PDA

View Full Version : Jets making Darrelle Revis available.

TheTittsburghFeelers
01-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Is there any scenario we could make a run at him/would we even consider it. I know cap room is basically non-existent. The Jets are looking for compensation, what about Mike Wallace and Ike Taylor? They are looking for offensive weapons. Revis being from Pitt could really push a deal to us if he heard we are interested. He is 27 and coming off major surgery but he is the best corner I have seen the past ten years when healthy. Just throwing the line out to see what the big fish think...

NeilPatrickBanana
01-24-2013, 10:33 AM
ACL injury for a corner? No thanks.

He's only got 1 year left, and in trade he'd "only" count 6 million against the cap.... still, ACL injuries for corners are like a death blow.

Nolrog
01-24-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't trade an unsigned unrestricted free agent and get much back for him.

I don't see any scenario where a trade to the Steelers happens.

ChucktownSteeler
01-24-2013, 10:52 AM
I don't see it happening. We are up against the cap now with many of our own FA to get signed.

cmerrifield
01-24-2013, 11:00 AM
We don't need him. Ike and Lewis and C. Allen are fine. We need to lock up Lewis and Allen instead of trading for Revis.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

JShare86
01-24-2013, 11:35 AM
We don't need him. Ike and Lewis and C. Allen are fine. We need to lock up Lewis and Allen instead of trading for Revis.

We don't need him? He's arguably the best shut down corner to ever play the game. I know what you are saying our corners are solid but saying we don't need revis is like saying we don't need Megatron just because we have AB and Sanders. Anytime the best player at his position is available you always need that guy.

LatrobePA
01-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Unless he's a washed up nobody we won't sign him!

NeilPatrickBanana
01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
We don't need him? He's arguably the best shut down corner to ever play the game. I know what you are saying our corners are solid but saying we don't need revis is like saying we don't need Megatron just because we have AB and Sanders. Anytime the best player at his position is available you always need that guy.

correction : Revis WAS the best cover corner (maybe ever). Now he's a player who relies so heavily on planting his legs, changing direction, range of motion... that an ACL injury is career threatening.

an ACL tear ended Rod Woodson's career as a corner. He physically could not do it any longer, he had to move to Free Safety.

Dominique Foxworth was a quality cover corner... an ACL tear ended his ability to cover anyone and he was forced to retire early

Revis was the best cover corner I've ever seen with my own eyes. But he's going to have to re-prove his ability from scratch. And based on the history of his injury, at his position... I wouldn't trade anything of value for him.

cmerrifield
01-24-2013, 12:30 PM

In salary cap football, we don't need him. His cost outweighs his benefit. To get him, we would lose ike, lewis, Harrison and probably someone else to make room. We don't need him.

BstripeYpaint
01-24-2013, 01:09 PM
This move would be too risky. With Ike, Cortez, Keenan, Curtis Brown & Josh Victorian, it seems as though we possess sufficient depth & talent at the corner position. I'm still worrying about our O-line, despite the advances we've made there.

LatrobePA
01-24-2013, 01:30 PM
We don't need him unless he's a pass rusher!

JShare86
01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
We don't need him unless he's a pass rusher!

Right now this team needs a whole lot.

LatrobePA
01-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Right now this team needs a whole lot.

Agreed!

scudmissile29
01-24-2013, 01:37 PM
richard sherman is the best corner in the league now

USMC607
01-24-2013, 01:51 PM

This...

USMC607
01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
I also agree with past post's that his type of injury for his specific position and style of play is verryyyy hard to come back from and many very good CB's have not been able to recover and had to either retire or move to safety.

That with the fact the jets would probably want fort nox + for him means that the steelers wont even be give a single consideration for him. Ike Taylor at his age and mike wallace (IF he was signed) would not be sufficient enough for him.

You'd be looking at Wallace (If we did sign him), Lewis (if we sign him) or Allen, and draft picks to be in the running for him.

Which in that case there is 0 percent chance. We'd be taking steps back (especially giving up picks that we desperately need to replenish youth and depth) to MAYBE upgrade a position that is at the moment one of more solid positions (especially if we resign lewis)

JShare86
01-24-2013, 02:30 PM
This...

Before or after he let Roddy White get behind him? Listen Sherman is a great corner but not anywhere near Revis. Not sure anyone in history is a better lock down corner than Revis. The only reason the Jets are trying to deal him is because they can get something for him this year. Next year he is gone. It's the same reason we traded Santonio for a 6th when he was worth so much more because we knew we wouldn't resign him the following year you might as well take what you can get for the guy. I understand we traded him after the whole marajuana thing but that's not the whole reason. The same with the Jets they are trying to get something for him because they know damn well that he won't resign with them next season. I'm sure him tearing an ACL has something to do with it but its not the whole reason.

USMC607
01-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Before or after he let Roddy White get behind him?

**** happens, even the best CB's can get beaten on any given day.

Revis has been beaten on occasions (Stevie Johnson is one example).

steelchamp204
01-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Convert him to safety then? Just an Idea.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-24-2013, 03:14 PM

debatable... I think Sherman is really good, but also overhyped presently.
I'd take Joseph or Peterson

but still, no one is close to what Revis was BEFORE the ACL.

teeceemadison
01-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Before or after he let Roddy White get behind him? Listen Sherman is a great corner but not anywhere near Revis. Not sure anyone in history is a better lock down corner than Revis. The only reason the Jets are trying to deal him is because they can get something for him this year. Next year he is gone. It's the same reason we traded Santonio for a 6th when he was worth so much more because we knew we wouldn't resign him the following year you might as well take what you can get for the guy. I understand we traded him after the whole marajuana thing but that's not the whole reason. The same with the Jets they are trying to get something for him because they know damn well that he won't resign with them next season. I'm sure him tearing an ACL has something to do with it but its not the whole reason.

hell, i would take mel blount over any corner out there today.....just sayin, this revis worship is rediculous....

K Train
01-24-2013, 04:37 PM
revis is the most dominant corner since bailey was in his prime, whats ridiculous is that people dont see that still. hes way to expensive for the steelers, hes so dominant but rex ryan fed his ego from year one, hes damn near unsignable at this point

LatrobePA
01-24-2013, 04:52 PM
He'll go with in their division...

NeilPatrickBanana
01-24-2013, 05:42 PM
revis is the most dominant corner since bailey was in his prime, whats ridiculous is that people dont see that still. hes way to expensive for the steelers, hes so dominant but rex ryan fed his ego from year one, hes damn near unsignable at this point

I have no problem with the statement, "Darrel Revis was the best cover corner ever"... with the caveat "before he tore his ACL". I have no idea what he'll be going forward.

But calling him the best ever... isn't ridiculous. It's just the truth.

Goodfrom55
01-24-2013, 05:50 PM
My 2 cents and perhaps a little conservative. . .Revis is coming back from ACL surgery. While he was the dominant CB in football prior to his injury, there are a lot of questions as to how he will perform, especially as a CB coming off an ACL. Not to mention, he is a front office headache.

This might sound crazy, but if I'm the Jets and I know I can't resign him after 2012, and I understand no one will give up a 1st round pick on a guy coming off an ACL. So if I can get a 2nd AND a 3rd round pick in this years draft, giving me 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds, I jump on it.

jdehoff83
01-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Why are we debating this, we have victorian! Were good. ; )

scudmissile29
01-25-2013, 08:22 AM

revis was very good, I still before Champ though in their primes.

Remember when he picked brady in the playoffs? TROLOLOLOLOL

SnakeEyes43
01-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Convert him to safety then? Just an Idea.

He'd last one quarter playing safety for us.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Revis and Bailey were awesome....But Deion "Prime Time" Sanders.....Now Deion didn't want no part in being a physical corner but if we're just talking shutting down WR's then Prime Time was the best that I ever seen..........

LatrobePA
01-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Why are we debating this, we have victorian! Were good. ; )

"championship"

jdehoff83
01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
"championship"
Exactly what i was thinking. I like where your mind is. Anyway we all know that one of the first steps to being successful in the nfl is having long locks. Seeing he has step one down. Just a matter of time and well be saying revis who?

Nolrog
01-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Reports here in New Jersey (if you recall, I work like 5 miles from the Jets complex) say that Revis is looking for a Mario Williams type deal.

FYI: His current deal runs through like 2016, but he has an opt out this year that is voided if he holds out (or maybe the contract itself voids if he doesn't hold out. Basically an anti-holdout clause.) It also says the Jets cannot franchise him. I'm sure that a team trading for him will want to extend that deal before giving up a boat load and Revis has never been shy about wanting his money (he's held out twice already, including once as a rookie I think.)