PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Hartings to retire

Koopa
02-01-2007, 08:40 PM
i know we talked about it somewhere else, but here's an official article

Thursday, February 01, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- Pro-Bowl center Jeff Hartings has told his Steelers' teammates that he is retiring.

Hartings, who succeeded Dermontti Dawson at a position that has been the team's most stable and successful for the past four decades, told his fellow offensive linemen shortly after the season ended that he will not be back.

"He's done. He told all of us," said offensive tackle Max Starks.

Hartings ends an 11-year playing career with two teams at two different positions. He began as a guard after the Detroit Lions drafted him in the first round from Penn State in 1996. He switched to center, a position he had never played, when he signed with the Steelers in 2001 as an unrestricted free agent.

Dawson was forced into retirement after the 2000 season because of lingering hamstring muscle injuries. Hartings moved in and started all but six games over the past six seasons at center, despite chronic problems and soreness with his knees because of a loss of cartilage.

Hartings made two Pro Bowls as a center after the 2004 and 2005 seasons.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07032/758775-100.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Best of luck to you Jeff; you're a trooper and tough as nails ! Thank you for everything and being a part of our Super Bowl run !

BlackGold4vr
02-01-2007, 08:56 PM
We were all expecting this announcement! Looks like Chucky is the man! Marvin Philips moves up the depth chart and we probably should look for a second day center. With Chucky's neck problems last year I am not comfortable going into the year with 2 centers. Kalil is not the answer either. He is a smaller center more suited for a team like Denver. He did not look very overpowering in his run blocking at the senior bowl. Not worth a 1st day draft pick. Why not try Willie Colon there and try to salvage Max Starks or Trai Essex at RT. Give Chucky his shot at it first!

:beer3:

Koopa
02-01-2007, 08:56 PM
i wonder if he would make a good coach?? maybe come be an assistant oline coach for us or something lol

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2007, 09:14 PM
We were all expecting this announcement! Looks like Chucky is the man! Marvin Philips moves up the depth chart and we probably should look for a second day center. With Chucky's neck problems last year I am not comfortable going into the year with 2 centers. Kalil is not the answer either. He is a smaller center more suited for a team like Denver. He did not look very overpowering in his run blocking at the senior bowl. Not worth a 1st day draft pick. Why not try Willie Colon there and try to salvage Max Starks or Trai Essex at RT. Give Chucky his shot at it first!

:beer3:

Or move Simmons to center and put Willie Colon at RG. Some say Colon is better suited for guard anyway.

BBG7
02-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Jeff..we will miss you. Good luck in evverything. I think we all knew this was about to come....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Or move Simmons to center and put Willie Colon at RG. Some say Colon is better suited for guard anyway.

Simmons played some center for us this year and last when Jeff was hurt and in preseason so it's a definite possibility of seeing an OL of:

Smith
Faneca
Simmons or Okobi
Kemoeatu
Colon

Koopa
02-01-2007, 11:04 PM
okobi is dead it's now chuk wun......get it straight lol.........i didn't get to see the games simmons played center.....who did he do???

BB2W
02-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks Jeff!... I've been a fan since his days at Penn State. :helmet:

Aunkster
02-01-2007, 11:15 PM
good luck bro

DIESELMAN
02-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanx Jeff for the years of pancaking Mother ****ers. Smith and Faneca on the LS, Colon and Kemoeatu on the RS (seeing that might get Starks' head out of his ***....doubt it though) definitely need continuity on the line, people don't realize how much is involved with having consistent starters. Rolling with each other on pass protection, knowing how each other steps in pass protection and run blocking. These guys roll off each others hips and need to be in tune with each other. We need depth and being healthy in a big way. It affects the whole offense big time.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanx Jeff for the years of pancaking Mother ****ers. Smith and Faneca on the LS, Colon and Kemoeatu on the RS (seeing that might get Starks' head out of his ***....doubt it though) definitely need continuity on the line, people don't realize how much is involved with having consistent starters. Rolling with each other on pass protection, knowing how each other steps in pass protection and run blocking. These guys roll off each others hips and need to be in tune with each other. We need depth and being healthy in a big way. It affects the whole offense big time.

I couldn't have said it better Diesel. Especially about Max turn-style Starks.:bluelol:

Captcoolhand
02-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Well knew that was coming. He was a hell of a center:yesnod: But I got to say, I'm more in favor of maybe moving Philips up to play Center than Okobi,Just my:2cents: . But I'm sure this will be a battle for them both come training camp. This should be interesting; neither have what it takes to be a top Center in the NFL but both have what it takes to win games :yesnod: :bigthumb:

House of Steel
02-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Good point, Capt. I will miss Hartings, he is right up there with Dawson as far as keeping the tradition of great Center in the history of the Steelers.

:beer2: Congratulations on a great career and enjoy retirement, Jeff Hartings.

AZ_Steeler
02-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Hartings is at the end of the line and it's time for him to get off the train. He's had an awesome career and probably can't do much more to make it any better. It's been a heel of a ride! :clap:

SteelerNation
02-03-2007, 03:00 AM
We will miss u you earned a place in steeler history. thanks for the ring . And hope you life is well beyond the NFL good luck to you.

Steelerlyn
02-03-2007, 10:18 AM
We've had some excellent players at center over the years. Hartings was a worthy guy to succeed Dawson. I wonder if we will continue with our run of good luck with the next guy?

Anyway, farewell to a terrific player who you could count on in the clutch. A guy who apparently played with pain for a long time with those troublesome knees. Hope he has a rewarding retirement..

Thanks Jeff.