LatrobePA
03-14-2013, 04:10 PM

Crash
03-14-2013, 04:15 PM
That's a fair deal.

If we wouldn't pay that? Wow.

Big T
03-14-2013, 04:16 PM
**** happens. We're still in better shape at corner than we have been in years past. Ike, Cortez, Gay, Brown will be fine. Obviously a corner in the draft early is still a possibility. We do need a starter for the future when Ike leaves, but for this season we should be fine.

jdehoff83
03-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeyyy were F'd

Big T
03-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeyyy were F'd

No we aren't

xBlitzBurghx
03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Makes me mad. 3 years to develop. Starts 1 year. And then he leaves.

NeilPatrickBanana
**** happens. We're still in better shape at corner than we have been in years past. Ike, Cortez, Gay, Brown will be fine. Obviously a corner in the draft early is still a possibility. We do need a starter for the future when Ike leaves, but for this season we should be fine.

yea... that's the disappointing part.

We would've been in much better shape with Lewis and Cortez long term.

Gay and Brown are nothing more than slot/nickel guys....

Ike has a year or 2 left... i'd rather have cut Ike, and had Lewis locked up to a bargain rate for a young starting corner.

NeilPatrickBanana

the first disappointment of the offseason for me

LatrobePA
03-14-2013, 04:19 PM

This is what makes me mad, I agree with T we'll be fine it's the time we put into some of these players...

Big T
03-14-2013, 04:22 PM
I agree it's disappointing. It makes corner more of a priority within the next couple years. At least Cortez stepped up this year and showed that not only is he capable of starting, but he creates turnovers.

jdehoff83
03-14-2013, 04:27 PM
No we aren't
I know but im still worried... he should've been priority

coldrolled
03-14-2013, 04:31 PM
I like Cortez... Really never liked Keenan that much... Obviously Keenan and 5mil didnt make sense for us.

Ike's 9 million isnt either right now...

Big T
03-14-2013, 04:37 PM
The 3rd round is kind of a crapshoot. The players drafted usually have the potential to be good players but don't always turn out that way (obviously lol). I just find it kind of funny that we nailed the 3rd round in 09, groomed them, and now thme go on and get big contracts for other teams. I liked the Wallace and Lewis picks, hated the Urbik pick. Urbik was putrid here. Could not have been happier when he was bounced. He's turned into an ok starter in Buffalo. Lewis took forever, barely showing anything during his first three years, but finally developed into a good starter on the outside. Off to the Saints. We killed it with Wallace. Say what you want, but he was one of the most productive receivers in this history of the league for their first few years. Mega contract with the Dolphins.

It's kind of depressing lol

NeilPatrickBanana
03-14-2013, 04:40 PM
The 3rd round is kind of a crapshoot. The players drafted usually have the potential to be good players but don't always turn out that way (obviously lol). I just find it kind of funny that we nailed the 3rd round in 09, groomed them, and now thme go on and get big contracts for other teams. I liked the Wallace and Lewis picks, hated the Urbik pick. Urbik was putrid here. Could not have been happier when he was bounced. He's turned into an ok starter in Buffalo. Lewis took forever, barely showing anything during his feat three years, but finally developed into a good starter in the outside. Off to the Saints. We killed it with Wallace. Say what you want, but he was one of the most productive receivers in this history of the league for their first few years.

It's kind of depressing lol

stud.
so good, then team felt comfortable letting Levitre walk

BubbyBlister
03-14-2013, 04:40 PM
So much for building through the draft. Steelers wait for a player to reach there potential in 3 to 4 years then let them go somewhere else cause they don't want to pay them. Then bring back there past average players that can't make it on average teams to plug the holes since they know the system.

BubbyBlister
03-14-2013, 04:49 PM
I think the Rooney's , Tomlin and crew watched Moneyball one to many times.

coldrolled
03-14-2013, 05:00 PM
I think the Rooney's , Tomlin and crew watched Moneyball one to many times.

Well now we need a CB, TE, OLB, WR, ILB We have one #1 pick...

Which position can play in September... WR and TE

The others will stand around with DL for 3 years and wait to be picked up from our farm system.....

So i say get the TE... He helps all around day one..

Get the CB and ILB in FA... We need to do something...

Zachintosh66
03-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Damn... Knew it was coming but tried to hold out a little hope.

I think my draft wish just changed from jordan/jones to rhodes. Only bc id rather have Worilds on the field instead of Gay. Keep Gay as far away as possible!

Crash
03-14-2013, 05:03 PM
They should have dumped Ben. They should have released him, with the UNDERSTANDING that he signs with Arians, and then worked out another deal with Arizona for "future considerations" for the draft picks.

If this is what they were going to do? Paying Ben what they pay him makes no sense.

BubbyBlister
03-14-2013, 05:03 PM

Which position can play in September... WR and TE

The others will stand around with DL for 3 years and wait to be picked up from our farm system.....

So i say get the TE... He helps all around day one..

Get the CB and ILB in FA... We need to do something... Lol and yep I would have to go with TE too.

K Train
03-14-2013, 05:23 PM
i like some people act like this is such a huge loss....hes so average, id be shocked if allen doesnt end up being much better than him.

Goodfrom55
03-14-2013, 05:24 PM
That's a fair deal.

If we wouldn't pay that? Wow.

Kind of what I was thinking, by no means a break the bank deal for the Steelers. Would be curious to see what (if any) offer was on the table from the Steelers for Lewis prior to him signing in NO.

scudmissile29
03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
i like some people act like this is such a huge loss....hes so average, id be shocked if allen doesnt end up being much better than him.

lol ya, what was so special about lewis?

Goodfrom55
03-14-2013, 05:27 PM
This will be the 1st draft in a few years where the Steelers aren't drafting for depth, but for some immediate contributions.

JackLambert
03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
I was hoping Lewis would come back so they could focus on the front 7. As it is, they need help at all three levels, inside and out. You could spend the entire draft improving this defense. Meanwhile, they need a legit TE with Heath out, a better option at RB and depth at WR. I'd still like Starks to come back but... There are more holes than picks and they're actually under the cap for a change. Here's hoping a couple more FAs are added.

cbrunn
03-14-2013, 06:02 PM

Allen will be much better then him ... I say lock up Allen long term now , while we can get him cheaper

This is the price though, for keeping these old guys around like they're making another run at a championship ... you got them at the end of a long term contract for big bucks , and young guys who are finally getting a chance to play , get decent contracts else where

Only old player I would keep at this point is Ike ... and that's because the guys is the most under rated Corner in the league and keeps himself in great shape

coldrolled
03-14-2013, 06:02 PM

I asked latrobe a few days back what his jersey number was.. he said 23.. 26 million for a player with no real upside.?
Cortez is the guy... I wish Brown had some more in him...
Is Ike gonna be healthy to start camp?? he should right?

LatrobePA
03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
I asked latrobe a few days back what his jersey number was.. he said 23.. 26 million for a player with no real upside.?
Cortez is the guy... I wish Brown had some more in him...
Is Ike gonna be healthy to start camp?? he should right?

I see what you were doing, I was waiting...

Nolrog
03-14-2013, 06:15 PM
This is disappointing.

cmerrifield
03-14-2013, 06:21 PM
The Saints offer would have fit nicely for us, I think that means the Steelers arr happy with who they have. Ike, Allen, Brown, Gay, Victotian and DVD. I am pretty good with letting him walk.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

Nolrog
03-14-2013, 06:22 PM

Nah, it's not that bad. CB still isn't a position of huge need. We have Allen and Ike, with Gay as the nickle. We're fine for this year. We definitely have needs, but CB isn't one of them, and certainly not for a #1 pick.

LASVEGASGUY
03-14-2013, 06:32 PM

This is the reason Dick Lebeau needs to pack his ****ing bags. Who is next Heyward? Let's wait until the last year of his rookie deal to see if he can play, then when he does perform, we blow our chance to extend him before free agency. Pisses me off.

Real Deal Steel
03-14-2013, 06:39 PM

Sorry Big T, but I just don't see it. We're in trouble. I just don't see the talent to match up against any of the top WR's one on one. Meaning double teaming must take place leaving the middle of he field wide open for the TE's of the world along with the slot receivers too.

USMC607
03-14-2013, 06:53 PM
I understand he wasnt nething spectacular. But he was young and still developing i would have cut ike and his hefty contract cause of his age and kept lewis that way we got young guys and wouldnt have to worry about looking for a replacement soon which we now have to.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

USMC607
03-14-2013, 06:54 PM
This team deff went backwards from the last game we played till now... someone put this bitch in drive not reverse...

Big T
03-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Sorry Big T, but I just don't see it. We're in trouble. I just don't see the talent to match up against any of the top WR's one on one. Meaning double teaming must take place leaving the middle of he field wide open for the TE's of the world along with the slot receivers too.

Ike has continually shown the ability to cover the opponents #1 receiver one-on-one. How quickly people forget the season he was having last year before he was injured. He held AJ Green (who I'm sure you would agree is a top receiver) to 1 catch for 6 yards when we played them in Cincy this past year. He held Dwayne Bowe to 4 catches for 55 yards. He held Hakeem Nicks to 1 catch for 10 yards (Keenan Lewis also had a brilliant game against Victor Cruz).

People also forget how great his season was in 2011 because of the Demaryius Thomas debacle in the playoffs. That's always been Ike's thing, the fact that every week he covers the opposing #1 receiver 1-on-1.

USMC607
03-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Signing old stop gap guys just because they know our system along with depth guys arent going to fix nething. We are putting all our eggs in the draft basket as usual which is fine but if our draft continue to be average or below average well be lookin at 8-8 again if were lucky

LASVEGASGUY
03-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Signing old stop gap guys just because they know our system along with depth guys arent going to fix nething. We are putting all our eggs in the draft basket as usual which is fine but if our draft continue to be average or below average well be lookin at 8-8 again if were lucky

We have Tomlin so get used to 8-8 and worse. We tried to keep Cowher's team together as long as possible to make Tomlin look like a good hire, for the Rooney Rule, and now it is biting us in the *** ten fold.

coldrolled
03-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Welker gone Amendola in

Keenan gone McFadden in, do we have his agents number here?? Our Fo lost it...

JackLambert
03-14-2013, 07:38 PM
What has Brown done that would give anyone confidence in him? Kid looks lost to me.

coldrolled
03-14-2013, 07:43 PM
What has Brown done that would give anyone confidence in him? Kid looks lost to me.

Hes probably in shock when he gets on the field...

JensK
03-14-2013, 08:04 PM
I would love for the Steelers to make a move for Brent Grimes. Pretty sure he is still available?

Goodfrom55
03-14-2013, 08:14 PM

Keep in mind, prior to last season, so too did Lewis look lost and undisciplined.

Stlrs4Life
03-14-2013, 08:39 PM
I was hoping Lewis would come back so they could focus on the front 7. As it is, they need help at all three levels, inside and out. You could spend the entire draft improving this defense. Meanwhile, they need a legit TE with Heath out, a better option at RB and depth at WR. I'd still like Starks to come back but... There are more holes than picks and they're actually under the cap for a change. Here's hoping a couple more FAs are added.

Exactly. Good post. Lewis had a good season last season.

Mike Tomlin
03-14-2013, 09:12 PM
I knew Lewis was gone as soon as I heard he was visiting New Orleans, there was no way he was leaving there with out a contract. With that said he's going to get roasted out there lol.

Thomas_43
03-14-2013, 09:14 PM
I knew Lewis was gone as soon as I heard he was visiting New Orleans, there was no way he was leaving there with out a contract. With that said he going to get roasted out there lol.

Keenan Lewis, meet Mr. Julio Jones......have fun staring at his *** as he runs by you.....

Omicron
03-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Keenan Lewis, meet Mr. Julio Jones......have fun staring at his *** as he runs by you.....

Not just him, watch Lewis get setup for coverage on Vincent Jackson from TB.

Mike Tomlin
03-14-2013, 09:19 PM

LOL him and others. I called it last night when it broke I knew he would jump at the chance to play in his home town , otherwise I think he would have signed with us.

JackLambert
03-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Keep in mind, prior to last season, so too did Lewis look lost and undisciplined.
Yeah, maybe. I thought Lewis at least showed flashes that he could play. I haven't seen anything positive out of Brown. I'll hope for the best. I was happy with the pick at the time. He's the 3 or 4 now so he better step us unless someone else is added...

SuperSteelers
03-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Do we have any legitimate starters left? IMHO this team isn't going to be very good next season.

Crash
03-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Keenan Lewis tonight tweets that the Steelers never offered him a contract.

Just wow.

Mike Tomlin
03-15-2013, 12:15 AM
Keenan Lewis tonight tweets that the Steelers never offered him a contract.

Just wow.
I was just thinking earlier that maybe they felt like us , he did nothing for 3 years and and had a decent year last year. What you said pretty much confirmed that for me. I think they feel like if they pay some one a nice contract it will be Cortez Allen. I mean he has come pretty quick along with the fact that Ike says he can be better than him. I'm glad that he is picking up Ike's training regimen by working out with him in Florida. I think they will extend him soon with this money they are freeing up.

tburg68
03-15-2013, 12:57 AM
Lewis was average at best. He's not a great loss. The problem I have is that the Steelers can't continue to hold onto players one year too long. They need to cut bait and develop young talent earlier. They also can't be so loyal to aging veterans when it is well known that they rely on the draft and basically ignore FA. You can't let your own talent walk and also ignore FA. That leads to an old washed up roster without depth.

connecticutsteel
03-15-2013, 01:20 AM
He turned down a bigger offer to sign with NO GOOD RIDDANCE ALLEN HAS MORE CAREER PICKS ANYWAY

Black@Gold Forever32
03-15-2013, 02:09 AM
I wanted Lewis to be resigned but I'm not that upset he is gone either......He had a solid season but he didn't have any INT's......Cortez Allen is the better player anyway and he is the younger corner that needs to be locked up..........

LatrobePA
03-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Thursday, March 14, 2013Steelers couldn't afford Lewis
Keenan Lewis signed a five-year, $26.3 million contract with the New Orleans Saints on Thursday and the teeth gnashing began for Steelers fans.

Yes, I think Lewis is a good player. But he's not a great one.

To be a great corner, you have to create turnovers - period.

Lewis doesn't do that. In fact, in four NFL seasons, he has one interception.

The way the rules have shifted in the NFL over the past decade - and particularly the past five years - it doesn't pay to just have guys who can cover.

Look at the Steelers the past two seasons. They've ranked No. 1 in the league against the pass both years. But there have been times late in games that opponents have rallied late to win games.

Why?

One part of the answer is a lack of pass rush. But the other part of the equation is that the Steelers don't have a secondary that takes the ball away.

The Steelers feel that putting Cortez Allen in the lineup full time will give them somebody else - with Troy Polamalu - who can force turnovers. Allen gave them a glimpse of that in the final two games of 2012 when he forced four turnovers while seeing his most extensive playing time.

This is the kind of secondary they want to make a shift to. It's the kind of secondary they had early on in Bill Cowher's tenure. Rod Woodson had excellent hands, as did Darren Perry.

In fact, Perry was limited in all facets of the game except catching the ball.

We'll see a continued shift in Pittsburgh's philosophy come out of this year's draft. The Steelers are going to take a safety. And you can bet he'll be a player with ball skills.

So no, the Steelers couldn't match the 5-plus million per season for Lewis. They weren't going to pay that kind of money to a player who doesn't get them possession of the ball back.

And they have other holes to fill.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 11:42 PM 5 comments: Links to this post

Big T
03-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Idk about anyone else, but I'm excited about Cortez Allen starting.

LatrobePA
03-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Idk about anyone else, but I'm excited about Cortez Allen starting.

Same here, the Lewis thing pissed me off but he wasn't a ball hawk, Allen seems to have that ability... We'll see!

Nolrog
03-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Do we have any legitimate starters left? IMHO this team isn't going to be very good next season.

Holy Hyperbole Batman.

jpele
03-15-2013, 09:17 AM
lol ya, what was so special about lewis?

Maybe the fact he was second in the league in passes defended.

I don't think will really hurt us, but I think Allen -Lewis would have been better than Taylor -Allen.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Same here, the Lewis thing pissed me off but he wasn't a ball hawk, Allen seems to have that ability... We'll see!

there is no such thing as a ball hawking CB in the Lebeau zone scheme.

now, a tackle hawk? sure, that's exactly what corners in this system are.

LatrobePA
03-15-2013, 09:28 AM
there is no such thing as a ball hawking CB in the Lebeau zone scheme.

now, a tackle hawk? sure, that's exactly what corners in this system are.

Right a tackle hawk drives me nuts! Playing 10 yards off will not yield too many picks...

coldrolled
03-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Right a tackle hawk drives me nuts! Playing 10 yards off will not yield too many picks...

It is an ugly thing only when Harrison and Woodley play like they have for two years...

We need top of the Line OLB's to make the Cb's work well in that format.

Big T
03-15-2013, 09:42 AM
It is an ugly thing only when Harrison and Woodley play like they have for two years...

We need top of the Line OLB's to make the Cb's work well in that format.

Woodley was great in 2011 before he got injured. He was injury plagued last season and LeBeau dropped him into coverage more than he rushed him (rushed 10 total times against Denver). I honestly think he'll be back this year. Especially with the bitch teammate, I mean anonymous teammate, calling him out on his shape.

tburg68
03-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Interceptions are created in DL's defense one way, and one way only: Pressure the QB. No sacks/pressure = No Picks.