PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger now 31

scudmissile29
03-02-2013, 09:33 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG BEN!!!

Roethlisberger has given us 8 wonderful seasons, every four seasons he wins a Super Bowl, I think he retires at 35, so by that he has one more chance of a Super Bowl win.

Four Super Bowl appearances in a 13 year career doesn't sound too shabby.

Easily the best quarterback ever in the AFC North, and people with intelligence would agree, if they know what I mean by this. Probably gave it away by now LOL.

http://i.cnn.net/si/2004/football/nfl/specials/draft/2004/04/24/luft.roethlisberger/p1_roethlisberger_draftday.jpg

http://c10674700.r0.cf2.rackcdn.com/03-16-58_touchdown_original.jpg

http://cdn.steelersgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Ben-Roethlisberger.jpg

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Sports/images-3/ben-roethlisberger-superbowl.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/peter_king/02/10/mailbag/big-ben.jpg

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Ben+Roethlisberger+Kurt+Warner+Super+Bowl+ScaC5La1 wIul.jpg

gameface
03-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Happy birthday Ben!!

cmerrifield
03-02-2013, 12:38 PM
He is 31 today.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

scudmissile29
03-02-2013, 12:51 PM
@cmerrifield, yeah mod needs to change my thread title lol

how could i not do the math of 82 and 13 :S thats not going to be a 0 LOL

Black@Gold Forever32
03-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Nice thread Flame, especially since some of our fans still don't appreciate Big Ben..........The fans on this site that are stroking Flacco need to join a Ravens site where they can jack-off to Flacco's Super Bowl win........

LatrobePA
03-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Jack off, couple of my favorite words. Thanks for lifting my day on a cold snowy **** storm here in Ohio! lol

PS: F Flacco!

scudmissile29
03-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Nice thread Flame, especially since some of our fans still don't appreciate Big Ben..........The fans on this site that are stroking Flacco need to join a Ravens site where they can jack-off to Flacco's Super Bowl win........

thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-3lIHIyXLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVThXCZqHBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qNwQZj2348

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbdoOeiUUm8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Pzi8HPWBA

coldrolled
03-02-2013, 04:51 PM
We need to keep building the O through the draft. Ben needs players now.. Warmack-Cooper-Eifert round#1

Wheaton- Woods somewhere.

Taylor - Ball somewhere.

Vance McDonald id Eifert is not picked.

Get defense between these players.....

BstripeYpaint
03-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Happy birthday Ben; you're the best.

steelchamp204
03-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Well, he has about 4 more great seasons left in the tank, it's time to win now again.

Real Deal Steel
03-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Yeah..it is time to win now. We need to settle that RB position once and for all. Balance out the offense and take pressure off of Ben.

ChucktownSteeler
03-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Well, he has about 4 more great seasons left in the tank, it's time to win now again.

Ben is 31. How old is Brady and Manning? How about Breees? They seem to be a lot older than Ben and are still playing well.

TarlsQtr
03-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Ben is 31. How old is Brady and Manning? How about Breees? They seem to be a lot older than Ben and are still playing well.

True, but they are upright a lot more than Ben. He could definitely be effective for more than 4 years but only if they get that protection figured out. If he continues to run for his life, even four more years is a pipe dream.

steelchamp204
03-04-2013, 07:53 PM

I agree, but Ben has taken a far worse punishment than the ones that you mentioned. His body won't withstand another 6-8 seasons. Brady had the knee issue, Manning the neck and Brees seems to be upright a lot and hardly ever injured. You can blame Ben for his gameplay, but he has not really had a good line in a number of years.

connecticutsteel
03-04-2013, 11:36 PM
if the o-line lives up to there billing he could play til 41

LatrobePA
03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
if the o-line lives up to there billing he could play til 41

If he'd learn to throw the ball away he could play until 70! lol

Goodfrom55
03-05-2013, 05:31 PM
I tend to be a little more optimistic regarding Ben's time left. Factoring in improvement in the O-line, and SOME type of running game, I say Ben plays anywhere from 6-8 more seasons.

SuperSteelers
03-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Ben wearing a Cardinals pin in that photo. Sellout!

SuperSteelers
03-05-2013, 10:09 PM
thanks

To bad we are going to live vicariously through those videos for awhile because I don't think the Steelers will be very good at all for a few seasons.

chisteeler
03-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Ben admits to injuries hampering performance...read article below...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147315/article/ben-roethlisberger-injuries-damaged-my-confidence

LatrobePA
03-06-2013, 11:13 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147315/article/ben-roethlisberger-injuries-damaged-my-confidence

But yet people out here will still flame you for mentioning this! Ridiculous how much they defend him even when he admits to not being good! Hey Ben it's the same old song and dance bro, live to play another down, throw the ball away once in a while so we can get back to the promise land. The alternative to Ben sucks!!

Crash
03-06-2013, 03:13 PM
And like I said, the minute Ben starts throwing the ball away from the pocket and taking grounding penalties people bitch.

You want Ben upright?

VALUE HIM.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 03:51 PM

don't tell Crash

Crash
03-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Where in that article did Ben say he lacked confidence?

He sure looked pretty confident when he shredded Dallas for four quarters.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Where in that article did Ben say he lacked confidence?

He sure looked pretty confident when he shredded Dallas for four quarters.

he pretty much confirmed what you've denied... he lost that Dallas game because he didn't have enough arm strength due to injury.

and it's right there in the 2nd paragraph, turn off your bias filter and maybe you'd recognize it

" I didn't trust myself to get enough zip on it to throw it out there."

Not trusting yourself = lack of confidence

Crash
03-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Yeah that 60 yard pass to Wallace in that same game. What a lolly pop.

That pick had nothing to do with arm strength. It was inaccurate.

If you mouth breathers would pay attention, you would realize he's ALWAYS had trouble making that throw to his right.

Crash
03-06-2013, 04:18 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000107910/Wallace-40-yard-touchdown

No arm there either?

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Sorry, sometimes I forget that you don't know much about football. It takes far less arm strength to throw a pass vertically on a huge arc, than it does to put the strength behind the release of a rope that travels over 25 yards on a 10-12 yard out.

That pick had nothing to do with arm strength. It was inaccurate.

wow... you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. It's the lack of arm strength, that disrupts the arrival of the ball, leading to the WR further into his route, and the ball being behind. that pick had 100% everything to do with arm strength

If you mouth breathers would pay attention, you would realize he's ALWAYS had trouble making that throw to his right.

it's one of the most basic, and foundational throws an NFL QB needs to be able to make. guys who have trouble with that throw don't get drafted.

honestly, watching you talk yourself into an even stupider position, when the QB came out and all but refuted your position, is quite hillarious.

but i do understand your need to refute it... it pretty much sinks your entire play calling argument from those games.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 04:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000107910/Wallace-40-yard-touchdown

No arm there either?

You don't have to continue to demonstrate your lack of understanding of arm strength... it's not necessary. Ben just flat out said he didn't have the arm strength, why are you refuting his own words?

oh right, because you have to keep every falsehood that you've built your conspiracy theory on in place.

Crash
03-06-2013, 04:28 PM
but i do understand your need to refute it... it pretty much sinks your entire play calling argument from those games.

Actually it doesn't. If anything it PROVES how incompetent Haley is if indeed Ben was hampered.

If Ben's arm was an issue, why on Earth are we throwing from our own 11 yard line with under a minute to play in regulation?

Wouldn't a smart OC, go to OT, and maybe just maybe, the defense that forced three turnovers on the day can get #4?

So we'll hand off all dasy in GOOD field position, but then we'll let the dead armed QB throw from his own 11 with a minute to go.

Sheer brilliance from the golf coaching Yinzer.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 04:34 PM
are you going to delete your dumb comments about throwing vertical being relevant to arm strength? or are you going to leave it on your resume?

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Actually it doesn't. If anything it PROVES how incompetent Haley is if indeed Ben was hampered.

If Ben's arm was an issue, why on Earth are we throwing from our own 11 yard line with under a minute to play in regulation?

Wouldn't a smart OC, go to OT, and maybe just maybe, the defense that forced three turnovers on the day can get #4?

So we'll hand off all dasy in GOOD field position, but then we'll let the dead armed QB throw from his own 11 with a minute to go.

i don't disagree with the criticism of that play call

but the flip side of that criticism, is you can't criticize the run calls

Crash
03-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Are you going to delete your dumb comments about Haley KNOWING about Ben's lack of arm strength? Or are you going to continue to give that idiot a free pass?

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Are you going to delete your dumb comments about Haley KNOWING about Ben's lack of arm strength? Or are you going to continue to give that idiot a free pass?

im going to continue to have a rational viewpoint, and not try to fit everything into an all encompassing conspiracy theory

Crash
03-06-2013, 04:41 PM
No theory at all.

Haley's a moron, he was a moron all season.

8-8.

When he goes, the winning comes back.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 04:46 PM
No theory at all.

Haley's a moron, he was a moron all season.

8-8.

When he goes, the winning comes back.

what about Art? I thought he was the guy who was leading the team in the wrong direction. Surely, even with a new OC, Art would still be steering the Steelers in the wrong direction right?
(keep your conspiracy theory straight)

It's truly idiotic to really believe that the OC, who in his first year had Ben playing the best football of his career, is this big, huge problem.

Crash
03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Ben was better in 2007.

He was also better in 2009.

Turning Ben into 1998-1999 Kordell Stewart? 8-8.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Ben was better in 2007.

provide 2007 season statistics
provide 2012 season statistics prior to injury (and prorate)

He was also better in 2009.

provide 2009 season statistics

Turning Ben into 1998-1999 Kordell Stewart? 8-8.

provide 1998-1999 season statistics

YPG
TD/INT ratio
TDPG
Comp%
Conv%
WPA
EPA
QB Rating
QBR

Crash
03-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Wait a minute, the STATS in regulation in Dallas support ME.

But somehow Ben didn't have arm strength?

Turning Ben into this dink and dunk "game manager" isn't worth the money we are paying him.

If this is the offense that we intend to keep running? Then do Ben a favor and send him to Arians.

Because this offense, isn't going to win anything.

PS. QBR means nothing to me.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 05:22 PM
instead of side stepping into one of your boring tropes that we've heard a thousand times... why don't you back up your claim, with statistical evidence...

or did you think talking out of your *** was enough?

Speeed
03-06-2013, 05:23 PM
I think we can all agree as he has matured, learned the nuance of being an NFL QB, and just plain improved his game through experience, and the opportunity for the franchise to build a team around him, he was injured more and more. Imagine if he had missed zero games in the last 5 years like the newly anointed Joe Flacco. His numbers would be even better than they are.

The fact is I bet in the last 3-4 years he has played injured (and coming back from injury requires acclamation) more than any other QB in the league. And we are not talking a bottom shelf QB here - he could have had a modest increase in stats. We can argue all we want, but he has had a unique history. Brees, Flacco, Rogers, and company play week after week year after year honing their game. Roethlisberger seems to be injured and returning from injuries (and legal issues, I don't want to debate those, but a factor non-the-less) constantly.

Sigh ...... I can only imagine his achievements had he been uninjured and out of court......

Crash
03-06-2013, 05:33 PM
He'll never pull up big stats consistently when running the ball is mandated by ownership.

Crash
03-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Stats aren't everything.

If they were Philip Rivers would be All Pro every year.

You don't watch football. My guess is you read box scores.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 05:36 PM
and back to the conspiracy theory that's been disproven
(we ran the ball less under haley, than in any of the last 10 years)

Crash
03-06-2013, 05:39 PM
And how many were at the end of halves or games?

The play-calling was a joke all year. Predictable, stale, repetitive.

The Chiefs knew what we were running BEFORE Ben even called the play.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 05:41 PM
He'll never pull up big stats consistently when running the ball is mandated by ownership.

on pace for 4400 yard/30+ TD season before injury

Crash
03-06-2013, 05:46 PM
on pace for 4400 yard/30+ TD season before injury

And as soon as we get a lead in the 4th? We run the ball.

It used to be pass early, run late.

Now it's run early, hope we get a lead, then when it doesn't happen it's Ben save us in the 4th damn you!

All because we are more worried about defense rankings than winning football games.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 05:49 PM

It used to be pass early, run late.

Now it's run early, hope we get a lead, then when it doesn't happen it's Ben save us in the 4th damn you!

All because we are more worried about defense rankings than winning football games.

i can see why you don't like statistics... since none of them support your delusion

you've never put in the time to research your beliefs...

you're lazy

Crash
03-06-2013, 05:51 PM
The play-calling does.

Turned the modern day Terry Bradshaw into Trent Dilfer.

The Rooney's have to be THRILLED that Wallace turned down 5 years $55 mil if it's true.

Because in this offense? Paying that to Mike Wallace is silly.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 05:54 PM
The play-calling does.

Turned the modern day Terry Bradshaw into Trent Dilfer.

The Rooney's have to be THRILLED that Wallace turned down 5 years $55 mil if it's true.

Because in this offense? Paying that to Mike Wallace is silly.

the playcalling argument has been refuted with stats, and you've brought nothing to the table to debate further
and here you go, back to your standard crazy person talking points. quick, get to the 50 yard line one...

you may be trolling... but i enjoy it

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
21st in Run as percent of plays called
12th in Pass as percent of plays called
40.27 percent of plays called were RUN
59.23 percent of plays called were PASS

The PASS was a higher percent of our offense, than at any point in the last 10 years

You know those handful of series that stand out in your mind, and frustrate you because we ran on 1st and 2nd down.... well, those handful of series do not constitute an entire offense. You are looking at a fraction of a fraction of a percent of play calls.

The Steelers called more PASS plays as a percent of plays called than the Green Bay Packers, Denver Bronocos, New England Patriots, New York Giants.

The only playoff team that threw the ball more often than the Steelers... was Atlanta

If you prorate Roethlisbergers Pass Plays over the time he missed (575 attempts), he would've thrown the 8th most passes in the league... only a few behind Peyton (583), and a few ahead of Rodgers (552)

You are wrong if you think any of the following :
- The Steelers were a run first team in 2012
- The Steelers emphasized the run over the pass in 2012
- Haley turned the Steelers into a run first team

This isn't a debate. You can either accept the facts, or bury your head back in your false belief.

Crash
03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
What stats? How about Yards per attempt?

Notice how that one doesn't get mentioned here?

Why? You know why.

You just don't have the balls to admit it.

Turned Ben into Dilfer, and Mike Wallace into Courtney Hawkins.

Haley proved just how much he doesn't value his QB when he left Plax in street clothes in Dallas and against Cincy so his boy Leonard Pope culd play on the field goal team.

Crash
03-06-2013, 06:07 PM
PS......BEFORE Ben was injured he ranked 28th in the NFL in length per pass.

Speeed
03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
True, they are not. But are stats not the basis for every single decision made in the NFL? Or any other professional sport from recruitment, play calling, combine, rule changes, contract negations, and even gasp . . . . the Hall of Fame?

I think I changed my mind, they are everything. Stats are empirical. They can be analyzed (and skewed) and used to make predictions. Baseball is the most offensive offender. Baseball statisticians are from another dimension.

As for Philip Rivers, he is missing the most important stat of all regarding NFL QB's. So, yes, stats are important.

Stats aren't everything.

If they were Philip Rivers would be All Pro every year.

You don't watch football. My guess is you read box scores.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Let it be recognized that when confronted with facts, Crash must deviate from one false belief to a different topic

a lower YPA is a completely different argument

2012 Steelers
YPA 7.0
2012 Super Bowl Champs
YPA 7.1

And while I would prefer a higher YPA (because YPA "generally" correlates to winning very well) I can also understand it in 2 different contexts
1. We installed a brand new offense
2. A lower YPA correlates directly to our very high 3rd down conversion %

This offense needs to score more... and I expect it to in a 2nd season of experience in the system, and year of maturing and learning from our very young offensive line, and hopefully adding more skill to the RB position

LatrobePA
03-06-2013, 06:52 PM
All this typing of BS and stats, the fn guy was hurt and couldn't make the throws, he admitted to it! Get over it people!!

Crash
03-06-2013, 07:07 PM
2012 Steelers
YPA 7.0
2012 Super Bowl Champs
YPA 7.1

Lovely. But if we are going to pay Ben to hand off and dump off to running backs all year? Trade him.

Not worth the cost.

You can pay Matt Cassell $3 mil a year to do the same thing.

BubbyBlister
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM
All this typing of BS and stats, the fn guy was hurt and couldn't make the throws, he admitted to it! Get over it people!! There lies the problem he has been hurt the last two season towards the later half. Why we didn't go far in the playoffs in 2011 and didn't make it in 12. I think we should go OL early one more time in this draft and then you got a good enough line to protect him the rest of his career.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Lovely. But if we are going to pay Ben to hand off and dump off to running backs all year? Trade him.

Not worth the cost.

You can pay Matt Cassell $3 mil a year to do the same thing.

disproven
try again

Crash
03-06-2013, 07:25 PM
disproven
try again

Actually it was proven. The Ravens never went anywhere with their dink and dunk offense. In fact, their 2012 regular season offense was so successful they fired their OC.

Then Jim Caldwell unleashed Joe Flacco and the deep ball when he took over.

They won the Super Bowl, and Flacco's yards per attempt in this post season was a robust 9.05

You lose.

Real Deal Steel
03-06-2013, 07:54 PM
There lies the problem he has been hurt the last two season towards the later half. Why we didn't go far in the playoffs in 2011 and didn't make it in 12. I think we should go OL early one more time in this draft and then you got a good enough line to protect him the rest of his career.

hell of an argument your making for taking Womack if he's there.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Actually it was proven. The Ravens never went anywhere with their dink and dunk offense. In fact, their 2012 regular season offense was so successful they fired their OC.

Then Jim Caldwell unleashed Joe Flacco and the deep ball when he took over.

They won the Super Bowl, and Flacco's yards per attempt in this post season was a robust 9.05

You lose.

wrong argument.
your argument about running and dumping off is incorrect as proven by running stats.

Crash
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
WR screens are glorified running plays because we don't run wide.

But like I said, until Haley goes and the next OC is allowed to do what he wants, we won't win.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-06-2013, 09:17 PM

But like I said, until Haley goes and the next OC is allowed to do what he wants, we won't win.

nice addition to your previous statement, this of course is to account for the Rooney conspiracy. nice

BubbyBlister
03-06-2013, 09:24 PM
hell of an argument your making for taking Womack if he's there. Thanks and if he is still there when they pick it would be a no brainer to me.

Crash
03-06-2013, 10:53 PM
nice addition to your previous statement, this of course is to account for the Rooney conspiracy. nice

Rooney fired BA and hired Haley.

Tomlin should be the one making those decisions.

If Art wants to be the coach? Grab a head set.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-07-2013, 12:54 AM

if the implication is that Rooney is dictating, and the OC can't do what he wants... then why do you blame Haley?

your story is swiss cheese stupid

Crash
03-07-2013, 01:06 AM
if the implication is that Rooney is dictating, and the OC can't do what he wants... then why do you blame Haley?

For being a hen-pecked puppet.

He should have had the balls to tell Art then, and most certainly NOW, that this BS caveman way of thinking does not work in Roger Goodell's NFL.

coldrolled
03-07-2013, 12:02 PM
For being a hen-pecked puppet.

He should have had the balls to tell Art then, and most certainly NOW, that this BS caveman way of thinking does not work in Roger Goodell's NFL.

Wow... If we can field a full team without injuries, adjust the OL a bit, give ben a chance to scan the field right to left and back to right before getting clobbered, ben will destroy any team. then add the bonus of redman and dwyer getting into a play action rythm with ben and forget about it. haley will look like a godsend...
toss will johnson in on a few anti blitz plays and we have an offense...

Then have Harrison / Woodley play 30 games at 90% and we have a defense...

done.. adjust with the draft... BPA build depth...

we will win....

DBR96A
03-09-2013, 08:36 AM

That pass was terribly underthrown. Mike Wallace had two DBs beat deep, and they both caught up with him when he damn near had to stop to catch the ball.

Yinzers aren't from suburbs with six-figure median household incomes.

If Todd Haley knew about Roethlisberger's arm strength being a problem, then that explains why he called more running plays after Roethlisberger returned from his injury.

Wait a minute, the STATS in regulation in Dallas support ME.

But somehow Ben didn't have arm strength?

QBs who lack arm strength aren't going to underthrow every pass. They just won't be consistently accurate with the ball more than 10 yards downfield. Witness the terribly-underthrown deep TD pass to Mike Wallace. Witness also Peyton Manning's debacle against the Falcons early last season when his arm was at its weakest. And if their lack of arm strength is the result of an injury, then it's bound to fatigue faster as well.

Only when the game is a blowout.

Crash
03-09-2013, 12:38 PM
If Todd Haley knew about Roethlisberger's arm strength being a problem, then that explains why he called more running plays after Roethlisberger returned from his injury.

Then why was Ben throwing from his own 11 yard line with under a minute in the same game vs. the Bengals?

You guys can't have it both ways. Haley ****ed up somewhere, you can decide which.

Ben threw that pass 60 yards in the air to Wallace. I'd say that's about his limit.

Only when the game is a blowout.

Oh really?

You want to rethink that? Because even when Arians was the OC often the Steelers tried to rely on their defense and run game to close games out even with a short lead.