PDA

View Full Version : Harrison & Troy as trade bait???

LatrobePA
02-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Don't laugh one or both could be gone... Question is what would they be worth???

steelcitysfinestXL
02-11-2013, 03:03 PM
I just dont see any way Troy leaves THIS season. Harrison would be the more likely to go but who replaces either of them day 1? Its one thing to let Joey Porter leave when you have James Harrison (who played well in every chance he got as a backup). Its another to trade them for what i could only imagine being a 3rd rounder each AT BEST, when you have nothing to replace them... just my $0.02.

Crash
02-11-2013, 03:04 PM
They will not trade anyone. They'll cut them first.

LatrobePA
02-11-2013, 03:20 PM
They will not trade anyone. They'll cut them first.

Sad but true...

Real Deal Steel
02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Colbert isn't bright enough to put together a trade for either.

Crash
02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
No, the point is after 10 years you aren't going to send them to places they may not want to play at this stage of their careers.

You release them, and allow them the chance to go where they want.

LatrobePA
02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Troy to Oakland for McFadden..... Would you??

JollyRob68
02-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Troy would want to play for San Fran or San D. Maybe Arizona. James Harrison doesn't like to fly. Maybe you can get a 6 from Arizona.

ChucktownSteeler
02-11-2013, 05:23 PM
What makes you think this?

jdehoff83
02-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Troy to Oakland for McFadden..... Would you??
F no!

LatrobePA
02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
F no!

LOL, why?

jdehoff83
02-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Regardless of the cap i know the team has to dosomething because of it..but unless they draft for it i wasnt impressed at all with the back ups

jdehoff83
02-11-2013, 05:43 PM
LOL, why?

Well ill tell you lol... thats like trading a back wheel for a front wheel on the same car. They both have injury issues!? Has mcfadden ever completed an entire season? The dude is an awesome back no question but he always gets hurt.. always!! Hey thanks for helpin us through half the season and now your hurt... you already see how we get when ben goes down.

LatrobePA
02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Well ill tell you lol... thats like trading a back wheel for a front wheel on the same car. They both have injury issues!? Has mcfadden ever completed an entire season? The dude is an awesome back no question but he always gets hurt.. always!! Hey thanks for helpin us through half the season and now your hurt... you already see how we get when ben goes down.

All right fair enough.

Goodfrom55
02-11-2013, 06:10 PM
I could see Harrison being outright cut because he will refuse to restructure. . . Troy? my opinion, he is good enough when healthy to take a chance on. He finished the year extremely strong and is entering the offseason as healthy as he has ever been. He will likely have to restructure, which I think he will do, but beyond 2013-2014 season, unsure of his status on the team.

If they cut Troy, you can almost guarantee a Kenny Vacarro or Matt Elam in the 1st round.

xBlitzBurghx
02-11-2013, 06:13 PM
I hate seeing people like those 2 go, but we need to start fresh on some positions. I don't think their replacements are on the team RIGHT NOW either. If we go with youth and sacrifice a season or 2 we should have a hell of a team after. Then again that would be sacrificing Bens career and players around his age. I want to see young guys on the Defense though. Its a whole different feeling. You can the the energy compared to a defense like ours right now.

xBlitzBurghx
02-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Just like when they won the SB against Arizona. The entire season you could just feel the energy from that Defense. It was something else

K Train
02-11-2013, 06:44 PM
troy could be very enticing for some organizations, harrison not so much

LatrobePA
02-11-2013, 06:44 PM
troy could be very enticing for some organizations, harrison not so much

CA team I was thinking...

Dean Denton
02-12-2013, 03:21 AM
Troy stays. This team needs him. No one can do what he does. When healthy....

BubbyBlister
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Troy will retire a Steeler.

BubbyBlister
02-12-2013, 12:10 PM
In fact after my last post, I just read the Steelers are already talking about restructuring Troy's and Ben's contracts. Sadly not Harrison's though.

Real Deal Steel
02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Harrison won't take a paycut so he's as good as gone. He's stupid.

Nolrog
02-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Sadly not Harrison's though.

Why is that sadly? It's time to pay the piper for all those restructures for the last couple years. That's why the cap situation is so bad now.

Goodfrom55
02-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Why is that sadly? It's time to pay the piper for all those restructures for the last couple years. That's why the cap situation is so bad now.

Borrowing from Peter to Pay Paul. . . WHich makes me wonder how much of a genuis is Omar Khan? Colbert? They had to know this would come full circle sooner or later. In Ben's case, solace for him is they can restructure him now and give him an extension next year. The other guys are screwed, most of them anyway.

BubbyBlister
02-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Why is that sadly? It's time to pay the piper for all those restructures for the last couple years. That's why the cap situation is so bad now. Because we could be letting go a all time great that might have two very good years left in him or even three. Dude was and still could be a beast. I swear if it wasn't for the NFL purposely over looking him getting held on every play cause he was just unstoppable and then the refs targeting him for just playing football. He could have been the all time sack leader in the NFL with many fewer games played then the leaders now.

weakdraft
02-13-2013, 12:29 AM
Fat, slow, injury prone safetys aren't much in demand anymore.

Nolrog
02-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Borrowing from Peter to Pay Paul. . . WHich makes me wonder how much of a genuis is Omar Khan? Colbert? They had to know this would come full circle sooner or later. In Ben's case, solace for him is they can restructure him now and give him an extension next year. The other guys are screwed, most of them anyway.

They did a good job for what the goal was, keeping the SB team together as long as possible. Now that goal has changed to clear out cap space to be able to do some things like resign or own FAs and maybe bring in a FA or two. That's going to take a little time (and some more restructures) to accomplish.

Nolrog
02-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Because we could be letting go a all time great that might have two very good years left in him or even three. Dude was and still could be a beast.

There's a lot of subjective adjectives there. He might have two good years left. He could still be a beast. But he might never play another down of football, and he could possibly be done. At 35 years old, the odds say that he's closer to being done than being a beast. That's too much of a risk to take considering his cap number and the Steelers cap situation.

If they were 10 million under the cap now, it's probably a risk you take. But at some 15 or so over, and he's coming off a down year, and he's been injured for two years, it's too much of a chance.

As much as everyone loves Harrison (myself included), sometimes it's it's time to move on.

Real Deal Steel
02-13-2013, 08:29 AM
I can't have put it any better.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Troy isn't going anywhere, Harrison isn't going anywhere. This whole thing about Harrison not willing to take a paycut is ridiculous. He was NEVER going to take an actual paycut. A restructure, sure, any player will do that any time, but Deebo was never going to actually have his deal redone and take LESS money.

Both will be back, although both (more likely Harrison) will be restructured.

Zachintosh66
02-13-2013, 10:35 AM
I dont think they are too worried about losing Harrison... (cutting, trade, etc)

Worilds had one less sack in about half as many snaps.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Troy isn't going anywhere, Harrison isn't going anywhere. This whole thing about Harrison not willing to take a paycut is ridiculous. He was NEVER going to take an actual paycut. A restructure, sure, any player will do that any time, but Deebo was never going to actually have his deal redone and take LESS money.

Both will be back, although both (more likely Harrison) will be restructured.

I think they understand that they have to pay the price now (the price of keeping a super bowl team together for an extended period of time)... if they keep doing restructures for guys in their mid 30s... they are going to be in even worse shape, when the younger talent hits the prime of their careers and heavy cap hits.

They have a ton of needs to address. They have to clean up their house, plan for the 2nd half of Ben's career properly.

we are between 14 and 17 over the cap right now (depending on sources)

restructuring only pushes the problem into the future... We are going to lose Mike Wallace and Keenan Lewis because we've been keeping a contender together. It's time to admit, we need to do some house cleaning and a little rebuilding of the roster.

Restructuring ANYONE in the later half of their career (besides Ben)... is the WRONG thing to do.

As much as it hurts, we need to get back to the business side of the game...

LatrobePA
02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
I still feel this is the year they clean house and actually go after some FA's.... But that's just me!

coldrolled
02-13-2013, 11:34 AM
As much as everyone loves Harrison (myself included), sometimes it's it's time to move on.

He needs to reduce his salary by half of what we paid him the last two years...
Does Harrison or Worilds have more sacks the last two years?

Zachintosh66
02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
He needs to reduce his salary by half of what we paid him the last two years...

Thats an unfair assesment... two years ago Worilds just began his second year in the league. We all know the Steelers dont play kids till they hit 30 years old. :lol:

coldrolled
02-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Thats an unfair assesment... two years ago Worilds just began his second year in the league. We all know the Steelers dont play kids till they hit 30 years old. :lol:

Another reason why we get stuck with players or just lose them and never have a trade option... Everyone young sits... We always have an open poker hand with the vets.

LatrobePA
02-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Tomlin hanging onto the shirt tail of BC's players as long as he can... The time to clean house was 3 years ago!

Big T
02-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Tomlin hanging onto the shirt tail of BC's players as long as he can... The time to clean house was 3 years ago!

Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly... In your opinion, even in hindsight, we should've cleaned house right before the season we made the Super Bowl? Just one year after we WON the Super Bowl? Got it...

LatrobePA
02-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly... In your opinion, even in hindsight, we should've cleaned house right before the season we made the Super Bowl? Just one year after we WON the Super Bowl? Got it...

Yep... Waiting until they're too old to compete will get ya 8-8 seasons... Just say'n!

NeilPatrickBanana
02-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Keeping the super bowl team together was absolutely the right thing to do

But now, te right thing to do is pay the piper

Big T
02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Keeping the super bowl team together was absolutely the right thing to do

But now, te right thing to do is pay the piper

Exactly. The cap situation is unfortunate but, IMO, they went about it the right way, for as long as they could. Now they have to make a few tough decisions. It sucks, but it's necessary.

tburg68
02-13-2013, 02:48 PM
There is no trade market in the NFL. No team will give up any draft picks of value for players, it doesn't happen. You have to draft well, and retain your own picks. The Steelers will do what they always do, and restructure as much as possible, and then cut a few high priced vets. If that happens to be Harrison, so be it. I would like to see him stay some how at a reduced salary, and be moved inside next to LT. Then draft a pass rusher of OLB. Anyone that thinks Worilds is a legit pass rusher hasn't been watching the same games I have.

The Steelers always find a way to navigate the "impossible Salary Cap overages", I believe they will be able to do it again, and field a competitive team. We may have to end up seeing what some players like Sylvestor and similar guys can actually do, but I for one am ok with that.

Doesn't the cap grow sizably in 2014 when the new TV revenue hits anyway?

coldrolled
02-13-2013, 03:07 PM
There is no trade market in the NFL. No team will give up any draft picks of value for players, it doesn't happen.

You sure in the NFL or in Pittsburgh?

LatrobePA
02-13-2013, 03:25 PM
You sure in the NFL or in Pittsburgh?

Right, like no other teams in the NFL make trades worth anything...

Nolrog
02-13-2013, 03:46 PM

The real question, is will Harrison or Worilds have more in the next two?

NeilPatrickBanana
02-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Exactly. The cap situation is unfortunate but, IMO, they went about it the right way, for as long as they could. Now they have to make a few tough decisions. It sucks, but it's necessary.

Restructuring or extending anyone over 30 (besides Ben) should be completely off the table

BubbyBlister
02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
I don't want to see Harrison go at all but with that said. No way should we lose a up in coming player like Kennan Lewis to keep Harrison. Personally with restructuring a few vets and letting a few players go the Steelers should be fine under the cap. Heck they are always 10,000,000 plus over every year and this is nothing new.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-13-2013, 05:34 PM
I don't want to see Harrison go at all but with that said. No way should we lose a up in coming player like Kennan Lewis to keep Harrison. Personally with restructuring a few vets and letting a few players go the Steelers should be fine under the cap. Heck they are always 10,000,000 plus over every year and this is nothing new.

In the old days, they simply let players walk... the difference today is that they've kept a Championship team together by going 2nd and 3rd contract deeep with more players than they did in the past. And the amount of restructuring they've done over the last few years has caught up. Restructuring doesn't magically make cap dollars disappear, it simply pushes them onto the next season, where they compound with other salary and previous bonus.

The Steelers have a much different cap situation this year, than they had in the past...

Remember... a rookie class is going to eat up about 6-7 million in cap space... we are about 14-17 million over the cap right now. That's 20-24 million in cap space we need to find... before we start trying to sign ANY of our own or other free agents.

pay the piper now... start cutting

BubbyBlister
02-13-2013, 05:43 PM
In the old days, they simply let players walk... the difference today is that they've kept a Championship team together by going 2nd and 3rd contract deeep with more players than they did in the past. And the amount of restructuring they've done over the last few years has caught up. Restructuring doesn't magically make cap dollars disappear, it simply pushes them onto the next season, where they compound with other salary and previous bonus.

The Steelers have a much different cap situation this year, than they had in the past...

Remember... a rookie class is going to eat up about 6-7 million in cap space... we are about 14-17 million over the cap right now. That's 20-24 million in cap space we need to find... before we start trying to sign ANY of our own or other free agents.

pay the piper now... start cutting I agree with start cutting just make sure it's the right cuts and those players can be replaced., Wallace, Mendy, Hampton and a few of the OL can be let go without much loss. Well Wallace will hurt some but he is gone no matter what.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-13-2013, 06:04 PM
I agree with start cutting just make sure it's the right cuts and those players can be replaced., Wallace, Mendy, Hampton and a few of the OL can be let go without much loss. Well Wallace will hurt some but he is gone no matter what.

Wallace and Mendy are free agents... letting them go does nothing to help our cap

BstripeYpaint
02-13-2013, 07:19 PM
I think they understand that they have to pay the price now (the price of keeping a super bowl team together for an extended period of time)... if they keep doing restructures for guys in their mid 30s... they are going to be in even worse shape, when the younger talent hits the prime of their careers and heavy cap hits.

They have a ton of needs to address. They have to clean up their house, plan for the 2nd half of Ben's career properly.

we are between 14 and 17 over the cap right now (depending on sources)

restructuring only pushes the problem into the future... We are going to lose Mike Wallace and Keenan Lewis because we've been keeping a contender together. It's time to admit, we need to do some house cleaning and a little rebuilding of the roster.

Restructuring ANYONE in the later half of their career (besides Ben)... is the WRONG thing to do.

As much as it hurts, we need to get back to the business side of the game...

This is sound reasoning to me.