PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding!

Bradshaw22
03-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Hey guys, fairly new here although I've been reading for awhile and a fan of the Steelers since their 3rd SB win (I was born in 70').

We are paying the price for some bad GM decisions over the past few seasons. Omar has done a great job in getting us under the cap but let's be real here, we are beginning to rebuild again. Yes, we do have a playoff team if we can remain healthy but we are not a SB team as the team sits now. Last year's draft was a bust aside from DeCastro. Jury is out on Adams and if Spence can make a full return. Countless threads are up about recent drafts, graded positions, etc. . .I'm very interested in seeing how we draft this year and how we play the FA market. It's a big year for us as we begin to search for locker room leadership and players to fill the voids of those who have left and/or retired.

K Train
03-11-2013, 11:32 AM
its more like upper tier maintenance rather than rebuilding...look at some of the teams that are rebuilding or have been for 50 years, the steelers arent one of them

steelcitysfinestXL
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
No rebuilding would mean: Polamalu, Miller, Clark, Kiesel, Hampton, Foote, Taylor, Starks, Colon, Foster and they players they've already cut/released would all be gone. This is a team who can no longer afford the luxury of allowing aging vets to stick around when they arent playing up to their contract. IMO, they waited too long. Not being able to lock up players like K. Lewis and Wallace, while they are still reaching their primes is a direct product of this. They should have extended both players the day they became everydown contributors!

NeilPatrickBanana
03-11-2013, 12:20 PM
you are never rebuilding when you have a franchise QB

But when you are in cap hell because you did what was necessary to keep a super bowl team together as long as possible, then it does become necessary to endure a year or 2 of "re-tooling"

Crash
03-11-2013, 02:07 PM
We don't use our franchise QB. And we "value" him by continuing to let his receivers walk.

Now Keenan Lewis is supposedly going to the Browns. So Dick LeBeau had him sit for 3 years to pay his dues and then plays one year and leaves.

Which is why Dick LeBeau shouldn't be here anymore.

Bradshaw22
03-11-2013, 03:26 PM
No rebuilding would mean: Polamalu, Miller, Clark, Kiesel, Hampton, Foote, Taylor, Starks, Colon, Foster and they players they've already cut/released would all be gone. This is a team who can no longer afford the luxury of allowing aging vets to stick around when they arent playing up to their contract. IMO, they waited too long. Not being able to lock up players like K. Lewis and Wallace, while they are still reaching their primes is a direct product of this. They should have extended both players the day they became everydown contributors!

Troy isn't the same guy anymore, can't stay healthy. Miller is still a weapon. Clark is getting older, Kiesel as well. Hampton is gone after this year. Foote is a fill in. Taylor is old. Starks is on again off again. Colon may be released and Foster is serviceable. Perhaps "rebuild" is the wrong term for Steeler Country but we are in need of some building here. Again, has to be a GOOD draft for us.

Bradshaw22
03-11-2013, 03:30 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-harrisons-exit-from-steelers-wrong-avoidable-678665/#ixzz2NCtsWS5h

Cook says we aren't rebuilding but says we are built to win NOW. I would agree with the latter which makes me point to the former.

K Train
03-11-2013, 03:35 PM
1 or 2 impact players in this draft will go a long way for the teams long term status

LatrobePA
03-11-2013, 04:19 PM
I blame some **** poor drafts and Tomlin's stubborn ish ways!

Fn injuries don't help either!

Nolrog
03-11-2013, 10:06 PM
1 or 2 impact players in this draft will go a long way for the teams long term status

Colbert hasn't been coming up with many impact players lately.

jpele
03-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Colbert hasn't been coming up with many impact players lately.

I'd be willing to bet at least 20 teams would jump all over our last couple drafts.

Hey injuries suck, not an excuse but fact they killed us last year. Remember we split with the Ravens,had we been healthy I honestly believe we had #7.

coldrolled
03-12-2013, 06:38 AM
I'd be willing to bet at least 20 teams would jump all over our last couple drafts.

Hey injuries suck, not an excuse but fact they killed us last year. Remember we split with the Ravens,had we been healthy I honestly believe we had #7.

The last two years.. Tebow beat an injury riddled team too.

connecticutsteel
03-12-2013, 09:35 AM
THE CBA IS THE MAIN CULPRIT OLDER PLAYERS APPROCH THINGS DIFFERENTLY THAN THE YOUNG GUYS THE OLDER GUYS HAVE FAMILIES AND DON'T WORK AS HARD IN THE OFF SEASON THEN WITH THE
RESTRICTIVE BA THEY GET HURT

Shaner83
03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
We don't use our franchise QB. And we "value" him by continuing to let his receivers walk.

Now Keenan Lewis is supposedly going to the Browns. So Dick LeBeau had him sit for 3 years to pay his dues and then plays one year and leaves.

Where is the link that he is going to the Browns. We will resign him we have been making room for months .he will be back.

K Train
03-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Where is the link that he is going to the Browns. We will resign him we have been making room for months .he will be back.

highly doubt he'll be back. Browns are interested though

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/10/4085748/nfl-free-agency-rumors-keenan-lewis-browns-report-interest

haslem is pulling out the check book to real players in....lewis, kruger are prime candidates to be overpaid

cmerrifield
03-12-2013, 01:14 PM

LeBeau was not the defensive back coach, Ray Horton was and he made it clear he didnt want to be. The year we went to the Super Bowl, he complained that because the Steelers are always in the post season, he was stuck because coaches were hired while the playoffs were going on. Horton was the reason Lewis sat the bench and it took Lake to actually develop the talent that is there. LeBeau is in charge of the entire defense and plays the best players, which Lewis was not. I think LeBeau should give it up too, but lets not blame everything on LeBeau. Lewis was not being developed and that is not LeBeau's job or fault.

Clevelandsux
03-13-2013, 12:22 AM
tomlin let these younger guys sit on he bench too long and kept some of these older guys around too long. we now need a lb, a wr and a rb. yes i think we are rebuilding.

Mike Tomlin
03-13-2013, 01:39 AM

Ain't it frustrating? Had an almost perfect draft and then lose just about all of them to injuries. Whats the odds of that? To make it worse all of them were serious and one being possibly career ending.

USMC607
03-13-2013, 02:20 AM
I dont even know if were rebuilding more like deconstructing. Losing or letting all our young promising players walk and resigning old players or previous castoffs..

Arent we suppose to be getting younger?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

coldrolled
03-13-2013, 09:30 AM
I dont even know if were rebuilding more like deconstructing. Losing or letting all our young promising players walk and resigning old players or previous castoffs..

Arent we suppose to be getting younger?

We may be just protecting our depth, any of these new signings can still be cut later along with hampton, colon.. right?

It may not be all that bad, with this same attitude ravens fans should be jumping out of windows...

USMC607
03-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Ya the ravens should be worried

NeilPatrickBanana
03-13-2013, 11:11 AM
We may be just protecting our depth, any of these new signings can still be cut later along with hampton, colon.. right?

It may not be all that bad, with this same attitude ravens fans should be jumping out of windows...

Casey Hampton is a free agent

so no, he can't be cut... since he isn't under contract

FlatsSteeler
03-13-2013, 11:15 AM
I could give a rats a$$ about the RatBirds.......The Steelers are making all the wring moves signing old vets to fill voids.....Plax was one thing but the rest are a major waste of roster spots.....Foote was weak last season he wasn't able to cover any RB, TE, or Slot, all he did was chase the guys as they blew past him......The useless OL they resigned are just that.....Gay was another Retread.......This team is going in the wrong direction Colbert and Tomlin haven't done much to improve so far.......Add to that that Tomlin really isn't a very good HC especially on Game Day........going to be a long long few seasons if the Steeler FO doesn't fix this.........

coldrolled
03-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Ya the ravens should be worried

They just lost Pollard too... ouch....

NeilPatrickBanana
03-13-2013, 11:39 AM
I could give a rats a$$ about the RatBirds.......The Steelers are making all the wring moves signing old vets to fill voids.....Plax was one thing but the rest are a major waste of roster spots.....Foote was weak last season he wasn't able to cover any RB, TE, or Slot, all he did was chase the guys as they blew past him......The useless OL they resigned are just that.....Gay was another Retread.......This team is going in the wrong direction Colbert and Tomlin haven't done much to improve so far.......Add to that that Tomlin really isn't a very good HC especially on Game Day........going to be a long long few seasons if the Steeler FO doesn't fix this.........

Foote plays the Buck LBer position. His role has almost nothing to do with coverage (That would be the Mack, Timmons. or depending on the play call one of the OLBs). The Bucks role is taking on Guards, FBs, etc. He's the guy who blows up the blocking scheme.

The Buck is a position that doesn't need a skilled playmaker. It needs a very strong player, who has a high football IQ, and a proven ability to take the punishment of the position over 16+ games. The perfect Buck, is a guy who has the strength of a Dlineman in a LBers body. And he needs to have adequate, but not playmaker speed. That's Foote to a T.

Foote is a good solid Buck, and he's going to be affordable. We need to groom someone to replace him (would've been Spence). But until we do, I'd rather have a proven, vet on the cheap, than a project or draft pick.

Foote is not a flashy player, and his role is not one that is easy to fill. Young players don't want the Buck role... it doesn't get you paid. No one wants to be a Fullback... and that's essentially what the Buck is, on the other side of the ball.

JensK
03-13-2013, 12:14 PM
I love Spence, and I loved the pick. However, he was always a Mack ilb to me, so in that regard I never really understood why they would pick him - I just like him as a player. He'd have to put on a lot of weight to black Buck from what limited action we saw from him.

Thomas_43
03-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Jason La Canfora reporting that the Steelers are showing interest in former Bears TE Kellen Davis.......

NeilPatrickBanana
03-13-2013, 12:24 PM
I love Spence, and I loved the pick. However, he was always a Mack ilb to me, so in that regard I never really understood why they would pick him - I just like him as a player. He'd have to put on a lot of weight to black Buck from what limited action we saw from him.

yea, as a prospect (pre draft) I always viewed him as a mack. He was a sideline to sideline guy.

But I always assumed that after the disaster that was playing Timmons Buck next to Farrior, and bringing Foote back, AND signing Timmons to a monster deal...that the team KNEW something I didn't, and drafted Spence to develop as a Buck, because Timmons is the Franchise Mack.

Otherwise... that's an odd pick in the 3rd.

I agree with you... I had the same initial assessment of Spence before we drafted him.

USMC607
03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
I am confused on what the ravens are doing.
I understand losing all their free agents because they signed Bert to that ridiculous contract. But letting go of pollard their leading tackler in the playoffs.. Are they trying to free up money to sign Berts lover Ernie or are they attempting to pull something off that im not seeing?

JoeSteelerFan
03-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Yes, the Steelers are rebuilding ... even though that word is looked upon as politically incorrect from the leagues perspective.

See, they believe "Rebuilding sounds too harsh .... too long term .... too much of a negative effect on ticket sales and merchandise" The NFL has told teams to purposely refrain from using that word if they want to protect their revenues.

The term "Re-tooling" sounds much more quick and nimble: ... as if they were merely replacing a few loose screws and tidying up the shed. So yes, the Steelers are re-tooling. What they won't tell you is that every "re-tooling" takes approximately 3 years to accomplish. In the case of the Steelers, it started last year, continued this year, and by next year .... all the aging vets will have been shown the door. The final chapter will ultimately be Polamalu, Ike, and Kiesel (possibly Hampton too if they don't cut him loose this year).

Time to look toward the future my Steelers Nation brethren.

Thomas_43
03-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Yes, the Steelers are rebuilding ... even though that word is looked upon as politically incorrect from the leagues perspective.

See, they believe "Rebuilding sounds too harsh .... too long term .... too much of a negative effect on ticket sales and merchandise" The NFL has told teams to purposely refrain from using that word if they want to protect their revenues.

The term "Re-tooling" sounds much more quick and nimble: ... as if they were merely replacing a few loose screws and tidying up the shed. So yes, the Steelers are re-tooling. What they won't tell you is that every "re-tooling" takes approximately 3 years to accomplish. In the case of the Steelers, it started last year, continued this year, and by next year .... all the aging vets will have been shown the door. The final chapter will ultimately be Polamalu, Ike, and Kiesel (possibly Hampton too if they don't cut him loose this year).

You forgot Lebeau in that group that will see the door after this season...

coldrolled
03-13-2013, 10:01 PM
I am confused on what the ravens are doing.
I understand losing all their free agents because they signed Bert to that ridiculous contract. But letting go of pollard their leading tackler in the playoffs.. Are they trying to free up money to sign Berts lover Ernie or are they attempting to pull something off that im not seeing?

I heard Newsome said it was a 5 year plan to build up around Flacco. The next year may be a bit rough..
Hes putting his reputation on Flaccos back... Good Luck Ozzie.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-13-2013, 10:03 PM

No team with a franchise QB in his prime is ever rebuilding

Were the Patriots rebuilding when they were dumping law, Harrison, brown, bruschki, Warren, dillon, Seymour, that LBer who caught a lot of Tds and played for the steelers once and his name escapes me... Anyway, the point is, you're wrong and there is a discernible difference between rebuilding and retooling

LatrobePA
03-13-2013, 10:03 PM
I heard Newsome said it was a 5 year plan to build up around Flacco. The next year may be a bit rough..
Hes putting his reputation on Flaccos back... Good Luck Ozzie.

I hope they burst at the seams! Ray Ray said today that this team had chemistry last year... Welp that's out the window!

Thomas_43
03-13-2013, 10:04 PM
On a side note....I know that Ike is our best corner, but there is no way in hell that he is worth the 9.454 million dollar cap hit that he causes.....I almost fainted when I saw that number

coldrolled
03-13-2013, 10:29 PM
On a side note....I know that Ike is our best corner, but there is no way in hell that he is worth the 9.454 million dollar cap hit that he causes.....I almost fainted when I saw that number

That 122million cap has to be used up somewhere...

Omicron
03-13-2013, 10:34 PM
that LBer who caught a lot of Tds and played for the steelers once and his name escapes me

Good ol' Mike Vrabel

Clevelandsux
03-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Good ol' Mike Vrabel

Ya but vrabel sucked when he played for the steelers.

Clevelandsux
03-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Rebuilding? Ok we lost our starting rb, wr, lb and ol and in the last day? How can we not be rebuilding? Are these moves going to make us a better team? No! I'm not heartbroken over losing any of these guys. Harrison the most. But my deal is who are we replacing them with?

Mike Tomlin
03-13-2013, 11:02 PM
The more I think about it Kenaan Lewis may not leave New Orleans without a deal. I'm sure their selling point is the fact he'll play in his home town .

Omicron
03-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Z
Ya but vrabel sucked when he played for the steelers.

No argument there. Just throwing the name out per NPB's post.

Goodfrom55
03-13-2013, 11:25 PM
I always thought a rebuilding process also included either a new head coach or a new GM. Steelers simply don't have the money to be competing with the Browns or Pats or other teams with significant room under the cap. I like what they did with the O-line, Plax is a house money signing and Ben loves him so I think it will work out.

We've all been pretty spoiled over the years to think that an 8-8 season coupled with some surprising cuts is a rebuild. While I am not thrilled to see Harrison cut, I called it back in September. If they can retain McClendon, Sanders, and possibly Lewis, then great. If Lewis walks, well, then it's Cortez's time to shine with Gay as a Nickle Back.

Setback? Perhaps. Rebuilding? No. Steelers were 5 or 6 plays away from going 12-4.

It sounds like an excuse, but if this team can stay healthy this season, the Steelers wil be right back in contention for a super bowl. Simply need a feature RB and an OLB Pass rush.

Question: With Harrison gone, do the Steelers move Woody to the blind side and put Worilds on the strong side? I say yes.

JoeSteelerFan
03-13-2013, 11:50 PM
No team with a franchise QB in his prime is ever rebuilding

Were the Patriots rebuilding when they were dumping law, Harrison, brown, bruschki, Warren, dillon, Seymour, that LBer who caught a lot of Tds and played for the steelers once and his name escapes me... Anyway, the point is, you're wrong and there is a discernible difference between rebuilding and retooling

I've got news for you friend. Roethlisbergers' entire game has been predicated on his ability to elude the pass rush, extend plays, and play pull-it-out-of-your-*** sand-lot football. Ben's not getting any younger and certainly isn't getting any faster. If you didn't notice his game changed last year then you weren't paying attention. Ben better learn to adapt to Haley's quick decision, quick release system or he's going to fail miserably. Ben better break his Arians day habits of undisciplined rag-tag football, and learn to play more like Brady or he will have stats like he did in SBXL when he **** the bed. If anyone thinks Ben is going to be the same QB he was 4-5 years ago then you're only fooling yourselves.

When you start to unload starting players that have been fixtures in the organization for the better part of a decade, YOU'RE RE-TOOLING (aka Rebuilding). The discernible difference between rebuilding and retooling that you eluded to is the fact that players, coaches, and systems/schemes are being replaced. You'll have a hard time convincing anyone that they're not.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-14-2013, 12:26 AM
I've got news for you friend. Roethlisbergers' entire game has been predicated on his ability to elude the pass rush, extend plays, and play pull-it-out-of-your-*** sand-lot football. Ben's not getting any younger and certainly isn't getting any faster. If you didn't notice his game changed last year then you weren't paying attention. Ben better learn to adapt to Haley's quick decision, quick release system or he's going to fail miserably.

yea, did you notice he was having an MVP caliber season and playing the best football of his career before he got injured?

When you start to unload starting players that have been fixtures in the organization for the better part of a decade, YOU'RE RE-TOOLING (aka Rebuilding). The discernible difference between rebuilding and retooling that you eluded to is the fact that players, coaches, and systems/schemes are being replaced. You'll have a hard time convincing anyone that they're not.

retooling and rebuilding aren't the same thing. do you need a dictionary?

Clevelandsux
03-14-2013, 01:22 AM
[QUOTE=Harrison92;540817]

Setback? Perhaps. Rebuilding? No. Steelers were 5 or 6 plays away from going 12-4.

Now we seem to be closer to 4-12 than
12-4

Crash
03-14-2013, 01:56 AM
I've got news for you friend. Roethlisbergers' entire game has been predicated on his ability to elude the pass rush, extend plays, and play pull-it-out-of-your-*** sand-lot football.

Actually it's not.

polamalu43
03-14-2013, 02:03 AM
Our record this year will depend on this draft and our picks from last year. Decastro and Adams need to stay healthy. Will Ta'amu make the team? Can Spence return?

When I try to think what Colbert is thinking........he has got to have C Allen opposite Ike this year....let Lewis walk unless the $$ for him is not there. Then we draft a CB to take over in a year or 2. We need so much that its hard to figure out which way to turn.
Colbert said our RB situation needed to improve. Now we have Dwyer, Redman and Batch? I hope we get Montee Ball in the draft. Would not surprise me to see us grab one of the 2 top TE's in R1. Then go Safety or CB in R2. RB in R3.

coldrolled
03-14-2013, 07:22 AM
I've got news for you friend. Roethlisbergers' entire game has been predicated on his ability to elude the pass rush, extend plays, and play pull-it-out-of-your-*** sand-lot football. Ben's not getting any younger and certainly isn't getting any faster. If you didn't notice his game changed last year then you weren't paying attention. Ben better learn to adapt to Haley's quick decision, quick release system or he's going to fail miserably. Ben better break his Arians day habits of undisciplined rag-tag football, and learn to play more like Brady or he will have stats like he did in SBXL when he **** the bed.

How fast was Luck at the top of the sack count stat... Arians leaving saved his hide.. Good luck to Kolb..
Ben needs to have a solid OL now as he gets older, Brady has a bad knee and really cant run yet he is a god..
Ben needs a solid pocket and he will destroy for a few more years.
He needs a pair of great TE's Ben has the receivers for his range.... Brady doesnt use a long ball.. Ben misses half the time anyway going to Wallace..

We need a FA ILB and draft an TE, OLB, S, WR, RB, ILB, OL

If we get a great ILB in the draft, then we trade the other ILB from FA to someone in September after an injury and pick up a nice draft pick...

Dean Denton
03-14-2013, 07:38 AM
This team will be fine. 13-3. If healthy. They just need to reload and get to it.