PDA

View Full Version : Top Super Bowl Linebackers: #1 Jack Lambert

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Congratulations to Jack Lambert... tell me something we didn't know already...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0701/gallery.top.sb.linebackers/content.10.html

Why didn't they just say best ever??

:tt02: :tt02: :hail:

58Lambert
02-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Who is this Jack Lambert guy anyway?? :nahnah:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 06:21 AM
Hell yeah, there is none more deserving than Lambert. Everytime you see a highlight video of this guy he was all Steelers through and through; and as intense a player and anybody who has ever played this game!

DIESELMAN
02-03-2007, 06:53 AM
Lambert is Da Man!!!!! Always was, always will be!!!!!

SteelersWoman
02-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Who else? No one played that position like Jack, and all the bigger he was, it's just unbelievable that he did the things he did. I've watched some old footage...talk about bone crushing hits! Makes ME cringe, and I'm not even the one on the other end of it lol

Captcoolhand
02-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Lambert was a Monster and I'm glad he played for the Steelers:clap:
But many would argue that Dick Butkus was the meanest, nastiest, fiercest linebacker to ever put on a helmet. To bad he never played in a SB:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 10:28 AM
could you imagine those 2 on the same team !! :eek: Talk about tough !!

Captcoolhand
02-03-2007, 10:48 AM
could you imagine those 2 on the same team !! :eek: Talk about tough !!
My God, Teams would be tremble when it came time to play us:yesnod:

It is possible that Dick Butkus was the meanest, nastiest, fiercest linebacker to ever put on a helmet. More than a quarter of a century after his retirement, there remains the Butkus image: the middle linebacker wrapping up a running back and viciously slamming him to the ground like an unwanted toy. There is also the famous photograph of No. 51 with his lips curled in contempt taken during a game in 1968.
After being a two-time All-American at Illinois, where he played center as well as linebacker, Butkus terrorized NFL offenses as the hub of the Chicago Bears' defense. The man who lived for contact was all-NFL seven times and played in the Pro Bowl eight times in a career cut short to nine years by knee injuries. In 1970, a panel of NFL coaches voted Butkus the player they would start with if they were building a new team from scratch.
He had the speed and quickness to make tackles from sideline to sideline and to cover tight ends and running backs on pass plays. He had instinct, strength, leadership and -- perhaps most important -- anger.
"When I went out on the field to warm up, I would manufacture things to make me mad," Butkus said. "If someone on the other team was laughing, I'd pretend he was laughing at me or the Bears. I'd find something to get mad about. It always worked for me."
Teammates and opponents alike marveled at Butkus' ferocity. He intimidated players like nobody else. "If I had a choice, I'd sooner go one-on-one with a grizzly bear," former Green Bay Packers running back MacArthur Lane said. "I prayed that I could get up every time Butkus hit me."
The 6-foot-3, 245-pounder also had, as they say, a nose for the ball. He set a team record by recovering six fumbles as a rookie. When he retired after the 1973 season, he owned the NFL record for opponents' fumbles recovered with 25. Cont...http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00014131.html
I got to give props. He was a mad man of his time.

BlackGold4vr
02-03-2007, 11:22 AM
I saw one of those NFL shows that highlighted Dick Butkus's career and without a doubt this is the #1 linebacker of all time! I am a huge Lambert fan but I would still rank Lawrence Taylor ahead of Jack as well. Lambert played on a better defensive unit. LT changed games almost single handedly! I would rank those as the top 3 for sure. I know that this may cause some raised eyebrows amongst Steeler faithful! Especially since LT had the drug problems throughout his career. On the field LT was a madman and defensively he dominated a decade on a defense that was not a "Steel Curtain". Anyway, I saw a clip of Butkus where he chased a RB up into the bleachers to tackle him! In todays game that would be a 4-6 game suspension at least. I don't think that there was ever a player more feared than DB! He readily admits he played to hurt people! Mike Singletary would be my 4th on my all time list!

:beer3:

BBG7
02-03-2007, 12:39 PM
congrats to Lambert....he definately deserves it!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 12:40 PM
That's what it was all about back then, the passion for the game. It's not like they made a ton of money doing it either but they played because they had a committment to the game and their teammates to go 100% every play and the passion was so evident for these guys on the field. When they say they wanted to hurt you, they meant it !

Not that being passionate means you are out to hurt anyone necessarily but back then the mindset for the game was alot different than today.

SteelersWoman
02-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Butkus was all those things, I'm sure--but he weighed 245, Jack only weighed around 200. Close to a 50 lb difference, and that kind of weight can make a huge difference when it comes to imposing your will over someone.

I think for Jack's size, he did amazing things. I just don't expect someone as wiry as he was to do the things he did, and THAT makes him better in my opinion. It SHOULD have come easier for Butkus--he had the size, Jack didn't, so that makes him tougher in my opinion. For a guy to be so "small" and not be afraid to go up against the biggest of them, and play like he did? Now THAT takes guts.

DIESELMAN
02-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Butkus was all those things, I'm sure--but he weighed 245, Jack only weighed around 200. Close to a 50 lb difference, and that kind of weight can make a huge difference when it comes to imposing your will over someone.

I think for Jack's size, he did amazing things. I just don't expect someone as wiry as he was to do the things he did, and THAT makes him better in my opinion. It SHOULD have come easier for Butkus--he had the size, Jack didn't, so that makes him tougher in my opinion. For a guy to be so "small" and not be afraid to go up against the biggest of them, and play like he did? Now THAT takes guts.

You got that right girl!!!!! :bigthumb:

BlitzburghNation
02-03-2007, 03:50 PM
:iagree:
:tt02: :helmet: :tt02: :helmet: :tt02: :helmet: :tt02:

BB2W
02-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Well deserved... :redcool:

OneSteelSoldier
02-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Lambert and Hamm were by far the best middle and outside linebackers to ever play the game. LT was a junky, and needed drugs to perform at that level.

BlackGold4vr
02-03-2007, 06:35 PM

Lambert never played at 200lbs...thats not accurate.

Iron City South
02-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Jack's biggest contribution to the Steelers that many people don't stop to think about is the fact that his disposition, his style, his attitude ... is what personified Stiller football for the generations to come. Believe it or not, ex-Stillers like Jack Lambers, Levon Kirkland, Kevin Green, and Greg Lloyd are recruiting tools.

Younger LB's coming into the game today watch old clips of Jack and Greg Lloyd and want to carry on that type of intimidating attitude. Younger LB's want to come to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers because

1) the fans revere fierce LB's

and

2) their system gives them the opportunity to be a bad ***.