PDA

View Full Version : RB is our biggest need (opinion)

scudmissile29
03-01-2013, 04:24 PM
OL, don't need it, if they remain healthy, they are a pretty good group of guys on paper *cough* where is the fag conditioning coach that never conditions them properly?
DL, well, we could go there but unless Mingo falls to us I don't see picking him
DT, well we could go here but McClendon is our guy for the future IMO so we can skip this.
cb, IF we resign lewis, we don't need
S, we need but nothing really in the first rounds that distinguish itself apart from rnds 2-3
QB lol, lets draft geno smith
WR, we may have a need here, I think so but again, I think we can grab a wide receiver in the later rounds, no crabtree or calvin johnson in round 1 here (coby hamilton anyone?)
olb, well Worilds is a 2nd rounder so we have to see him start, not fill in for deebo. I would bench harrison and see what worilds has this season before moving on.

RB: well dywer isn't the full load and mendenhall's getting the boot.

so I think RB is the biggest need, they were awful last year and although we have "flaws" all over the team, I think RB is the one we need to address.

So Yes I would pick Lacy at 17, before the Bengals, Broncos or Falcons can get him.

Or, maybe we trade with two of the three teams here for extra picks so they can grab a RB.

I also like Ellington.

Don't want Lattimore because of his injury neither jarvis jones. Another draft if we had a successful season yes but not when we see the rats win the super bowl

K Train
03-01-2013, 06:40 PM
WR is a much bigger need...i wouldnt hate coming away with a RB and WR in the first 2 rounds...we do need pass rushers but something like:

Lacy
Hunter
Lemonier

would be nice

Or:

Patterson/Allen/Hopkins
Bernard
Brandon Jenkins

Jarvis Jones
Terrence Williams
Stepfan Taylor

Barkevious Mingo
Robert Woods
Montee Ball

a lot of scenerios could play out. Im loving the thought of Justin Hunter lately though

scudmissile29
03-01-2013, 06:48 PM
I don't really like any of the wide receivers this year :S, especially not in the first round even though I wanted one back a month or so ago.

Has to be a safety or Rb in round 1. Would like a shot at Mingo though lol

K Train
03-01-2013, 07:25 PM
im loving some WRs this year. You dont need to draft calvin johnson for a WR to be worth drafting high, fact is the aerial attack needs to improve and while the running game certainly needs an upgrade, its not nearly as important

Justin Hunter is currently my favorite for round 2.....Patterson and Allen are good picks in round 2. I dont really want austin or any smurf WRs.

I think drafting a big WR and then Denard Robinson later would be great...robinsons best position is clearly RB, but hes got WR ability similar to Harvin and has legit QB skills superior to guys like randel el, ward, matt jones, brad smith, joe webb, and pat white. He would be an asset

JollyRob68
03-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Justin Hunter is currently my favorite for round 2.....Patterson and Allen are good picks in round 2. I dont really want austin or any smurf WRs.

Wouldn't Austin Excel in the New Blocking Scheme? He reminds me of Randle El and would do better than what they tried to do with Raine. I think they'll draft two WR and Austin plus a bigger WR like Da'Rick Rogers,Marquess Wilson or MArk Harrison.
I have a feeling that The 49ers are going after some RFA's with some of those 15 picks and Emanuel SAnders is very attractive for a 3rd round pick. The 49ers are losing TEd Ginn jr, Manningham was hurt & Moss is older.
WHat do you think KTrain?

Zachintosh66
03-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Its hard to disagree... were mediocre at RB and have no clear cut #1 WR. I think WR #1 is more of a crap shoot tho.

Top 2 Guards would be hard to pass if still on the board.

At some point we HAVE to get younger on defense as well. Some would argue at almost every position.

K Train
03-01-2013, 09:46 PM
WR is a crap shoot you have to take sometimes, one we did with holmes and despite the early woes and late shenanigans i think its safe to say it was a gamble that paid off

ChucktownSteeler
03-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Its hard to disagree... were mediocre at RB and have no clear cut #1 WR. I think WR #1 is more of a crap shoot tho.

Top 2 Guards would be hard to pass if still on the board.

At some point we HAVE to get younger on defense as well. Some would argue at almost every position.
Good point, I brought that up a while ago. You could almost argue a case for every position. If the right LB is there I think we go in that direction. If not I think it will be Cooper.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-02-2013, 01:09 PM
WR is a crap shoot you have to take sometimes, one we did with holmes and despite the early woes and late shenanigans i think its safe to say it was a gamble that paid off

Holmes paid off big time since he helped bring home a Lombardi.......Holmes had a great post season run while scoring a TD in each post season game....I also think he was the only offensive player to score a TD against the Ravens in 2008 (including post-season).........Its a shame he didn't retire a Steeler and at onetime Santonio Holmes was the most dangerous WR after the catch in the NFL......

Big T
03-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Holmes paid off big time since he helped bring home a Lombardi.......Holmes had a great post season run while scoring a TD in each post season game....I also think he was the only offensive player to score a TD against the Ravens in 2008 (including post-season).........Its a shame he didn't retire a Steeler and at onetime Santonio Holmes was the most dangerous WR after the catch in the NFL......

He was one of my favorite players. He was a bit of a f*ck but I loved me some Santonio Holmes (no homo)... I miss that pothead.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-02-2013, 01:51 PM
WR is a bigger need than RB
Pass Rusher is a bigger need than RB
Cover Corner is a bigger need than RB (Assuming Lewis is not signed)

drafting RB with the #17 overall pick would be incredibly foolish. RB is the easiest position to fill late in the draft and inexpensively in free agency.

There are no elite RBs in this draft (lattimore was the only thing close). Lacy is massively overrated around here (suggesting using the #17 pick on him is crazy.

There will be good RB prospects we can look at in the 3rd/4th/5th round range.
I'll take Jonathan Franklin, perfect fit in the zone scheme we are moving to.

K Train
03-02-2013, 02:03 PM
they dont have to be elite to be worth a first round pick, and i do like lacy....but hes hardly worth 17. People want him to be lattimore but he really isnt, he might be the biggest benficiary of lattimore going down.

i like bernard and taylor as 2nd round picks way more than lacy as a #1

Black@Gold Forever32
03-02-2013, 02:25 PM
they dont have to be elite to be worth a first round pick, and i do like lacy....but hes hardly worth 17. People want him to be lattimore but he really isnt, he might be the biggest benficiary of lattimore going down.

I like Lacy but I agree with you and I wouldn't want the Steelers to take him at 17 or even in the first round.....Lacy in the 2nd would be great......I really like Bernard and Taylor was productive at Stanford........

coldrolled
03-02-2013, 03:47 PM
WR is a bigger need than RB
Pass Rusher is a bigger need than RB
Cover Corner is a bigger need than RB (Assuming Lewis is not signed)

drafting RB with the #17 overall pick would be incredibly foolish. RB is the easiest position to fill late in the draft and inexpensively in free agency.

There are no elite RBs in this draft (lattimore was the only thing close). Lacy is massively overrated around here (suggesting using the #17 pick on him is crazy.

There will be good RB prospects we can look at in the 3rd/4th/5th round range.
I'll take Jonathan Franklin, perfect fit in the zone scheme we are moving to.

Who is the TE if Miller is out a while?
Who is the ILB if Timmons gets hurt?

These would seem most pressing i think...

K Train
03-02-2013, 04:05 PM
I do think that Paulsen has some promising skills, he was a rookie last year and he didnt really impress but he has the skills to be a productive option. I do hope if they dont draft a TE (Eifert in 1 or Jordan reed in 3 are my guys) that they would bring back Saunders who i think is an awesome player and would really bring a lot to the table in a ZBS as he blocks his *** off on every play

coldrolled
03-02-2013, 04:47 PM
I do think that Paulsen has some promising skills, he was a rookie last year and he didnt really impress but he has the skills to be a productive option. I do hope if they dont draft a TE (Eifert in 1 or Jordan reed in 3 are my guys) that they would bring back Saunders who i think is an awesome player and would really bring a lot to the table in a ZBS as he blocks his *** off on every play

CBS had this on Eifert... COMPARES TO: Heath Miller, TE, Steelers - While more athletic than Miller, Eifert has a similar skill-set with his ability to make tough catches in tight spaces, winning one-on-one situations. Also has the speed to be a threat vertically or down the seam.

JollyRob68
03-02-2013, 07:29 PM

I like Paulsen, Isn't Sanders signed in Indy? If not he'd go to Cardinals to be with Arians.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-02-2013, 10:00 PM

they do need to be elite... otherwise using a 1st on a RB is foolish. Most RBs are the product of the line in front of them. Lacy is a perfect example

NeilPatrickBanana
03-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Who is the TE if Miller is out a while?
Who is the ILB if Timmons gets hurt?

These would seem most pressing i think...

I think there are plenty of affordable options in free agency, as well as a deep TE class that doesn't require the investment of a 1st round pick in the positions

As far as your Timmons question... I don't really think they hypothetical justifies a first round pick. Should we draft Matt Barkley in the 1st? What happens if Roethlisberger gets injured?

If we don't draft a pass rusher, a pass defender (DB), or a playmaking pass catcher, I'll be shocked.

K Train
03-03-2013, 11:10 AM
they do need to be elite... otherwise using a 1st on a RB is foolish. Most RBs are the product of the line in front of them. Lacy is a perfect example

so you think chris johnson, jon stewart, felix jones, mendenhall, beanie wells, deangelo williams, laurence maroney, slowshon moreno were elite prospects? They were definitely first round worthy without being elite, the term elite is going to mean nothing soon since its thrown around like nothing. Elite means best of like the last 5 years or something along those lines. Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson, Darren Mcfadden, and trent richardson were the elite guys.

RB isnt quite as easy to fill as you make it seem...while i would tend to agree that the second round seems to be the money round as far as talent/value ratio goes...charles, forte, mccoy, rice, ect....its not like every UDFA is just a plug and play guy like people make it seem, the position hasnt become THAT undervalued

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Laurence Maroney or Santonio Holmes, Jonathan Joseph, Nick Mangold
Joseph Addai or Greg Jennings, Ryan Cook, Andrew Whitworth
Jon Stewart or Joe Flacco, Branden Albert, Duane Brown, Rodgers-Cromartie
Felix Jones or well, anyone
Rashard Mendenhall or Duane Brown, Antoine Cason, Jordy Nelson
Knowshon Moreno or Brian Orakpo, Percy Harvin, Michael Oher, Clay Matthews, Hakeem Nicks
Donald Brown or Hakeem Nicks, Eric Wood, Kenny Britt
Beanie Wells or Jairus Byrd, Connor Barwin, Andy Levitre, Max Unger

Drafting a RB in the first round will almost always fail the BPA test in hindsight

I don't think the guys you listed were first round worthy just because they were drafted in the 1st.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 12:46 PM
I'd like to draft a RB this year in the 3rd-4th, and I'd like to see multiple UDFA brought in to camp, AND I'd like to pursue some cost effective options in free agency. I believe in having a stable of capable backs, and as our young line gels, I'd be looking to see which one steps up.

I would be furious if we wasted a 1st on a RB this year

K Train
03-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Laurence Maroney or Santonio Holmes, Jonathan Joseph, Nick Mangold
Joseph Addai or Greg Jennings, Ryan Cook, Andrew Whitworth
Jon Stewart or Joe Flacco, Branden Albert, Duane Brown, Rodgers-Cromartie
Felix Jones or well, anyone
Rashard Mendenhall or Duane Brown, Antoine Cason, Jordy Nelson
Knowshon Moreno or Brian Orakpo, Percy Harvin, Michael Oher, Clay Matthews, Hakeem Nicks
Donald Brown or Hakeem Nicks, Eric Wood, Kenny Britt
Beanie Wells or Jairus Byrd, Connor Barwin, Andy Levitre, Max Unger

Drafting a RB in the first round will almost always fail the BPA test in hindsight

I don't think the guys you listed were first round worthy just because they were drafted in the 1st.

yeah in hindsight obviously....they all had first round grades, idc how low you value the position (except donald brown, that was a weird pick). Jonathan Stewart was the closest thing ive seen to ladanian tomlinson since LT came out, he didnt reach that level but the dude had it all coming out of school. You are talking about the current pro career of guys like duane brown who were not only horrible reaches but was only a PT player for years because he was so terrible.

Theres a **** load of worse players that could have been drafted too, its easy to name the good ones that werent drafted high.

I do not want a RB in the first this year, because lattimore is the only one that has first round talent (and would warrant an elite grade if healthy) but lacy is a fringe first guy id say better than ingram or wells who i think were fringe first round guys as well. But if bernard is there in 2, i think they should take him because he is the best back in the draft, even if hes not getting the hype lacy is getting

Real Deal Steel
03-03-2013, 03:20 PM
He was one of my favorite players. He was a bit of a f*ck but I loved me some Santonio Holmes (no homo)... I miss that pothead.

I miss him too. I wish the Jets would cut him and we'd bring him back. I think he'd have an appreciation now for our organization that he didn't have when he was traded away.

I just don't see the value in Patterson or Allen and I'd be upset at taking one of them in the first round.

We will not be able to get Lacy if we pass on him at # 17, the Falcons and Bengals have Lacy DEAD IN THEIR SIGHTS WITH THEIR FIRST ROUND PICK!!!!!!!!

Can you imagine if Lacy was on the Bengals???? That would make Dalton a better QB and Green would see more one on one coverage!!!

And all of you can see the value in adding Lacy to that Falcons team! That would restore balance to that offense in a big way.

If we want Lacy, we'd better take him with # 17...that's all I'm saying.

***I'm not sure that RB is our biggest need. Better look at that LB position if you want to see a position in red alert status. If we could trade down to # 20, pick up an additional second round pick, then I'd be fine with taking Lacy and then using both our 2nd round picks on the WR and LB's areas.

K Train
03-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Patterson, Allen, and Hunter all have first round value.

As infatuated as i am with patterson, i wouldnt be surprised even a little if justin hunter was the better pro

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 03:54 PM
yeah in hindsight obviously....they all had first round grades, idc how low you value the position (except donald brown, that was a weird pick). Jonathan Stewart was the closest thing ive seen to ladanian tomlinson since LT came out, he didnt reach that level but the dude had it all coming out of school. You are talking about the current pro career of guys like duane brown who were not only horrible reaches but was only a PT player for years because he was so terrible.

Theres a **** load of worse players that could have been drafted too, its easy to name the good ones that werent drafted high.

I do not want a RB in the first this year, because lattimore is the only one that has first round talent (and would warrant an elite grade if healthy) but lacy is a fringe first guy id say better than ingram or wells who i think were fringe first round guys as well. But if bernard is there in 2, i think they should take him because he is the best back in the draft, even if hes not getting the hype lacy is getting

right, i think we are saying the same thing in different ways. we just disagree on what "first round talent" is

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 03:55 PM
The Falcons are not going to draft Lacy... they aren't that daft.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 03:56 PM
I miss him too. I wish the Jets would cut him and we'd bring him back. I think he'd have an appreciation now for our organization that he didn't have when he was traded away.

I just don't see the value in Patterson or Allen and I'd be upset at taking one of them in the first round.

We will not be able to get Lacy if we pass on him at # 17, the Falcons and Bengals have Lacy DEAD IN THEIR SIGHTS WITH THEIR FIRST ROUND PICK!!!!!!!!

Can you imagine if Lacy was on the Bengals???? That would make Dalton a better QB and Green would see more one on one coverage!!!

And all of you can see the value in adding Lacy to that Falcons team! That would restore balance to that offense in a big way.

If we want Lacy, we'd better take him with # 17...that's all I'm saying.

***I'm not sure that RB is our biggest need. Better look at that LB position if you want to see a position in red alert status. If we could trade down to # 20, pick up an additional second round pick, then I'd be fine with taking Lacy and then using both our 2nd round picks on the WR and LB's areas.

regarding patterson/allen... what are you basing your opinion on? Doesn't seem to be much.

connecticutsteel
03-04-2013, 10:39 PM
an edge rusher is top priority

BstripeYpaint
03-05-2013, 12:06 AM
[QUOTE=Flame;539202]OL, don't need it, if they remain healthy, they are a pretty good group of guys on paper *cough* where is the fag conditioning coach that never conditions them properly?

Hey, this triggered a thought: What do we know about Garrett Giemont anyway? He's our conditioning coordinator since 2007. Is he permitted to plan off-season workouts? Is it rational to think that he might have an idea about how we might reduce those damn, debilitating leg injuries? I'm dying to hear more about the off-season fitness plan. Is there any structure to it or do the athletes just go off and do their own thing? It's time we put the spotlight on this conditioning coordinator.

coldrolled
03-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Thinking like Haley if he has the choice to help Ben in the first and second... What is Haley looking for...

A tall WR or TE or G

Patterson/Allen
Eifert
Cooper/Warmack

In the Second round

Larry Warford
Darick Rogers or Hunter
Eddy Lacy/Giovani/Franklin

Steelers dump Harrison, sign Kruger and Maualuga...

K Train
03-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Thinking like Haley if he has the choice to help Ben in the first and second... What is Haley looking for...

A tall WR or TE or G

Patterson/Allen
Eifert
Cooper/Warmack

In the Second round

Larry Warford
Darick Rogers or Hunter
Eddy Lacy/Giovani/Franklin

Steelers dump Harrison, sign Kruger and Maualuga...

patterson, cooper, warmack, eifert, allen, hunter, jones, mingo, vaccaro, rhodes are all legitimate first round picks

Ertz, hunter (again), woods, bernard, lemonier, elam, shamarko, amerson, t. williams are all good round 2 picks to me

Id be hesitant but id also approve of justin hunter in 1...as much as i love patterson, i think hunter will probably be the better pro. He is no slouch in the measurements either. If he grades out higher than allen, then so be it.

DaRick Rodgers will definitely not be a steeler

scudmissile29
03-09-2013, 07:26 PM
so i like ball and lacy as the best backs of the rookies.

hunter as well.

wouldn't look at O-line in round 1, waste pick with other areas of need.

I would pass on Jones, I would prefer mingo.

polamalu43
03-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Alex Ogletree is intriging now for R1.....I'd take Montee Ball in R2 and Cyprien the Safety in R3......then we start looking for WR depth. We can't go OL this year boys. We have made the investment now we need to get our other slots filled.

This year is painful, but wait til we lose Troy, Clark, Keisel, Ike...could all be next year.

Zachintosh66
03-09-2013, 08:17 PM
No way on Ogleetree... Immature punk who will be arrested multiple times...

dantsteelers
03-10-2013, 07:40 AM
At least we're all agreeing, we need big time help on offense. But I'd start drafting Cooper at 1.17 and try for Ivory orStephens=Howling with a low tender before drafting Randle, Taylor, Gillislee in that order @ 3.79.

ChucktownSteeler
03-10-2013, 09:09 AM
I like Cooper a lot and wouldn't mind taking him in the first round. However we have to restock our LB corp as well.

scudmissile29
03-10-2013, 03:30 PM
why the **** do people want a guard, **** off, we've had ****ing lineman drafted in the 1st for the 3 straight ****ing years or something.

**** that,

ChucktownSteeler
03-10-2013, 04:13 PM
The game is won or lost in the trenches.

scudmissile29
03-10-2013, 04:40 PM
we've done enough with the oline imo if they remain Healthy (fire the conditioning coach).

we need to go to other areas.

ChucktownSteeler
03-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Give a franchise QB some time and its a beautiful thing.

polamalu43
03-10-2013, 11:24 PM
If our Brass decides to stick with Dwyer for another year and Draft a RB in the 4th or 5th Round........we need some WR help, LB and Safety.

What if Lewis walks? Do we go CB in Round 1 or 2? I was listening to Sirius NFL radio today and one of the guys said he felt Mendenhall would be back with the Steelers? Anyone else hear that?

K Train
03-11-2013, 09:16 AM
if mendenhall comes back the draft gets a little easier.

and i become very pro marcus lattimore the later he lasts

steelcitysfinestXL
03-11-2013, 09:52 AM
if mendenhall comes back the draft gets a little easier.

and i become very pro marcus lattimore the later he lasts

Im all about the Steelers taking a few *risks* in this draft. Lattimore being my fav of those risks followed my Mathieu. 2 positions of need (I belive Lewis and Mendenhal are gone which is a F*&cking shame this team cant hold onto young talent as of late) K in your opinion, in what round is it too early to draft those two guys inparticular?