PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward blames young WRs

SnakeEyes43
01-28-2013, 11:41 AM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/hines_ward_blames_steelers_receivers_for_missing_p layoffs/12772771

Hines Ward blames Steelers young receivers for missing playoffs

Pittsburgh Steelers former wide receiver Hines Ward wanted to play another season and could see the Steelers young receivers needed a leader, but the team felt he could no longer perform at a high level.

Ward says the receivers youth is a big reason the Steelers went 8-8 and missed the playoffs in 2012.

"They have a bunch of young, talented guys," Ward said in a recent interview with Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette. "The organization chose to go young and in a different direction. My argument was, 'Great, but I don't think any of those guys other than Mike Wallace were in crucial situations to ask them to carry the load.

"They were asked to be put into a huge role at such a young age. I had to deal with it. I was a veteran guy my second year. It's a learning curve for those guys. The transition going to next year, maybe they'll learn from their mistakes.

"I love everything about those guys. I wish them nothing but the best with those guys. ... Hopefully, the light bulb will turn on for those guys and they'll understand what the profession is on and off field.

"With A.B., Mike and Emmanuel, sometimes it takes more than work ethic. You have to put in the time both at work and home to take care of your body and your playbook."

Ward believes the defense is still good but will have to find some young stars.

"They're a team in transition, losing some of the older guys. The marquee names are getting older, and it's time for younger guys to step up.

"On defense, they're still playing good football. They'll always finish in the top five. In the secondary, Keenan Lewis had a big year, Ike Taylor is getting older, and there's a transition. You have to find some young stars to step up their play and allow them to be consistent."

TampaSteelGirl
01-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Well he's not wrong...Wallace's head too big for his shoulders and not showing up for camp totally put him on my bad side.
No excuses for the extremeness of dropping passes that should have been easily caught...

UKSTEELER
01-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Out of the 3 of them i was most disappointed in Sanders . . .

he looked cocky, stupid and off it, him more than anyone seemed more sidetracked by the whole Wallace situation...

I had high hopes, but i think he he thinks he's better than he thinks he is!!

and he wimped our pretending he hurt his shoulder, a few plays later he was back in . .

lame!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Out of the 3 of them i was most disappointed in Sanders . . .

he looked cocky, stupid and off it, him more than anyone seemed more sidetracked by the whole Wallace situation...

I had high hopes, but i think he he thinks he's better than he thinks he is!!

and he wimped our pretending he hurt his shoulder, a few plays later he was back in . .

lame!

I keep waiting for Sanders to take that next step but he never does......In my opinion Wallace, Brown, and Sanders all lack mental toughness and it showed on the field this year........

LatrobePA
01-28-2013, 02:14 PM
I blame Tomlin for not having these idiots ready to compete!

steelcity73
01-28-2013, 04:11 PM
I keep waiting for Sanders to take that next step but he never does......In my opinion Wallace, Brown, and Sanders all lack mental toughness and it showed on the field this year........

Desire,mental toughness, attitude, willpower, drive, fortitude, ambition just some that came to mind about the team in general not just the WRs. Sanders is gonna be a good receiver, out of the three he would've benefited most from another yr with Hines, wallace already had himself ahead of the team in OTAs so let him go whine elsewhere, AB just needs some football smarts and he would be a good one as well.

LatrobePA
01-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Steelers have no wide outs that play with grit like Hines did! Dropping the ball is easier then taking a hit! This team got soft over the last few years!

jdehoff83
01-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Still think they couldve held onto ward for another year or two. They dont have a leader and thats what you get. The top 3 all have their separate issues, guess well see what happens in the future. Still cant believe sanders got blown up two times in the middle and lost the ball like dejavu.. but atleast hell go up the middle and try to make the catch unlike others.. hmmm wonder who that is

steelcity73
01-28-2013, 07:55 PM
"Still think they couldve held onto ward for another year or two. They dont have a leader and thats what you get. "....Agree 110%! Well at least for Hines he still has that competitive fire hell he's going for the triple crown. Lombardi, Mirror Ball and I guess a golden spatula when he wins the celebrity cooking show, the guy is freaking awesome. Pretty sure the only thing he's gonna get in the Ironman is a pat on the back and thanks for coming:lol:

LevonKirkland99
01-28-2013, 08:11 PM
None of those loosers have the heart and desire of Hines Ward. Its going to be interesting to see how these so called receivers bounce back...

No worries thou, we will be a n 8-8 team -next year

polamalu43
01-29-2013, 12:39 AM
I am really tired of the show boating after a catch and first down. AB and ES both do the same thing after every catch. It is almost embarrassing. Not something Hines would have done!

LatrobePA
01-29-2013, 08:46 AM
I am really tired of the show boating after a catch and first down. AB and ES both do the same thing after every catch. It is almost embarrassing. Not something Hines would have done!

These two clowns are far from the best in the league and the best don't do it!

Real Deal Steel
01-29-2013, 11:24 AM
I blame Tomlin for not having these idiots ready to compete!

Again...it all comes back to Tomlin. Tomlin isn't a leader and not a true disciplinarian. Which is what is needed.

LatrobePA
01-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Again...it all comes back to Tomlin. Tomlin isn't a leader and not a true disciplinarian. Which is what is needed.

I agree, I don't hate him but I don't like his coaching style at all... Look what's happening, all the vets and dropping off / retiring and the team isn't doing well, top that with him losing high round pick type players, he's in trouble if you ask me!

It's time they find a way to tap into the FA market this year or it could be a long season!

Real Deal Steel
01-29-2013, 11:43 AM
I don't hate Tomlin either. He just isn't a real coach. He's proven that the last three seasons now when he hasn't been able to live off of Cowher's fumes.

NYCsteelersfan
01-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Hines Ward is just saying what was obvious. And he's being very nice about how he says it. The bottom line is that none of these receivers are #1 receivers. Wallace is a good #2 receiver at best. This was the worst receiving corps I've seen since Troy Edwards was the Steelers' #1 receiver.

No worries thou, we will be a n 8-8 team -next year

Without any upgrades at receiver and no drastic improvements in the offensive line, you're probably right.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Hines Ward is just saying what was obvious. And he's being very nice about how he says it. The bottom line is that none of these receivers are #1 receivers. Wallace is a good #2 receiver at best. This was the worst receiving corps I've seen since Troy Edwards was the Steelers' #1 receiver.

Without any upgrades at receiver and no drastic improvements in the offensive line, you're probably right.

I still get upset everytime I see the name Troy Edwards....I was so mad when they drafted him in the first round in 1999.....I agree about the WR's big time and the Steelers will be forced again to draft a WR early in the draft......Unless they pull a shocker and sign DeWayne Bowe in free agency.....

NYCsteelersfan
01-29-2013, 02:05 PM
I still get upset everytime I see the name Troy Edwards....I was so mad when they drafted him in the first round in 1999.....I agree about the WR's big time and the Steelers will be forced again to draft a WR early in the draft......Unless they pull a shocker and sign DeWayne Bowe in free agency.....

lol What was wrong? You weren't happy about having a 5'9 WR drafted in the first round to be the team's #1 receiver?

I'm worried that they will not take a WR in the first round or sign one through free agency. And Wallace will be gone, which isn't bad, unless they don't sign or draft someone really good to replace him. The #1 receiver for the 2013 season will end up being Brown, Sanders #2, and some second or third round pick will be the #3. It's going to be a disaster.

Goodfrom55
01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Well he's not wrong...Wallace's head too big for his shoulders and not showing up for camp totally put him on my bad side.
No excuses for the extremeness of dropping passes that should have been easily caught...

And putting the ball on the ground by Brown and Sanders. Go figure, the only 2 players that were consistent were Miller and Cotch. That said, I am not sellng on either Brown or Sanders.

Real Deal Steel
01-29-2013, 02:32 PM
I think both Brown and Sanders have the talent to take their play to the next level. Do we have the right guy to pull it out of them???

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2013, 02:36 PM
I think both Brown and Sanders have the talent to take their play to the next level. Do we have the right guy to pull it out of them???

I'm not worried about Brown and Brown showed he can score TD's late in the season....That was my knock on him not finding the endzone enough......I think Brown will bounce back strong but he still isn't a number 1 WR........As for Sanders and I'm still waiting for him to take the next step but he never does......He needs to toughen up alittle bit.........

Crash
01-29-2013, 03:11 PM

Hines not showboat? LOL

polamalu43
02-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Not like these guys. Brown was not like this before his deal. Everytime he does anything he shows off like he has never done it. That is not what a top flight WR does in this league. Look at the Top Guys.

LatrobePA
02-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Not like these guys. Brown was not like this before his deal. Everytime he does anything he shows off like he has never done it. That is not what a top flight WR does in this league. Look at the Top Guys.

Too much BS after a catch I agree! Hey AB it's your job to catch the ball quit your showboating!

jpele
02-02-2013, 10:49 AM
These receivers are young and immature,I said it would be a mistake to cut Ward last year but was told " leadership was overrated" well Hines is gone and we have some talented young guns with attitudes and no direction.

Yes I do agree a lot of this falls on Tomlin,I really miss the way Coach Noll ran his ship.

DBR96A
02-04-2013, 04:46 AM
The WRs are all smurfs, including Mike Wallace. That's the problem. The Steelers need a big, tall WR who's strong enough to beat press coverage and not afraid to fight for the ball. They don't have that right now.

At least Hines Ward isn't blaming Ben Roethlisberger like the know-nothings do.

NYCsteelersfan
02-04-2013, 02:01 PM
These receivers are young and immature,I said it would be a mistake to cut Ward last year but was told " leadership was overrated" well Hines is gone and we have some talented young guns with attitudes and no direction.

Yes I do agree a lot of this falls on Tomlin,I really miss the way Coach Noll ran his ship.

Accurate.

The WRs are all smurfs, including Mike Wallace. That's the problem. The Steelers need a big, tall WR who's strong enough to beat press coverage and not afraid to fight for the ball. They don't have that right now.

At least Hines Ward isn't blaming Ben Roethlisberger like the know-nothings do.

Even more accurate.

SnakeEyes43
02-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Yes, we need a big, physical WR. I don't recall ever looking more forward to an off-season than I am right now. Can't wait to see who we draft/cut/sign FA.

LatrobePA
02-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Yes, we need a big, physical WR. I don't recall ever looking more forward to an off-season than I am right now. Can't wait to see who we draft/cut/sign FA.

I'm right with you...

DBR96A
02-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Well, I looked forward to and enjoyed last off-season, and look what that got me! :lol:

But seriously, this is the second off-season in a protracted changing of the guard. I don't expect the Steelers to be serious Super Bowl contenders again for at least another season.