivers coach and he now oversees the Cowboys' wideouts. His comment suggests Patterson isn't the headcase detractors have suggested he'll be at the next level. Patterson needs to learn to run routes with more explosion and confidence, but he may be the most talented offensive skill player in the draft. Brandt ranks Patterson as his No. 8 overall prospect.

And Butch Jones said he was sad to see him go, patterson was like the most coveted JUCO transfer to the SEC weve ever seen....but go ahead and believe the smoke screens

Black@Gold Forever32
04-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Real Deal really any player in the draft is a risk......There have been many players pegged to be a superstar only to bust......

K Train
04-17-2013, 12:13 PM
im not saying hes not a risk, im not saying hes a slam dunk, jones isnt a slam dunk either...theres plenty of question marks surropunding him, but im still a HUGE fan....but from what ive seen, both patterson and jones are plenty good enough to use 17 on. This is a year where there are very few guys that would upset me at 17...im fairly sure ill be ok with the pick. Theres a few exceptions, but not many like there usually are

Real Deal Steel
04-17-2013, 12:15 PM
We can't afford to miss with our first three picks. That's all I know. Not this year.

Real Deal Steel
04-17-2013, 12:17 PM
If Colbert takes Patterson, then as a Steeler fan, I'll support Patterson 100 percent. But if Patterson bust, with all the red flags he's shown, I'll lead a campaign to get Colbert out of there like it's nobody's business.

Linebacker and RB are the easiest two positions in football that can come in and make an impact. That's why I like Jones and Moore.

K Train
04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
I dont mind moore....hes a bit scary with his workouts (and theres a scary figure out there about sacks in the SEC not translating to the pros like you might think) but i was never a fan of his as a top 5 pick, in the 15-32 range theres value there.

Best shot at landing Patterson/Jones (1a 1b for me assuming star and jordan are gone) is a QB (or two...if Ponder, Tannehill and locker were top 12 guys then theres no reason Geno, barkley, or Manuel cant be) and a guard going before 17

Zachintosh66
04-17-2013, 01:00 PM
can somebody make a case for me for Patterson? In 4 of his games last year he had 2 or less catches and in one he had 3 but only 25 yards. I dont follow college football and I know there are more than stats, but I am not sure a guy who disappears like that is worth the 17th pick. Then you add the fact that his own QB said he didnt understand the offense. Those are two big red flags in my mind. So, someone please, in all sincerity, enlighten me and I dont need that he is 6'3" and fast. I know that part.

Does he have the size, speed and explosiveness? Yes. After that people are enamoured with that word potential. In reality, he doesnt run good routes. He isnt physical enough for his size and doesnt have much experience with jump balls. He catches the ball with his body too much. Not an effective blocker. Dont be fooled with his 219 yards vs Troy of all teams (1 TD). He wasnt the best WR on his team. He wasnt the go to guy on his team either. He did disappear often during games. If he was a steeler he would not beat out Sanders. He'd realisticly be hard pressed to beat out Plax or Jericho this season. Will take time to develop.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-17-2013, 01:04 PM
We can't afford to miss with our first three picks. That's all I know. Not this year.

You're 100% correct on that Real Deal....This draft has to be a homerun........The first three picks all must become starters oneday and really they have to hit on a few of those late round guys to at least become role players one day.....

But really every player in this draft has question marks surrounding them not just Patterson......

K Train
04-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Does he have the size, speed and explosiveness? Yes. After that people are enamoured with that word potential. In reality, he doesnt run good routes. He isnt physical enough for his size and doesnt have much experience with jump balls. He catches the ball with his body too much. Not an effective blocker. Dont be fooled with his 219 yards vs Troy of all teams (1 TD). He wasnt the best WR on his team. He wasnt the go to guy on his team either. He did disappear often during games. If he was a steeler he would not beat out Sanders. He'd realisticly be hard pressed to beat out Plax or Jericho this season. Will take time to develop.
potential is literally all any of these players have...patterson just has more than most. That jump ball stat is weird, i saw that on NFL.com the other day

Also, its worth noting that tennessee lost all of their away games last season and they only had 4....they were by far patterson and hunters worse games, they just couldnt do anything on the road...not just them, the whole team. The defense gave up over 40 points a game and bray had to play from behind the whole time and played like ****. Not even ONE of justin hunters TDs came in an away game and only 2 for patterson

Zachintosh66
04-17-2013, 01:40 PM
potential is literally all any of these players have...patterson just has more than most. That jump ball stat is weird, i saw that on NFL.com the other day

One would assume its b/c of Hunter. Hunter is 6-4 while Patt is 6-2... Maybe just never really been in the position to be that guy before. If he did end up a steeler, Plax may be one of the best to learn that trait. If in Pitt he will learn to block, or he wont be here long. Its not that im anti-patt, its just im anti-patt at 17. To be honest, i have a man crush on Allen, Woods and Swope. But Allen just ran himself backwards. Woods and Swope arent first rounders. But theres also talk of Patt's interviews have been a concern, which could make him slip as well. So who knows, lol.

greg1964
04-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Copper
Warmack
Jones
Vaccaro
Ogletree

K Train
04-17-2013, 01:45 PM
I edited my post

Swope legit reminds me of santonio holmes the way he runs the slant, woods is probably a late first rounder but wont make it out of the second. Keenan Allen would be a good pick, but i think hes quite a ways below both Tennessee guys

Real Deal Steel
04-17-2013, 01:56 PM
But really every player in this draft has question marks surrounding them not just Patterson......

That's no excuse. That's an excuse that losing organizations use. Colbert and Rooney don't use free agency...so they place an even bigger burden on their backs. So, with that said, they can't afford to miss. Colbert needs a grade "A" draft this time. The first 3 picks have to be players that start and play well for us to compete this season.

Rooney is just as responsible by living in the stone ages and not using free agency. The way the Giants organization uses free agency is the exact model that we should follow.

We can't afford to gamble on Patterson. Too many red flags. Red flags that are usually not associated with a first round pick WR.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-17-2013, 01:59 PM
That's no excuse. That's an excuse that losing organizations use. Colbert and Rooney don't use free agency...so they place an even bigger burden on their backs. So, with that said, they can't afford to miss. Colbert needs a grade "A" draft this time. The first 3 picks have to be players that start and play well for us to compete this season.

Rooney is just as responsible by living in the stone ages and not using free agency. The way the Giants organization uses free agency is the exact model that we should follow.

We can't afford to gamble on Patterson. Too many red flags. Red flags that are usually not associated with a first round pick WR.

I never said it was an excuse and I guess you missed when I agreed with you about the Steelers first three picks have to be starters......But you keep going on about red flags on Patterson when almost every player has some kind of red flag and really there is no guarantees in the draft......Jarvis Jones has a medical condition, some say he doesn't work out hard enough, I have read reports about him not playing the run well........So doesn't Jones have as many red flags as Patterson?.....That is all I'm saying......

cmerrifield
04-17-2013, 01:59 PM

We need to follow the Giants method so we can make the playoffs like they did last year.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

K Train
04-17-2013, 02:23 PM

follow the giant model? washed up dlinemen like shaun rodgers, chris canty and cullin jenkins?

Youre talking about a team that drafted Marvin Austin (a 5 start HS recruit that did nothing at NC or the pros), has drafted a handful of OTs high that have busted (brewster, beatty), let aaron ross and kenny phillips walk, let coefield walk, are about to lose either cruz or nicks, drafted a disappointing amukamara...they are pretty much the same team as the steelers, recent disappointing draft picks and young players that walk but are still continually pretty competitive despite disappointing draft picks and have struggled putting together a long term oline...except they bring in old guys to play in their 43 and they dont care who plays LB for them (rivers sucks, blackburn is eh, herzlich is a backup, they failed with clint sintim)

Free agents the giants have brought in...the old dlinemen i listed above, and who? Antrell Rolle a few years back? Bennett who was on the team for a year? Thats definitely a team that builds through the draft and doesnt over pay its own players...they let shockey, boss, bradshaw, jacobs, coefield, phillips, ross, osi, manningham all walk to get overpaid somewhere else and they drafted wilson, austin, hosely, randel, and JPP to replace them

Real Deal Steel
04-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Oh course the Giants build through the draft like us...but you guys are missing the point.

They use free agency SOMEWHAT, that's the whole point. They don't go overboard with it, but they use it. THAT'S what I"m trying to get across. I don't want to go crazy with free agency. I always want us to build primarily through the draft but adding a key free agent to fill a need is necessary every now and then.

For example, after the draft when the second wave of free agency begins, because there is such a deep troth of TE's in this draft, there maybe a servicable, older TE released that we can use to somewhat replace Miller. Adding that TE to the team would be great and it would be even better when Miller returns. That's what I"m refering too.

NeilPatrickBanana
04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Im telling you, hes stupid..its not the accent, its not just the way he speaks...its his lack of education, as it is with most of the guys i mentioned, they have been pampered athletes their whole lives...academics not exactly at the top of the list of priorities. Theres different levels and theres exceptions but all the guys i mentioned are very dumb people when it comes to society. Tebow is just as dumb as Rob Gronkowski, but Tebow praises the good lord while Gronk parties like a madman...its the same with guys like dez, thomas, patterson, p. peterson, mo. claiborne....great football players, and for the most part nice guys (dez with a little immaturity but nothing too too bad) but that doesnt take away the fact that they are not very well educated, high school and college were just a road to the pros

And i dont know how you know how patterson is on a chalk board...must be reading through more tweets as your main source of info.....you are hilarious RDS

And Butch Jones said he was sad to see him go, patterson was like the most coveted JUCO transfer to the SEC weve ever seen....but go ahead and believe the smoke screens

watching you provide evidence to support your claims... only to have Real Deal come back with "nuh uh"... why do you bother? He's part of Team Village Idiot

Rocky#20
04-17-2013, 02:56 PM
My 3 are; Warmack
Jones
Eifert

TarlsQtr
04-17-2013, 03:04 PM
So a guy who watches film FOR A LIVING doesn't know what he's talking about???? LOL

I mean, this leaves me almost speechless. Are you that lacking in self-awareness that you could say this?

Aren't Colbert, Tomlin, Dick Lebeau, et al. all people who watch film for a living? Yet, they are the Three Stooges in your book. And Colbert isn't even Curly in your book. He is Shemp.

TarlsQtr
04-17-2013, 03:09 PM
RDS at 10:40 today:
So a guy who watches film FOR A LIVING doesn't know what he's talking about???? LOL

RDS 28 minutes later:
I could see if we had a more savy GM then maybe I'd be willing to gamble but we have dumb *** (I only know the missionary position) Colbert.

This sh!t is too funny to make up...

Crash
04-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Yeah lets draft more tight ends for Haley's garbage offense.

That's the ticket.

coldrolled
04-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Steelers could find value at tight end

Published: Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 11:50 p.m.
Updated 16 hours ago

Jarvis Jones? Kenny Vaccaro? Cordarrelle Patterson? Tavon Austin?

No, no, no and no.

For all of their multiple needs — and they might have more than in any recent draft — the Steelers simply must take one player if he is available with the No. 17 pick in the NFL Draft, according to ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

And that's Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert.

Eifert would almost be a luxury to a team that already has Heath Miller — who caught a team-high 71 passes last season — even though it is uncertain when Miller will return from a torn ACL. But to Kiper, he would be a must-take pick.

“If he's there for the Steelers, he helps that offense. He helps Big Ben (Roethlisberger) a lot,” Kiper said. “You need two tight ends in this league. Look at all the options that teams have with two tight ends, how viable and problematic for a defense having two very good tight ends is.”

For all the attention given Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o during and after the season, Eifert separated himself from the rest of the tight ends at the NFL Scouting Combine in February and likely is to be the first Fighting Irish player taken in the draft.

“I'm lucky to be coming in at a time when the type of tight end I am is being used quite a bit in the passing game,” Eifert said. “But (I'm) also a guy that can stay in the game on every down throughout the game and can block, create mismatches in the passing game. ... I strive to be a complete tight end.”

Zach Ertz (6-foot-6, 250) is the same size as Eifert and put up huge numbers at Stanford not only with Andrew Luck at quarterback but after him, too. Eifert and Ertz probably will go 1-2 among tight ends, though Ertz probably won't go until the second round.

“Both these kids are what today's tight ends are all about, an ability to move around and do different things,” NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. “They're both big enough to line up on the line if you ask them to.”

He added, “I thought Eifert did a better job blocking this year than he did in past years and a little better job than Ertz.”

But, Ertz said in his defense, “At Stanford, we were a run-first offense. I took a lot of pride in my run blocking. As a receiver, that stuff kind of came more naturally.”

Another intriguing tight end is Gavin Escobar, who might have the best hands of the group. He is one of the few San Diego State players of recent vintage to pass up their senior season to turn pro. He made 51 catches as a sophomore and 42 more last season.

Tight ends who could go in the mid to late rounds yet offer value include Nick Casa, who was more of a blocker than a receiver at Colorado, and Kyle Jurszczyk, who was employed mostly as a receiver at Harvard only to unexpectedly show off his blocking skills at the Senior Bowl.

Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at arobinson@tribweb.com or via Twitter @arobinson_Trib.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/nfl/3851529-74/tight-eifert-ends?printerfriendly=true#ixzz2QkrU7H1W
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

K Train
04-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Escobar in 2 or 3 would be better than eifert in 1...but im a huge eifert fan, i just cant justify that pick over some others

coldrolled
04-17-2013, 05:46 PM
The Falcons' biggest needs are at cornerback and defensive end. Around The League's Marc Sessler passed along similar buzz on Saturday from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution; the newspaper said the Falcons wanted to move up for a cornerback.

Florida State's Xavier Rhodes is a sensible target; Washington's Desmond Trufant might be another possibility. Even though the local paper is saying cornerback, a defensive lineman makes more sense to us as a target. The draft class is deeper with pass rushers.

Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff has shown in the past that he's not afraid to deal on draft day. The Falcons have an extra fourth-round pick to play with this year.

K Train
04-17-2013, 05:49 PM
if the falcons want 17 its going to cost 30 and 60

ChucktownSteeler
04-17-2013, 06:27 PM
DJ Johnson should be back for opening day.

Zachintosh66
04-17-2013, 06:52 PM
DJ Johnson should be back for opening day.

Hahaha and? Who cares... Hes a bum.

Real Deal Steel
04-17-2013, 07:11 PM

at least that.

coldrolled
04-17-2013, 07:13 PM

It would'nt cost more to move up 13 spots in RD1?

Dallas Burgher
04-17-2013, 11:22 PM
I like him. I am not dying for him but I would be happy with that pick.

Big T
04-17-2013, 11:54 PM
What a strange question. If anything it should be like "At 17, what 10 players do you consider acceptable?"... There's way too many "acceptable" options... Maybe if you had a list of 5-10 players to choose from it would be a better question.

K Train
04-18-2013, 03:00 AM
theres not many players i would HATE this draft, at least at 17...sheldon richardson would be one, Alec Ogletree another. I wouldnt be THRILLED with a handful of guys like vaccaro or eifert, but i think they are good enough players to take. This story is gonna be the story of who im mad they passed on rather than the guy they take

LevonKirkland99
04-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Not Patterson....He will be another Wallace. No Thanks!!!

Big T
04-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Not Patterson....He will be another Wallace. No Thanks!!!

You mean having statistically one of the most productive careers through a recievers first few years in the history of the league? hmmm...

LevonKirkland99
04-19-2013, 12:49 AM
You mean having statistically one of the most productive careers through a recievers first few years in the history of the league? hmmm...

I know you love Wallace...others on this board love wallace too :) . Wallace is swimming in money right now...and we have to start all over again...hmmmm

Big T
04-19-2013, 01:53 AM
I know you love Wallace...others on this board love wallace too :) . Wallace is swimming in money right now...and we have to start all over again...hmmmm

The Steelers dropped the ball. They couldve given him 10-11 mil a year last year but instead paid Antonio Brown what they were offering Wallace. Wallace played it right and, even with a somewhat down year, got a **** ton more money than he would've gotten here. I have no problem with his "holdout" (in quotes because he was technically a free agent without a contract), and the James Harrison situation is exactly why. People will bash holdouts saying to "abide by their contract" or "honor" the contract they signed (even though Mike Wallace played out his and was not under contract), but the organization doesn't do it. When they don't think you're worth it anymore they just tear it up and dump you. The same people that bash Wallace for his "holdout" bash Harrison for not taking a paycut. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Mike Wallace will always be a favorite of mine. Again, the James Harrison situation is exactly why I don't understand all the hate Wallace received.

Real Deal Steel
04-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Wallace did a fine Desean Jackson imitation last year. THAT'S why people are so hard on him. He QUIT on the field on plays. The worse thing an athlete can do is quit.

Big T
04-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Wallace did a fine Desean Jackson imitation last year. THAT'S why people are so hard on him. He QUIT on the field on plays. The worse thing an athlete can do is quit.

BS... That may have added to it, but the second buzz started that he wouldn't attend OTAs and Training Camp he was public enemy number 1. We had all our heated debates, along with Flame's desire for Wallace to die, before/during training camp.

LatrobePA
04-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Wallace gave 50 percent effort, come on man admit it!

Real Deal Steel
04-19-2013, 01:52 PM
BS... That may have added to it, but the second buzz started that he wouldn't attend OTAs and Training Camp he was public enemy number 1. We had all our heated debates, along with Flame's desire for Wallace to die, before/during training camp.

True..

But he put nails in his coffin by his on the field (or lack there of) performance.

Flame wanted Wallace to die???????????????????????????? DAMN!!!! Flame was off the hedges during that period. LOL

Big T
04-19-2013, 04:26 PM
True..

But he put nails in his coffin by his on the field (or lack there of) performance.

Flame wanted Wallace to die???????????????????????????? DAMN!!!! Flame was off the hedges during that period. LOL

Ya no **** lol. Hoping for career ending injuries or that he would die...

But yes his performance at times added to it but he was already a dead man walking at that point.

Big T
04-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Wallace gave 50 percent effort, come on man admit it!

Lol no one is debating that

Zachintosh66
04-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Gotta be womack/cooper, jones or trade back...

Only one id be pissed about is Ogleetree.

Very very scared if we pick Patterson.

Think theres is slim to no chance we trade up...

coldrolled
04-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Heres a TOP 20 - Bucky Brooks

Elite prospects

These players should earn Pro Bowl recognition early in their careers and rank among the top five players at their respective positions within two or three years.

1) Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
2) Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
3) Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
4) Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
5) Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

Blue chips

These prospects are regarded as difference-makers based solely on their talent. They should start as rookies and make immediate contributions to their respective teams.

Brandt: Revisiting The Hot 100

Gil Brandt takes another shot at ranking the 100 best prospects in this tricky draft class -- and makes plenty of changes. More

1) Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
2) Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
3) Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
4) Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
5) Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
6) Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE, BYU
7) Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
8) Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
9) Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
10) Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
11) Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
12) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
13) Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
14) Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
15) Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

K Train
04-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Gotta be womack/cooper, jones or trade back...

Only one id be pissed about is Ogleetree.

Very very scared if we pick Patterson.

Think theres is slim to no chance we trade up...
why slim to no chance? They traded up for troy and for holmes. Its very possible they trade up for jones, patterson, or even ansah (who lebeau didnt even need his viagara to get it up for)

steelchamp204
04-19-2013, 05:44 PM
What is with Patterson??? Is he the next Rice or somthing.

Zachintosh66
04-21-2013, 12:07 PM
What is with Patterson??? Is he the next Rice or somthing.

More like the next Limas Sweed

Rocky#20
04-21-2013, 02:08 PM
More like the next Limas Sweed

LOL I actually think he will be the next Mike Wallace, amazing speed, poor route runner, questionable hands, but with the ability to make a great play once in a while.

LevonKirkland99
04-21-2013, 05:37 PM
The Steelers dropped the ball. They couldve given him 10-11 mil a year last year but instead paid Antonio Brown what they were offering Wallace. Wallace played it right and, even with a somewhat down year, got a **** ton more money than he would've gotten here. I have no problem with his "holdout" (in quotes because he was technically a free agent without a contract), and the James Harrison situation is exactly why. People will bash holdouts saying to "abide by their contract" or "honor" the contract they signed (even though Mike Wallace played out his and was not under contract), but the organization doesn't do it. When they don't think you're worth it anymore they just tear it up and dump you. The same people that bash Wallace for his "holdout" bash Harrison for not taking a paycut. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Mike Wallace will always be a favorite of mine. Again, the James Harrison situation is exactly why I don't understand all the hate Wallace received.

I get your point about Wallace, and he had every right to holdout; however, when he did, the Steelers knew right then and there he was not gonna be resigned. That's just how the Steelers roll. It is frustrating to us fans, but it is the way they conduct business.

Big T
04-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I get your point about Wallace, and he had every right to holdout; however, when he did, the Steelers knew right then and there he was not gonna be resigned. That's just how the Steelers roll. It is frustrating to us fans, but it is the way they conduct business.

No argument here.

Real Deal Steel
04-21-2013, 09:21 PM
So....
Since Colbert knew this, then why not deal him away and get something instead of letting him walk and we receive practically nothing? That is what frustrates us as far as Colbert is concerned.