PDA

View Full Version : Colbert sees pass rusher in the draft???

Real Deal Steel
03-28-2013, 12:45 AM
From CBS Sportsline.com

While the Baltimore Ravens filled their need for another pass rusher by signing veteran Elvis Dumervil over the weekend, the Pittsburgh Steelers might be targeting a rookie to help take the place of five-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison, who the team released two weeks ago in a cost-cutting move.

Reports have surfaced that the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year might be willing to return to Pittsburgh, but general manager Kevin Colbert has never been one to wait for replacement options and, judging by his appearance Monday at a private workout for Ohio State pass rusher John Simon, Harrison may have waited too long.

Colbert was the headliner among representatives from 12 teams at Simon's workout, according to a report from NFL.com's Gil Brandt.

The 6-1, 257-pound Simon starred as a defensive end for the Buckeyes but will likely have to make the transition to outside linebacker in the NFL at this size. He struggled when asked to do so in Mobile, Ala., during Senior Bowl practices before succumbing to a shoulder injury that kept him sidelined at the combine and during Ohio State's originally scheduled Pro Day, March 8.

Despite being hampered by a knee injury that limited him to just 11 games in 2012, Simon was named the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year with 44 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss and a career-high nine sacks. On more than one occasion, the high-effort Simon was characterized by Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer as the "heart and soul" of the team.

Simon demonstrated enough athleticism during his drills Monday to reassure scouts from 3-4 clubs of his ability to pressure the quarterback as a stand-up rusher. He was clocked between 4.62 and 4.70 in the 40-yard dash and posted times of 4.42 seconds in the short shuttle and 7.10 in the three-cone drill. These times are in line with some of the other intriguing "second-tier" hybrid edge rushers of the 2013 draft class, like Auburn's Corey Lemonier and Southern Mississippi's Jamie Collins, among others.

Sporting similarly compact builds, as well as burst and power, Simon and the 6-0, 242-pound Harrison have a lot of similarities in the way that they wreak havoc off the edge.

If healthy, Simon could prove to be an immediate impact defender likely to be available in the second to third round.

LatrobePA
03-28-2013, 01:10 AM
Building through the draft is awesome if your coach would actually start young defensive guys!

BubbyBlister
03-28-2013, 01:14 AM
Great the retard ran his mouth again about BS as usual.

BubbyBlister
03-28-2013, 01:17 AM
Him and Tomlin are idiots. I was for them signing Tomlin but honestly the guy proved to be a joke. End of story!

BubbyBlister
03-28-2013, 01:24 AM
As for them getting a pass rusher they already had one in Harrison and wants to come back. To bad there feelings are hurt James didn't accept there offer. Now they want nothing to do with him. What a bunch of childish people that runs this organization.

connecticutsteel
03-28-2013, 01:28 AM
WHAT HAS HARRISON DONE SINCE 2008 HE SHOULD HAVE KISSED THERE *** NOW HE HAS TOO RETIRE

BubbyBlister
03-28-2013, 01:30 AM
WHAT HAS HARRISON DONE SINCE 2008 HE SHOULD HAVE KISSED THERE *** NOW HE HAS TOO RETIRE Idiot!

BubbyBlister
03-28-2013, 02:06 AM
Idiot! My bad and don't think you are a idiot at all. I just disagree. Sorry man.

Bronko
03-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Word

K Train
03-28-2013, 09:14 AM
old news...imo simon is a lock to be a steeler, its just a question of where hes selected

Real Deal Steel
03-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Love your confidence on this one K.

coldrolled
03-28-2013, 02:14 PM
old news...imo simon is a lock to be a steeler, its just a question of where hes selected

31 other teams change the board pretty fast on draft day.... simon would be a 4th rounder???

ice cream glove
03-28-2013, 02:19 PM
As for them getting a pass rusher they already had one in Harrison and wants to come back. To bad there feelings are hurt James didn't accept there offer. Now they want nothing to do with him. What a bunch of childish people that runs this organization.

I agree. It's pathetic. A bunch of babies who throw tantrums if you dare have opinions that are not shared. I have seen these types over and over and they are all the same.

jpele
03-28-2013, 02:33 PM
I agree. It's pathetic. A bunch of babies who throw tantrums if you dare have opinions that are not shared. I have seen these types over and over and they are all the same.

Who's throwing tantrums and who's crying other than a couple of Steeler fans. Harrison knew the situation and had other plans, they didn't work out now he wants to return but has nothing to offer.

As they say " sucks to be him" .
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

LatrobePA
03-28-2013, 02:43 PM

Great another troll!

steelers75
03-28-2013, 02:48 PM

Yeah, that's it alright. Jesus...

BubbyBlister
03-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Who's throwing tantrums and who's crying other than a couple of Steeler fans. Harrison knew the situation and had other plans, they didn't work out now he wants to return but has nothing to offer.

As they say " sucks to be him" .
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2 They wanted to keep him a month ago when they asked him to take a pay cut. Now they can get that same pay cut deal and they don't want him. They haven't replaced his position with anyone new. So this leads me to believe there being childish.

BubbyBlister
03-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Yeah, that's it alright. Jesus... I'm not talking about the Rooney's.

LatrobePA
03-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Had Harrison not ran to the Ravens begging to be signed there I'm betting this team would of brought him back, it's just their style too. Now he's unemployed and looking to just jump on a team!

BubbyBlister
03-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Had Harrison not ran to the Ravens begging to be signed there I'm betting this team would of brought him back, it's just their style too. Now he's unemployed and looking to just jump on a team! That's mostly true but the Steelers are still being childish not wanting him back now because of that. Can you blame James for waiting to go to another team known for there defense like Pitt ? He probably felt that was the team that he would fit in the best.

LatrobePA
03-28-2013, 03:21 PM
That's mostly true but the Steelers are still being childish not wanting him back now because of that. Can you blame James for waiting to go to another team known for there defense like Pitt ? He probably felt that was the team that he would fit in the best.

Harrison is a strange bird, who knows what his intentions were, I'd say he picked the Ravens for a couple reasons, they'll be a contender and the thought of trying to stick it to the Steelers twice a year.. Either way he's gone!

BubbyBlister
03-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Harrison is a strange bird, who knows what his intentions were, I'd say he picked the Ravens for a couple reasons, they'll be a contender and the thought of trying to stick it to the Steelers twice a year.. Either way he's gone! The bad part is there looking to address the need in the draft when we have other needs to be drafted! If they took James back They could focus on more important needs.

LatrobePA
03-28-2013, 04:07 PM
This years draft will be one of the most important in years.. They eff this one up and the team is screwed for years!

BubbyBlister
03-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Yep agreed!

SuperSteelers
03-29-2013, 01:55 AM
Colbert just running his mouth to throw off the other teams drafting ahead of the Steelers. No way would they draft a busted up prospect unless he is really a true idiot and a half.

BubbyBlister
03-29-2013, 03:34 AM
Heck I had enough of this organization trying and wanting to be mediocre. Screw the Rooney's, Tomlin and Colbert. This is BS!

LatrobePA
03-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Ozzie Newsome makes Colbert look stupid!

K Train
03-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Ozzie Newsome makes Colbert look stupid!

he is wildly overrated...hes had some very subpar drafts recently too

LatrobePA
03-29-2013, 10:35 AM
he is wildly overrated...hes had some very subpar drafts recently too

Right now who would you take? Colbert or Newsome? Here's what I see, the Ravens said F the normal of trying to keep a SB team together and went against the grain in their approach to repeating, it could back fire or it could work and make him look even more intelligent! It is a risky move but I like how he's putting the pieces back together. The Steelers are dumping players and leaving huge voids, that has me worried!

K Train
03-29-2013, 10:43 AM
they didnt really have a choice...they were keeping a contender together as long as they could and they squeaked out a miracle win against denver. I guess they could have brought reed and kruger back but kruger is a very very average player and reed has become useless against the run. He'll help houston in some ways, but he was expendable (like troy is for us)

Now they have an absurd amount of money invested in flacco, they have bryant mckinnie at LT which is equal to us brining in flozell. the signing of doom is very lucky, but again thats another investment in an older player

coldrolled
03-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Right now who would you take? Colbert or Newsome? Here's what I see, the Ravens said F the normal of trying to keep a SB team together and went against the grain in their approach to repeating, it could back fire or it could work and make him look even more intelligent! It is a risky move but I like how he's putting the pieces back together. The Steelers are dumping players and leaving huge voids, that has me worried!

the difference is newsomes draft picks play some ours sit more.

LatrobePA
03-29-2013, 10:48 AM
I guess what has me fired up is they (ravens) built their team to beat the Steelers thus winning a SB, it took them a few years but they got it. Now is the perfect time for the Steelers to take back the division!

Boldin being traded will still hurt as well as this team letting Mendy walk, yes Mendy, he was a fit in this new offense!

LatrobePA
03-29-2013, 10:49 AM
the difference is newsomes draft picks play some ours sit more.

Ours sit until they're good then we can't afford to pay them!

Real Deal Steel
03-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Hahahahahahaha.

coldrolled
03-30-2013, 08:50 AM
This is a good one... Harrison had how many sacks? woodley had how many sacks... But Woirlds wont be put up with..
Even though if you read these stats on anyone else you would be signing him quickly....

In Worilds’ short career with the Steelers, he has racked up 10 sacks and 62 total tackles. Worilds has spent three seasons learning the Steelers’ way to play defense and backing up All-Pros James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley. It is now Worilds’ chance to make a legacy in a Steelers uniform. Worilds has started 10 games for the Steelers and has given them quality snaps. However, coaches Mike Tomlin and Dick Lebeau will not be happy with a low production season from Worilds..

10 sacks for 10 starts is low production so far compared to who Mario Williams?

LatrobePA
03-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Tomlin and Dick are the problem!

Real Deal Steel
03-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Of course they are but we still have people living in 2008.

TarlsQtr
03-30-2013, 10:49 AM
m
This is a good one... Harrison had how many sacks? woodley had how many sacks... But Woirlds wont be put up with..
Even though if you read these stats on anyone else you would be signing him quickly....

In Worilds’ short career with the Steelers, he has racked up 10 sacks and 62 total tackles. Worilds has spent three seasons learning the Steelers’ way to play defense and backing up All-Pros James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley. It is now Worilds’ chance to make a legacy in a Steelersast s uniform. Worilds has started 10 games for the Steelers and has given them quality snaps. However, coaches Mike Tomlin and Dick Lebeau will not be happy with a low production season from Worilds..

10 sacks for 10 starts is low production so far compared to who Mario Williams?

Oh, come on. There is not one NFL head coach who would have started Worilds over Harrison or Woodley in any of the last three seasons. The only reason it would happen now is because Harrison played injured last season and was not effective until about week 12. Generally speaking, the reason the kids do not play is because better players are in front of them. I just laugh at all of you people who know so much more based solely on watching guys for 60 minutes on Sunday afternoon. The real talent evaluators get to see the same 60 minutes, workouts, practices, training camp, position meetings, etc. and know what each is capable of far more than Jim the UPS driver.

coldrolled
03-30-2013, 01:47 PM
m

Oh, come on. There is not one NFL head coach who would have started Worilds over Harrison or Woodley in any of the last three seasons. The only reason it would happen now is because Harrison played injured last season and was not effective until about week 12. Generally speaking, the reason the kids do not play is because better players are in front of them. I just laugh at all of you people who know so much more based solely on watching guys for 60 minutes on Sunday afternoon. The real talent evaluators get to see the same 60 minutes, workouts, practices, training camp, position meetings, etc. and know what each is capable of far more than Jim the UPS driver.

I Get it... but that wasnt even close to my point..........

LatrobePA
03-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Yea cause Woodley has been awesome! Just like starting a washed up Troy over a player that was actually making the defense better!

**** that!

ice cream glove
03-30-2013, 03:09 PM
I guess what has me fired up is they (ravens) built their team to beat the Steelers thus winning a SB, it took them a few years but they got it. Now is the perfect time for the Steelers to take back the division!

Boldin being traded will still hurt as well as this team letting Mendy walk, yes Mendy, he was a fit in this new offense!

I think Balt. looked around and realized they had no choice in trying to keep that team intact, and realized they had the perfect storm that led to a ring: Lewis announcing his retirement plans, coming from the best leader in the entire NFL. Say what you will, but he is/was. They are being wise in realizing they weren't going to return with the same group regardless of how badly they might have wanted. They lost 3 LBs, a Hall-of-fame safety and their best play maker on offense (Boldin) who was as responsible as ANYONE for getting that ring. But they have to start over, and not necessarily starting at the beginning. By adding Dumervil, they have some semblance of a chance to still make the play offs. They still got Ray Rice, Tory Smith, Flacco, etc. Do I think they are a legit contender? Not really. But they simply had no choice. I think what they are doing is wise. I think Pgh might have tried to squeeze the juice out of their team a year or two too long.

TarlsQtr
03-30-2013, 03:21 PM
I Get it... but that wasnt even close to my point..........

Well, I am glad I missed your point then. :-)

You did directly compare Worild's production to that of Harrison and Woodley last year though. That strongly implies you felt he was the superior player.

Worilds isn't (yet), or at least has not proven to be. I am not confident but would love to see him light it up this season.