PDA

View Full Version : K Train's Steeler Mock 2.0

K Train
03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
1. Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia

After seeing Decastro fall into our laps last season, heres the next best thing. Jarvis Jones is the best player in this draft, a borderline elite prospect. Would absolutely thrive in replacing harrison and be able to have much more range in coverage. He falls to 17, but the steelers shouldnt be shy on taking a shot on him. his spinal condition may be bothersome for him later on in his life, but that will happen regardless if he plays football or not. if hes good to go, we'll get some quality years out of him even if others were scared away/

Other Picks: Chance Warmack, Jon Cooper, Keenan Allen, Cordarelle Patterson, Xavier Rhodes, Tyler Eifert, Barkevious Mingo, Kenny Vaccaro, DeAndre Hopkins

2. Justin Hunter WR Tennessee

I absolutely love this pick. Hes 6-4, 200 pounds, with 4.4 speed. hes a big WR that ben craves, hes physical enough, and should be getting very comfortable on his knee. he was a top prospect before he got hurt and he was good last year, but you could see the hesitation on his knee. That passes with time. I LOVVVEEEE Patterson as a prospect, but i wouldnt be surprised in the littlest bit if Hunter is the better pro, and he was no slouch in workouts, even though Patterson was amazing.

Other Picks: Giovanni Bernard, Matt Elam, Shamarko Thomas, Davis Amerson, Robert Woods, Zach Ertz, Corey Lemonier, Manti Teo, Kevin Minter, Margus Hunt, Terrence Williams

3. Stepfan Taylor RB Stanford

This is assuming mendenhall wont be brought back, but it fills a need and maybe can lift the run game out of the basement. he was productive at stanford, and he will welcome being reunited with Decastro as Decastro takes the next step.

Other Picks: TJ Mcdonald, Montee Ball, Dennard Robinson, Mike Gissellie, BW Webb, Brandon Jenkins, Chase Thomas

4. Brian Schwenke C Cal

This only works if they move Pouncey to Guard, which ive never been opposed to. hes a top 7 center, but would be a top 4 guard and it would take some stress of his ankles. Schwenke can move people off the line and has had a producitve career at a school with a decent pedigree

5. Landry Jones QB Oklahoma

Was a long time hater of his when he got any first round hype...just another OU QB, but still has good size, was accurate, and is experienced. Not the prospect he was supposed to be, but will be one hell of a backup with some starter potential.

6. Rontez Miles S Cal-PA

Hes a lock pick imo being all inked up with a steeler logo on his arm. Hes a little known player but they have a soft spot for players who were fans growing up (See: Mike Adams, one of my lock picks last year). Developmental safety prospect and a local product.

7. TJ Barnes DT Georgia Tech

Hes a mammoth AT 6-7 369, He lost weight from 378 and wants to play at 350...hes got some trouble with technique because hes so tall, but a late round flier could be worth it because he can certainly take up blockers once he starts to play lower and he can knock down passes. You take a flier on him because theres only a handful of people on the planet that big, see if he can be someone

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
I would be very happy with that draft..........Jones and Hunter would make me very happy......I really like Taylor and Schwenke.......I'm not the biggest fan of Landry Jones but its the 5th round so I would be down with taking a chance on a backup QB in the 5th......I have no problems with Miles and Barnes....6th and 7th rounds is where you take even more chances and if they pan out its a great or if they don't then really no harm done........

I enjoy your mocks every year so look forward to the next one......

TarlsQtr
03-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I like it too, although I do not see Jones dropping to us in the first. NO needs a 3-4 guy in the worst way. I just saw a mock landing us Vaccaro (even with Warmack on the board) but I would rather trade down than take a safety in the first.

JollyRob68
03-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Nice Mock, I'd like the Steelers to sign a FA QB and not have to draft one. I like Landry Jones. In The 5th I'd take Mike Muati or Rontez in 5, Muati in 6.

scudmissile29
03-05-2013, 04:02 PM
you really think jarvis jones is there at 17?

ChucktownSteeler
03-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Nice draft indeed, I like Cooper in the first and Minter in the second. I will try and get my updated draft out this weekend. Work has been a killer.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Positionally I love it

And you know I love the hunter and schwenke picks.

Regarding Jarvis... If he's the best player in thus draft and 16 GMs/scouts/medical staffs pass on him... That should speak volumes.

I don't think you can compare an OG falling from the projected teens into the 20s... To a pass rusher falling from top 3-5 to 17

ChucktownSteeler
03-05-2013, 08:44 PM
It is a very good draft. I could live with it. Got to get mine done this weekend.

coldrolled
03-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Ktrain i love the picks. Not sure we have a shot though in round 1... or #2 with those.

this round one from nfl.com

charles davis today!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/charles-davis/165258

K Train
03-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Positionally I love it

And you know I love the hunter and schwenke picks.

Regarding Jarvis... If he's the best player in thus draft and 16 GMs/scouts/medical staffs pass on him... That should speak volumes.

I don't think you can compare an OG falling from the projected teens into the 20s... To a pass rusher falling from top 3-5 to 17
i know you love patterson and hopkins i didnt know you were high on hunter.

If Jarvis falls its not neccesarily because he didnt pass medical checks, its more that the team is scared away that theres an issue to begin with. I feel like outside of the top 10 that risk begins to fall dramatically. At some point the reward outweighs the risk, hes a perfect fit and a great player. I have him rated as the top player, some arent so generous.

I like schwenke, im not opposed to warmack, cooper in 1 or frederick, jones in 2. We need one more piece at oline and that could be either a center or a guard.

Something I am seriously thinking could happen is a trade with the cardinals to get the 17th pick to get barkley. IF that happens i would say something like:

2. (Cardinals): Giovanni Bernard
2. (Steelers): Justin Hunter
3. Corey Lemonier
4. Schwenke
5. ...ect ect

Im so sold on Hunter after the combine

NeilPatrickBanana
03-05-2013, 10:41 PM
regarding Hunter:
i agree, the combine was the test i was waiting for in regards to being fully recovered from that ACL. I feel comfortable relating his poor 2012 season to that recovery period.

he is raw in a lot of ways... not a polished route runner... takes plays off... but when you see him in stride, you see shades of Randy.

I'd be all over him in the 2nd round.

call me crazy... but I have a dream that we draft both tennessee WRs... Patterson and Hunter.

K Train
03-05-2013, 10:54 PM
that would be crazy, but i do feel like patterson will be long gone.

I saw a mock with us taking hunter in the first over allen, i like allen, but i do have them neck and neck at #2 so if they took hunter at 17 i wouldnt hate it, id have faith that they took their guy rather than risking losing him

WR rankings today:

Cordarelle Patterson, Tennesee
Keenan Allen, Cal
Justin Hunter, Tennessee
DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
Terrence Williams, Baylor
Robert Woods, USC
Tavon Austin, West Virgina
Quinton Patton, Lousianna Tech
DaRick Rodgers, Tennessee Tech

I dont see these changing too much for me at this point...Hunter may get the nod over Allen, and Williams/Woods/Austin are all real close stock wise

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 12:09 AM
that would be crazy, but i do feel like patterson will be long gone.

I saw a mock with us taking hunter in the first over allen, i like allen, but i do have them neck and neck at #2 so if they took hunter at 17 i wouldnt hate it, id have faith that they took their guy rather than risking losing him

WR rankings today:

Cordarelle Patterson, Tennesee
Keenan Allen, Cal
Justin Hunter, Tennessee
DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
Terrence Williams, Baylor
Robert Woods, USC
Tavon Austin, West Virgina
Quinton Patton, Lousianna Tech
DaRick Rodgers, Tennessee Tech

I dont see these changing too much for me at this point...Hunter may get the nod over Allen, and Williams/Woods/Austin are all real close stock wise

for me
1. Patterson - insane upside
2a/2b Allen/Hopkins - the 2 most polished
4 Hunter - the least polished, but 2nd highest upside
--- all 1st round grades from me

the rest that I could live with in the 2nd round....
5. Wheaton
6. Patton
7. Woods
8. Williams

take a 3rd rounder if we **** it up...
9. Stills
10. Swope
11. Rodgers
12. Hamilton

Austin is not on my list for Steelers...not a fit

USMC607
03-06-2013, 01:06 AM
Jones and Hunter at 1 and 2 would be awesome. This yrs draft just seems really difficult to predict. Mainly because we need to replenish our RB position we need a top tier WR replacement for Wallaces departure. And evely a TE due to heaths injury. But then we need to also replenish our LB corps. As well as thinking about taking a future S.

Alot of needs and only 7 picks and the talent isnt as top heavy as in previous drafts.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Black@Gold Forever32
03-06-2013, 01:18 AM
If the Steelers drafted both Patterson and Hunter then I probably would rub one off......Ok not really but I really would love it....

Black@Gold Forever32
03-06-2013, 01:37 AM
for me
1. Patterson - insane upside
2a/2b Allen/Hopkins - the 2 most polished
4 Hunter - the least polished, but 2nd highest upside
--- all 1st round grades from me

the rest that I could live with in the 2nd round....
5. Wheaton
6. Patton
7. Woods
8. Williams

take a 3rd rounder if we **** it up...
9. Stills
10. Swope
11. Rodgers
12. Hamilton

Austin is not on my list for Steelers...not a fit

Patterson, Allen, Hunter, Hopkins, Williams.....One of those five I want in this draft.....I really like Wheaton and Swope as well........

scudmissile29
03-06-2013, 10:57 AM
If the Steelers drafted both Patterson and Hunter then I probably would rub one off......Ok not really but I really would love it....

no shame no game.

BstripeYpaint
03-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Nice effort. Taylor brings it on every down. I'd love to see us get him. I heard someone say Jarvis Jones may be the top choice of the Browns. Thank you for the TJ Barnes suggestion; I was unaware of him.

coldrolled
03-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Get Eifert first... Its like getting a smart OL player and a WR in one pick.

Then get an OL player in the 2nd..

Then get the LB's

Safety next year.

JollyRob68
03-07-2013, 01:45 PM
i know you love patterson and hopkins i didnt know you were high on hunter.

If Jarvis falls its not neccesarily because he didnt pass medical checks, its more that the team is scared away that theres an issue to begin with. I feel like outside of the top 10 that risk begins to fall dramatically. At some point the reward outweighs the risk, hes a perfect fit and a great player. I have him rated as the top player, some arent so generous.

I like schwenke, im not opposed to warmack, cooper in 1 or frederick, jones in 2. We need one more piece at oline and that could be either a center or a guard.

Something I am seriously thinking could happen is a trade with the cardinals to get the 17th pick to get barkley. IF that happens i would say something like:

2. (Cardinals): Giovanni Bernard
2. (Steelers): Justin Hunter
3. Corey Lemonier
4. Schwenke
5. ...ect ect

Im so sold on Hunter after the combine

KTrain trading out of the first? Say it isn't so. lol, I think The Steelers can pickup more pieces that can contribute if the move back or trade out. However it depends on who's on the board at 17.
I can also see 49ers coming up if Star L is still on the board or The Vikings coming up for Tavon Austin and trading Percy Harvin.
KTrain, Would you trade for Percy Harvin? Trade = Swap first & Steelers 3rd for #23 & Harvin plus you need to pay him.

scudmissile29
03-07-2013, 03:51 PM
i would like hunter

Zachintosh66
03-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Wouldnt surprise me to see Jones play ILB... Im sure that wont go over well on here.

Are we in line for any comp picks? When do those get announced?

connecticutsteel
03-07-2013, 07:55 PM
i don't think hunter will be there at 48 and we don't need a center maybe a guard but i was impressed with beachum last year and i have him staring at left guard if colon is cut taylor is not my choice my 3rd round pick would be wreh -wilson to replace curtis brown who is becoming a bust

Zachintosh66
03-07-2013, 09:20 PM
I have a man crush (outside the first rounders) on woods and swope

JollyRob68
03-07-2013, 11:14 PM

Swope is like Hines with speed. I like him also.

ChucktownSteeler
03-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Wouldnt surprise me to see Jones play ILB... Im sure that wont go over well on here.

We are in line for 2 comp. picks, more than likely the 7th round.

cmerrifield
03-08-2013, 08:09 AM
We are in line for 2 comp. picks, more than likely the 7th round.

Why two? Gay is the only FA we lost that will get us any comps.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

steelcitysfinestXL
03-08-2013, 08:28 AM
1. Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia

After seeing Decastro fall into our laps last season, heres the next best thing. Jarvis Jones is the best player in this draft, a borderline elite prospect. Would absolutely thrive in replacing harrison and be able to have much more range in coverage. He falls to 17, but the steelers shouldnt be shy on taking a shot on him. his spinal condition may be bothersome for him later on in his life, but that will happen regardless if he plays football or not. if hes good to go, we'll get some quality years out of him even if others were scared away/

Other Picks: Chance Warmack, Jon Cooper, Keenan Allen, Cordarelle Patterson, Xavier Rhodes, Tyler Eifert, Barkevious Mingo, Kenny Vaccaro, DeAndre Hopkins

2. Justin Hunter WR Tennessee

I absolutely love this pick. Hes 6-4, 200 pounds, with 4.4 speed. hes a big WR that ben craves, hes physical enough, and should be getting very comfortable on his knee. he was a top prospect before he got hurt and he was good last year, but you could see the hesitation on his knee. That passes with time. I LOVVVEEEE Patterson as a prospect, but i wouldnt be surprised in the littlest bit if Hunter is the better pro, and he was no slouch in workouts, even though Patterson was amazing.

Other Picks: Giovanni Bernard, Matt Elam, Shamarko Thomas, Davis Amerson, Robert Woods, Zach Ertz, Corey Lemonier, Manti Teo, Kevin Minter, Margus Hunt, Terrence Williams

3. Stepfan Taylor RB Stanford

This is assuming mendenhall wont be brought back, but it fills a need and maybe can lift the run game out of the basement. he was productive at stanford, and he will welcome being reunited with Decastro as Decastro takes the next step.

Other Picks: TJ Mcdonald, Montee Ball, Dennard Robinson, Mike Gissellie, BW Webb, Brandon Jenkins, Chase Thomas

4. Brian Schwenke C Cal

This only works if they move Pouncey to Guard, which ive never been opposed to. hes a top 7 center, but would be a top 4 guard and it would take some stress of his ankles. Schwenke can move people off the line and has had a producitve career at a school with a decent pedigree

5. Landry Jones QB Oklahoma

Was a long time hater of his when he got any first round hype...just another OU QB, but still has good size, was accurate, and is experienced. Not the prospect he was supposed to be, but will be one hell of a backup with some starter potential.

6. Rontez Miles S Cal-PA

Hes a lock pick imo being all inked up with a steeler logo on his arm. Hes a little known player but they have a soft spot for players who were fans growing up (See: Mike Adams, one of my lock picks last year). Developmental safety prospect and a local product.

7. TJ Barnes DT Georgia Tech

Hes a mammoth AT 6-7 369, He lost weight from 378 and wants to play at 350...hes got some trouble with technique because hes so tall, but a late round flier could be worth it because he can certainly take up blockers once he starts to play lower and he can knock down passes. You take a flier on him because theres only a handful of people on the planet that big, see if he can be someone

I like this draft a lot. I just dont see ANY way Jones falls to us. Too many teams could use an ELITE pass rusher. I understand the DeCastro-esk though process and i hope and pray that happens again. He is the ONLY front 7 defensive player i want at #17. Patterson would be my second favorite because i think thats a GREAT value pick. Im sorry but TE and RB would make me trow up at #17. I wouldnt hate Kenny Vaccaro at 17 but i dont think the value is there. ALOT of this depends on what happens with 92 over the next 4 days! Though, if Patterson and Jones are gone (and the other projected top 3 pass rushers) i would be contacting a team like Miami and or the 49ers. The Niners have very little at WR and may lose Gholston at Safety. If Vaccaro and/or Patterson are on the board we may benefit from a trade. I like the thought of an Eddie Lacy alot more at 31 (plus a second rounder???) than i do at 17!

scudmissile29
03-08-2013, 09:01 AM
I like this draft a lot. I just dont see ANY way Jones falls to us. Too many teams could use an ELITE pass rusher. I understand the DeCastro-esk though process and i hope and pray that happens again. He is the ONLY front 7 defensive player i want at #17. Patterson would be my second favorite because i think thats a GREAT value pick. Im sorry but TE and RB would make me trow up at #17. I wouldnt hate Kenny Vaccaro at 17 but i dont think the value is there. ALOT of this depends on what happens with 92 over the next 4 days! Though, if Patterson and Jones are gone (and the other projected top 3 pass rushers) i would be contacting a team like Miami and or the 49ers. The Niners have very little at WR and may lose Gholston at Safety. If Vaccaro and/or Patterson are on the board we may benefit from a trade. I like the thought of an Eddie Lacy alot more at 31 (plus a second rounder???) than i do at 17!

don't see much difference with pick 17 and pick 31 with eddie lacy. at the end of the day if he's selected he's selected, goes with every prospect considered for the first round.

we don't desperately need a wide receiver because we have sanders and browns. while nobody is happy with these two, a first round isn't needed.

if menendehall leaves town, that leaves us with dwyer and redman, so its obviously a position of need.

OLB we could have woodley and worilds. both 2nd round picks.

I can only see us taking safety or running back at 17.

my picks would be lacy or vacarro unless someone like bingo falls.

JollyRob68
03-08-2013, 09:14 AM
don't see much difference with pick 17 and pick 31 with eddie lacy. at the end of the day if he's selected he's selected, goes with every prospect considered for the first round.

we don't desperately need a wide receiver because we have sanders and browns. while nobody is happy with these two, a first round isn't needed.

if menendehall leaves town, that leaves us with dwyer and redman, so its obviously a position of need.

A TE because Miller has a knee injury and we don't know how he'll be when he comes back. I'm all for taking Eifert at 17, Tavon Austin or trading down and taking Lacy,Ertz or WR they really want like Woods.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-08-2013, 09:26 AM

The Difference is picking up that extra pick or two adds to the overall value. Lacy or any RB in this draft, IMHO isnt worth the 17th overall, nor is any TE. I say we DO desparately need a WR and if Patterson is there at 17 (and assuming Jones, Mingo, Ansah, Jordan etc. are all gone) thats the best value pick in my lil scenerio.

JollyRob68
03-08-2013, 10:44 AM
The Difference is picking up that extra pick or two adds to the overall value. Lacy or any RB in this draft, IMHO isnt worth the 17th overall, nor is any TE. I say we DO desparately need a WR and if Patterson is there at 17 (and assuming Jones, Mingo, Ansah, Jordan etc. are all gone) thats the best value pick in my lil scenerio.

They say the issue with Patterson is his football intelligence, it's lacking. I'd take Allen,Hopkins,Hunter and yes TE Tyler Eifert who may have the better hands than them all. Eifert is a large Redzone target that Ben's been craving. Once Miller is healed we have a better 1-2 punch than Gronk & Hernandez.

JollyRob68
03-08-2013, 10:48 AM

I dont think they'd put Jones at the buck with his kneck issue but staying at OLB shouldn't concern them. However, They could move Timmons to Buck and Jones to Mack. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a proven player thats on the team be the leader of that Defense like Timmons?

NeilPatrickBanana
03-08-2013, 10:58 AM
They say the issue with Patterson is his football intelligence, it's lacking. I'd take Allen,Hopkins,Hunter and yes TE Tyler Eifert who may have the better hands than them all. Eifert is a large Redzone target that Ben's been craving. Once Miller is healed we have a better 1-2 punch than Gronk & Hernandez.

please tell me you were just using hyperbole... and don't actually believe that a rookie and a 31 yr old veteran coming off a torn ACL would be a better TE combo than 2 of the 4 best TEs in the NFL...

Black@Gold Forever32
03-08-2013, 12:39 PM

I like Eifert and Miller is damn good but noway those two are better then Gronk and Hernandez........

coldrolled
03-08-2013, 02:10 PM
I like Eifert and Miller is damn good but noway those two are better then Gronk and Hernandez........

Why not... Gronk is always hurt... If they are better.. i'll take the second best duo with Ben at QB...

K Train
03-08-2013, 03:30 PM
KTrain trading out of the first? Say it isn't so. lol, I think The Steelers can pickup more pieces that can contribute if the move back or trade out. However it depends on who's on the board at 17.
I can also see 49ers coming up if Star L is still on the board or The Vikings coming up for Tavon Austin and trading Percy Harvin.
KTrain, Would you trade for Percy Harvin? Trade = Swap first & Steelers 3rd for #23 & Harvin plus you need to pay him.
no, id LOVE percy but he wouldnt get traded for by us...hed be a phenom in haleys offense but hes much too expensive. Id take Star in a heartbeat though, no pun intended

thats what that idiot wexell said, thats a horrible idea, jones is a 34 OLB through and through. He has the range to drop back from that position and hes comfortable enough in space, but drafting jones to play OLB in our defense is the opposite of drating timmons to play OLB in our defense...hes already built for it

i don't think hunter will be there at 48 and we don't need a center maybe a guard but i was impressed with beachum last year and i have him staring at left guard if colon is cut taylor is not my choice my 3rd round pick would be wreh -wilson to replace curtis brown who is becoming a bust
if we get a center it is strictly with intentions of moving pouncey to guard...otherwise a guard will do just fine

i love them both

Swope is like Hines with speed. I like him also.
thats a weird comparison...hes a lot like holmes after the catch, he'll be a great slant go to guy and able to work the slot

I like elam, amerson, and thomas in 2 more than i like vaccaro at 1. I dont want lacy all that much, sure if hes sitting there in 2....but i dont see the value in him as a first rounder. Bernard is the best back not named lattimore in the draft. I do think theres a chance Jones will be there, worst case scenrio is Jones, Jordan, and Mingo all being off the board which is totally possible, but then patterson, hunter, allen all come into play. Possibly star, cooper, warmack, eifert

Worilds is soooo terrible. WR is a need, haley and ben both like bigger WRs and with heath being out that leaves them with midgets, not that it couldnt work because it certainly can...just the offense is going to be better with the addition of another WR to work in early. The difference between 17 and 31 is insane, i cant believe youd say it wasnt

A TE because Miller has a knee injury and we don't know how he'll be when he comes back. I'm all for taking Eifert at 17, Tavon Austin or trading down and taking Lacy,Ertz or WR they really want like Woods.
Austin just isnt a good fit. Woods is a good player, but hunter would be better. Eifert at 17 wouldnt bother me

Ansah is a terrible fit, i would loathe that pick. I think patterson is long gone by 17 but hed be an awesome pick. I really really like mingo as a fit for our defense

K Train
03-08-2013, 03:31 PM
He played JUCO for two years, theres a transition to make but his ability is very natural. Some cuts he makes for a 6-3 WR is insane

I dont think they'd put Jones at the buck with his kneck issue but staying at OLB shouldn't concern them. However, They could move Timmons to Buck and Jones to Mack. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a proven player thats on the team be the leader of that Defense like Timmons?
Jones would not be a MLB....what a disgusting waste that would be

i think the production from the position would rival them if we had eifert and miller...it would be a nightmare. Neither are as athletic as hernandez or as gigantic as gronk but as far as pass catchers the production probably wouldnt be far off from a combined standpoint

scudmissile29
03-08-2013, 05:26 PM
I don't think so, i really don't think there's a much difference of talent after the first 12 or so picks afterwards its just them being busts or them fitting into the right team at the right time (mendenhall not, aldon smith yes).

WR isn't our biggest need, I still think it's RB because we have no viable starters. I wouldn't mind for them to look at Bush, Williams or Jackson though.

ChucktownSteeler
03-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Looking like LB in the first now.

Zachintosh66
03-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Prolly damn near a lock we resign Foote now. They have already been negotiating...

ChucktownSteeler
03-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Just saw that they aren't going to tender Sylvester. He is gone, which is a good thing. Saw a report the Steelers are targeting 3 FA linebackers.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-09-2013, 06:37 PM
He played JUCO for two years, theres a transition to make but his ability is very natural. Some cuts he makes for a 6-3 WR is insane

Jones would not be a MLB....what a disgusting waste that would be

i think the production from the position would rival them if we had eifert and miller...it would be a nightmare. Neither are as athletic as hernandez or as gigantic as gronk but as far as pass catchers the production probably wouldnt be far off from a combined standpoint

I disagree even with production.....Gronk scores 10+ TDs a year and if healthy a full season will catch 80-90 balls for 1100-1300 yards.....Miller will never match that.......Few TE's are as athletic as Hernandez since the guy really is a freak......I like Eifert and I won't have no problem if the Steelers traded down in the first and picked him......But Miller/Eifert are nowhere close to Gronk/Hernandez.........I could see Miller with 60 catches, 700 yard, 8 TD's and Eifert with 40-50 catches, 600 yards and probably could match Miller's 8 TDs.....Solid numbers no doubt but still not in the Gronk/Hernandez combo if those two play a full 16 games..........

Zachintosh66
03-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Just saw that they aren't going to tender Sylvester. He is gone, which is a good thing. Saw a report the Steelers are targeting 3 FA linebackers.

Who?

Not surprised about SS, too bad.

Where u read this?

JensK
03-09-2013, 08:53 PM

Wanna bet its 3 scrubs? :D

If anything, releasing Harrison made it perfectly obvious that we need an OLB somewhere early in the draft. We practically have nothing behind our starters with any kind of starting experience.

ChucktownSteeler
03-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Who?

Not surprised about SS, too bad.

Where u read this?

ESPN reported Steelers will or did tender McClendon, Sanders, Redman, and Dwyer. Sylvester Stevenson will not be tendered or brought back.

ChucktownSteeler
03-09-2013, 09:30 PM

If anything, releasing Harrison made it perfectly obvious that we need an OLB somewhere early in the draft. We practically have nothing behind our starters with any kind of starting experience.

They did say it was 3 under utilized linebackers.

Is there a chance they make a run at Paul Kruger?

NeilPatrickBanana
03-09-2013, 10:00 PM

I hope its Brandon Siler. Rey Maualuga, Brad Jones

Black@Gold Forever32
03-09-2013, 10:45 PM
They did say it was 3 under utilized linebackers.

Is there a chance they make a run at Paul Kruger?

would be nice but I seriously doubt it.....

cbrunn
03-10-2013, 11:13 AM
What about Antwan Barnes ?? ... He could be a good pass rusher and probably cheap

steelcitysfinestXL
03-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Ansah is a terrible fit, i would loathe that pick. I think patterson is long gone by 17 but hed be an awesome pick. I really really like mingo as a fit for our defense

Agreed w/ Ansah not being a great fit... BUT i think IF Jones was to slide to the mid rounds its going to be because teams are going to be enamered w/ that kids (Ansah) physical make up. W/ the release of Harrison i believe OLB and WR must be our top priority. I would be pretty upset with Eifert at #17. If they truely place a first round value on TE then trade back and take him.

scudmissile29
03-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Agreed w/ Ansah not being a great fit... BUT i think IF Jones was to slide to the mid rounds its going to be because teams are going to be enamered w/ that kids (Ansah) physical make up. W/ the release of Harrison i believe OLB and WR must be our top priority. I would be pretty upset with Eifert at #17. If they truely place a first round value on TE then trade back and take him.

i think RB and OLB for round 1.

If we go WR or RB trade back.

I really like Mingo and Eric Reid

K Train
03-11-2013, 10:18 AM
eric reid is a name and a program pedigree, hes pretty terrible

steelcitysfinestXL
03-11-2013, 10:31 AM
i think RB and OLB for round 1.

If we go WR or RB trade back.

I really like Mingo and Eric Reid

Patterson is the only WR i like at #17... I'd rather go with another WR in the 2nd-3rd then to take Allen. Trading back may be the best option for this team if a top tier guy doesnt slide. Trading to the 31 spot with a team like the 49ers who i believe has a few 2nds rounders opens up a lot of options. I think guys like Richardson-DE and Cooper-OG would be great value picks that MAY be available at 17. IMO, those are 2 guys the Steelers may draft on BPA standards even though they dont fills positions of immediate need.

At #31 i think the talent and value of some of the players mentioned here meet the teams needs.
Players i see good value at #31 if we traded back. Im NOT saying i believe they will be there, this is more the value i place on them to fill the steelers needs (in no particular order):

Eifert- TE
Lacy- RB
Moore- as an OLB
Vaccaro- SS/FS Like I said this is value to the steelers, not to other teams. He wont last that long IMHO!
Rhodes- CB (^see above^)

coldrolled
03-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Patterson is the only WR i like at #17... I'd rather go with another WR in the 2nd-3rd then to take Allen. Trading back may be the best option for this team if a top tier guy doesnt slide. Trading to the 31 spot with a team like the 49ers who i believe has a few 2nds rounders opens up a lot of options. I think guys like Richardson-DE and Cooper-OG would be great value picks that MAY be available at 17. IMO, those are 2 guys the Steelers may draft on BPA standards even though they dont fills positions of immediate need.

At #31 i think the talent and value of some of the players mentioned here meet the teams needs.
Players i see good value at #31 if we traded back. Im NOT saying i believe they will be there, this is more the value i place on them to fill the steelers needs (in no particular order):

Eifert- TE
Lacy- RB
Moore- as an OLB
Vaccaro- SS/FS Like I said this is value to the steelers, not to other teams. He wont last that long IMHO!
Rhodes- CB (^see above^)

Eifert goes before 24... If we trade back and get a TE we end up with Ertz...

Screw trading back.. Get the Best #1 TE and regroup from there..

scudmissile29
03-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Eifert- TE
Lacy- RB
Moore- as an OLB
Rhodes- CB (^see above^)

lacy could be gone by 31,

i would settle at 20 for alcy, **** i would settle at 17 for lacy.

mingo isn't worth trading up for (we dont have the luxury this year with so many holes)

K Train
03-12-2013, 12:21 AM
mingo and jordan definitely would be worth trading up for. so would patterson

Real Deal Steel
03-12-2013, 10:49 AM
K-Train, Patterson is a project. He doesn't run good routes and he has trouble with the jam. As much as we talked about route running with Brown and Wallace, I don't think Patterson is that great.

I've seen three mock drafts and all of them have the Ravens taking Justin Hunter with the 32nd pick. :(

Hunter is the big, sure handed WR that we need to compliment the Brown and Sanders.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-12-2013, 11:05 AM

Agreed.

This is a year to trade up. Would be very disappointed if all of the following were off the board at 17
Jordan, mingo, milliner, Patterson, Rhodes, jones, Allen

And we are left drafting OG or S that we don't NEED... Or turning to Eifert as best playmaker on the board

scudmissile29
03-12-2013, 11:44 AM

not the year to trade up for.

get out of your head that we are going to have amazing pass rushers on the outside, it rarely happens -- usually only one is good, we were gifted the past 5 years.

K Train
03-12-2013, 11:48 AM
K-Train, Patterson is a project. He doesn't run good routes and he has trouble with the jam. As much as we talked about route running with Brown and Wallace, I don't think Patterson is that great.

I've seen three mock drafts and all of them have the Ravens taking Justin Hunter with the 32nd pick. :(

Hunter is the big, sure handed WR that we need to compliment the Brown and Sanders.

theres very few players that i wouldnt consider projects.

Patterson is definitely a project, but his upside is unreal. He is a guy that is going to get points on the board as a rookie. Hes percy harvin in Josh Gordans body...ive watched a lot of him the last week especially and thats the only way i can really describe him physically. Unreal cuts and shiftiness for a guy that big....kind of after the catch ability that guys like DHB, gordon, mike wallace, and torrey smith just didnt even come close to having with their size/speed.

I like hunter too, hes a great athlete, but hes also unpolished and lacks concentration sometimes and has been known to take plays off. Hunter may be the better pro i think, which is why im not opposed to him even at 17 but definitely as a second round pick, but theres a chance of patterson being a top 5 caliber guy so you roll the dice on him if hes there.

I really liked josh gordon last year, he came on strong for the browns in the second half of the season after not playing for 2 years, patterson is a juco transfer...so was Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, deion branch, and javon walker. We talking guys that quickly made the jump from JUCO to be productive FBS players and ultimately high-ish draft picks and very polished players. If they can make the transition from JUCO to D-1 i think thats the biggest hurdle where most players fail, Patterson and the guys listed above make that transition smoothly and seem to be easier to refine players than guys like sweed, malcolm kelly, and dwayne jarrett who were so used to being men among boys in college that the pros were too much for them

Id say his floor is Braylon Edwards, but his ceiling is ridiculous

JensK
03-12-2013, 12:59 PM
It'll be very interesting how this draft pans out in terms of the WRs. There are probably 4 WRs I'd be ok with in the first round (Patterson, Allen, Hopkins and Hunter ((the two latter not at 17 though). Both Patterson and Allen could potentially be gone before 17, but a lot will depend on how highly the pass rushers are evaluated by the teams; a lot of teams could very well be intrigued by the passrushers which inevitably will cause the WRs to slide slightly - or the other way around. Either way, good chance that one of the better talents will fall to us at either position. At this point I doubt Patterson and Dion Jordan will. Allen could easily be there, and guys like Mingo and Jones could fall as well for various reasons.