PDA

View Full Version : Steeler Oline 2013/14

Blitzburghpete
04-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Hey guys and gals.

One area i think needs more work than the others is our O line.

I'm not sold on Adam's at LT,

My oline for 2013 would be

LT Gilbert, LG Pouncy C Legursky RG D Castro RT Beachum

Reason i've gone this way is because they say our run game will convert to a zone blocking scheme and for that we'll require a mobile line. Pouncy D Castro at guards give us that and if we sign bradshaw at RB, that would be a great fit for that scheme.

How do you guys feel about our line ?

Reg3835
04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Hey guys and gals.

One area i think needs more work than the others is our O line.

I'm not sold on Adam's at LT,

My oline for 2013 would be

LT Gilbert, LG Pouncy C Legursky RG D Castro RT Beachum

Reason i've gone this way is because they say our run game will convert to a zone blocking scheme and for that we'll require a mobile line. Pouncy D Castro at guards give us that and if we sign bradshaw at RB, that would be a great fit for that scheme.

How do you guys feel about our line ?

Your purposed OL is.....Horrible.

Blitzburghpete
04-02-2013, 02:00 PM
LOL - best i can make of it at the mo pre draft.

What would you have ?

Reg3835
04-02-2013, 02:15 PM
As of today it will be:

LT Gilbert, LG Foster, C Pouncey, RG DeCastro, RT Adams

Backups Beachum, John Malecki. Legursky isn't even on the team, he is a FA.

I hope they draft either Cooper or Warmack to be the starter at LG, moving Foster to a backup role. With Beachum and Foster on the bench, they 2 players that can play either guard and RT. All they would need is a swing tackle. Maybe Starks, if he doesn't get much love in free agency.

Johnathon Cooper hopefully will still be there at pick 17. If not Chance Warmack ain't a bad consolation prize.

Blitzburghpete
04-02-2013, 02:18 PM
How mobile is Foster at Guard ? I keep hearing we're going to a zone blocking scheme much like the Broncos use ?

I thought of Foster as more a power guard than a mobile one ?

PLus i don't rate adams as a starter. Do you think he played well enough last year to warrant a starting position this ?

My mistake about Legursky, but although he won't set the world on fire would be good for us to pick him up again as he's good cover for C/G. I personally think he plays Centre better.

Real Deal Steel
04-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Is it official that we are going to the zone blocking scheme?

BubbyBlister
04-02-2013, 02:38 PM
As of today it will be:

LT Gilbert, LG Foster, C Pouncey, RG DeCastro, RT Adams

Backups Beachum, John Malecki. Legursky isn't even on the team, he is a FA.

I hope they draft either Cooper or Warmack to be the starter at LG, moving Foster to a backup role. With Beachum and Foster on the bench, they 2 players that can play either guard and RT. All they would need is a swing tackle. Maybe Starks, if he doesn't get much love in free agency.

Johnathon Cooper hopefully will still be there at pick 17. If not Chance Warmack ain't a bad consolation prize. This is what I'm hoping for.

Danger DANJ
04-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Are you kidding with Doug Legursky? Only reason he was on the team was because he could play multiple positions on the line. He has been absolutely horrible as a center. He was literally a turnstile getting blown back on almost every play. No thank you.

Either Pouncey starts at center or the Steelers draft another center so Pouncey can move to guard.

BubbyBlister
How mobile is Foster at Guard ? I keep hearing we're going to a zone blocking scheme much like the Broncos use ?

I thought of Foster as more a power guard than a mobile one ?

PLus i don't rate adams as a starter. Do you think he played well enough last year to warrant a starting position this ?

My mistake about Legursky, but although he won't set the world on fire would be good for us to pick him up again as he's good cover for C/G. I personally think he plays Centre better. I agree about Legursky and worth picking back up for cheap.

Blitzburghpete
Is it official that we are going to the zone blocking scheme?

I saw it on NFL.com but no not official. It's to do with Todd Haley. Aparently he's all for a zone blocking scheme running game. Signing a back like A Bradshaw would fit that perfectly. Also as per my line in the OP having D Castro and Puncy and guard would fit that scheme better too.

Obviously it's speculation at this point.

BubbyBlister
04-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Are you kidding with Doug Legursky? Only reason he was on the team was because he could play multiple positions on the line. He has been absolutely horrible as a center. He was literally a turnstile getting blown back on almost every play. No thank you.

Either Pouncey starts at center or the Steelers draft another center so Pouncey can move to guard. I disagree about Legursky but yes Pouncey should stay at center and draft a guard hopefully in the 1st.

JensK
04-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Adams was dominant when healthy with very limited experience. Especially in the run game. he had issues with passprotection, but that was to be expected; it takes time to develop that. i think he'll be a stud! Might want to have him play RT for another year though.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
The only way Adams gets better is by playing.....You don't draft Adams in the 2nd round for him to ride the pine....

K Train
04-02-2013, 04:49 PM
not having adams in the lineup someone on either side would be a travesty. Hes so damn athletic and such a dominant run blocker a ZBS will be cake for him to thrive in. Theres much more question around gilbert and gilbert ceiling, Adams ability puts his potential through the roof

and legursky is terrible

Best line we could have would include a draft pick

if we use a first:

Gilbert/Starks, Warmack/Cooper, Pouncey, Decastro, Adams

if we use a second:

Gilbert/Starks, Pouncey, Barrett Jones, Decastro, Adams

if we use a 3rd:

Gilbert/Starks, Pouncey, Schwenke, Decastro, Adams

If we roll with what we got:

Gilbert/Starks, Beachem/Foster, Pouncey, Decastro, Adams

Zachintosh66
04-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Honestly... if Beachum or Legs (who technically isnt even on the roster right now) is on the field... were in deep ****.

Id they arent sold on Adams, Starks will be brought back (i hope).
But didnt they state Gilbert was going to LT?

Gilbert, Foster, Pouncey, Decastro, Adams isnt a bad lineup... especially some of the jokers weve had playing OL since Super Bowl XL.

With the addition of any of the following: Coop, Warmack, Johnson, Thomas, Long, Pugh or Quessenberry. We could be on the verge of one of the best in the league!

K Train
04-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Adams is gonna surprise some people

ChucktownSteeler
04-02-2013, 06:35 PM
not having adams in the lineup someone on either side would be a travesty. Hes so damn athletic and such a dominant run blocker a ZBS will be cake for him to thrive in. Theres much more question around gilbert and gilbert ceiling, Adams ability puts his potential through the roof

and legursky is terrible

Best line we could have would include a draft pick

if we use a first:

Gilbert/Starks, Warmack/Cooper, Pouncey, Decastro, Adams

if we use a second:

Gilbert/Starks, Pouncey, Barrett Jones, Decastro, Adams

if we use a 3rd:

Gilbert/Starks, Pouncey, Schwenke, Decastro, Adams

If we roll with what we got:

Gilbert/Starks, Beachem/Foster, Pouncey, Decastro, Adams

Actually I like these options.

coldrolled
04-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Actually I like these options.

Im all in on those.. i really like the schwenke setup... Then two great O weapon picks 1st and 2nd.

LatrobePA
04-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Lets hope Gilbert doesn't start if so the rest of the line will be on IR by week three from his big *** rolling them up!

Big T
04-03-2013, 02:10 AM
At this point I like Gilbert at LT with Adams at RT. Adams is just so dominant in the run game. I agree that he's going to surprise people. Gilbert on the other hand was the 13th rated tackle (out of both LTs and RTs) in terms of Pass Protection in 2011, his rookie year, according to ProFootballFocus. He's a better pass protector than run blocker for sure. There are definitely some questions about him, but I still like him a lot. I'm very confident that if healthy, this line will be exciting to watch (not normally something said about an offensive line lol).

Blitzburghpete
04-03-2013, 04:53 AM
getting some interesting views fella's enjoying this.

I watched Adams in the pre season and against Philly he was appalling, so in my mind at least he's gotton off to a bad start. As i have NFL.com season pass i can go watch any of last years games in full.

What game did Adams play well in so i can go take a look ? Persoannly every time i saw him he was going backwards and appeared timid! I also think Beachum did a fantastic job at RT last year late and shored that side of the line up when we needed someone to step up. Hasn't he got a shot at a starting tackle position ?

As for Starks, i'd love to see him back but isn't he a FA as well ?

ChucktownSteeler
04-03-2013, 08:07 AM
I think Adams is going to be a main stay for a long time. Adams was from OSU which graduates late causing their players to miss some of training camp. NFL rules stipulate the players can't arrive in camp until their class graduates. Even so, he was a rookie and I would cut him a little slack in his first preseason games.

I think he is a star in the making for us.

greg1964
04-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Adam did well at RT for a four games: before injury cut short his season: The Steelers plans in 2011 was to have Gilbert at LT for the 2012 season, but when Adam fell, they through that Gilbert would man the RT position while Adam manned the LT position. BUT since Adam struggled at LT last year will being servicable at RT. And Gilbert played weel at RT in 2011 and was drafted to play LT. The question isn't if Adam/Gilbert are your starting tackles for 2013, but which position (LT/RT) will they play.

K Train
04-03-2013, 09:23 AM
getting some interesting views fella's enjoying this.

I watched Adams in the pre season and against Philly he was appalling, so in my mind at least he's gotton off to a bad start. As i have NFL.com season pass i can go watch any of last years games in full.

What game did Adams play well in so i can go take a look ? Persoannly every time i saw him he was going backwards and appeared timid! I also think Beachum did a fantastic job at RT last year late and shored that side of the line up when we needed someone to step up. Hasn't he got a shot at a starting tackle position ?

As for Starks, i'd love to see him back but isn't he a FA as well ?

the eagles was his first game, ever lol

He was absolutely crushing in the run game...athletically he looks like a LT, but youd never know it seeing him run down the field run blocking his *** off. He still has LT potential, he has excellent speed and is able to mirror defenders with ease, his problem lies in his initial punch as a pass blocker, his feet are tremendous which is the biggest attribute, the punch can be taught...the feet not so much. He was blocking guys and then they were still getting around him, once he learns to stone wall them he will be a much mor effective pass blocker. I dont know the specific games to watch off the top of my head, but when you watch him run block from RT its a thing of beauty...id say he'll be a better run blocker than colon and flozell were for us, and they are primarily run blocking guys.

Beachem did ok, i think he has a future on the team...possibly at guard but we'll have to see what steps hes taken this year

Nolrog
04-03-2013, 10:16 AM
OL is the least of the Steeler problems. The skill positions, on the other hand, are in desperate need of upgrades.

coldrolled
04-03-2013, 10:22 AM
OL is the least of the Steeler problems. The skill positions, on the other hand, are in desperate need of upgrades.

Lets see Ben's Needs?

Tall Young WR...
Taller Young WR...
Awesome TE...
Awesome RB to go with Dwyer.
FB he has.. WJohnson is good.
Time in the Pocket.. Like 2 extra seconds.....

connecticutsteel
04-03-2013, 10:57 AM
I think you draft eifert or cooper at 17 if they are gone take barrett jones

K Train
04-03-2013, 11:01 AM
i dont get the insane man love you have for eifert, hes good but hes not 17 overall good

Real Deal Steel
04-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Exactly. It is absolutely insane to be taking a TE at # 17. Stupid even to talk about.

coldrolled
04-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I think you draft eifert or cooper at 17 if they are gone take barrett jones

Two Starters... Nice..

Who else would start?? Allen, Patterson if he finds the city?

Lacy? Do we really need him?

Ogletree would start he would destroy Foote.

K Train
04-03-2013, 11:59 AM
You love ogletree too, he is a HORRIBLE fit. Takes some of the worst angles, is very clumsy in traffic, and is absolutely worthless when a blocker gets one hand on him. He is literally the anti 34 MLB

I wouldnt hate eifert, but it would be very dependent on who was on the board at 17 when they pick him..i imagine id be pissed about passing on someone. He would be an immediate impact, but theres better players at more premium positions.

coldrolled
04-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Exactly. It is absolutely insane to be taking a TE at # 17. Stupid even to talk about.

So whos your main pick??

Actually a pick with an 80 percent chance of being there at #17

Blitzburghpete
04-03-2013, 12:23 PM

yeah but as we all know a great oline makes all those players in the skills positions much better.

I refer to Timmy Smith RB of the redskins. We all know give any half decent qb time in the pocket he can pick any defence apart even with average receivers.

The core of the offence starts with a good line. We need to get that right before looking at skill positions IMO

TarlsQtr
04-03-2013, 12:31 PM
the eagles was his first game, ever lol

He was absolutely crushing in the run game...athletically he looks like a LT, but youd never know it seeing him run down the field run blocking his *** off. He still has LT potential, he has excellent speed and is able to mirror defenders with ease, his problem lies in his initial punch as a pass blocker, his feet are tremendous which is the biggest attribute, the punch can be taught...the feet not so much. He was blocking guys and then they were still getting around him, once he learns to stone wall them he will be a much mor effective pass blocker. I dont know the specific games to watch off the top of my head, but when you watch him run block from RT its a thing of beauty...id say he'll be a better run blocker than colon and flozell were for us, and they are primarily run blocking guys.

Beachem did ok, i think he has a future on the team...possibly at guard but we'll have to see what steps hes taken this year

it was no coincidence that the stretch when we had the 100 yard rushers came when Adams was playing.

Zachintosh66
04-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Ogleetree is an immature punk. He will end up somewhere like dallas or cinci etc.

Are we drafting to start and play now? Or for the future?

In the future:
Foote
Clark
Troy
Keisel

Will all be major needs within a year or 2...

Yes we need skill players, but i forsee them signing a FA RB and not drafting one. IMO a tall WR is overrated. There are only a handfull of player on offense in the draft who can come in and start. And if Sanders stays that list gets even smaller. If Sanders is here next year, no rookie WR in the draft will beat him out. None.

IMO our biggest need hands down is saftey.

K Train
04-03-2013, 12:37 PM
i dont necessarily want "tall", but definitely bigger than what we have

You ask 5 steeler fans what the biggest need is you get 5 answers....thats never really been the case before. Some say WR, RB, OLB, MLB, TE, FS, SS...then to a lesser extent CB, LG, QB

Youd think this team is falling a part...thats just not the case

Blitzburghpete
04-03-2013, 12:43 PM

You ask 5 steeler fans what the biggest need is you get 5 answers....thats never really been the case before. Some say WR, RB, OLB, MLB, TE, FS, SS...then to a lesser extent CB, LG, QB

LOL that's a good point :)

Still think we need to shore up the Oline first before anything else. The rest falls into place with solid OLine as per my previous post

TarlsQtr
04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
i dont necessarily want "tall", but definitely bigger than what we have

Youd think this team is falling a part...thats just not the case

Not falling apart for sure, as there is an extreme "Henny Penny" syndrome going on here.

However, I do believe we have more (I do not want to use the word "holes") weaknesses or question marks than most years.

No depth at safety but if Troy and Clark remain healthy we are fine.

Could use a number one WR, but Brown, Sanders (if he remains), et al. will be good enough to be competitive.

We are fine at TE if Heath comes back by midseason in decent form.

OLB needs depth but it all depends on whether Worilds plays well.

RB would be OK if we sign a FA like Bradshaw and he stays healthy.

If all of those "ifs" break in our favor, we are a strong playoff team. If they do not...

Zachintosh66
04-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Could use a number one WR, but Brown, Sanders (if he remains), et al. will be good enough to be competitive..

Watch If sanders is here he will out produce AB... and im a AB homer. Weve yet to see what Sanders can do.

K Train
04-03-2013, 12:59 PM
I they took Cooper or Warmack with the first pick they could go several ways with picks 2 and 3..i could go on all day on different scenerios but basically lets say we take a guard in the first round and cap off the oline project

Round 2:

J. Hunter
D. Amerson
G. Bernard
E. Lacy
R. Woods
M. Hunt
J. Williams
J. Jenkins
M. Teo
K. Minter
A. Okafor
C. Lemonier
S. Thomas
M. Elam
T. Williams
Z. Ertz

Theres WRs, RBs, OLBs, MLB, S, TE, and NTs all mix in there...any would be just fin

Then Round 3:

T. Williams
C. Thomas
J. Simon
J. Franklin
L. Bell
K. Davis
T. Bray
G. Escobar
J. Reed
W. Gholston
C. Washington

Any scenerios of those would be fine with me, they are all good players....

But still...Patterson, Jones, and Mingo remain on my top wish list, followed by Jordan and Star (both likely long gone)

coldrolled
04-03-2013, 01:03 PM
I wouldnt hate eifert, but it would be very dependent on who was on the board at 17 when they pick him..i imagine id be pissed about passing on someone. He would be an immediate impact, but theres better players at more premium positions.

See i got you to admit the #1 TE is better than the #1 ILB same with picking a NOT #1 OLB.....

Do you like the idea of Patterson or Allen at #17?? Or would Lacy help more right now?

ChucktownSteeler
04-03-2013, 01:05 PM
i dont get the insane man love you have for eifert, hes good but hes not 17 overall good

This.

K Train
04-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Im not a fan of lacy at all

I can name 15 players id prefer over Eifert at 17:

Cordarelle Patterson
Jarvis Jones
Barkevious Mingo
Dion Jordan
Star Lotuleilei
Kenny Vaccaro
Xavier Rhodes
Dee Milliner
Chance Warmack
Jonathan Cooper
Ezekiel Ansah (kinda, maybe)
Justin Hunter
Keenan Allen
Bjoern Werner
Matt Elam

That is not including QBs (up to 3) DTs (Floyd and Richardson), and Tackles (Joekel, FIsher, Johnson, Fluker)

Id be shocked if all 24 of them were gone before pick 17

BlitzburghRockCity
04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Not that I'm extremely confident but any Tackle currently on the roster right now, but I think I'm more comfortable with Adams than I am Gilbert. In the action that Adams did see last year you could see flashes of what he can do. Yeah he got man handled in pass protection at times, or just completely whiffed on the block but he also showed me that he can learn if given time to develop and of course if he can stay healthy.

Gilbert, for being a 2nd round pick, when he wasn't hurt he seemed to just not have the quick feet needed to play Tackle and also routinely got blown off the line.

The Rooney's invested a lot of money and high draft picks in both of these guys over the last couple of years, they have got to pan out, there's no two ways about it. If they don't it's a serious blow and wasted money.

Beachum is a scrapper, for a 7th rounder he showed some serious tenacity and ability to adapt. Is he the future instead of Gilbert? Who knows but we better see these guys stay healthy first off, and 2nd show big time improvement in 2013.

coldrolled
04-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Im not a fan of lacy at all

I can name 15 players id prefer over Eifert at 17:

Cordarelle Patterson
Jarvis Jones
Barkevious Mingo
Dion Jordan
Star Lotuleilei
Kenny Vaccaro
Xavier Rhodes
Dee Milliner
Chance Warmack
Jonathan Cooper
Ezekiel Ansah (kinda, maybe)
Justin Hunter
Keenan Allen
Bjoern Werner
Matt Elam

That is not including QBs (up to 3) DTs (Floyd and Richardson), and Tackles (Joekel, FIsher, Johnson, Fluker)

Im still stuck on moving the chains and getting Ben setup...
So Warmack, Cooper, Patterson, Allen or Eifert for me would be fine...

Big T
04-03-2013, 02:26 PM

Lololol

JackLambert
04-04-2013, 03:59 PM
I want Starks back.

And, please no, to a TE before the 4th round. This team has major needs all over the place.

coldrolled
04-04-2013, 04:14 PM
I want Starks back.

And, please no, to a TE before the 4th round. This team has major needs all over the place.

Like no starting TE..

JackLambert
04-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Like no starting TE..

The TE situation is better than other, more important positions.

Blitzburghpete
04-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Like no starting TE..

What is the latest sitution on Heath Miller ??? Obviously if he's fit he's starting day one, but when is he due back on the practice field ?

coldrolled
04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
What is the latest sitution on Heath Miller ??? Obviously if he's fit he's starting day one, but when is he due back on the practice field ?

He tore two tendons in december almost in january... add 10 months for quick recovery at age 31 and were does that place him... November Probably...

Blitzburghpete
04-05-2013, 01:52 PM
He tore two tendons in december almost in january... add 10 months for quick recovery at age 31 and were does that place him... November Probably...

Oh dear.... oh dear indeed...

Matt Speath FTW :)

SuperSteelers
04-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Does anyone have a clue on how this team will be able to score points this season? No starting RB, no starting TE, no deep threat WR. The line of scrimmage is going to be very crowded this season unless a scoring threat emerges.

Nolrog
04-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Does anyone have a clue on how this team will be able to score points this season? No starting RB, no starting TE, no deep threat WR. The line of scrimmage is going to be very crowded this season unless a scoring threat emerges.

That's absolutely the question. We need skill positions, not more offensive linemen and not a back up QB. We're going to see an offensive heavy draft I think, with a TE and WR drafted high.

BubbyBlister
04-06-2013, 07:06 PM
That's absolutely the question. We need skill positions, not more offensive linemen and not a back up QB. We're going to see an offensive heavy draft I think, with a TE and WR drafted high. Why can't we do both and make it a offense heavy draft ? 1st G, 2nd TE, 3rd RB 4th WR. Then focus on Defense the next draft.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Why can't we do both and make it a offense heavy draft ? 1st G, 2nd TE, 3rd RB 4th WR. Then focus on Defense the next draft.

Think they will have to address the WR position earlier then the 4th round...Can't keep thinking they're going to hit home runs in the later rounds with WR's.........Wallace in the third and Brown in the 6th in recent years.....

Really WR, TE, RB, WR should be their first four picks..........But that won't happen.....

ChucktownSteeler
04-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Any ideas who will be at LB and backing up the oft injured Troy and Ryan Clark at safety? At LB we have Worilds, Foote, Woodley, and Timmons. Backups include Johnson and Sylvestor. Safeties include the aforementioned oft injured Troy, Clark, and Golden. Mundy and Will Allen bolted. We also have Ike, Cortez Allen, and Gay at Safety. Yoi, where's the aspirin?

K Train
04-06-2013, 08:41 PM
i dont get where people think that sanders and brown cant go deep, they have some speed on them

Any ideas who will be at LB and backing up the oft injured Troy and Ryan Clark at safety? At LB we have Worilds, Foote, Woodley, and Timmons. Backups include Johnson and Sylvestor. Safeties include the aforementioned oft injured Troy, Clark, and Golden. Mundy and Will Allen bolted. We also have Ike, Cortez Allen, and Gay at Safety. Yoi, where's the aspirin?
Chris Carter and Adrian Robinson at OLB, i actually like robinson a lot

brandon johnson isnt a bad backup LB either, and spence might be fully recovered...i imagine both safety and LB will be addressed in the draft at least from a depth perspective

coldrolled
04-06-2013, 10:05 PM
i dont get where people think that sanders and brown cant go deep, they have some speed on them

brandon johnson isnt a bad backup LB either, and spence might be fully recovered...i imagine both safety and LB will be addressed in the draft at least from a depth perspective

Did you read something on Spence?

polamalu43
04-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Adrian Robinson is my sleeper......I see him being a stud in a few years. It is hard to predict what we are going to do but TODAY this is my thought. R1 LB, R2 WR, R3 S, R4 RB......who knows as I want about 10 guys in the first 2 rounds. I just hope we get 2 of them. I'll be ticked if they surprise us with a QB pick this year, or an early OL pick.

Nolrog
04-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Why can't we do both and make it a offense heavy draft ? 1st G, 2nd TE, 3rd RB 4th WR. Then focus on Defense the next draft.

Well, first of all, we don't need a guard high in the draft, we need depth on the OL (mid-to-late rounds) and skill positions.

Plus, the defense cannot be completely ignored - Foote is decent but not great, Worilds is unknown, Clark, Troy, Ike and The Beard all only have a couple years left, so we need replacements for those positions now so that they can start in 2-3 years.

Nolrog
04-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Did you read something on Spence?

Nerve damage behind his knee; could potentially end his career.

Blitzburghpete
04-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Well, first of all, we don't need a guard high in the draft, we need depth on the OL (mid-to-late rounds) and skill positions.

Plus, the defense cannot be completely ignored - Foote is decent but not great, Worilds is unknown, Clark, Troy, Ike and The Beard all only have a couple years left, so we need replacements for those positions now so that they can start in 2-3 years.

Aren't Cam Heyward and Ziggy hood meant to be coming through and repalceing the Beard though ? We need them to step up

steelchamp204
04-07-2013, 01:18 PM
I was saying most of last season that we need o draft a C and move Pouncey to G. I think Pouncey at G would be great than him at center. Not saying he sucks at center. I just think he can be better as guard.

FlatsSteeler
04-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I have said from the day they drafted Pouncey he was a better Guard than Center, actually I am not impressed with the oft injured center his brother Mike is a better Center.......Go back a few games and really watch his play from the Shotgun his snaps are all over the place causing a distraction for the QB, he is quick so at the LG position his speed would be utilized......As for the a GUARANTEE....The Steelers will not pick a OL man in the 1st 4 rounds of the 2013 Draft......The Rooneys and Tomlin are happy with what they currently have......from L to R....Gilbert...Foster...Pouncey...DeCastro...Adams ....I also think Adams and DeCastro will both be studs very soon.......

steelchamp204
04-07-2013, 02:39 PM
I have said from the day they drafted Pouncey he was a better Guard than Center, actually I am not impressed with the oft injured center his brother Mike is a better Center.......Go back a few games and really watch his play from the Shotgun his snaps are all over the place causing a distraction for the QB, he is quick so at the LG position his speed would be utilized......As for the a GUARANTEE....The Steelers will not pick a OL man in the 1st 4 rounds of the 2013 Draft......The Rooneys and Tomlin are happy with what they currently have......from L to R....Gilbert...Foster...Pouncey...DeCastro...Adams ....I also think Adams and DeCastro will both be studs very soon.......

Agree, I'd say Pouncey had a down year, which he still played good, just not as great as I think he would think also. I think wth the mig shift lines all the time hasnt given pouncey the time to get into his own rythm. at Center.I dont think we go Oline until the 3rd 4th round anyway. We have to many needs as of now than another offensive linemen. Adams is a real lengthy guy to which will contribute to him growing into the Tackle position. Adams/Decastro have som much potential to lock down the right side of the line fr years to come.

BubbyBlister
04-07-2013, 05:35 PM

Plus, the defense cannot be completely ignored - Foote is decent but not great, Worilds is unknown, Clark, Troy, Ike and The Beard all only have a couple years left, so we need replacements for those positions now so that they can start in 2-3 years. I'm not saying completely ignore defense but not till the later rounds. Go defense heavy next year in the early rds and start those guys from day one. We need to get the offense fixed now and the defense will still be decent for the next two seasons.

BubbyBlister
04-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Also some posters on here have to much faith in Adams. He may turn out to be good and looked okay on run blocking but to me he look down right awful at times in pass protection. If he doesn't get better at that quick Ben might not make it through the first Raven game. Better draft Bray!

SuperSteelers
04-07-2013, 09:28 PM

I'm not saying they can't go deep. I'm saying they don't scare any teams with their deep threat abilities. Just double cover brown or put your best CB on him and call it a day. Crowd the line of scrimmage and have your way with Ben and the RBs. We have already seen Haley's offense schemes and we all know it doesn't score points.

K Train
04-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Also some posters on here have to much faith in Adams. He may turn out to be good and looked okay on run blocking but to me he look down right awful at times in pass protection. If he doesn't get better at that quick Ben might not make it through the first Raven game. Better draft Bray!
i wasnt expecting him to be jonathan odgen day one....but hes going to be better than starks as a pro, and starks is pretty damn solid. He is a dominating run blocker, but hes so athletic and can mirror defenders so well and has such a smooth kick out from his stance...he needs to work on some technique, including his punch but that can come with coaching. Also, if they do move to a ZBS he will be brilliant

I'm not saying they can't go deep. I'm saying they don't scare any teams with their deep threat abilities. Just double cover brown or put your best CB on him and call it a day. Crowd the line of scrimmage and have your way with Ben and the RBs. We have already seen Haley's offense schemes and we all know it doesn't score points.
ben had a 17-4 TD:int ration before he got hurt, he had no run game to rely on but the pass game was thriving and thats with wallace playing unmotivated and sanders and brown good for a fumble a game

WR and RB are such great needs, but seriously one of each and a QB with a new offense a year under his belt the offense will without a doubt improve

Real Deal Steel
04-08-2013, 02:10 AM
I have to agree with K-Train on these analysis. Ben is past the point of bitching about the offense now so he should be way more proficient in his second year in it. And, we can't give up on Adams now. Just because he wasn't all-world his rookie year is no reason to label him a bust. We've got to go with our young guys..we just have to. The big question is will the FO go o-line if Warmack of Johnson is on the board. My guess is no.

I think they go Center in the 3rd or 4th round and kick Pouncey over to guard. Just a guess.

ChucktownSteeler
04-08-2013, 08:21 AM
I also believe Pouncey will be moved to guard, if a quality Center can be drafted.

coldrolled
04-08-2013, 11:35 AM
I think odds are hi Schwenke, BJones or Frederick will be a Steeler.

LatrobePA
04-08-2013, 11:48 AM
The line we have in camp will be diff come season, then after week 3 diff again due to injuries. The odds are stacked against any starting o-line with Ben playing. The extra 2-5 seconds extending the play kills this line every year. It's not a knock on Ben it's just going to be that way so we need to stock pile linemen!

SuperSteelers
04-08-2013, 12:20 PM
i wasnt expecting him to be jonathan odgen day one....but hes going to be better than starks as a pro, and starks is pretty damn solid. He is a dominating run blocker, but hes so athletic and can mirror defenders so well and has such a smooth kick out from his stance...he needs to work on some technique, including his punch but that can come with coaching. Also, if they do move to a ZBS he will be brilliant

ben had a 17-4 TD:int ration before he got hurt, he had no run game to rely on but the pass game was thriving and thats with wallace playing unmotivated and sanders and brown good for a fumble a game

WR and RB are such great needs, but seriously one of each and a QB with a new offense a year under his belt the offense will without a doubt improve

Until the Steelers find those weapons from FA or through the draft then opposing defenses don't need to spread the field. No TE to worry about, no deep threat to worry about, and no RBs that can take it the distance on any one carry to worry about. I hope I'm wrong but just don't see it happening this season. I believe the offense and defense both have taken backward steps this season. It's going to be a loooooong season for sure watching this team find their identity.

LatrobePA
04-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Until the Steelers find those weapons from FA or through the draft then opposing defenses don't need to spread the field. No TE to worry about, no deep threat to worry about, and no RBs that can take it the distance on any one carry to worry about. I hope I'm wrong but just don't see it happening this season. I believe the offense and defense both have taken backward steps this season. It's going to be a loooooong season for sure watching this team find their identity.

I see a below 500 team this year for sure... The current brass has no fn idea what they're doing. Tomlin is slowly but surely losing all of Bill's players and his drafts haven't amounted to nothing... Gonna be a long *** season for sure!

coldrolled
04-08-2013, 12:31 PM
his drafts rarely play... could be an issue..

LatrobePA
04-08-2013, 12:45 PM
his drafts rarely play... could be an issue..

Is an issue and the ones that amounted to anything or could of left, not traded, but allowed to walk free of charge! Watch Mendy will explode and have a huge year this season...

FlatsSteeler
04-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Is an issue and the ones that amounted to anything or could of left, not traded, but allowed to walk free of charge! Watch Mendy will explode and have a huge year this season...

I agree about Mendy......totally mishandled by tomlin......2 losing seasons in a row it will be bye bye tomlin.......cant happen too soon.......the guy is "all wind and no rain"

Blitzburghpete
10-03-2013, 03:40 PM
So way back in Feb when i started this thread i said i'm not sold on adams at Lt...

Seeing as we now have traded for Levi Brown, and i rated Beecham,, can i say, i told you so :) LOL

TarlsQtr
10-03-2013, 04:01 PM

Mendy has been horrible in AZ.

TheTittsburghFeelers
10-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Going through this thread and reading the posts is comical. I can't stop smiling seeing statements like not playing Adams would be a "travesty" and his amazing athleticism. If by athleticism you mean almost falling over when shuffling to the left only to see Jared Allen waving on the way by, then you are spot on. I've watched the game 3 times and have never seen a lineman look so uncoordinated and pathetic.

Blitzburghpete
10-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Going through this thread and reading the posts is comical. I can't stop smiling seeing statements like not playing Adams would be a "travesty" and his amazing athleticism. If by athleticism you mean almost falling over when shuffling to the left only to see Jared Allen waving on the way by, then you are spot on. I've watched the game 3 times and have never seen a lineman look so uncoordinated and pathetic.

agreed..

watching the vikings game, Adams let a LB ( greenway i think ) hit him, then fell off him and just let him go inside to sack Ben.

I mean Adams is supposed to be a Monster LT. He half heartedly put his shoulder into blocking the LB, and hit him with his shoulder. There was no drive, no power, in short naff all resistance to slow the rush.

I think what i see in Adams is a player who's been coached too much in so much that he obviously wants to get out his stance quick, shuffle back and all that, but just flat out doesn't seem to want to change the direction, engage a little or stop the defenders rush up the field. Jared Allens slap down of Adams hands for Allens first sack just made him look pathetic. I mean all Allen had to do was get Adams hands down and that was it. He didn't even have to push adams. Heck even i would fancy my chances 1 on 1 with him for crying out loud! LOL

K Train
10-03-2013, 04:37 PM
He is really struggling on the left side, he needs to go back to the right which is where he played the best last season.

Still too early to write him off, he still has played less than a full season. The technical part of his game just isnt there enough to play LT, he looks lost on that side. Maybe hes a career RT, maybe playing him at guard would hide his weaknesses....still only 4 games into learning an entirely new scheme, I wish spaeth was out there running it too i think the oline would look a whole lot more in sync

Giving up on him would be the wrong way of doing things, moving him to the right side is probably a step in the right direction so ben doesnt die

TheTittsburghFeelers
10-03-2013, 05:24 PM
I want a LT that is either technically sound or gets nasty. I understand not every team can have a Joe Thomas, but I, at minimum, want someone that is going to find it unacceptable to let the DE have a full go at Ben every other play. Starks atleast showed me that he was trying to protect his QB at all costs, that's why Ben loved him. Ben doesn't trust anyone right now at that position and that is a huge issue. Dumervil and Suggs are both praying that Adams is on their side in a few weeks. I also love the way Velasco plays like many of you have said, his effort is outstanding.

K Train
10-03-2013, 05:34 PM
i think velasco should have a future on the team, i really think pouncey is a great player and hes been getting a lot of hate around here but at center he is thin in the lower body and just doesnt anchor as well as youd want for the position, but for a guard he can move at an absolute top tier level.

Pouncey, Velasco, and Decastro is an interior to be excited about.

Adams is a nasty player, especially in the run game, it looks like he wants to kill guys in the run game...hes athletic enough to play LT but his awareness, technique, and instincts seem to be lacking.

Its a strange problem but with the addition of Brown i feel like we have 1 center and like 6 guards. Not ready to thrown in the towel on adams, i think he can still be a really good player, but they need to move him, he might be a LT one day but right now hes proven he is not even if its just hes simply not ready. RT or G would mask his deficiencies and highlight his attributes

LatrobePA
10-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Mendy has been horrible in AZ.

Makes me feel better!

Dean Denton
10-03-2013, 06:50 PM
He was garbage here too, that's why he got benched and released.

ChucktownSteeler
10-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Adams has had a horrible year at LT, can't be disputed. I still would like him to watch and learn a little and get a shot at RT sometime down the road.

Rocky#20
10-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Mendy had a comical sequence last week, he fumbled but the refs wrongly ruled him down by contact. Palmer realizing it was a fumble quickly ran another play handing off to Mendenhall again and he fumbled again, this time there was no dispute about it.

Dean Denton
10-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Mendy had a comical sequence last week, he fumbled but the refs wrongly ruled him down by contact. Palmer realizing it was a fumble quickly ran another play handing off to Mendenhall again and he fumbled again, this time there was no dispute about it.pretty much did that against the browns last year, resulting in his benching then release. We wanted Revis and got stuck with mendy....confused.....

K Train
10-04-2013, 08:56 AM
pretty much did that against the browns last year, resulting in his benching then release. We wanted Revis and got stuck with mendy....confused.....

Different years, we got timmons that year. Nice try with the dramatics though lol

Blitzburghpete
10-04-2013, 01:03 PM
LOL ,, you can't get one past the K train can you :)

Nice spot bud

NeilPatrickBanana
10-04-2013, 01:19 PM
maybe we can have this next year:

Matthews-Pouncey-Velasco-Decastro-L.Brown

Draft Matthews in the 1st round
Move Pouncey to LG where he belongs
Re-Sign Velasco (a top 10-15 center)
Get Levi to restructure (he's signed for 3 more years...)

Dean Denton
10-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Different years, we got timmons that year. Nice try with the dramatics though lol you're right, mixed it up. Wanted Revis got stuck with Timmons. Who'd we want and didn't get forcing us to take mendy?

K Train
10-04-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm fully convinced it would have been mike Jenkins.

steelchamp204
10-05-2013, 01:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c9w_WvE7BY

This sums the thread up.

steelchamp204
10-05-2013, 01:53 AM

I think Adams goes to the RT position, where he will get his last chance of being a starter. I think him and Gilbert battle it out for the remainder of the season. It'd be nice seeing Pouncey at LG, but I think the staff is to stubborn to move him there.

Nolrog
10-05-2013, 11:58 PM

While I agree that the OL desperately needs work, it's hard to spend first round pick after first round pick on the OL and not suck elsewhere. They need to rebuild the line without spending a fifth first round pick on the line (3 OL, 2 DL) in the last 6 years. Other teams are able to. . . hell, the Ravens did it recently.

That pick looks like it will be fairly high, so we should be looking for a significant impact player. We're seriously lacking impact players both on offense and on defense.

Stone
10-06-2013, 09:29 AM
I saw it on NFL.com but no not official. It's to do with Todd Haley. Aparently he's all for a zone blocking scheme running game. Signing a back like A Bradshaw would fit that perfectly. Also as per my line in the OP having D Castro and Puncy and guard would fit that scheme better too.

Obviously it's speculation at this point.

Does this "zone blocking scheme" include instructions to fire off to a spot where there are no defensive players?

ChucktownSteeler
10-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Actually, that's a pretty damn good plan.

K Train
10-07-2013, 01:21 PM
i have a hard time thinking gilbert and adams have no future on the team

NeilPatrickBanana
10-07-2013, 01:23 PM

They can compete for the RT job...

coldrolled
10-07-2013, 02:43 PM
How about a quick release QB that can run faster and actually fake play action well.... with Leveon Bell and all our slot receivers.. and the OL and a new LT... and a new #1 WR we should be fine..

ChucktownSteeler
10-07-2013, 05:48 PM

In the long run I think Adams could settle in at RT. I have no faith in Gilbert.

K Train
10-07-2013, 06:13 PM
How about a quick release QB that can run faster and actually fake play action well.... with Leveon Bell and all our slot receivers.. and the OL and a new LT... and a new #1 WR we should be fine..

Cant tell if serious

coldrolled
10-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Cant tell if serious

Not Really just Pissed.

steelchamp204
10-07-2013, 09:22 PM

I think Adams can be a stud RT on this team, especially in the run game with DD on that side, it can be something to watch with Bell. He did good at RT last season, but he is horrible at LT.