PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Colbert: How do you feel about him?

Real Deal Steel
03-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Well, we've done little to nothing in free agency and we have a ton of holes. And this guy has taken to becoming " Silent Samantha" on us and not saying anything about this teams direction. He's simple minded, he doesn't know how to maneuver around in the draft by trading down. So which one applies to how you feel?

1. I think Colbert is a great GM and he'll get the job done.

2. Colbert is a bum and I've seen enough. I want him gone.

3. It's not Colbert's fault; He's doing what the Rooney's want.

Steelergolfer59
03-16-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm in between I'd say decent but not great. I mean we have won 2 SB's with him but I think he'll be gone soon if we go down the tube in the next year or so.

JensK
03-16-2013, 08:59 PM
He is usually brilliant in the first round. I don't like his second and third day drafting; he finds someone who lasts occasionally, but its not often enough for my liking.

Real Deal Steel
03-16-2013, 09:08 PM
The guy has shown no ablility draft wise to move back, and pick up additional second round picks. That's precisely what we need this season. The guy is an *** kisser and nothing else. It's not hard to make good picks in the first round.

I want Colbert fired. I've seen enough.

Zachintosh66
03-16-2013, 09:18 PM

Facts:
Drafted 9 starters still on the team since 2008. Something like 15 of 42 draft picks, still on our roster.

LatrobePA
03-16-2013, 09:29 PM
He's no Ray Shero! Him and Tomlin can sail off into the sunset and never come back as far as I'm concerned!

NeilPatrickBanana
03-16-2013, 09:45 PM
The guy has shown no ablility draft wise to move back, and pick up additional second round picks. That's precisely what we need this season. The guy is an *** kisser and nothing else. It's not hard to make good picks in the first round.

I want Colbert fired. I've seen enough.

anyone who uses the draft as the reason they want Colbert gone is a complete moron

maybe this clown was in diapers in the Tom Donahoe era

ChucktownSteeler
03-16-2013, 09:52 PM
I'll pick #2

Zachintosh66
03-16-2013, 10:19 PM
anyone who uses the draft as the reason they want Colbert gone is a complete moron

why gotta verbally attack? do you feel better now about yourself? do you need a hug? why is it always you forcing your opinion on everyone? everyone can have an opinion, no one is right or wrong... its just a conversation. Just when I thought we were having a good draft conversation earlier today... lmao. Its okay, I bet your mom still loves you...

NeilPatrickBanana
03-16-2013, 10:24 PM
why gotta verbally attack? do you feel better now about yourself? do you need a hug? why is it always you forcing your opinion on everyone? everyone can have an opinion, no one is right or wrong... its just a conversation. Just when I thought we were having a good draft conversation earlier today... lmao. Its okay, I bet your mom still loves you...

stupid opinions that are ignorant of fact should be pointed out as stupid opinions that are ignorant of fact... this isn't pop warner, everyone doesn't get a trophy for participating

dont swoop in with your mature burger and then resort to hugs and moms... be a man, and call me an ******* if you want to. but dont try and drive on both sides of the street.

now, name one GM with a job today, that has drafted more players that have at least one super bowl ring... (see... that's what ignorant looks like)

chisteeler
03-16-2013, 10:39 PM
stupid opinions that are ignorant of fact should be pointed out as stupid opinions that are ignorant of fact... this isn't pop warner, everyone doesn't get a trophy for participating

dont swoop in with your mature burger and then resort to hugs and moms... be a man, and call me an ******* if you want to. but dont try and drive on both sides of the street.

now, name one GM with a job today, that has drafted more players that have at least one super bowl ring... (see... that's what ignorant looks like)

Okay, I'll do it... I'll just call you an *******. lol

Zachintosh66
03-16-2013, 10:53 PM

Oooh put me in my place! If you knew (or any of us) knew as much as we thought we wouldnt be sitting behind a monitor. Your "knowledge" and "un-ignorant opinions" doesnt make me look up to you... It makes you look foolish. This forum is for fans not a job interview. Most of us i guess are stupid and ignorant. Which is fine by me b/c i like having stupid conversations about my favorite team and to hear others ideas and opinions.

Click click *ignore

NeilPatrickBanana
03-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Oooh put me in my place! If you knew (or any of us) knew as much as we thought we wouldnt be sitting behind a monitor. Your "knowledge" and "un-ignorant opinions" doesnt make me look up to you... It makes you look foolish. This forum is for fans not a job interview. Most of us i guess are stupid and ignorant. Which is fine by me b/c i like having stupid conversations about my favorite team and to hear others ideas and opinions.

Click click *ignore

... but you were going to give me the list of GMs who have drafted more super bowl winners than Colbert first, right?

Real Deal Steel
03-16-2013, 11:37 PM
NeilPatrickbanana has been on my ignore list from the begining. I've forgotten more then he'll ever know about football. He's a fake internet tough guy. I've seen guys like him before. I've knocked out guys like him before. No big deal. That's why he's slowly but surely setting himself up for a life time ban from this site. Atleast under the name of "neilpatrickbanana"

Real Deal Steel
03-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Now, let's get back to the thread topic.

JackLambert
03-16-2013, 11:47 PM
I like Colbert, and big FA signings are *not* the Steeler way, but he better bring in at least a couple solid vets, and have a much improved draft, if this team is going to compete for the division.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-16-2013, 11:49 PM
NeilPatrickbanana has been on my ignore list from the begining. I've forgotten more then he'll ever know about football. He's a fake internet tough guy. I've seen guys like him before. I've knocked out guys like him before. No big deal. That's why he's slowly but surely setting himself up for a life time ban from this site. Atleast under the name of "neilpatrickbanana"

understanding a 3-4 defense must've been one of the things you've forgotten

Real Deal Steel
03-16-2013, 11:56 PM
I like Colbert, and big FA signings are *not* the Steeler way, but he better bring in at least a couple solid vets, and have a much improved draft, if this team is going to compete for the division.

Colbert has shown the ability to trade back. 7 picks are not going to do it. Coupled with the fact that Le Bum...I mean La Beau won't play rookies.

Linebackers and runningbacks are the two easiest positions that can come in as rookies and make an immediate impact. We need two new linebackers. I've got Le Beau under a microscope...I want to see one of the rookie linebackers be aloud to play significant time.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Colbert has shown the ability to trade back. 7 picks are not going to do it. Coupled with the fact that Le Bum...I mean La Beau won't play rookies.

Linebackers and runningbacks are the two easiest positions that can come in as rookies and make an immediate impact. We need two new linebackers. I've got Le Beau under a microscope...I want to see one of the rookie linebackers be aloud to play significant time.

see what i mean?

jpele
03-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Well, we've done little to nothing in free agency and we have a ton of holes. And this guy has taken to becoming " Silent Samantha" on us and not saying anything about this teams direction. He's simple minded, he doesn't know how to maneuver around in the draft by trading down. So which one applies to how you feel?

1. I think Colbert is a great GM and he'll get the job done.

3. It's not Colbert's fault; He's doing what the Rooney's want.

It's obvious you're not a Steeler fan or you would know this is the way they operate. You can name on one hand the number of big free agent signings they have made in the past 10 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ibleedblk&gld
03-17-2013, 12:10 AM

kettle?

sorry, didn't mean to get in the middle of this e-dick measuring contest....proceed

Zachintosh66
03-17-2013, 12:18 AM
kettle?

sorry, didn't mean to get in the middle of this e-dick measuring contest....proceed

:lol: funny

norcojim
03-17-2013, 12:26 AM
It's obvious you're not a Steeler fan or you would know this is the way they operate. You can name on one hand the number of big free agent signings they have made in the past 10 years

Colbert is exactly what the Rooneys ordered. He keeps within the budget and his teams remain competitive. What more can you ask, but that your team have a shot in the playoffs and once in the playoffs anything can happen, such as the two super bowls we won, but easily could have gone the other way. Every year when FA starts we have this anticipation that the Steelers are going to make some fantastic signing and it never happens. I think they are banking on the "O" line being solid and if so we will be back to Woody Hayes football. But you know what. If we make the playoffs we'll be saying Colbert is a genius.

polamalu43
03-17-2013, 12:39 AM
I'm tired of the retreads......Burress, Gay, Spaeth.

I'm hoping he is still number 1 as we need a big time draft this year!

LevonKirkland99
03-17-2013, 01:25 AM
I'd say #2 with all due respect to mister Colbert. He is not that great, but he has his work cut out for him this draft. Also Tomlin is somewhat clueless as HC the past few years...

Nolrog
03-17-2013, 11:47 AM
He is usually brilliant in the first round. I don't like his second and third day drafting; he finds someone who lasts occasionally, but its not often enough for my liking.

I think Colbert's results do not match with the reputation he has. People think of him as this brilliant GM, but reality is far from that. Here's a list of his first rounds picks over the last 5 years:

2008: Mendenhall
2009: Ziggy Hood
2010: Pouncey
2011: Cam Heyward
2012: DeCastro

There's not much brilliance there; well maybe Poucey. DeCastro the jury is out on still.

The drafts that should be forming the core of the team right now are really 2007, 2008 and 2009. Certainly, no one can argue with 2007; phenomenal draft. No matter how you slice 2008, it was an unmitigated disaster. 2009 was a decent draft as a whole (when you factor in Wallace and Lewis) but consider this. From those 3 drafts combined, we had 3 players left. Twenty-four picks over 3 years including 3 number 1s, 2 number 2s and 5 number 3s and we have 3 total players to show for it (Timmons, Woodley and Ziggy Hood.) I guess you could add in Spaeth and Gay who returned this year as well.

Nolrog
03-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Facts:
Drafted 9 starters still on the team since 2008. Something like 15 of 42 draft picks, still on our roster.

And that includes 2011 and 2012, which you expect to have guys on the roster. Look at 2008 and 2009, you have 1 guy from 2 drafts and that guy was Ziggy Hood.

Nolrog
03-17-2013, 11:52 AM

Yeah, it's not like Colbert is responsible for the draft and picking players. That's like holding LeBeau accountable for the performance of the defense. Total madness.

polamalu43
03-17-2013, 12:08 PM
If you look at most other teams they 'play' their rookies. Now granted we can say 'look at their franchises and have they been to as many Super Bowls as the Steelers', but come on. Why draft a Cam Heyward in R1 if he is not even going to be given a shot to start for 3 years?

I have been happy with our drafts, but I'd like to see them play quicker. Jason Worilds is going to be a stud....just my opinion. Our OL is solid and aside from a late round flier I think we need to focus on playmakers. 2 of our first 3 picks need to be WR or RB. I'd love a Safety or CB in there, but would need to be one of the top 2 at the position.

tazzer151
03-17-2013, 12:11 PM
#1 you can't be great all the time, and when you're usually picking at the bottom half things become less of a sure thing. Do you think the likes of Parcells' and Walshs' of the world never had dry spells. I think a down season is probably what the team needed now they get to pick from a larger talent pool.

Real Deal Steel
03-17-2013, 01:37 PM

Sorry to disappoint you but I am a Steelers fan. And I know the history as well as or better then you. But I understand that times are changing. Rules of the game are changing. And now, as of the last 3 years, you can't ignore the use of free agency anymore and be as sucessfuln as we want to be. A good example of updating a philosophy is what the giants are doing. Observe how the giants have updated there operating ways and uses free agency a little bit. That's exactly how we need to use free agency. You cannot expect to seriously be competitive in today's NFL without adding real talent. This team needs some talent infusion to all areas of the team. 7 picks, and holding on to relic players is not going to field a truly competitive team. Again, what is the reason for giving our franchise QB a 100 mil contract and then not try to seriously win another championship? Ben has maybe 5 good years left (depending on how beat up he gets).

TarlsQtr
03-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Linebackers and runningbacks are the two easiest positions that can come in as rookies and make an immediate impact. We need two new linebackers.

Uh, linebacker under LeBeau's scheme is one of the MOST difficult for a rookie to play. Early in his career, James Harrison begged to be taken out of a game because he was embarrassing himself and had no clue where he was supposed to be from play to play. Granted, he is no Rhodes Scholar but neither are most other NFL linebackers.

It is one of the most complex defenses in the league.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Sorry to disappoint you but I am a Steelers fan. And I know the history as well as or better then you. But I understand that times are changing. Rules of the game are changing. And now, as of the last 3 years, you can't ignore the use of free agency anymore and be as sucessfuln as we want to be. A good example of updating a philosophy is what the giants are doing. Observe how the giants have updated there operating ways and uses free agency a little bit. That's exactly how we need to use free agency. You cannot expect to seriously be competitive in today's NFL without adding real talent. This team needs some talent infusion to all areas of the team. 7 picks, and holding on to relic players is not going to field a truly competitive team. Again, what is the reason for giving our franchise QB a 100mil contract and then not try to seriously win another championship?

:lol:

Real Deal Steel
03-17-2013, 02:34 PM
This message is hidden because TarlsQtr is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

This message is hidden because NeilPatrickBanana is on your ignore list.
View Post

NeilPatrickBanana
03-17-2013, 02:44 PM
This message is hidden because TarlsQtr is on your ignore list.
View Post

This message is hidden because NeilPatrickBanana is on your ignore list.
View Post

oh look, another intelligent poster (TarlsQtr) pointed out that you don't know what you are talking about, and you put them on ignore...

steelcity73
03-17-2013, 03:03 PM
#1 you can't be great all the time, and when you're usually picking at the bottom half things become less of a sure thing. Do you think the likes of Parcells' and Walshs' of the world never had dry spells. I think a down season is probably what the team needed now they get to pick from a larger talent pool.

I agree it's hard to add studs when drafting in the later rounds, so mediocre seasons are acceptable to me. I love this forum, but just don't agree with a lot of the regulars ripping the organization and the way it operates. Acting like the Rooney's have no clue what they are doing, that irritates me. My question is how bellicheat and the cheatriots are in the playoffs every year, go deep into them and seem to always have plenty of cap room every off season? I know bellicheat and tom baby are probably the best duo in football, but how do they manage that every year.

Nolrog
03-17-2013, 03:10 PM
I agree it's hard to add studs when drafting in the later rounds, so mediocre seasons are acceptable to me.

There's plenty of very good talent beyond the first round. For example, Baltimore drafted Ray Rice number 24 in the 2nd round. In that same draft, 2 picks earlier, the Steelers chose Limas Sweed.

Real Deal Steel
03-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Ouch.

And that's my whole point about Colbert.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-17-2013, 04:33 PM
There's plenty of very good talent beyond the first round. For example, Baltimore drafted Ray Rice number 24 in the 2nd round. In that same draft, 2 picks earlier, the Steelers chose Limas Sweed.

Yea and that ticks me off somewhat...Plus when you factor in the Steelers could have drafted Jordy Nelson in the first instead of Mendenhall.........Nelson and Rice instead of Mendenhall/Sweed would be sweet right now but nothing we can do about it.......

TarlsQtr
03-17-2013, 05:14 PM
oh look, another intelligent poster (TarlsQtr) pointed out that you don't know what you are talking about, and you put them on ignore...

That is his first step. Next, he runs to a mod like a whiny little beeeooch and tries to get you banned.

TarlsQtr
03-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Ouch.

And that's my whole point about Colbert.

And you can play that game with nearly every team if you want to cherry pick.

Some other second rounders (before Rice):

Chilo Rachal-Niners
Phillip Merling-Dolphins
James Hardy-Bills
Tyrell Johnson-Vikings (gave up a 4th to move up 4 spots to pick)
Jordon Dizon-Lions
Trevor Laws-Eagles
Malcom Kelly-Redskins

Those are just a few. Not to mention, EVERYONE passed on Rice in the first. Drafting is not easy. Anyone can look back years later and criticize picks.

Big T
03-17-2013, 05:45 PM
And you can play that game with nearly every team if you want to cherry pick.

Some other second rounders (before Rice):

Chilo Rachal-Niners
Phillip Merling-Dolphins
James Hardy-Bills
Tyrell Johnson-Vikings (gave up a 4th to move up 4 spots to pick)
Jordon Dizon-Lions
Trevor Laws-Eagles
Malcom Kelly-Redskins

Those are just a few. Not to mention, EVERYONE passed on Rice in the first. Drafting is not easy. Anyone can look back years later and criticize picks.

Thank you. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

TarlsQtr
03-17-2013, 06:20 PM

I would love a feature on this website where we could have a real-time draft (based on who was available at the time of the choice) and save it for posterity. A little humility would come when the jokers compared their picks with Colbert's in 3-5 years.

Mocks are fine, but you never know who is actually going to be available when we pick...

NeilPatrickBanana
03-17-2013, 06:49 PM
I would love a feature on this website where we could have a real-time draft (based on who was available at the time of the choice) and save it for posterity. A little humility would come when the jokers compared their picks with Colbert's in 3-5 years.

Mocks are fine, but you never know who is actually going to be available when we pick...

I'd participate in one

Nolrog
03-17-2013, 10:29 PM

That's exactly the point. I don't have the evaluators and resources at my disposal like Colbert does. My hindsight should be his foresight, and he gets tons of praise for exactly that, and it's not deserved.

DBR96A
03-20-2013, 06:14 PM
He's part of why the Steelers are up there with the Patriots, Ravens and Packers in terms of the best front offices in the NFL. Now please allow me to drop some information on your asses that might shock you:

1. The Ravens ****ed up their 2004 and 2005 drafts.
2. The Patriots ****ed up their 2006 and 2007 drafts.
3. The Packers ****ed up their 2007 draft, and they could have done a lot better than A.J. Hawk with the #5 pick in 2006.
4. Even the best front offices **** up in the draft sometimes.

So the Steelers ****ed up their 2008 and 2009 drafts. Big deal. Their 2010 draft was excellent, and their 2012 draft has a lot of potential. If they draft well this year, then the 2008 and 2009 drafts won't even matter by 2014.

Real Deal Steel
04-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Well, as far as drafting goes, If Landry Jones is sitting there in the 4th round, I'd take a shot with him. We need to have a real backup QB and taking him in the 4th/5th round would be good value.

We won't be able to plug all our holes sufficiently but it's high time we have a backup who can give us some real hope.