PDA

View Full Version : McClain release, do we have space for him? Does Tomlin still want him?

scudmissile29
04-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Back in 2009, Tomlin was quoted as saying to an Alabama coach "He can be my mike any day, tell him that"

So, should we go after McClain?

He's 23
He's played for the Raiders -- that automatically ****s your career over
He also played in the wrong position in a 4-3 defense, he's a 3-4 ILB
He would be a steal and would allow Spence to possibly move to the OLB if he ever comes back
He would come cheap, McClain wants to play for a "real" team. I don't think he will get much attention after his run ins.

I would go after him and offer him around $3M a year. Some may only want to give him $1M.

Your thoughts?

LatrobePA
04-06-2013, 10:53 AM
He'd be a nice addition!

steelchamp204
04-06-2013, 12:28 PM
All he would be is a ST player until he was 27, We'll keep Foote 2 years to late like Farrior and then he will start.

polamalu43
04-06-2013, 12:59 PM
2 years $3 mill...........let him prove something. Guys at 23 are just starting to grow up. He could be a 10 year starter for us? Too bad we don't have Harrison still to lay a beating on him if he acts up!

Big T
04-06-2013, 01:47 PM
You're showing your hypocrisy again Flame. I thought you hated the "thug"/"gangsta" type players (ie Rolando McClain)...

ice cream glove
04-06-2013, 02:36 PM
All he would be is a ST player until he was 27, We'll keep Foote 2 years to late like Farrior and then he will start.

:lol:

scudmissile29
04-06-2013, 03:31 PM
You're showing your hypocrisy again Flame. I thought you hated the "thug"/"gangsta" type players (ie Rolando McClain)...

no, i don't care for thugs -- only want team players.

I don't care if a player rapes or stabs someone and scores a touchdown -- i'm chearing him
someone who holds out and has done something (hines ward) im annoyed at but still cheers
someone who thinks hes the best, names himself young money and holds out i want dead (mike wallace)

I'll welcome mcclain with open arms.

ChucktownSteeler
04-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Bring him in for a look see. Still young and has something to prove.

SnakeEyes43
04-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Bring him in, talk with him, give him a physical, go from there.

coldrolled
04-06-2013, 06:05 PM
hell be a raven on monday they wont wait...

Zachintosh66
04-06-2013, 06:15 PM
1. Not the Steelers style (aka a punk)
2. Everyone released doesnt have to be speculated into coming to us
3. We have just enough cap room for draft picks. Were like 28th of 32 teams in cap space.
4. Delete this thread

coldrolled
04-06-2013, 06:58 PM
3. We have just enough cap room for draft picks. Were like 28th of 32 teams in cap space.
4. Delete this thread

Basically were broke and in slow rebuild mode for 2 years.

Doesnt Colon's cash in June pay for all the draft picks and some extras later.

polamalu43
04-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Exactly........his release is $5 mill which will cover draft picks and a bit more. Plus we have $2 mill today.

K Train
04-06-2013, 08:43 PM

no, he would play on defense...probably a lot

SteelCityKid5
04-06-2013, 09:36 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat... I always liked him... IMO thumbs up

Zachintosh66
04-06-2013, 09:37 PM

um, he was kidding

coldrolled
04-06-2013, 10:03 PM

We need a sarcasm icon

SnakeEyes43
04-06-2013, 10:58 PM
hell be a raven on monday they wont wait...

I thought this immediately when I saw on ESPN that he was officially released. They won't sit back and wait if they want him, unlike our organization.

scudmissile29
04-07-2013, 08:56 AM
4. Delete this thread

5. let's delete you, you are worthless to this site.

scudmissile29
04-07-2013, 08:57 AM

I'd replace him for Foote easily...

Foote's not bad but McClain would be an upgrade imo. Or at least split time like timmons/foote in 08

LatrobePA
04-07-2013, 10:11 AM
This team needs a little nasty, he is! He'll look great in purple cause this team is fn stupid and won't bring anyone with some upside in just washed up turds!

coldrolled
04-08-2013, 10:45 PM
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Monday on "NFL Total Access" that McClain already has received three offers from interested teams, according to a source close to the player. Two additional teams are said to have interest.

i bet we are one of the two with interest...

LatrobePA
04-08-2013, 10:50 PM
He'll be a raven!

greg1964
04-09-2013, 08:41 AM
I would bring him in after the draft: Behind the starter, (Foote, Timmons) there is no depth. Spence furture is still a mistory: And even through Foote signed a three year deal, (for cap reasons)it could only be a one year deal, if someone younger was pushing for the position, besides it typical takes a LB and year to undertsand the Steelers' way.

Mike Tomlin
04-09-2013, 09:57 AM
I want to see what Brian Rolle does in camp.

Rollers
04-09-2013, 08:00 PM
mauti. Get him as a free agent. Kid has heart and size.

K Train
04-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Mcclain is nearing a deal with the ravens.....

LatrobePA
04-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Baltimore Ravens, Rolando McClain close to a deal

By Kareem Copeland

Published: April 10, 2013 at 2:47 AM PDT

Modified: April 10, 2013 at 2:47 AM PDT

The Baltimore Ravens and linebacker Rolando McClain are close to deal, sources told NFL.com's Albert Breer on Wednesday.

McClain was the No. 8 overall pick in 2010, but was recently cut by the Oakland Raiders . He had 99 tackles and five sacks in 2011, but never quite fit with the Raiders . McClain's strength has always been against the run, but off-the-field issues certainly played a role in his release .

McClain still has a ton of potential at 23 years old and the Ravens don't have a penciled in replacement for Ray Lewis. Defensive coordinator Dean Pees recently talked about moving Courtney Upshaw inside .

This could be the chance for McClain to get his career back on track.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland .

coldrolled
04-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Suggs and McClain suck.. We have Rolle man! Lets Roll...

steelchamp204
04-10-2013, 12:21 PM
I wish Ozzie were our Gm, I have no clue why Colbert doesnt think this would be a decent signing. Who knows what is going on with Spence, we need depth at lb.

SnakeEyes43
04-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Baltimore Ravens, Rolando McClain close to a deal

The Baltimore Ravens and linebacker Rolando McClain are close to deal, sources told NFL.com's Albert Breer on Wednesday.

McClain was the No. 8 overall pick in 2010, but was recently cut by the Oakland Raiders . He had 99 tackles and five sacks in 2011, but never quite fit with the Raiders . McClain's strength has always been against the run, but off-the-field issues certainly played a role in his release .

McClain still has a ton of potential at 23 years old and the Ravens don't have a penciled in replacement for Ray Lewis. Defensive coordinator Dean Pees recently talked about moving Courtney Upshaw inside .

This could be the chance for McClain to get his career back on track.

F*cking knew it. Watch him turn in to a stud these next few years.

coldrolled
04-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Ravens site says a 1 year deal... wow what a gamble.

LatrobePA
04-10-2013, 01:30 PM
F*cking knew it. Watch him turn in to a stud these next few years.

Same here! **** this team!

Real Deal Steel
04-10-2013, 02:16 PM
So your telling me that Colbert couldn't have done the same?? A one year deal?? But the Colbert ball washers will tell you that Colbert walks on water. :rolleyes:

LatrobePA
04-10-2013, 02:53 PM
So your telling me that Colbert couldn't have done the same?? A one year deal?? But the Colbert ball washers will tell you that Colbert walks on water. :rolleyes:

So let me get this right, we were 8-8 with a full staff of starters last season. Now without some keys starters and no replacements in place we're expected to be better then an 8-8 team? Overreaction, NO, reality YES!

Real Deal Steel
04-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Let's see what the second wave of free agency brings after the draft. THEN...we can make our predictions. But I'm right in line with you as of now Latrobe.

steelers75
04-10-2013, 07:16 PM
So let me get this right, we were 8-8 with a full staff of starters last season. Now without some keys starters and no replacements in place we're expected to be better then an 8-8 team? Overreaction, NO, reality YES!

"Full staff of starters? " Did you bother to watch any of last season at all? We were down to starting our 4th and 5th corners at one point, for Christ's sake.

LatrobePA
04-10-2013, 07:41 PM
"Full staff of starters? " Did you bother to watch any of last season at all? We were down to starting our 4th and 5th corners at one point, for Christ's sake.

And that's who's fault? They draft duds and put even bigger duds on the PS.

coldrolled
04-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Wow tomlin really didnt like him anymore...

Rolando McClain didn't live up to expectations with the Oakland Raiders. Now, he'll try to replace a legend in Baltimore.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that the Ravens have agreed to a contract with linebacker Rolando McClain. The one-year contract is worth $700,000 with incentives. McClain would be line to step into Ray Lewis' former role.

McClain will be in Baltimore on Friday to take a physical and meet with coach John Harbaugh and general manager Ozzie Newsome, who will speak to McClain about the expectations they have for the former first-round draft pick who flamed out with the Raiders.

BubbyBlister
04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
And that's who's fault? They draft duds and put even bigger duds on the PS. Don't worry Colbert is getting his dart board out and ready for the draft. Word is he has been practicing darts on his son's Nintendo WII all off season. Sources around Colbert say he expects this draft to be even more special.

Thomas_43
04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
I would have paid the man a mil....no questions asked, then I would have paid a f'n chaperone 100k a year to do nothing but follow the guy around at all times, and make sure he doesn't mess up......this one will bite us in the ***

LatrobePA
04-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Don't worry Colbert is getting his dart board out and ready for the draft. Word is he has been practicing darts on his son's Nintendo WII all off season. Sources around Colbert say he expects this draft to be even more special.

I hope this works better then what turd he pisses on while taking a crap!

K Train
04-10-2013, 08:24 PM
mcclain signed with baltimore 1 year 700k....lol

steelers75
04-11-2013, 03:35 AM
And that's who's fault? They draft duds and put even bigger duds on the PS.

It's called a salary cap, genius. Show me any 4th corner and 5th corner in the league worth a **** as a starter. But I'm sure if it were left up to you, we'd get perennial pro bowlers on every round of every draft and we'd go 19-0 and win the Super Bowl every season!

LatrobePA
04-11-2013, 09:56 AM
It's called a salary cap, genius. Show me any 4th corner and 5th corner in the league worth a **** as a starter. But I'm sure if it were left up to you, we'd get perennial pro bowlers on every round of every draft and we'd go 19-0 and win the Super Bowl every season!

So you're new to the site and calling names? Cool, I see how it'll be... **** face! This team is going to be another 8-8 at best team this season and you still believe salary cap is the reason we don't sign anything but PS players in the offseason? LOL you my man or kid are fn clueless! This team has the money and means to of signed all the players the Ravens did, they didn't break the bank at all. So now what they did was build back up a team to beat the Steelers while we are built to barely beat the Browns! Good thinking!

K Train
04-11-2013, 10:00 AM
i get why WE are annoyed the ravens are signing these guys, but the general consensus is "who cares?" when it comes to huff and mcclain....other teams arent worried about it because they really arent THAT good of players. They both could have been good fits here, but they are not going to ravens because they are building a dream team, they are going there because they are offering pretty underwhelming players a contract and they have spots they can start in and try to earn some money next year.

everyone needs to ****ing chill....it seems all the time

TarlsQtr
04-11-2013, 10:02 AM
i get why WE are annoyed the ravens are signing these guys, but the general consensus is "who cares?" when it comes to huff and mcclain....other teams arent worried about it because they really arent THAT good of players. They both could have been good fits here, but they are not going to ravens because they are building a dream team, they are going there because they are offering pretty underwhelming players a contract and they have spots they can start in and try to earn some money next year.

^What he said...^

TarlsQtr
04-11-2013, 10:09 AM
McClain will discuss the goals and expectations for him with team officials as well before formally signing.http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22045820/former-raider-mcclain-agrees-to-terms-with-ravens-

When you have to go over the expectation to "not be a f___ up" before signing him, the chances are he is a "f____ up." There is a reason that no one else signed the guy for that pittance either.

K Train
04-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Doom was a sneaky signing by them, but Mcclain is an Alabama back woods thug and has been underwhelming and slow. I think the 34 can mask his lack of speed, and i think hed be a good fit next to timmons but theres serious questions surrounding his drive for the game, he cant get out of the "hood", i use quotes because its more like the woods. The dude beat the **** out of a guy and fired a gun next to his ear just to make him go deaf....lol

As far as huff goes, again...im a fan of how he would have fit here...hes big, fast, rangy, and can play man even lined up at corner....but again, btoh of these guys went in the top 8 are are massively disappointing....the ravens gave them a chance, but they have HUGE holes at MLB and S so these guys get a chance to come in a prove themselves if they dont flame out all together, we have depth issues at the position, the ravens literally didnt have a player so the signings make sense

I cant believe how bitchy and whiny everyone is we are in the middle of the most exciting time weve had in the offseason in YEARS....one of our RFAs got signed to and offer sheet!!

Real Deal Steel
04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
The general consensus is that everyone seems annoyed on how the young talent is allowed to leave. That is the common theme that everyone has in their post. At the end of the day, it comes down to the GM of this organization and his vision and execution.

I see no vision from Colbert and therefore, no execution. Well he better have both in two weeks.

TarlsQtr
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
The general consensus is that everyone seems annoyed on how the young talent is allowed to leave. That is the common theme that everyone has in their post. At the end of the day, it comes down to the GM of this organization and his vision and execution.

I see no vision from Colbert and therefore, no execution. Well he better have both in two weeks.

The above says it all (not in a good way). In one thread, Colbert cannot draft anyone but bums. in another, he "allows" (apparently, football players are expected to be chattel) all of this "young talent" he never drafts to leave. You cannot have it both ways people.

And this has been the Steelers model since long before Colbert, in fact, since the salary cap started. It works great when you draft well because even though young talent leaves, it is replaced by even younger (and cheaper) talent. An NFL player's second contract is usually the largest because A) they are still young and in their prime and B) they have proven their worth on the field. There are just too many of these guys to sign them all.

TarlsQtr
04-11-2013, 11:44 AM
And let's look at some of the "young talent" that we never sign. These are all players that signed their second contract with the team.

Ben-People generally happy with
AB-Most happy with the signing last year but now everyone is down on him
Heath-Thrilled
Troy-Thrilled at the time, now everyone complains
Clark-Third contract as an FA but was still "young talent." Now, everyone thinks he sucks (which I do not get)
Smith
The Beard
Hampton-A Pro-Bowler they kept (again, I am talking about his younger years)
Woodley-One everyone would have been b!tching about if he got away but now everyone complains
Harrison
Timmons
Ike
Farrior (a FA but "young talent" at the time)
Bettis-(trade, but "young talent" at the time)

These are just a few people we kept or obtained when they were fairly young. Obviously, not all by Colbert. But the notion that we do not keep/get "young talent" is absurd.

K Train
04-11-2013, 11:45 AM
And let's look at some of the "young talent" that we never sign. These are all players that signed their second contract with the team.

Ben-People generally happy with
AB-Most happy with the signing last year but now everyone is down on him
Heath-Thrilled
Troy-Thrilled at the time, now everyone complains
Clark-Third contract as an FA but was still "young talent." Now, everyone thinks he sucks (which I do not get)
Smith
The Beard
Hampton-A Pro-Bowler they kept (again, I am talking about his younger years)
Woodley-One everyone would have been b!tching about if he got away but now everyone complains
Harrison
Timmons
Ike
Farrior (a FA but "young talent" at the time)
Bettis-(trade, but "young talent" at the time)

These are just a few people we kept or obtained when they were fairly young. Obviously, not all by Colbert. But the notion that we do not keep/get "young talent" is absurd.
**** just got real

steelchamp204
04-11-2013, 01:41 PM

The point is, this guy might only need a fresh start with a good coach and good veteran players around him. He didnt cost that much money to take a gamble on for only 1 YEAR. We need depth at the MLB position unless they have that much faith is Sly. Not signing Keenan Lewis this season was a smack in the face. When he was doing very well people here said we needed to sign him, yet when he went to NO, some said, well we didnt see it for a full season. Yet we have comfindence in Cortez Allen due to the fact that his past 2 interceptions were lucky as hell.

Yet, we are all on the Steve Breaston wagon. Who has 9 tds in 6 seasons.

K Train
05-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Mcclain just retired

chisteeler
05-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Mcclain just retired
Just read about this also. There wasn't any specific reason given. Anyone heard any reason why? Legal troubles?

cmerrifield
05-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Man, Colbert has no idea what he is doing. He should have signed McClain. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

steelers75
05-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Man, Colbert has no idea what he is doing. He should have signed McClain. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I know, right?

Real Deal Steel
05-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Good to see a strike against the Raven. hehehehe

connecticutsteel
05-15-2013, 05:07 PM
the reason is he never wanted to play in the first place just like the fatso from LSU J. RUSSEL