PDA

View Full Version : Ben has 3 years left on his current contract; extension after 2013?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2013, 04:01 AM
It's not something we think about very often, but Big Ben's contract is starting to come to an end (3 years left on his $102 million dollar deal). If the Steelers follow suit, they'll extend him after 2013, with 2 years remaining on his deal at that time. How much and for how long is anybody's guess but he'll be 32 at that time and certainly they'll have to start considering drafting his replacement.

Drafting a key backup now is fine, and definitely needed, but it's not going to be all that far away before they'll need to really consider how much time he'll have left. I think we'd all be happy if Ben lasts 15 years in the league, but at the rate he's going that's no guarantee.

https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

steelchamp204
01-29-2013, 05:27 AM
Id like to see the steelers do something with Klein. I think he would be there in the late rounds. What could it hurt? Ben is not going to be the guy to tutor someone. His play is unique. Ben cant teach the next guy how to extend plays or teach his ability of pocket awarness.

The only thing I think Ben will be able to teach is how to read defenses.

LatrobePA
01-29-2013, 09:57 AM
I'll get flamed I'm sure but Ben should have to earn the extension, he needs to stay clean he's no spring chicken anymore. Throw the fn ball away instead of taking stupid hits, 2 years in a row now he's gotten hurt holding the ball too long...

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2013, 12:24 PM
I'll get flamed I'm sure but Ben should have to earn the extension, he needs to stay clean he's no spring chicken anymore. Throw the fn ball away instead of taking stupid hits, 2 years in a row now he's gotten hurt holding the ball too long...

You're not going to get flamed from me.....I think you're correct and Ben is going to have show he can stay healthy over the next few seasons for him to be resigned by the Steelers.....But one thing in his favor is right now the Steelers don't have a QB to take his place on the roster....That was always be a factor as well......

coldrolled
01-29-2013, 12:38 PM
You're not going to get flamed from.....I think you're correct and Ben is going to have show he can stay healthy over the next few seasons for him to be resigned by the Steelers.....But one thing in his favor is right now the Steelers don't have a QB to take his place on the roster....That was always be a factor as well......

We will if he keeps holding the ball all day and if he gets knocked out in the first few weeks of the season, we will be picking #1 in a year or two.. Then well get the replacement.

Real Deal Steel
01-29-2013, 12:45 PM
No flaming from me either. Ben needs to do better and get rid of the ball. He has to shoulder the blame for the things he's done wrong too. Everyone must be held accountable of their actions.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2013, 01:51 PM
We will if he keeps holding the ball all day and if he gets knocked out in the first few weeks of the season, we will be picking #1 in a year or two.. Then well get the replacement.

Yea but I'm talking right now and as of now the Steelers don't have that replacement on the roster....This is a weak draft for QBs so I wouldn't be on the Steelers finding Ben's potential replacement this year.......I'm just saying when Ben's contract is up and if there isn't a legit replacement on the roster that will also factor in Ben getting his contract extended.......

NYCsteelersfan
01-29-2013, 02:24 PM
With this offensive line and an inept head coach that is unable to fix it, sadly, Roethlisberger's career will be all but done in three years. Having an elite QB was fun while it lasted.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-29-2013, 02:30 PM
With this offensive line and an inept head coach that is unable to fix it, sadly, Roethlisberger's career will be all but done in three years. Having an elite QB was fun while it lasted.

in 3 years, it will have lasted 12 years... pretty long time for any franchise QB

NYCsteelersfan
01-29-2013, 02:38 PM
in 3 years, it will have lasted 12 years... pretty long time for any franchise QB

Not as long as it could've been had he been given the same offensive line protection that other franchise quarterbacks are given.

steelchamp204
01-29-2013, 02:53 PM
I wouldnt be suprised at all if they didnt resign him, after seeing Manning left go by the colts, I am a b eliever that hardly anyone anymore will finish with the team they started with.

weakdraft
01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
You guys worry about Ben getting hurt for holding the ball too long. But you fail to realize that when you call a play in the huddle, and the QB doesn't run the pass play because he holds the ball, you have a complete breakdown and start to play backyard ball.
On almost every play, Ben holds the ball and the play breaks down. So why bother calling plays, just hike the ball and play backyard ball.

Everytime Ben pulls it down and scrambles, thats another play called that never gets ran. So how do you evaluate your OC and playcalling.??????????/

NYCsteelersfan
01-29-2013, 03:10 PM
You guys worry about Ben getting hurt for holding the ball too long. But you fail to realize that when you call a play in the huddle, and the QB doesn't run the pass play because he holds the ball, you have a complete breakdown and start to play backyard ball.
On almost every play, Ben holds the ball and the play breaks down. So why bother calling plays, just hike the ball and play backyard ball.

Everytime Ben pulls it down and scrambles, thats another play called that never gets ran. So how do you evaluate your OC and playcalling.??????????/

There's a complete breakdown because the play never has a chance to start because there is almost never a real protective pocket for the quarterback to run the play properly. He pulls it down and scrambles because the pocket has crumbled or is about to crumble and he can clearly feel it crumbling.

Learn to watch everything that's going on on the field. Don't just stare at the quarterback and make an idiotic analysis about how Roethlisberger ruins plays by playing backyard football.

Goodfrom55
01-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Should he be extended? Absolutely. Should he throw more balls away? yes.

With Ben, you live by the broken play, you die by the broken play.

I for one, think the Steelers O-line will be much improved in 2013 as will the running game. This alone should take some of the pressure off oe Ben to do EVERTYTHING.

NYCsteelersfan
01-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Should he be extended? Absolutely. Should he throw more balls away? yes.

With Ben, you live by the broken play, you die by the broken play.

I for one, think the Steelers O-line will be much improved in 2013 as will the running game. This alone should take some of the pressure off oe Ben to do EVERTYTHING.

If he threw the ball away like other pocket passers do to avoid the hit, with the current Steelers offensive line, he would be throwing away a whole lot of balls.

I hope you're right about the offensive line being better this season.

Goodfrom55
01-29-2013, 03:21 PM
There will be healthy young linemen to start the season, a new coach and hopefully a new RB or an old RB with a new attitude (if the Steelers retain Mendy). Blind optimism? Perhaps, but I just can't see it being any worse than this year.

Only reason Manning was let go was becuase the Colts could not have Manning and Luck on the roster at the same time.

weakdraft
01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
I played ball for 8 years, so I'm still learning how to "watch" football.

Don't try to tell me its the O-lines fault. You only get about 3 seconds in big boy ball to throw the rock.

Crash
01-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Yeah Ben start chucking the ball away from the pocket on 3rd and 4.

Then people will bitch about that too.

How about we get a real OC who values a franchise QB instead of just being an owner's puppet?

NYCsteelersfan
01-29-2013, 05:41 PM

Don't try to tell me its the O-lines fault. You only get about 3 seconds in big boy ball to throw the rock.

Save the "I played ball" for the grandchildren. 3 comfortable seconds. Watch a Giants or Patriots game and count how many comfortable seconds Eli Manning and Brady get. It's usually more than 3, but never less. If you think Roethlisberger gets 3 comfortable seconds on a snap, then you should've spent those 8 years watching football instead of playing it.

Nolrog
01-29-2013, 06:10 PM

I agree. I'd like to see his performance the next two years before extending him. He's taken a lot of shots over the years, so I'd like to see him stay healthy and put up good numbers.

greg1964
01-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Not as long as it could've been had he been given the same offensive line protection that other franchise quarterbacks are given.

Was it the offense line or Ben style of play: Ben chooses NOT to be a system QB, what I mean is a plant back foot, ball out within 1/2 second afterward. (i.e Brady, Manning, Brees) and for that reason the O-Line looks worst them it ready is: In fact the last two years Ben got hurt holding onto the ball (ie. trying to extent the play).

The reason he does this because he isn't great reading the defense and knowing where to throw the ball, without see the receiver open. Ben dosen't throw the receiver open, as much as he has to see the receiver open.

Real Deal Steel
01-31-2013, 01:54 PM
And he doesn't seem to want to learn to either.

tburg68
01-31-2013, 02:28 PM

Yeah Ben start chucking the ball away from the pocket on 3rd and 4.

Then people will bitch about that too.

How about we get a real OC who values a franchise QB instead of just being an owner's puppet?

Didn't they already make a couple movies called "Dumb & Dumber"? Too bad, I could've recommended the stars.

LatrobePA
01-31-2013, 02:45 PM
8-8 with the #1 defense is far from acceptable in my book.. Ben started hot then fizzled, I blame him as to why this team went nowhere this season, some very bad decisions.. Flame away boys!!

tburg68
01-31-2013, 03:02 PM
Check the stats before injury and after injury. Check Defensive stats in 4th Qtr vs. the rest of the game.

LatrobePA
01-31-2013, 03:17 PM
Check Ben's INT's first half vs second half! The dude gave two if not 3 games away that sealed our fate.

I'd be careful signing him to another long term deal unless he can prove he can stay healthy and make better decisions!

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 03:54 PM

Not as long as it could've been if he got rid of the ball as quickly as other franchise quarterbacks

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 03:55 PM
There's a complete breakdown because the play never has a chance to start because there is almost never a real protective pocket for the quarterback to run the play properly. He pulls it down and scrambles because the pocket has crumbled or is about to crumble and he can clearly feel it crumbling.

Learn to watch everything that's going on on the field. Don't just stare at the quarterback and make an idiotic analysis about how Roethlisberger ruins plays by playing backyard football.

speaking of idiotic analysis...

LatrobePA
01-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Not as long as it could've been if he got rid of the ball as quickly as other franchise quarterbacks

clap clap clap!

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Save the "I played ball" for the grandchildren. 3 comfortable seconds. Watch a Giants or Patriots game and count how many comfortable seconds Eli Manning and Brady get. It's usually more than 3, but never less. If you think Roethlisberger gets 3 comfortable seconds on a snap, then you should've spent those 8 years watching football instead of playing it.

I heard on ESPN that sometimes Eli has less than 3 seconds

NYCsteelersfan
01-31-2013, 04:17 PM
speaking of idiotic analysis...

Go suck the d$&k of whichever young quarterback ESPN tells you is good. And stop following me around the forum. Stop stalking my posts. I'm not a young quarterback. My d$&k isn't going in your mouth.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Stop stalking my posts.

Stop being stupid.

NYCsteelersfan
01-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Stop being stupid.

Everything that comes out of your mouth is moronic and everything that goes in is the meat of young quarterbacks that ESPN tells you is good. "Luck is more talented than Roethlisberger." You're agenda was exposed a long time ago and no one wants to hear your $hit disguised in what you think is impressive articulation.

You're a fantasy football playing, ESPN d$&k slobbish, Roethlisberger hating fool. I ignore your posts. Stop commenting on mine. I can't $hit in your mouth for obvious reasons, so there's no reason to address me on this forum.

NYCsteelersfan
01-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Was it the offense line or Ben style of play: Ben chooses NOT to be a system QB, what I mean is a plant back foot, ball out within 1/2 second afterward. (i.e Brady, Manning, Brees) and for that reason the O-Line looks worst them it ready is: In fact the last two years Ben got hurt holding onto the ball (ie. trying to extent the play).

The reason he does this because he isn't great reading the defense and knowing where to throw the ball, without see the receiver open. Ben dosen't throw the receiver open, as much as he has to see the receiver open.

The offensive line crumbles instantaneously on nearly every play because Roethlisberger doesn't plant his back foot and throw the ball away immediately? That makes no sense. If he throws the ball away on every play within 1/2 second, then the offensive line doesn't have to do a thing. Manning and Brady benefit from offensive lines that can maintain the pocket for longer than 1/2 second if they have to. Manning didn't buy his linemen Rolexes for protecticting him for only 1/2 second on every snap. Manning's reliance on offensive line protection is clear from the fact that whenever defenses bring solid pressure, he folds like a bum, as he has so often in the playoffs.

Brady also benefits from a strong offensive line and a great offensive scheme, which is evident from Castle's performance when he took over.

This doesn't mean that Manning and Brady aren't great, but it does mean that offensive linemen are unsung heroes and nameless villains who make a massive difference. Almost everyone on offense will get credit or receive blame for an offense's performance before offensive linemen.

Anyone who pays attention to offensive linemen and don't just stare at the QB's *** know that the Steelers offensive line is a joke. That's not to say that Roethlisberger can't be better and do things to supplement the poor play of his offensive line, but that also doesn't mean that the Steelers' offensive line isn't a disaster.

Goodfrom55
01-31-2013, 05:04 PM
8-8 with the #1 defense is far from acceptable in my book.. Ben started hot then fizzled, I blame him as to why this team went nowhere this season, some very bad decisions.. Flame away boys!!

Wouldn't flame you, but before Ben got hurt, he was having a career year, and then came back from an injury too soon and was a shell of himself. 70 percent Ben is better than 100 percent batch or lefty. When he got hurt, I thought to myself this season is over and they should IR him.

Ben clearly made some bad throws and he doesn't get a pass for that (no pun intended). Would really like to see Ben have the time to execute the play by sitting in the pocket rather than extending the play by running for his life. Yes, a running game is important; look at Elway. Arguably one of the best QB's to ever play the game, Elway did nothing before Terell Davis arrived - or at least he was not able to win a SB without a good running game.

Extend Ben - he's more than earned it in my book.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 05:23 PM
Everything that comes out of your mouth is moronic and everything that goes in is the meat of young quarterbacks that ESPN tells you is good. "Luck is more talented than Roethlisberger." You're agenda was exposed a long time ago and no one wants to hear your $hit disguised in what you think is impressive articulation.

You're a fantasy football playing, ESPN d$&k slobbish, Roethlisberger hating fool. I ignore your posts. Stop commenting on mine. I can't $hit in your mouth for obvious reasons, so there's no reason to address me on this forum.

There is every reason to address you. You are the resident clown. You provide us entertainment with your adolescent language and uninformed football rants.

You are the clown, you exist to provide us endless amusement.

Please Proceed

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 05:27 PM
The offensive line crumbles instantaneously on nearly every play because Roethlisberger doesn't plant his back foot and throw the ball away immediately? That makes no sense. If he throws the ball away on every play within 1/2 second, then the offensive line doesn't have to do a thing. Manning and Brady benefit from offensive lines that can maintain the pocket for longer than 1/2 second if they have to. Manning didn't buy his linemen Rolexes for protecticting him for only 1/2 second on every snap. Manning's reliance on offensive line protection is clear from the fact that whenever defenses bring solid pressure, he folds like a bum, as he has so often in the playoffs.

Brady also benefits from a strong offensive line and a great offensive scheme, which is evident from Castle's performance when he took over.

This doesn't mean that Manning and Brady aren't great, but it does mean that offensive linemen are unsung heroes and nameless villains who make a massive difference. Almost everyone on offense will get credit or receive blame for an offense's performance before offensive linemen.

Anyone who pays attention to offensive linemen and don't just stare at the QB's *** know that the Steelers offensive line is a joke. That's not to say that Roethlisberger can't be better and do things to supplement the poor play of his offensive line, but that also doesn't mean that the Steelers' offensive line isn't a disaster.

Do you intentionally use hyperbole to hide the fact that you're wholesomely ignorant as to what quality offensive line play is?

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Pittsburgh ranked 15th in the NFL in Pass Protection this year based on Adj Sack Rate

PFF ranked Pitt Pass Protection 10th (I have a high regard for PFF, maybe others don't)

NYCsteelersfan
01-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Do you intentionally use hyperbole to hide the fact that you're wholesomely ignorant as to what quality offensive line play is?

Do you think using words like hyperbole on a sports forum will make it any less apparent that you watch football just to fantasize about sucking the quarterback's d$&k?

NYCsteelersfan
01-31-2013, 05:37 PM
Pittsburgh ranked 15th in the NFL in Pass Protection this year based on Adj Sack Rate

PFF ranked Pitt Pass Protection 10th (I have a high regard for PFF, maybe others don't)

Of course only an idiot who only knows how to sit behind a computer and look up stats on worthless sites would say something stupid like "according to blank, the a steelers offensive line was pretty good." Meanwhile, a 10 year old could watch a Steelers game and plainly see that the offensive line is inept at both pass protection and run blocking. You're like the Candide of the forum. Everything you say is backed by worthless subjective statistics from sites that ignore obvious empirical evidence as much as you like to.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 05:37 PM
Do you think using words like hyperbole on a sports forum will make it any less apparent that you watch football just to fantasize about sucking the quarterback's d$&k?

Do you think constantly talking about dick doesn't make it obvious to everyone that you dig turtles?

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Of course only an idiot who only knows how to sit behind a computer and look up stats on worthless sites would say something stupid like "according to blank, the a steelers offensive line was pretty good." Meanwhile, a 10 year old could watch a Steelers game and plainly see that the offensive line is inept at both pass protection and run blocking. You're like the Candide of the forum. Everything you say is backed by worthless subjective statistics from sites that ignore obvious empirical evidence as much as you like to.

I agree, you have the viewpoint of a 10 yr old

NYCsteelersfan
01-31-2013, 05:43 PM
I agree, your viewpoint and that of a 10 year old would fall into the same category

You think Flacco is elite and you want to suck him off? Okay. Enjoy. Now stop addressing me.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
You think Flacco is elite and you want to suck him off? Okay. Enjoy. Now stop addressing me.

Stop being stupid

NYCsteelersfan
01-31-2013, 05:51 PM
Stop being stupid

Stop typing with Flacco and Luck's elite d$&ks in your mouth. Go finish what you enjoy most. Stop addressing me.

Crash
01-31-2013, 06:44 PM

Yeah I wish Ben was more like Brees. Where winning more than 8 games a year is about a 50/50 shot.

Crash
01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
What's Brady done since Spygate? Squat.

What's Peyton done for most of his post season career? Squat.

The only advantage those three have? They don't stop throwing.

We get a second half lead? We try to run the ball.

Crash
01-31-2013, 06:47 PM
I heard on ESPN that sometimes Eli has less than 3 seconds

And he's missed the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years and led the NFL in picks twice since 2007.

See?

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 06:50 PM
Stop typing with Flacco and Luck's elite d$&ks in your mouth. Go finish what you enjoy most. Stop addressing me.

I enjoy your stupidity most

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 06:55 PM
What's Brady done since Spygate? Squat.

What's Peyton done for most of his post season career? Squat.

The only advantage those three have? They don't stop throwing.

We get a second half lead? We try to run the ball.

The need for certain steelers fans to down play what every other QB in the NFL has done is what separates the intelligent fans from the homers

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 06:55 PM
And he's missed the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years and led the NFL in picks twice since 2007.

See?

Nope

Crash
01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
The need for certain steelers fans to down play what every other QB in the NFL has done is what separates the intelligent fans from the homers

Ben's won more than Peyton and Brady since 2004.

All they do is get fat on regular season doormats.

Ben could do that too if we chose to.

But we can't. Too worried about running and protecting our defense.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 07:26 PM
All they do is win their division and get to the post season every year

Crash
01-31-2013, 07:34 PM
All they do is win their division and get to the post season every year

They play in a garbage division. Not hard to do.

But since they lost their camera's? No rings.

Brees? He's missed the playoffs four times in the last 8 seasons. Nothing but a dome throwing stat whore.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 08:33 PM
They play in a garbage division. Not hard to do.

But since they lost their camera's? No rings.

Brees? He's missed the playoffs four times in the last 8 seasons. Nothing but a dome throwing stat whore.

Cleveland and Cincinnati say hello

Anyways it's a dumb argument made by homers only

Black@Gold Forever32
01-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Cleveland and Cincinnati say hello

Anyways it's a dumb argument made by homers only

The Browns are a huge turd but the Bengals have made the play-offs three times in the past four seasons......The AFC North has been one of the better divisions in the NFL since 2009..........

Crash
01-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Cincy's been in the playoffs four times since Ben showed up.

Drew Brees despite playing in a dome all year also led the NFL in picks in 2012.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Cincy's been in the playoffs four times since Ben showed up.

Drew Brees despite playing in a dome all year also led the NFL in picks in 2012.

i find it very interesting that you have every excuse in the world for Ben's failures all the way up to an ownership conspiarcy theory... but when you are down playing the careers of other "elite" QBs, you fail to mention anything about the flaws surrounding their organizations.

You will mention 4th quarter defensive failures of the Steelers... but not that Brady gave his team late 4th quarter leads in TWO super bowls that their defense blew

you aren't consistent in anything, and that's a hallmark trait of a homer

this is what happens when you have a poorly informed opinion. you are forced to create excuses so that the "storyline" you've created doesn't crumble under the weight of facts

Crash
01-31-2013, 08:52 PM
You will mention 4th quarter defensive failures of the Steelers... but not that Brady gave his team late 4th quarter leads in TWO super bowls that their defense blew

How many points did Brady's offense score in those games? Ben's offense scores 31 points in Oakland and idiots still blame him.

Look at Brady's post season career before they got caught.

Then look at it AFTER.

Two totally different players.

Until he wins a ring, and plays like he did in the post season prior to Spygate? His career is a farce.

He's played in 5 Super Bowls, and his offense has scored less than 20 points in three of them.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 09:01 PM
How many points did Brady's offense score in those games? Ben's offense scores 31 points in Oakland and idiots still blame him.

it case anyone was wondering, this is what shifting the storyline looks like

and really, what has he done? i dont know... lets see
won 2 AFC Championships
Won 2 NFL MVP awards
Broke the NFL Single Season TD Record
Led the first undefeated regular season in 4 decades
and Lost 2 super bowls that his team led in the 4th quarter (1 on the flukiest play ever)

clowns

Crash
01-31-2013, 09:06 PM
And no Super Bowl rings since Spygate, and robust 14 and 17 points on offense in two Super Bowls.

No cares about 18-1 except Pats fans. It's like it never even happened.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Crash doesn't think Tom Brady is an elite QB.... :facepalm:

Crash
01-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Until he wins a ring without cheating, his career is a farce.

Can't ignore the drastic change in his post season performance since they got caught.

Sorry.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-31-2013, 10:41 PM
Until he wins a ring without cheating, his career is a farce.

Can't ignore the drastic change in his post season performance since they got caught.

Sorry.

you don't have to be sorry for being retarded.

Crash
01-31-2013, 11:35 PM
you don't have to be sorry for being retarded.

Wow that was witty.

Sounds like you speak from experience.

tburg68
02-01-2013, 01:44 AM
I think I wandered into my daughters preschool class.