PDA

View Full Version : Heinz Field voted worst grass field...

BB2W
02-01-2007, 07:05 PM
It's just a really bad playing surface... too many games.

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07032/758734-100.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2007, 07:11 PM
You think this might send a message to the Rooneys ???? Maybe Tomlin will push to do something about it ?? Don't get your hopes out, our field has sucked ever since Heinz was built and until we get field turf like every other Northeast team we're going to suffer !

AZ_Steeler
02-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Since there isn't any major injuries I say keep it... plus after having that artificial crap at TRS I'm happy to see the grass and torn up field! :D

TEEMONT
02-01-2007, 07:19 PM
I agree with AZ, screw field turf. I played on grass pretty much as long as I played football ( I think I played on field turf @ Cannon Mac once). I liked grass a lot more than Field Turf.

Stairwayto7
02-01-2007, 07:33 PM
I think we all have agreed that something needs done soon

TEEMONT
02-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Not all of us, I think the grass is fine. No one is getting hurt, no reason to change it.

SteelerSal
02-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Not all of us, I think the grass is fine. No one is getting hurt, no reason to change it.

:iagree: Football should be played outdoors, in the elements and on grass.

Steelersfan
02-01-2007, 08:19 PM
If they keep the grass the only way to fix it will be to play less games on it.

Koopa
02-01-2007, 08:24 PM
**** grass up north, it's more of a disadvantage to us for some damn reason....willie can never keep his footing......and everyone else falls too.....it's ridiculous........i think goodell or wtfever his name is should step in and force the rooney's to change...... if everyone hates it, and that one dude from the pats did **** his knee up last year playing on our field......................it's time for a change.................. new school is taking over this bitch..........

Even the Steelers players don't think much of their own playing field. Of the 48 who answered the survey, 25 ranked Heinz Field's surface as "poor," 16 as "fair," 7 as "good" and none as "excellent."

it's time for a change.........it shouldn't matter what the fans think football should be played on, if the players don't like it, it should be change, they are the ones that are risking their million dollar knees on it

Hburg
02-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Heinz Field: Meant only for the Pittsburgh Steelers and University of Pittsburgh Panthers.....and even that's pushing it.

I would like to see the field remain grass but they better sprinkle a shitload of Miracle-Gro on that **** if they hope to make playing at Heinz Field worthwhile. No more random games being held at the stadium...and if there are any superflous events then have a platform to cover the field and protect the damn grass!

BuFu

Koopa
02-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Heinz Field: Meant only for the Pittsburgh Steelers and University of Pittsburgh Panthers.....and even that's pushing it.

I would like to see the field remain grass but they better sprinkle a shitload of Miracle-Gro on that **** if they hope to make playing at Heinz Field worthwhile. No more random games being held at the stadium...and if there are any superflous events then have a platform to cover the field and protect the damn grass!

BuFu

pitt shouldn't even play on it, the rooney's need to stop being cheap and just pay for it so only the steelers can use it..... pitt should go play at a high school stadium or build their own........

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2007, 08:38 PM
The good ole days when football is supposed to be played in the grass and mud is fine when you have a field that can support it. Our field takes so much of a beating that it's not even mud, dirt, or grass by November, it's sand and the footing sucks.

BlackGold4vr
02-01-2007, 08:45 PM
It's just a really bad playing surface... too many games.

I agree our surface stinks. All of us who grew up in PA have played tackle football in big grass fields and I don't remember slipping and sliding all over the place. They need to find out what other northern teams are using. When you put a product on the field thats worth over 100 million per year you have got to protect your investment! At times this past year it has looked like we were playing on ice! Eventually we are going to lose a star because of that crappy field. Its a beautiful stadium with a horrible playing surface. C'mon, this is the 21st century and grass and turf technology is high tech. Look at the golf courses around the world. They can practically get grass to grow on pavement! If they don't want to spend money than they should put in a synthetic grass turf although (artificial turf) shortens careers. But so will a loosely sodded field with bad footing!

:dunno:

Koopa
02-01-2007, 08:48 PM
I agree our surface stinks. All of us who grew up in PA have played tackle football in big grass fields and I don't remember slipping and sliding all over the place. They need to find out what other northern teams are using. When you put a product on the field thats worth over 100 million per year you have got to protect your investment! At times this past year it has looked like we were playing on ice! Eventually we are going to lose a star because of that crappy field. Its a beautiful stadium with a horrible playing surface. C'mon, this is the 21st century and grass and turf technology is high tech. Look at the golf courses around the world. They can practically get grass to grow on pavement! If they don't want to spend money than they should put in a synthetic grass turf although (artificial turf) shortens careers. But so will a loosely sodded field with bad footing!

:dunno:

field turf is what the northern teams are starting to use.........and i love the way it looks, and i think it would benefit willie a lot, he won't be slipping as much.........

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2007, 08:49 PM
The Rooney's spend hundreds of thousands of dollars resodding the field at Heinz every year. They do it atleast twice a year because it just can't take the beating. Cincy used to have grass, so did New England, Cleveland, Washington, Baltimore, you name it and they all went to field turf because it's easy to maintain, its easier on players knees, and lasts a long time.

We're not talking astroturf here anymore that is just cement with outdoor green carpet overtop, todays fieldturf is indeed high tech stuff.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Since there isn't any major injuries I say keep it... plus after having that artificial crap at TRS I'm happy to see the grass and torn up field! :D

I'm with you on this 100 percent. The Steelers havn't had a history of season ending injuries due to the ****** grass. So keep the grass and forget the fake crap.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2007, 09:19 PM
All it takes is one major injury to a key player on our team because they slipped and twisted their knee the wrong way, then everybody in the media and the fans will be screaming how bad the turf is and why haven't we fixed it yet.

I seriously doubt the Rooney's will do anything to fix the issue, it's been this way for so long; my only hope is that they'll see teams like New England finally giving in and getting a decent field to match the beautiful stadium we have.

Yes I know injuries can happen on any field at any time, but I'd rather take my chances on a quality field than a crappy one ;)

Koopa
02-01-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm with you on this 100 percent. The Steelers havn't had a history of season ending injuries due to the ****** grass. So keep the grass and forget the fake crap.

so you want willie to keep sliding all over the place instead of breaking 40 yard runs????? it's not only about injuries...... it effects the game because ppl can't stay up even when not touched........ even our own players don't like it, so it shouldn't matter what fans want....... the rooney's need to switch it to field turf.......

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2007, 09:24 PM
so you want willie to keep sliding all over the place instead of breaking 40 yard runs????? it's not only about injuries...... it effects the game because ppl can't stay up even when not touched........ even our own players don't like it, so it shouldn't matter what fans want....... the rooney's need to switch it to field turf.......

Willie didn't struggle at home. He struggled on the road. Sure he slipped at home but hey his overall play was great at Home. So I don't think the ****** field effected him to much at home.

Koopa
02-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Willie didn't struggle at home. He struggled on the road. Sure he slipped at home but hey his overall play was great at Home. So I don't think the ****** field effected him to much at home.

but imagine if he didn't fall so much............ 200 yard games would be a reg lol.........

if they don't want to switch to the good stuff, then they should ban pitt from playing, they suck anyway..........

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2007, 09:30 PM
but imagine if he didn't fall so much............ 200 yard games would be a reg lol.........

if they don't want to switch to the good stuff, then they should ban pitt from playing, they suck anyway..........

Dude its just not Pitt. They let the high schools player their championship games there at Heinz. I agree the field is **** and if they do switch I won't bitch about it. I just like the grass and hate the fake crap. I know its silly but hey I never said I was normal in my overall thinking.lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2007, 09:34 PM
The panthers, the high school teams, the concerts, events, everything that goes on at Heinz will contribute to the entire complex getting old before it's time.

The Rooney's will never do it, but get Pitt their own damn stadium, let the high school kids play there, and keep the concerts set up in such a fashion that the actual field isn't touched any more than necessary.

Let's just get a roll away field like the Cards have. :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2007, 09:37 PM
The panthers, the high school teams, the concerts, events, everything that goes on at Heinz will contribute to the entire complex getting old before it's time.

The Rooney's will never do it, but get Pitt their own damn stadium, let the high school kids play there, and keep the concerts set up in such a fashion that the actual field isn't touched any more than necessary.

Now you're talking Top, I like how the Cards field can move. Thats the best idea yet.:bigthumb:

K Train
02-01-2007, 09:41 PM
i'd be happy with the turf they use at ford field, with the rubber "dirt" in it, the players like it and it looks nice, ive been on it before and its a good surface

Hburg
02-01-2007, 09:43 PM
pitt shouldn't even play on it, the rooney's need to stop being cheap and just pay for it so only the steelers can use it..... pitt should go play at a high school stadium or build their own........

Pitt used to have their own stadium, but it was old and they tore it down and built a new field house on the site. I think one of the ways Pittsburgh and the Steelers got all the funding for Heinz Field they needed was to agree to allow Pitt to play their football games there. It's actually odd, you can tell the stadium is the home of the Steelers and not the Panthers, and it's location on the North Shore of Pittsburgh is actually far away from the UofPitt campus.

It is hard enough to coordinate field surface matenance with Pitt playing there on Saturdays and the Steelers playing there on Sundays. That doesn't give the surface enough time to heal after one football game. But when you factor in having high schools play there on Fridays/Saturdays plus the myriad other events that go on during the week by Sunday the field is ****.

BuFu

Iron City South
02-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Sorry fellas, no new turf this year ... see, the Steelers have other priorities like a brand new $2.2 Mil. Hi-Def screen that will be going in. I was against this at first, but considering how great the quality of the picture will be ... perhaps the Rooney's will finally realize what a POS kitty litter box they actually play on. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Oh so that's what the reason is, and here I thought it was because they were too cheap :lol:

Ktrain, the field turf is exactly what you're talking about.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2007, 10:01 PM
check this out... http://www.fieldturf.com/index.cfm

watch the short video listed in the top right corner under tech info

Koopa
02-01-2007, 10:08 PM

the rooney's shouldn't have to do nothing for pitt....... use the tuitions it's already high as **** anyway.....us it for something useful instead off fattening their bank accounts from ripping off all the kids...............

Koopa
02-01-2007, 10:10 PM
check this out... http://www.fieldturf.com/index.cfm

watch the short video listed in the top right corner under tech info

interesting what they say about brady now being able to move.....imagine how much better of a scrambler ben would be if he had field turf.....

House of Steel
02-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Ben is already a good scrambler regardless of the surface. Now Field Turf would definitely benefit all the Receivers and Willie alike. Smart decision to switch, BUT I will admit I do enjoy watching the Steeler play on the current surface cause it is REAL FOOTBALL.

K Train
02-01-2007, 10:15 PM
its just many times ive seen people slip on there way to 6, mostly Holmes and Parker....the fastest guys on the team :banging:

Koopa
02-01-2007, 10:17 PM
its just many times ive seen people slip on there way to 6, mostly Holmes and Parker....the fastest guys on the team :banging:

yeah on that link tg posted, they talked about how the wr's were even faster, damn holmes would be even more badass playing on field turf on the reg.............

Friday133
02-01-2007, 10:22 PM

Never gonna happen. PITT is a partner at Heinz Field.

BBG7
02-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Our field has cost us big plays...and this is something I am always watching. For some reason the other teams do not seem as affected by it. Maybe the Steelers aren't chosing the right cleats. I don't know, but it hurts us. I am all for keeping the grass, I just wish there would be less activity on the field esp. Pitt. I wish they would just get their own stadium. I can see letting the high school kids play their playoff games there...but it should by minimized.

Koopa
02-01-2007, 10:25 PM
i was scrolling through the american football thing on that site tg posted, and i saw the steelers helmet and clicked on it......they practice on it in the practice facility, they need to bring it out to the big stadium to play on it too

http://www.fieldturf.com/highProfile.cfm?highProfileID=40

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Exactly, it's not like we don't know the benefits of it because we practice on it all the time. Friday is right though, the Panthers put up some money for that stadium too, which really sux *** if you ask me but atleast the Steelers are the majority owners of the stadium and what happens with it.

Pitt and the Steelers can go halves on field turf and everybody wins and everybody saves money.

BB2W
02-01-2007, 11:00 PM
The good ole days when football is supposed to be played in the grass and mud is fine when you have a field that can support it. Our field takes so much of a beating that it's not even mud, dirt, or grass by November, it's sand and the footing sucks.Yup... I like the thought of playing football on grass, but it's just not gonna grow under these conditions.

K Train
02-01-2007, 11:03 PM
field turf is great and its just more professional....really grass sucks for the safety of the players, i would love grass, but i would love the grass to be ****ing beautiful

Koopa
02-01-2007, 11:05 PM
just go look at those videos k posted in the game day thread, look at our players fly on that field..........imagine getting to do that at home too lol

Hburg
02-02-2007, 02:58 AM
the rooney's shouldn't have to do nothing for pitt....... use the tuitions it's already high as **** anyway.....us it for something useful instead off fattening their bank accounts from ripping off all the kids...............

True that, they nickel and dime the students for everything else. Besides, if Pitt actually built its own stadium they could have one somewhat close in proximity to Oakland (the name for the part of Pittsburgh the Pitt campus is on) and not all the way on the North Shore......which would make it easier for those students (who happen to be paying for it all) to get to the game.

Never gonna happen. PITT is a partner at Heinz Field.

I know.....it sucks.......

We're not talking astroturf here anymore that is just cement with outdoor green carpet overtop, todays fieldturf is indeed high tech stuff.

I'm not arguing in favor for astroturf...but that comment made me think of how intimidating and just flat out scary it must have been for teams to come to 3 River Stadium and play against the Steel Curtain defense of the Steelers in the 70s.....not only would have to play the best and most fearsome defense the league had ever seen....but you also had them pummeling you into as you said what is basically tarmac with a giant green welcome mat over top. 3 Rivers may be gone now, but I'll bet the ground underneath where it once stood is still soaked with blood and broken dreams of the players who got crushed when the Steel Curtian dropped! :helmet:

BuFu

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2007, 07:18 AM
My comment was just a general statement about astroturf vs fieldturf vs real grass. No worries ;)

Yes for as awesome TRS was, and as pretty as the TRS turf was, it sure was miserable to play on and seeing Lambert coming right at you and pile driving you into a cement slab had to be no fun :lol: . Woodson blew out his ACL on that turf against Barry Sanders and Detroit too.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-02-2007, 07:33 AM
My comment was just a general statement about astroturf vs fieldturf vs real grass. No worries ;)

Yes for as awesome TRS was, and as pretty as the TRS turf was, it sure was miserable to play on and seeing Lambert coming right at you and pile driving you into a cement slab had to be no fun :lol: . Woodson blew out his ACL on that turf against Barry Sanders and Detroit too.

Dude I remember when Woodson tore his ACL trying to tackle Barry Sanders. That was nasty. Hard to believe that back in 1995 already. Man I was 16.:bluelol:

DIESELMAN
02-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Dude I remember when Woodson tore his ACL trying to tackle Barry Sanders. That was nasty. Hard to believe that back in 1995 already. Man I was 16.:bluelol:

That was nasty.....knock on wood we haven't really had anything serious happen in a long time. Because of that you would think they would take better care of the field......

Black@Gold Forever32
02-02-2007, 07:45 AM
That was nasty.....knock on wood we haven't really had anything serious happen in a long time. Because of that you would think they would take better care of the field......

good point. I never want to see that again. Rod's ACL was enough for me.

Friday133
02-02-2007, 09:05 AM
People seem to think so many things go on at Heinz field and that's just not true. PITT plays a total of 6 games, that's it. The only high school games played there are the city championship and the WPIAL championship games, that is a grand total of 5. I agree that 4 are on one day. The Steelers play a minimum of 10 games. Nothing else goes on at the field during the week, I see it everyday from my desk at work. As for concerts, the field is protected by a deck of sorts that sits a few inches about the playing surface. People going to concerts don't ever touch the field. BTW if the Rooney's had their way they would like to have even more events there. A few years ago they tried to get the Army-Navy game.

Captcoolhand
02-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Maybe they should go see what Cinci did with their feild because it use to be the worse :dunno: :2cents: :lol:

steelcurtaingal
02-02-2007, 11:32 AM
i think we should keep the grass, it makes it hell on other kickers when they come into heinz, and jeff reed doenst seem to have much of an issue withit, so i say keep it. football is best when its on actual grass, not the fake stuff.:willybs:

TEEMONT
02-02-2007, 01:38 PM

I agree for the most part, kick Pitt oput, kepp the high school games, but get rid of the conerts. With the arena deal getting close, maybe they can do mor econcerts at the arena? Or go to PPG pavilion, I love that place, its a great venue for concerts.

Iron City South
02-02-2007, 01:39 PM
i think we should keep the grass, it makes it hell on other kickers when they come into heinz, and jeff reed doenst seem to have much of an issue withit, so i say keep it. football is best when its on actual grass, not the fake stuff.:willybs:

Flawed logic. Firstly, a winning strategy should NEVER be predicated on the kicking game first. You're missing the fact that there is four quarters of football being played on that field and a surface such as FieldTurf would give teams that are built on speed and raw power like the Steelers the greatest benefit.

Better footing for the OL in pass-pro means better protection for Roethlisberger. Better footing for the OL means better execution in run blocking for Parker. Parkers raw speed on Fieldturf is scary to even think about. In fact, the majority of his best games were on turf surfaces. Better footing for a scrambling QB like Roethlisberger allows him to make things happen, etc. etc.

TEEMONT
02-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Flawed logic. Firstly, a winning strategy should NEVER be predicated on the kicking game first. You're missing the fact that there is four quarters of football being played on that field and a surface such as FieldTurf would give teams that are built on speed and raw power like the Steelers the greatest benefit.

Better footing for the OL in pass-pro means better protection for Roethlisberger. Better footing for the OL means better execution in run blocking for Parker. Parkers raw speed on Fieldturf is scary to even think about. In fact, the majority of his best games were on turf surfaces. Better footing for a scrambling QB like Roethlisberger allows him to make things happen, etc. etc.

So what you are saying is that only our OL is affected by the field? You dont think the other teams DL is affected by this? Having field turf is not going to give us an advantage either way. Football is meant to be played on grass, plain and simple.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2007, 02:32 PM
The footing at Heinz can have an effect. The poor conditions attribute to bad footing but the thing that makes Heinz so hard to kick in is the winds coming off the river from the open end of the stadium.

The footing at Heinz sucks for everybody out there, but the offense has the advantage so to speak, in any situation like that because they know where they are going and the defense has to react.

Friday133
02-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I agree for the most part, kick Pitt oput, kepp the high school games, but get rid of the conerts. With the arena deal getting close, maybe they can do mor econcerts at the arena? Or go to PPG pavilion, I love that place, its a great venue for concerts.

PITT is never going to leave, GET USED TO IT. Concerts will still be held there, they generate money, GET USED TO IT.

Koopa
02-02-2007, 04:51 PM
ppl that don't play the game say they want grass...........the actual players say they don't like the field................the rooney's need to forget that stupid big *** screen they bought and put field turf.........

TEEMONT
02-02-2007, 04:52 PM
PITT is never going to leave, GET USED TO IT. Concerts will still be held there, they generate money, GET USED TO IT.

Last I checked, I was for keeping the muddy, crappy field. I don't care who plays there. Plus I don't play there so I don have to get used to it.

ppl that don't play the game say they want grass...........the actual players say they don't like the field................the rooney's need to forget that stupid big *** screen they bought and put field turf.........
I played for 12 years(including two in college), and played on every type of field in that time. I prefer grass when playing, so this isn't a fans persepctive, it's mine, a players.

Iron City South
02-02-2007, 04:58 PM
So what you are saying is that only our OL is affected by the field? You dont think the other teams DL is affected by this? Having field turf is not going to give us an advantage either way. Football is meant to be played on grass, plain and simple.

No, I just gave you several examples as to how Fieldturf benefits the Steelers.

1) Steelers are a team built for speed (smaller than most other teams and faster at the skill position of RB and WR)

2) Steelers have a QB that excells in being mobile and shaking tackles. Fieldturf would benefit Ben greatly allowing him better footing when scrambling ... allowing him to make something happen.

3) Willie Parker would be a Ferrari on Fieldturf. Period .. case closed.

4) Our LB's are probably the best overall athletes on the team. This group isn't considered the biggest or best in the league, but would excell on turf as a result of their athleticism.

Other teams can't claim to have all these tangables ....

Koopa
02-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Last I checked, I was for keeping the muddy, crappy field. I don't care who plays there. Plus I don't play there so I don have to get used to it.

I played for 12 years(including two in college), and played on every type of field in that time. I prefer grass when playing, so this isn't a fans persepctive, it's mine, a players.

but you don't play on what they play on.....if the steeler players are saying they think the field is bad then it needs to be changed......

TEEMONT
02-02-2007, 05:01 PM
but you don't play on what they play on.....if the steeler players are saying they think the field is bad then it needs to be changed......

The players aint paying the bills and I am sure I played on worse......STFU and play.

TEEMONT
02-02-2007, 05:03 PM
No, I just gave you several examples as to how Fieldturf benefits the Steelers.

1) Steelers are a team built for speed (smaller than most other teams and faster at the skill position of RB and WR)

2) Steelers have a QB that excells in being mobile and shaking tackles. Fieldturf would benefit Ben greatly allowing him better footing when scrambling ... allowing him to make something happen.

3) Willie Parker would be a Ferrari on Fieldturf. Period .. case closed.

4) Our LB's are probably the best overall athletes on the team. This group isn't considered the biggest or best in the league, but would excell on turf as a result of their athleticism.

Other teams can't claim to have all these tangables ....

Haven't I seen Willie slip on other fields? I am sure he grew up playing grass, he'll be fine. Not only will our athleticism increase on FT, but so would everyone else's. We are used to playing on grass, lots of teams aren't at this point. Keep it.

SteelerSal
02-02-2007, 05:03 PM
The players aint paying the bills and I am sure I played on worse......STFU and play.

:bigthumb: :iagree:

Koopa
02-02-2007, 05:07 PM

the hell they don't, without those players the rooneys get no money.........

TEEMONT
02-02-2007, 05:16 PM
the hell they don't, without those players the rooneys get no money.........

So you're tellin me the players sign the Rooney's checks? Players are replaceable, the Rooneys have proved that over the years.

Koopa
02-02-2007, 05:18 PM
the players are the reason he gets money...... if his players don't like it, he needs to listen to them........ field turf is a most..... the commish needs to step in and force them to fix the field

Iron City South
02-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I think what he's saying is that without the players performing at a level that brings playoff and championships, the Steelers franchise isn't worth near the $830 Mil tag that was recently placed on it. The franchise would suffer considerably if the Steelers were consistent losers.

I agree, ask the Lions ....

big d
02-02-2007, 06:05 PM
This is the nfl. Who cares about how the field is. We are the steelers.

Blitzburgh55
02-02-2007, 07:08 PM
This is the nfl. Who cares about how the field is. We are the steelers.

Exactly grass is grass get over it

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Im as guilty as anybody for liking to see the NFL played on natural grass but it doesnt change the fact that Heinz field is and has been and will continue to be a crappy looking and dismal performing field. Every other team in the northeast has seen it yet we continue to have a beautiful stadium and an ugly field that we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars ever year replacing turf on. It's wasteful spending and there's no sense to it if you ask me.

Iron City South
02-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Im as guilty as anybody for liking to see the NFL played on natural grass but it doesnt change the fact that Heinz field is and has been and will continue to be a crappy looking and dismal performing field. Every other team in the northeast has seen it yet we continue to have a beautiful stadium and an ugly field that we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars ever year replacing turf on. It's wasteful spending and there's no sense to it if you ask me.

I'm with ya man ... it's an embarassment.

Time for some Fieldturf. 13 other NFL teams that made the leap because they were tired of trying to maintain the grass surface swear by it.