PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Combine Notes

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2013, 10:30 AM
- DeAndre Hopkins at 6'1", has longer arms than Justin Hunter at 6'4"
- Patterson weighed in at a perfect 215lbs, while Allen weighed 205. I think this weekend will solidify Patterson as the #1 WR and a top 15 pick for sure. The Steelers should trade up if the opportunity presents itself.
- Jon Cooper is the total package (just ran an excellent 10 yd). for all the raving about warmack as a top 5 pick, cooper is just as good and will probably go late 1st (better value)
- The change in DJ Fluker's body over the last 2 months is impressive. He's dropped 20lbs and you can see he is going to muscle up
- Who the heck is Luke Marquardt, and how many steroids is he taking? lol...
- Fauria has some monster hands, he's still my guy in the mid rounds as a red zone TE.

K Train
02-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Dion Jordan....248 pounds. Damn impressive weight

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Dion Jordan....248 pounds. Damn impressive weight

more than Jones or Mingo

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2013, 10:52 AM
keep an eye on tank carradine this weekend...
i think he's been completely forgotten...

he's a guy, that in 3 years, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the best pass rusher from this draft class

Raleigh Steel
02-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Listening to Mel Kiper today he was comparing players in the draft to current NFL stars.

Some of the ones we will be targeting:
Tony gonzolas: zac ertz
Aldon smith: dion Jordan
Von miller: Jarvis jones & Kiki mingo
Lesean McCoy: gio benard

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Brian Schwenke

I'd rather use a 2nd or 3rd on Schwenke than a 1st on Warmack or Cooper

Draft Schwenke and move Pouncey to LG

coldrolled
02-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Brian Schwenke

Draft Schwenke and move Pouncey to LG

Ditto or Barrett Jones.

ChucktownSteeler
02-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Ditto or Barrett Jones.

Barrett Jones is a guy I haven't heard many people talking about. The damn thing about it is we have so many needs this year you can make an argument for many players.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Eifert definitely separating himself from the rest of the group

coldrolled
02-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Barrett Jones is a guy I haven't heard many people talking about. The damn thing about it is we have so many needs this year you can make an argument for many players.

he was a top Center, but a no show at the combine?? was he at the doc?

JollyRob68
02-23-2013, 03:59 PM
I like Brian also but wouldn't mind Cooper at all. The lineman looked very athletic and good.
Trade down in the first and get an extra 3rd or even a second rounder.
As much as I'd want Cooper I'd take the risk of Trading Down to Acquire more picks and then Draft Tavon Austin
,Elam,Hunter, MAnti,Minster orEifert/Escabor. Al ot of value/starters later in the back half of the draft in round 1.

coldrolled
02-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Barret jones

A Lisfranc injury to Jones' left foot will keep him out of workouts this week, but the three-time All-American has already met with a number of team in Indianapolis. Though Jones appeared at guard, left tackle and center in college, most teams project him as a center on the next level. "I think when you play different positions it really allows you to learn the offense from different perspectives," Jones said. "You stop memorizing the offense and start understanding it."

Jones expects the injury will keep him out for the next several months.

connecticutsteel
02-24-2013, 02:02 AM
Brian Schwenke

Draft Schwenke and move Pouncey to LG Why would you move an all pro center to guard if colon is cut our starting line will be Adams/Beachum/Pouncey/DeCastro /gilbert

coldrolled
02-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Why would you move an all pro center to guard if colon is cut our starting line will be Adams/Beachum/Pouncey/DeCastro /gilbert

To maybe have two all pro guards and a new all pro center?

strummerfan
02-24-2013, 09:32 AM
he was a top Center, but a no show at the combine?? was he at the doc?

Foot surgery

K Train
02-24-2013, 12:13 PM
****ed up his lisfranc, but even before that he leaves something to be desired in his explosion off the snap. Solid center prospect, but overrated a little bit. Wouldnt mind taking a chance on him in 2 or 3

NeilPatrickBanana
02-24-2013, 12:37 PM
patterson just ran a 4.37

NeilPatrickBanana
02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
WRs are killing the 40 today

NeilPatrickBanana
02-24-2013, 12:49 PM
markus wheaton 4.34... mike wallace clone

BstripeYpaint
02-24-2013, 01:47 PM
NPB, thanks for the update on the combine results. Patterson has impressive speed to go along with his size and vision in the open field. The "experts" say he has tremendous upside, but that he needs to improve his route running. He will also need to learn how to catch the ball with his hands; he uses his body a lot as a receiver.

In the near term, Patterson could be an electrifying return man.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Patterson is the one player I wouldn't mind the Steelers trading up for in the first round.....

ChucktownSteeler
02-24-2013, 02:43 PM
markus wheaton 4.34... mike wallace clone

Why, because of his initials?

coldrolled
02-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Woods looked good too.

K Train
02-24-2013, 07:17 PM
patterson and hunter both killed it.

Austin is a beast, ran a great time and put up like 16 beastly reps at his size. Route running looked great too

JollyRob68
02-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Patterson is the one player I wouldn't mind the Steelers trading up for in the first round.....

I heard he didn't do well on the board for The Bills.

JollyRob68
02-24-2013, 07:42 PM
patterson and hunter both killed it.

Austin is a beast, ran a great time and put up like 16 beastly reps at his size. Route running looked great too

I think The Steelers would trade down to 21-23 and then take him. It's a risk. I see the Steelers trading Back regardless.

Would you draft AUstin at 17? ANd who would have to fall for you to not take him( JOnes, Lotulelei)?

NeilPatrickBanana
02-24-2013, 07:50 PM

Me too. That would be my first choice as well, in terms I'd direction we go in the first.

I think almost regardless if who is falling, I'd want to trade up if Patterson is on the board after #10

K Train
02-24-2013, 07:53 PM
I think The Steelers would trade down to 21-23 and then take him. It's a risk. I see the Steelers trading Back regardless.

Would you draft AUstin at 17? ANd who would have to fall for you to not take him( JOnes, Lotulelei)?

definitely wouldnt draft austin at 17, not even in the first round...im just sayin he killed the workouts.

Patterson and Allen and maybe hopkins are my guys in the first.

Terrence Williams, Austin, Hunter, Woods are all good 2nd round guys

K Train
02-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Id trade up for patterson, or jones

Black@Gold Forever32
02-24-2013, 09:21 PM

This..........I agree Ktrain........Right now Jarvis Jones and Cordarrelle Patterson are 1A and 1B on my Steelers boards so I wouldn't mind them trading up to get one of those guys but really if those two are gone by 17 or if the Steelers don't trade up then I want them to trade down in the first since there isn't much difference from picks 10-32 in this draft......I know you hate trading down but if the Steelers still can get a great value pick in the first and can acquire more picks then I'm all for that.....

But I really want Jones or Patterson big time........

NeilPatrickBanana
02-24-2013, 10:30 PM

I think I'd just rather stay away from jones at this point. As good as he could be, there will be other high end prospects available without major question marks.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-24-2013, 10:31 PM
This..........I agree Ktrain........Right now Jarvis Jones and Cordarrelle Patterson are 1A and 1B on my Steelers boards so I wouldn't mind them trading up to get one of those guys but really if those two are gone by 17 or if the Steelers don't trade up then I want them to trade down in the first since there isn't much difference from picks 10-32 in this draft......I know you hate trading down but if the Steelers still can get a great value pick in the first and can acquire more picks then I'm all for that.....

But I really want Jones or Patterson big time........

I think there is a huge difference in the 10-20 range vs the 20 to early 2nd round range

K Train
02-25-2013, 12:27 AM
i mean i want his back and neck to check out, but assuming they do by the team doctors i think he would be a legit ROY candidate in the steelers defense. Hed probably go right into ROLB and play behind keisel and hopefully heyward A LOT more...those two would stack up guards and tackles to let jarvis wreak havoc...his playing style would allow him to produce in that way...meanwhile i think mingo, jordan, chase thomas, brandon jenkins and other guys i really like as OLBs and conversion guys are going to be good players and would be good fits, jarvis is a clear level above all of them. honestly im not trying to be a dick for once here but have you seen him play a lot?

obviously im a lot higher on jones than you, but i think hes going to be an immediate impact player even if his spinal condition shortens his career a few years....but imo hes worth that initial investment. everything the last week has been positive about his spine, we'll know more when the combine is over as well as im sure hes being evaluated there, even if he isnt participating

weakdraft
02-25-2013, 02:36 AM
Since someone was comparing prospects to pros............how about

Okafor= Jevon Kearse
Wheaton= Yancy Thigpen / Louis Lipps
Mathieu= Asante Samuel

I'm still looking, but not finding much talent this year.

JensK
02-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Okafor not benching more was really disapointing to me, seeing he is supposed to be the Woodley kind of OLB.

Zachintosh66
02-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Not feeling Okafor or Ogletree

Real Deal Steel
02-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Don't want Jarvis Jones.

I don't want to take a chance with our first round pick.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-25-2013, 01:31 PM
i mean i want his back and neck to check out, but assuming they do by the team doctors i think he would be a legit ROY candidate in the steelers defense. Hed probably go right into ROLB and play behind keisel and hopefully heyward A LOT more...those two would stack up guards and tackles to let jarvis wreak havoc...his playing style would allow him to produce in that way...meanwhile i think mingo, jordan, chase thomas, brandon jenkins and other guys i really like as OLBs and conversion guys are going to be good players and would be good fits, jarvis is a clear level above all of them. honestly im not trying to be a dick for once here but have you seen him play a lot?

obviously im a lot higher on jones than you, but i think hes going to be an immediate impact player even if his spinal condition shortens his career a few years....but imo hes worth that initial investment. everything the last week has been positive about his spine, we'll know more when the combine is over as well as im sure hes being evaluated there, even if he isnt participating

I saw every game he played this year.

My issue... is that we are a team with holes... a lot of holes/needs. We need to hit a homerun with this first round pick. We need as close to a sure thing as possible. And Jones, is just too much of a question mark.

If we were a contender, with a deep roster, and could afford to take the risk... then I'd be all over Jones after his slips out of the 1st half of the draft.

We don't have that luxury

Big T
02-25-2013, 04:06 PM
If he could have run in the 4.75 range, he would have erased some doubts about his ability to be more than a two-down linebacker.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/25/manti-teo-runs-his-first-40-in-unofficial-4-81/

So 5/100 of 1 second makes him a two-down linebacker. I'd say a 4.8 is in the 4.75 "range"... I just find it hilarious that a 4.75 would've been a good time, erasing doubts, but 4.80 is horrible and shows he can't be a 3-down linebacker. Hilarious. The man is a baller. We don't need a 4.6 next to Timmons playing buck. We need a smart, instinctive player who's fast enough (which Te'o is), can take on guards (which Te'o can), and is a good tackler (which Te'o is). He's not the best stack and shed guy but he's not terrible. Te'o, if given the opportunity, can be a very very good buck, with he and Timmons making each other better.

I understand having some questions after the Alabama game. That's fine, he played a ****** game, but so did everyone around him. I don't understand how that one ****** game just completely erases everything he had done prior. Ever since this whole girlfriend thing, the media in general has been looking for every opportunity to bash the kid. I've never seen a player so openly rooted against for an incident that was blown so astronomically out of proportion.

Clearly it depends in who else is there, but I'd have no issue whatsoever with the Steelers taking Te'o at 17.

JensK
02-25-2013, 04:24 PM
If anything this benefits the Steelers. With the ILB not really flashing much so far (in my book at least), we could easily see one of the good ones fall into our hands in the second round. I would love Te'o, Minter or Ogletree there. I would not be furious with Minter or Te'o at 17 though, however both appears to be slight reaches at this point.

Real Deal Steel
02-25-2013, 04:37 PM
I pray to God that Teo gets taken before our selection. I don't want any part of him. He should go to Green Bay. They like "packing" things down there. That would be a more suitable environment for Teo. He'd fit right in. :rolleyes:

What's so horrific is our need at LB. Which gives Tea....I mean Te'o a good chance to fall to us. I don't want to re-live the Kordell Stewart locker room days again.

K Train
02-25-2013, 04:57 PM
I saw every game he played this year.

My issue... is that we are a team with holes... a lot of holes/needs. We need to hit a homerun with this first round pick. We need as close to a sure thing as possible. And Jones, is just too much of a question mark.

If we were a contender, with a deep roster, and could afford to take the risk... then I'd be all over Jones after his slips out of the 1st half of the draft.

We don't have that luxury
people get SO DOWN on a team after one bad season, it was a season of heartbreaking gut wrenching losses, it hasnt blown the steelers off of the radar of contention for christ sake. This is a talented roster that needs quality talent of a quantity of pick. There IS still window for luxury here, which is why the first round is seriously wide open. I cant see them taking a QB, OT or another DE but literally all other positions are open....TE, WR, RB, G, NT, CB, FS, SS, OLB, MLB not in any specific order but all need to be upgraded, some more than others

The fact that you would take Jordan but dont consider them to have any window for luxury is contradicting yourself...jordan is not a player thats going to make an immediate impact, hes a project and has a much higher bust factor than jones even if jones is risky in a different way. I like jordan but hes probably going to take a while to get going, which i wouldnt mind but some people around here would FLIP

NeilPatrickBanana
02-25-2013, 05:45 PM
people get SO DOWN on a team after one bad season, it was a season of heartbreaking gut wrenching losses, it hasnt blown the steelers off of the radar of contention for christ sake. This is a talented roster that needs quality talent of a quantity of pick. There IS still window for luxury here, which is why the first round is seriously wide open. I cant see them taking a QB, OT or another DE but literally all other positions are open....TE, WR, RB, G, NT, CB, FS, SS, OLB, MLB not in any specific order but all need to be upgraded, some more than others

The fact that you would take Jordan but dont consider them to have any window for luxury is contradicting yourself...jordan is not a player thats going to make an immediate impact, hes a project and has a much higher bust factor than jones even if jones is risky in a different way. I like jordan but hes probably going to take a while to get going, which i wouldnt mind but some people around here would FLIP

just a case of different opinion on risk/luxury and the state of the franchise

I understand the view of Jordan as a project
I simply project him in a way that makes me very comfortable with the pick

I see Jones as a bigger risk due to the uncontrollable nature of the health concern

I think we are in a rebuilding phase... one draft isn't going to return us to contending when the majority of our best players are still the aging vets (clark, troy, harrison, ike, heath, etc)

NeilPatrickBanana
02-25-2013, 05:48 PM
looks like AJ Klein blew out his knee at the combine today...

can you say UDFA interest!

Big T
02-25-2013, 06:21 PM
I pray to God that Teo gets taken before our selection. I don't want any part of him. He should go to Green Bay. They like "packing" things down there. That would be a more suitable environment for Teo. He'd fit right in. :rolleyes:

What's so horrific is our need at LB. Which gives Tea....I mean Te'o a good chance to fall to us. I don't want to re-live the Kordell Stewart locker room days again.

You have to realize how ridiculous you sound, right? You're not talking about anything football related. What you're saying is, "Te'o is gay (which is your opinion) and I don't want a gay player on the Steelers."

It's one of the most ridiculous posts made on this site, and that's including weakdraft's bullshit. I don't care if the man does nothing but have gay orgies in his free time as long as he's gonna help this team win. Te'o, despite all this, is a good kid with high character, he's a leader, and he's a player at a position of need that would help this team win football games. After the whole Mike Wallace situation and how you hated everything about his attitude, this is the type of guy you of all people should want on your team. A humble guy that is all about the team and winning football games.

If you don't like Te'o as a PLAYER because of what he does on the field, fine. I couldn't give a ****. But saying you want no part of him because you believe him to be gay is beyond ridiculous.

coldrolled
02-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Eifert may be a great pick if the better LB's are taken at the top.

USMC607
02-26-2013, 02:43 AM
Teo is going to be a solid LB whereever he ends up everyones finding a reason to **** on this guy. I remember everyone **** on Burflict because of his 40 time ( as well as his attitude) and after the combine everyone forgot everything about his performance on the field. He drops in the draft gets snagged by the bengals and look what happened...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

USMC607
02-26-2013, 02:48 AM
I understand the combines usefulness but some of you guys are putting a little too much stock into it. Minus the NatChamp game ( where the entire ND Def got abused) the kid was solid. At the end of the day the kid can ball and a weak combine isnt the end all be all... Taz showed us that last yr.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

coldrolled
02-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Then you see Cornielus Washington, he looks like a QB killer... But what is his problem to be projected as a 7th rounder?

Washingtons Smarts? Minter looked the dumb one in drills... Teo was ok but slow like expected. Dion Jordan and Ogletree looked good...

K Train
02-26-2013, 09:36 AM
eifert solidified himself as #1 again, even I was starting to inch ertz pass him....not anymore

washington looks like a pure man child, he looked so huge next to everyone running the 40...but like i said, the dude needs a ton of work, but hes got all the tools physically

K Train
02-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Xavier Rhodes was one of my top guys back in 2011 when he was an eligible rs sophomore....i would not be surprised at all if hes the pick at 17 after a brilliant 4.41 today

Amerson with a 4.38

Milliner with a 4.31....this big *** corners this year can haul ***.

Amerson is still a better FS prospect, but rhodes is my dude

coldrolled
02-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Elam is a stud and hits hard too.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Xavier Rhodes was one of my top guys back in 2011 when he was an eligible rs sophomore....i would not be surprised at all if hes the pick at 17 after a brilliant 4.41 today

Amerson with a 4.38

Milliner with a 4.31....this big *** corners this year can haul ***.

Amerson is still a better FS prospect, but rhodes is my dude

i agree, rhodes is definitely an option at #17, but more than likely he'll be gone. He's flown up the draft board since bowl week.

K Train
02-26-2013, 06:09 PM
yeah i cant see him getting past the bucs, perfect for schianos defense.

we'd play him 15 yards off the WR anyway

Big T
02-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Shamarko Thomas is someone I'm going to have to watch. He looked impressive. I just don't know much abou him. Mayock's poor mans Bob Sanders comparison looks physically pretty spot on.

K Train
02-26-2013, 06:19 PM
bob sanders was a poor mans somebody, the dude was barely a 5-8 SS lol

Big T
02-26-2013, 06:21 PM
I meant he looks physically like Bob Sanders lol. Mayock was saying he plays like a poor mans Bob Sanders. Thomas is 5'8 as well.

K Train
02-26-2013, 07:43 PM
i just dont know what a rich mans bob sanders would look like lol

K Train
02-26-2013, 08:14 PM
I think its worth noting that Barkevious Mingo killed it at the combine, and so did jordan...the two are neck and neck, mingo a slightly better fit for the steelers i think

NeilPatrickBanana
02-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Shamarko Thomas is someone I'm going to have to watch. He looked impressive. I just don't know much abou him. Mayock's poor mans Bob Sanders comparison looks physically pretty spot on.

yea, he's somebody I'm going to need to go back and revisit

NeilPatrickBanana
02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
I came into the combine with Banks, neck and neck with Milliner as the top CBs.

That is no longer the case. Xavier Rhodes is the "other" top tier corner. He is so strong, so fluid in his movements. Banks was shockingly bad. His agility in drills exhibited a TON of wasted body movement. He has a lot of work to do. He may have gotten by on strength and jam at the college level, but his athleticism for a corner (hips), is in serious question... might drop him out of the first round.

Milliner is the top Zone corner, Rhodes is the top press corner.

Alford is the corner nipping at their heels.
Trufant is right there in the mix

Banks and Poyer hurt themselves

At one point I had Banks as the top corner in the draft. The combine matters.

coldrolled
02-27-2013, 12:05 PM
This is my take on the combine....

Any of these guys would be good somewhere in the draft.

Ogletree-Eifert-dion jordan 1st

Kyle Long - Lane Johnson – Terron Armstead 2nd

Vance McDonald TE 3rd

Schwenke C - 4th Move Pouncey.. Vinston Painter OL 4th

Ellington – Taylor – Kniles Davis RB

Woods WR or Wheaton WR

Cornielus washington lb 5th

Leon McFadden 4.47 6’1’

Brandon McGee

These guys our smooth balanced athletes....

K Train
02-27-2013, 12:46 PM
I came into the combine with Banks, neck and neck with Milliner as the top CBs.

That is no longer the case. Xavier Rhodes is the "other" top tier corner. He is so strong, so fluid in his movements. Banks was shockingly bad. His agility in drills exhibited a TON of wasted body movement. He has a lot of work to do. He may have gotten by on strength and jam at the college level, but his athleticism for a corner (hips), is in serious question... might drop him out of the first round.

Milliner is the top Zone corner, Rhodes is the top press corner.

Alford is the corner nipping at their heels.
Trufant is right there in the mix

Banks and Poyer hurt themselves

At one point I had Banks as the top corner in the draft. The combine matters.

never liked banks too much, rhodes just confirmed what i already thought. Dont know what to make of banks anymore at all though, might be looking like a FS, but hes not exactly built for that either.

I think Amerson is a big time sleeper, dude was unreal in 2011....looked like a top 5 pick, then fell off and got burnt a lot. He runs a good time and still is the top conversion guy to FS, but could definitely play CB on some teams