PDA

View Full Version : Steelers place tenders on RFAs

Big T
03-10-2013, 01:39 AM
The Steelers put tenders on their restricted free agents Saturday, and there are two interesting developments.

The first one is Pittsburgh placing a low tender on Steve McLendon, who is expected to replace Casey Hampton as the team's starting nose tackle. There were thoughts that the Steelers would protect him more by putting a second-round tender on him.

But, in choosing the low tender ($1.3 million) over the second-round one ($2 million), the Steelers could lose McLendon without compensation because he was undrafted. Of course, the Steelers would have the right to match any offer, although it could be difficult to do considering their cap problems. This is certainly a gamble.

The Steelers' other notable decision was placing tenders on both running backs, Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman. There was speculation that the Steelers might only put the tender on Redman because of limited cap room. But Pittsburgh put low tenders on Dwyer and Redman, both of whom will get $1.3 million. Although unlikely, the Steelers would get a sixth-round pick as compensation if they lose Dwyer to another team and no compensation for Redman because he was undrafted.

Accounting for all of these RFA tenders in the cap, the Steelers were $1.4 million over. But, when factoring in the release of linebacker James Harrison, the Steelers are now $3.4 million under the cap.

Here's a recap of the Steelers' restricted free agents:

RB Jonathan Dwyer: Original round (sixth round)

P Jeremy Kapinos: No tender

NT Steve McLendon: Right of first refusal (no compensation)

RB Isaac Redman: Right of first refusal (no compensation)

LB Stevenson Sylvester: No tender

WR Emmanuel Sanders: Original round (third round)

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nflnation&id=73583&src=desktop

LatrobePA
03-10-2013, 10:25 AM
McLendon leaves I'll be pissed! He's under used and should of been starting!

Zachintosh66
03-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Did anyone NOT get tendered? I cant remember off the top of my head.

Was kinda hoping they would pick a RB so we could then go after a rook. Still can but... :dunno:

Sounds like they arent really "scared" to lose anyone. Even Sanders, i could someone spending a third on him. Very intrested to see how april develops.

cbrunn
03-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Did anyone NOT get tendered? I cant remember off the top of my head.

Was kinda hoping they would pick a RB so we could then go after a rook. Still can but... :dunno:

Sounds like they arent really "scared" to lose anyone. Even Sanders, i could someone spending a third on him. Very intrested to see how april develops.

I hope somebody spends a 3rd for Sanders .... Need to give Ben some Size in this draft ... would love to have that extra 3rd

ChucktownSteeler
03-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Sylvester and Kapinos did not receive a tender offer. They are free to seek employment elsewhere.

Goodfrom55
03-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Was a little surprised they did not protect Sanders a little better than an original round pick. Losing Wallace AND Sanders would cripple the passing game, especially with Miller out indefinitely.

McClendon as well, Definitely shaking my head here.

Real Deal Steel
03-11-2013, 08:46 PM
That's your boy Colbert.

Mike Tomlin
03-11-2013, 09:33 PM
I agree with all except McClendon, but I think we'll still be able to keep him.

Big T
03-12-2013, 12:09 AM
@AdamSchefter: An upset of today: Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer signed his sixth-round tender for $1.323 million. Didn't want to wait. Wanted to prove point.

Zachintosh66
03-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Adam Schefter is reporting that Dwyer has already signed his tender.

"Wanted to prove a point."

jpele
03-12-2013, 12:21 AM
The point being , who else is going to offer a rb that taps himself out after every second play a contract.

cmerrifield
03-12-2013, 06:43 AM
The point being , who else is going to offer a rb that taps himself out after every second play a contract.

Dwyer is already in full conditioning and training mode. He sees the writing on the wall and knows that if he wants to continue to be in the NFL, he has to prove it this year. He certainly has a history of being out of shape and lazy in the offseason, but hopefully that is the past.

coldrolled
03-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Dwyer is already in full conditioning and training mode. He sees the writing on the wall and knows that if he wants to continue to be in the NFL, he has to prove it this year. He certainly has a history of being out of shape and lazy in the offseason, but hopefully that is the past.

Hes young, its time for him to break out.. he had a ziilion yards in college. he wasnt tired then???

K Train
03-12-2013, 09:48 AM
@AdamSchefter: An upset of today: Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer signed his sixth-round tender for $1.323 million. Didn't want to wait. Wanted to prove point.

i like it, hes kinda making a statement. he needs to do something with this opportunity. I am so happy the steelers are being linked to steven jackson, that makes so much sense as a signing.

Dwyer signing his tender is good, redman not signing his immediately is hilarious...PLEASE someone make that man an offer

Zachintosh66
03-12-2013, 10:15 AM
At this point dwyer is our best back and best option.

I cant believe they brought back all 3 RBs. Granted all of them still have to make the team, but im interested to see where they draft a RB. I guess that will show how much faith they have in these guys...

Real Deal Steel
03-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Dwyer trying to step up to the plate. I respect that. If he came to camp in phenomenal shape, that would impress me more.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-12-2013, 10:58 AM
At this point dwyer is our best back and best option.

I cant believe they brought back all 3 RBs. Granted all of them still have to make the team, but im interested to see where they draft a RB. I guess that will show how much faith they have in these guys...

dwyer, redman, and ?

Zachintosh66
03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Batch... Was given an exclusive right contract thing too

NeilPatrickBanana
03-12-2013, 11:36 AM

Missed that.
Thanks

Real Deal Steel
03-12-2013, 11:39 AM

Best case scenerio: Dwyer comes into camp in great, great shape. But Steven Jackson is signed. What a one/two punch that would be! And...what is the best way to keep Ben from being hit so much? Running the rock!

And with the run, comes a monster play action passing game too.

Real Deal Steel
03-12-2013, 11:40 AM

What a joke. I wouldn't give him anything other then a ham sandwich and a bus ticket.

JenZwain
03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Dwyer will have the same chance as everyone else in camp and OTA's. He knows it. If he comes in ready to rock, I think he has a huge opportunity in front of him.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-12-2013, 12:02 PM
What a joke. I wouldn't give him anything other then a ham sandwich and a bus ticket.

Batch is probably the best fit for the system (of the 3)