PDA

View Full Version : tough times ahead for Colbert and the front office in the years ahead

connecticutsteel
02-08-2013, 10:31 PM
The Steelers brass face some very tough choices in the coming months and years as they try to become cap complaint 10 players take up 100 million in cap space 20 million going to Big Ben who goes ?who stays? we will find out soon what do you think they should do ?

weakdraft
02-08-2013, 11:28 PM
The Steelers are looking at 8-8, 7-9, 6-10, 5-11 for a long long time. Ben won't have another winning season, and he has about 7 seasons left.
Then we might have trouble finding a good QB for perhaps a decade, then build a team for another couple years.

It could be 20 years until we are in the playoffs again. However, until LeBeau quits, we should be competitive. But 8-8 wil be seen as great success in the coming years.

Tomlin and Colbert needed to maintain what Cowher built, and get better. Not only did they fail to maintain, they actually got worse.

I'd cut the whole team and start rebuilding now like an expansion team, instead of dying a slow death over the next 7 years, and then starting to rebuild.

LatrobePA
02-08-2013, 11:35 PM
lol weakdick at it again!

DIESELMAN
02-08-2013, 11:58 PM
WTF are you smoking?

LatrobePA
02-09-2013, 12:00 AM
WTF are you smoking?

Rats troll stirring the pot! Why he hasn't been banned is beyond me! He's a doucher!

BillsPackers
02-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Sounds about right, the steelers have aged. Havn't really done much to help with their drafts..bust after bust....ziggy hood bust, cameron heyward bust, mike adams bust...

passed on Hightower and took decastro! lol...wow

LatrobePA
02-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Sounds about right, the steelers have aged. Havn't really done much to help with their drafts..bust after bust....ziggy hood bust, cameron heyward bust, mike adams bust...

Lol another troll... BillAssPacker will be your new name. Thanks for joining the site **** stabber!!

BillsPackers
02-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Lol another troll... BillAssPacker will be your new name. Thanks for joining the site **** stabber!!

Not a troll...just a realist...spreading the truth from one in denial steeler fan to the next...gods work to the most annoying and ignorant fan base of all time...queers

LatrobePA
02-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Not a troll...just a realist...spreading the truth from one in denial steeler fan to the next...gods work to the most annoying and ignorant fan base of all time...queers

This coming from a "packers" fan.... lol I'm betting you're a bottom right??

DBR96A
02-09-2013, 01:25 AM

Never mind that G was a bigger need than OLB after the 2011 season. Anybody with eyes and a brain knew that.

By the way, smart football fans wait a bit longer than two seasons before labeling draft picks as "busts." Then again, you're not smart, so I forgive you.

JensK
02-09-2013, 08:06 AM

1. Ziggy has not been a bust per say. He has been as productive as you can expect. He was just never a player who fitted the system.

2. Heyward as been ANYTHING but a bust. Sure, he is not getting a lot of playtime, but you can blame our ridgid coaching staff for that. Whenever he sees the field, he plays really well. Its not his fault that they have Kiesel in front of him, who still plays lights out.

3. Calling a first-year player a bust is idiotic beyond anything I've heard in this forum for a while. Especially since Mike Adams was really playing some nice football right before he got injured. He was destroying people in the run game, but did struggle somewhat in pass-coverage, which is really to be expected of a rookie who played "out of position".

4. Every single team in the world would have picked DeCastro over Hightower if the pick had to be one of the two. DeCastro was and still is one of the best guard prospects to enter the draft in a long long time. Yeah, he was injured and that really ****ing sucked, but you can hardly fault anyone on that.

5. You are not being a "realist". You are being ignorant without ANY evidence whatsoever in either of your claims.

scudmissile29
02-09-2013, 08:55 AM
lol weakdick at it again!

LOl this guy must be spastic or something.

his posts are enjoyable to read

coldrolled
02-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Change two things this year.. One next year.

Play the young players alot more, if they are busts you know it in one year not three years later.
Fill the holes with picks example: Stevenson.. Is he a LB or what? Let him play.. if he sucks then cut him.

Before we worry about heyward, hood, worilds, etc.. Lets fill our real holes... ILB, OLB, WR, TE

Next year if it looks bad... Trade a few good players for some #1 or #2 picks. Get those now.

I still think get a center and slide pouncey over this year...

Real Deal Steel
02-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Change two things this year.. One next year.

Play the young players alot more, if they are busts you know it in one year not three years later.
Fill the holes with picks example: Stevenson.. Is he a LB or what? Let him play.. if he sucks then cut him.

Before we worry about heyward, hood, worilds, etc.. Lets fill our real holes... ILB, OLB, WR, TE

Next year if it looks bad... Trade a few good players for some #1 or #2 picks. Get those now.

I still think get a center and slide pouncey over this year...
Love the thought of getting a center and sliding pouncey. And to take it further, I'd like to get that center from free agency possibly ; freeing up a draft pick. We needed our first three picks to contribute this year. We need the infusion of youth and speed.

Real Deal Steel
02-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Think about the real possibility of them using two out of the first three picks on the linebacking position.

coldrolled
02-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Think about the real possibility of them using two out of the first three picks on the linebacking position.

Or just slam it home.... Trade Ben to Cards for all their top picks and Kolb.. ??? We could fill some holes.

Crash
02-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Kolb...LOL

When the Steelers released Hoyer Haley supposedly called Whiz and told him he thought Hoyer was better than anything the Cards had on their roster.

And now you want Ben traded for a guy who Haley thought wasn't better than a guy they signed off the street?

Smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.

coldrolled
02-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Kolb...LOL

When the Steelers released Hoyer Haley supposedly called Whiz and told him he thought Hoyer was better than anything the Cards had on their roster.

And now you want Ben traded for a guy who Haley thought wasn't better than a guy they signed off the street?

Smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.

use your imagination...
it would never happen.

you would have a #7, #17, # 38, #48, #69 plus Kolb... Then Sign Hoyer and trade Kolb for another #3.

Plus the Cap Space...

Plus Ben is happy and back with BA....

steelchamp204
02-09-2013, 01:09 PM

I guees you havent seen Adams play when healthy and Decastro had a whopping what? 3 starts. Cam Heyward does great when he actually plays, but you wouldnt know that, you just think he starts? Hood is bust and we all recognized that here and already moved on from it. If you are a packers fan, you shoul realize that the front 3 defensive linemen are not going to get all the sexy stats that you seem to think they should get or else they are labeled a "bust"

SteelCityKid5
02-09-2013, 02:23 PM
I believe preseason I sad I wouldnt mind a down year (losing record) because I knew what challenges the front office had ahead of them. The Steelers need a transition year if they want to compete for another SB with Ben. All of that doesnt change in just one year but it surely helps.

connecticutsteel
02-09-2013, 04:53 PM
this was supposed to be a salary cap dicussion but i guess that went over your heads?

puresteel20
02-09-2013, 05:16 PM
I am new to this site as a member. Love the Steelers like a mother seeing her first new born. My first question for the forum is... Is weakdraft a Steelers fan ? I think not. Dude... why are you on here ? There's another guy that goes by the name ravenator that is always on a Steelers blog. I ask WHY ? Go find your rathole where your ratbirds feed on species. Smae goes for this packer fan. You folks are obviously undercover, wanna be Steelers fans. Weakdraft, you are a "tool". Do us a favor and go be another fan's tool. You have 31 others to choose from. But I must say you are amusing but irritating at the same time. Will be waiting to read what other nonsense comes out of your mouth. You sir/madam which ever you are, are PATHETIC.

Crash
02-09-2013, 05:38 PM
use your imagination...
it would never happen.

you would have a #7, #17, # 38, #48, #69 plus Kolb... Then Sign Hoyer and trade Kolb for another #3.

Plus the Cap Space...

Plus Ben is happy and back with BA....

What cap space? Ben's entire hit would swell up the 2013 cap.

Nolrog
02-09-2013, 07:38 PM
1. Ziggy has not been a bust per say. He has been as productive as you can expect. He was just never a player who fitted the system.

This brings up something I've been discussing with my buddy for a while. What's expected out of a draft and out of a #1 pick. Certainly, I agree that Hood has not provided #1 value. But what should that value be? Is it too much to expect a #1 pick should be an all-pro? Hood starts, but shouldn't the expectation be higher than that?

From a draft class as a whole, what should be expected? Should we expect at least 2 starters, one an all-pro and maybe 4 total contributors (e.g., starters and back ups; not including special teams)? Where would you draw the line to call the entire draft class a bust?

It's interesting, because I've felt for a while that Colbert gets way too many accolades for his drafting prowess, but I don't think the drafting has been as great as he seems to get credit for.

cmerrifield
02-09-2013, 07:42 PM
What cap space? Ben's entire hit would swell up the 2013 cap.

How do you figure? It would be about his salary.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

JensK
02-09-2013, 08:00 PM
This brings up something I've been discussing with my buddy for a while. What's expected out of a draft and out of a #1 pick. Certainly, I agree that Hood has not provided #1 value. But what should that value be? Is it too much to expect a #1 pick should be an all-pro? Hood starts, but shouldn't the expectation be higher than that?

From a draft class as a whole, what should be expected? Should we expect at least 2 starters, one an all-pro and maybe 4 total contributors (e.g., starters and back ups; not including special teams)? Where would you draw the line to call the entire draft class a bust?

It's interesting, because I've felt for a while that Colbert gets way too many accolades for his drafting prowess, but I don't think the drafting has been as great as he seems to get credit for.

Its an interesting debate which, to me, is two-fold. First of all you have to take into account who is drafted and when. Then you have to take into account the circumstances in which he is drafted into. Lets use Hood as an example.

First of all, at 32 he was actually decent value. He was probably not the best player available, but he was a cringe first round talent. So far then, the pick makes sense.

Now the issue is that he was drafted out of position. You draft a 4-3 UT to play 3-4 DE. As such, you cannot expect him to contribute form the get-go. It is very seldom to see players like Woodley who transition into a different system without a degree of difficulty. At the given time, that was fine because we did not have an immediate need for a starter. So he was drafted to be molded into another one of our good solid DEs.

Now, the pick is obviously a gamble. Colbert had to know that he used a first round pick on a player who was going to transition from a position to another. There are multiple issues with that. First of all, you are usually somewhat under/oversized. Secondly, you are not playing the same technique as you used to. This means that he must have had a strong belief that Hood was capable of adoption the new information.

This brings me to my second point. Hood was drafted into an organization with extremely high standards for DE play. Both the staff and the fans expect a lot from you, meaning he knew he had to become an entirely different player in order to not be labeled as a bust.

There will be different opinions on this matter, but in my book Hood has looked bad in our system. The question then becomes, can you blame him or Colbert? There is no doubt in my mind that Hood would have been a very very good player in, for instance, Colts system at the time in which he was drafted. Instead, he was picked by Pittsburgh who demanded him to make a transition which he proved to be incapable of making to the fullest. Yes, you can partly blame him for not being talented enough to make that transition, but you can also blame the entire Steelers scouting staff for not doing their homework properly. Hood was never in a position in which he thrived. It would be like putting an Charlie Batch into Ravens offensive system. It would be an ugly affair.

Can he be labeled a bust then? Well, he has been starting as you also point out. Yet we have not really seen the kind of production which we expect from a first-round pick; especially with the credentials our first-round picks have had over the last decade. Yet, you cannot fault the player entirely, which is also why I'm hesitant to call him a bust; after all, you get the feeling that under the right circumstances he would be a very dominant player.

weakdraft
02-10-2013, 03:01 AM
I am new to this site as a member. Love the Steelers like a mother seeing her first new born. My first question for the forum is... Is weakdraft a Steelers fan ? I think not. Dude... why are you on here ? There's another guy that goes by the name ravenator that is always on a Steelers blog. I ask WHY ? Go find your rathole where your ratbirds feed on species. Smae goes for this packer fan. You folks are obviously undercover, wanna be Steelers fans. Weakdraft, you are a "tool". Do us a favor and go be another fan's tool. You have 31 others to choose from. But I must say you are amusing but irritating at the same time. Will be waiting to read what other nonsense comes out of your mouth. You sir/madam which ever you are, are PATHETIC.

I'm a steeler fan since 1968, Before that I liked the AFC. The Steelers sucked badly in the 60's.

I'm a realistic person, we can't play with the big boys now, we need to rebuild, Tomlin can't coach, and Ben won 2 SB's in spite of himself.

I'm not a rah rah fan, and I don't ride the bandwagon to be cool.

I played ball enough to know that you have to run the play called in the huddle, and you have to put points on the board, and you have to BE ABLE TO throw thw ball deep.

DBR96A
02-10-2013, 08:35 AM
I played ball enough to know that you have to run the play called in the huddle, and you have to put points on the board, and you have to BE ABLE TO throw thw ball deep.

Ah, is this where we list our credentials, as if that somehow makes us credible? ESPN is loaded with former NFL players who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Crash
02-10-2013, 11:30 AM
How do you figure? It would be about his salary.

When you trade a player his entire bonus remaining is an immediate cap hit.

cmerrifield
02-10-2013, 11:34 AM
When you trade a player his entire bonus remaining is an immediate cap hit.

Which was initially 4 million a year, and then last year he renegotiated his salary adding about 12 to the hit making that hit 24 instead of the 20 if we keep him.

ChucktownSteeler
02-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Who where the next 10 players drafted after Ziggy?

Crash
02-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Which was initially 4 million a year, and then last year he renegotiated his salary adding about 12 to the hit making that hit 24 instead of the 20 if we keep him.

So again, what cap space do we get for 2013 if we trade him?

steelchamp204
02-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Who where the next 10 players drafted after Ziggy?

33. Louis Delmas
34. Patrick Chung
35. James Laurinaitis
36. Brian Robiskie
37. Alphonso Smith
38. Rey Maualuga
39. Eben Britton
40. Ron Brace
41. Darius Butler
42. Jarius Byrd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

LatrobePA
02-10-2013, 01:05 PM
33. Louis Delmas
34. Patrick Chung
35. James Laurinaitis
36. Brian Robiskie
37. Alphonso Smith
38. Rey Maualuga
39. Eben Britton
40. Ron Brace
41. Darius Butler
42. Jarius Byrd

Wow!!! We passed some damn good players for this stiff!

steelchamp204
02-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Wow!!! We passed some damn good players for this stiff!

:lol:

cmerrifield
02-10-2013, 04:53 PM
So again, what cap space do we get for 2013 if we trade him?

Sorry, misunderstood the previous statement that started by posts. You were right, my bad

ChucktownSteeler
02-10-2013, 05:26 PM
33. Louis Delmas
34. Patrick Chung
35. James Laurinaitis
36. Brian Robiskie
37. Alphonso Smith
38. Rey Maualuga
39. Eben Britton
40. Ron Brace
41. Darius Butler
42. Jarius Byrd

Thanks for posting.

Although the draft is not a pure science and it is hard to remember our biggest need back then, in hindsight I think we passed on some good players. Our LB and secondary was more stout and younger but would love to have a few of these players now.

Of all our recent #1 draft picks, I think Ziggy might be the most disappointing.

C-town

LatrobePA
02-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Read today that the steelers are goin to a zone blocking team, goodbye to the fat *** slobs, Dwyer, Redman will be gone! Mendy will fit this better so there's a chance they keep him...

LatrobePA
02-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Are Steelers ready to implement zone-blocking scheme?

By Dan Hanzus

Published: February 10, 2013 at 7:24 AM PST

Modified: February 10, 2013 at 7:24 AM PST

It's no secret the Pittsburgh Steelers were inhibited this season by their inability to run the football.

Mike Tomlin 's team finished 26th in the league in rushing in 2012, averaging a meager 3.7 yards per carry. It's been a three-year downward tick in Pittsburgh, which finished 14th in 2011 and 11th in 2010.

This will lead to wholesale changes along the line. Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote Sunday the team isn't expected to pursue left tackle Max Starks and right guard Ramon Foster as they enter free agency. The team is also expected to cut left guard Willie Colon.

But changes will likely go beyond personnel. Dulac wonders if offensive coordinator Todd Haley and new offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. are heading toward a zone-blocking scheme. Bicknell told the Steelers ' site last week he wants the team to get away from linemen "who get huge and then they can't bend and move." The new preference is players "who can move, run and have the quickness off the ball 'to get into people.' "

Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey is ideally suited for a philosophy shift, as is right guard David DeCastro , the 2012 first-round pick who missed most of his rookie season with a knee injury. According to Dulac, Pouncey and DeCastro "epitomize the long, lean body type the Steelers seek to employ on the offensive line."

The zone-blocking scheme can be extremely effective, but it's not easy to pull off. In an essay from his great book "Smart Football," Chris Brown explained how the scheme requires total committment from a coaching staff and all 11 offensive players. Linemen must be agile, wide receivers and even quarterbacks are expected to block, and running backs need to make correct cut-and-go decisions.

Rashard Mendenhall has the skill-set to thrive in this role ... if the Steelers decide to bring him back (far from a sure thing). Meanwhile, a schematic shift could be bad news for Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman , straight-ahead runners who fit a mold the Steelers could be set to break free of.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus .

ChucktownSteeler
02-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Read today that the steelers are goin to a zone blocking team, goodbye to the fat *** slobs, Dwyer, Redman will be gone! Mendy will fit this better so there's a chance they keep him...

I read that as well. It sounds like great news to me. Gilbert to LT, DeCastro LG, Pouncey C, RG (Beachum???), Adams RT (He is a solid run blocker). Our OL just great younger in a hurry, not sure if any of the above are over 23 years old. Now if we can add some depth the OL should be set for 10 years.

This draft needs to be about LB, RB, and S!

C-town

Big T
02-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Mendenhall would be very, very good in a zone blocking scheme. Especially if the line can stay healthy. If they go zone they better resign Mendenhall, sign Reggie Bush, or draft a guy like Eddie Lacy/Giovani Bernard. Redman/Dwyer would be useless.

LatrobePA
02-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Mendenhall would be very, very good in a zone blocking scheme. Especially if the line can stay healthy. If they go zone they better resign Mendenhall, sign Reggie Bush, or draft a guy like Eddie Lacy/Giovani Bernard. Redman/Dwyer would be useless.

I likey!!

ChucktownSteeler
02-10-2013, 05:55 PM

I like that! Still would love to draft a RB like Lacy, Giaovani, or Ellington. Heck, why not take a shot at Lattimore in the later rounds.

My question is: Has Mendy burned too many bridges with Tomlin to re-sign?

C-town

Crash
02-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Mendenhall is gone. Let it go.

Real Deal Steel
02-10-2013, 07:48 PM
There is word from the local Pittsburgh paper that the offense may be going to a zone blocking scheme. A scheme that would better suit Mendenhall. Don't know how true it is but that's what's being reported.

ChucktownSteeler
02-10-2013, 08:49 PM
There is word from the local Pittsburgh paper that the offense may be going to a zone blocking scheme. A scheme that would better suit Mendenhall. Don't know how true it is but that's what's being reported.

That could be very true. Saw an article earlier suggesting the same. I just don't know if Mendy will be back, he may have burned too many bridges.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-10-2013, 09:25 PM

I've been hoping and suggesting that they go to a zone scheme all winter. They are built for it up front now.

But I don't think they should bring mendy back. Hes never shown the vision or quickness to suggest he'll be a great zone back.

Joique Bell is the answer... ( or just my sleeper "next" RB)

Real Deal Steel
02-11-2013, 01:05 AM
I have to admit, a zone blocking scheme where Mendy would essentially be making one cut (on paper) sounds outstanding.

Nolrog
02-11-2013, 09:08 AM

The new OL coach they hired is a zone block guy, so I'd say that's likely the scheme they will use.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-11-2013, 10:54 AM

I really don't see a ZBS being a benefit to Mendy. He is not a decisive runner.

Couple Names to look at in free agency ( considering the move to ZBS)

1. Joiquie Bell - I know... I know... i'm becoming repetitive. He's also RFA. He's gonna be a player in the NFL
2. Felix Jones - BUST. But only 25. And DEFINITELY has the one cut skill set necessary to be effective in a zone scheme. I've never liked him. I can't believe I have him on a list... BUT... he is the one free agent who has the type of ceiling that we could hit a home run with.
3. Justin Forsett - We are going to need a return guy as well. Forsett is an undersized guy, who is never going to be an every down back. But he is a good fit as a change of pace guy in ZBS. With added use as a return guy. He was highly successful in limited opportunities behind the best zone blocking line in football (houston)
4. Tim Hightower - A proven zone runner. Not sure what the status is on his reconstructed knee, but I'd like get him in camp on the cheap and find out
5. Brandon Jackson - A total bust.. should be league minimum cheap. Is an effective 3rd down back.

Zachintosh66
02-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Mendy is as good as gone...

Glad they are moving to incorporate the zone a bit... welcome to the 21st Century. Most Jr. High's even run some sort of zone now a days...

Im still bugging over our RB situation... were gonna lose our best back/headcase. But then we got 3 mediocres behind him. Granted I like Dwyer the best of them all, and bitched to get Redman some PT. But seriously, if we gotta bank on these 3 guys :duh:

Everyone wants a good offense... Now we got no #1 WR, No #1 RB and our #1 TE is out, and our #1 QB has to run for his life every year behind a "potentially good" OL. Looks like our best offensive weapon is gonna be our #1 K. :evilshake:

Im not trying to be negative, but our FO has got to pull some miracles off in order that we wont be looking UP to 8-8. :(

Real Deal Steel
02-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Well, they refuse to use free agency in a real way. Coupled with dumbo Colbert missing on draft picks,

Meaning all need areas won't be properly addressed.

steelchamp204
02-11-2013, 12:17 PM

Glad they are moving to incorporate the zone a bit... welcome to the 21st Century. Most Jr. High's even run some sort of zone now a days...

Im still bugging over our RB situation... were gonna lose our best back/headcase. But then we got 3 mediocres behind him. Granted I like Dwyer the best of them all, and bitched to get Redman some PT. But seriously, if we gotta bank on these 3 guys :duh:

Everyone wants a good offense... Now we got no #1 WR, No #1 RB and our #1 TE is out, and our #1 QB has to run for his life every year behind a "potentially good" OL. Looks like our best offensive weapon is gonna be our #1 K. :evilshake:

Im not trying to be negative, but our FO has got to pull some miracles off in order that we wont be looking UP to 8-8. :(

I think next year is going to be a struggle. People tend to forget Heath being injured, Wallace is going to be somewhere else it seems, we dont have a true back behind Mendy. I have no clue what this O-line coach is capable of or what schemes he will run. The draft isn't really strong. There are a lot of question marks left out there for now. I still think Tomlin is the guy to lead this team, but my confidence in him is dwindling year by year.

It could easily be a 9-7 year, it could also be a 6-10 season also with the improvements of Cincy/Baltimore and the the schedule the Steelers have next season.

connecticutsteel
02-11-2013, 12:44 PM
colbert built a super bowl champ how can he be a dumbo?

Zachintosh66
02-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Restructuring:

Ed Buchette was saying were not gonna be able to restructutre guys like we did last year and save a bunch of $. Only ones it would be feasable were: Heath, AB, Wood, Timmons, Ike.

What do we think about extending Ben... yes he has 3 years left. But he has a huge # this year and Buchette says we really wouldnt have the room to re-do him again. So what if we just extended him. We could surely drop a lot of his cap # from this year...

LatrobePA
02-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Pretty decent read:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000137993/article/offseason-forecast-pittsburgh-steelers

Crash
02-11-2013, 02:35 PM
They can do the Ben base salary into a bonus again but at some point they are going to have to extend him.

Bouchette doesn't do a good job of following the cap. They can redo several deals and get about $15 mil under.

Real Deal Steel
02-11-2013, 04:39 PM
colbert built a super bowl champ how can he be a dumbo?

Have you looked at Colbert's selections and players he's bypassed lately? The game is changing and he isn't adapting his selections to the latest rules of the game. La Beau's system's can't make up for the lack of talent in the secondary. We need actual athletes back there now. Not just warm bodies that follow La Beau's " System"

NeilPatrickBanana
02-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Have you looked at Colbert's selections and players he's bypassed lately? The game is changing and he isn't adapting his selections to the latest rules of the game. La Beau's system's can't make up for the lack of talent in the secondary. We need actual athletes back there now. Not just warm bodies that follow La Beau's " System"

we need athletes that "don't" follow the system?

coldrolled
02-11-2013, 11:16 PM

Throw it all in now...... Trade Ben to the Jaguars, Miami, or Cards for their #1, #2, #3 and something next year.

Trade other veteran players for more picks.. and get young real fast...

Then trade down some of those picks for more picks.... Get crazy.... lol

weakdraft
02-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Trade Ben to Seattle for Flynn. Then trade Mendy to Oakland for Taiwan Jones. BOOM, back in business.

cmerrifield
02-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Trade Ben to Seattle for Flynn. Then trade Mendy to Oakland for Taiwan Jones. BOOM, back in business.

Cant trade a free agent, I am surprised someone who played for as long as you played didnt know that.

JollyRob68
02-12-2013, 01:51 AM
Need a change in defensive philosophy,correction defensive leadership. Promote Keith Butler.

JollyRob68
02-12-2013, 01:53 AM
Trade Ben to Arizona for 1st, Kolb & Peterson. If you're gonna dream,dream big.

weakdraft
02-12-2013, 03:05 AM
If we are talking switching to a zone blocking scheme, the line flows right or left and the RB is free to pick a hole or cut back. Might as well run some counter tre too.

It allows special athlete RB's to operate in space. Taiwan Jones and Felix Jones could be available, and I'd try for the Taiwan variety.

coldrolled
02-12-2013, 07:44 AM
we need athletes that "don't" follow the system?

We would be like the Bengals.. lol

Real Deal Steel
02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
We need athletes that can do more then just what the system sets them up to do.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
We need athletes that can do more then just what the system sets them up to do.

Meh, not according to Mike Shannahan. Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell all rushed for 1,000 yards. If the System is ran properly, you just plug in players who fit AND BUY INTO the system.

Real Deal Steel
02-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Terrell Davis WAS an athelete. The other guys were system guys as you suggested. But this isn't that system. Atleast, not yet.