PDA

View Full Version : Lattimore rehab progress going very well.

steelchamp204
01-23-2013, 03:50 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/conversations/_/id/8871335/2013-nfl-draft-marcus-lattimore-south-carolina-gamecocks-running-back-hopes-ready-2013-season

Marcus Lattimore, the South Carolina running back who suffered a devastating knee injury less than three months ago, hopes to be ready to play by the start of the 2013 NFL season.

Lattimore claimed that Dr. James Andrews told him that his recovery progress is "nothing short of a miracle" and that the renowned surgeon thinks his rehabilitation is "way ahead of schedule."

Lattimore, who was visiting Senior Bowl practice on Tuesday, said his personal outlook for the 2013 season became more optimistic after meeting with Andrews several weeks ago.

"When Dr. Andrews came in to see me, he said, 'You're doing remarkable; you're doing everything you can,' " Lattimore told multiple media outlets. "His words were, 'You're going to shock the world.' That's what Dr. Andrews said."

Once considered a likely first-round pick, Lattimore saw his draft stock plummet on Oct. 27, when he dislocated his right knee and tore several ligaments while being tackled against Tennessee.

It was the second major knee injury for Lattimore, who also missed half of the 2011 season after tearing the ACL in his left knee.

But Lattimore said Tuesday he never considered quitting football and stated that he doesn't feel sorry for himself.

"I feel like 80 percent of it is mental," he told multiple media outlets. "If you don't do your rehab, if you keep asking yourself, 'Why me?' your knee reacts to that. You have to stay positive, or you're not going to come back."

Despite the multiple injuries, Lattimore opted last month to forgo his senior year at South Carolina and enter the 2013 draft. He said Tuesday that he already has met with several NFL teams but acknowledged that he doesn't know where -- or if -- he will be drafted.

"It could be first (round), it could be undrafted," he said.

Like I said, I'll stick by it. This kid will be special in the nfl or a injury prone woulda coulda shoulda been. I still think he does some great things for some length of time. I'd be stoked if Pittsburgh signed him. I'd be happy with Graham also.

coldrolled
01-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Hopefully Spence went to andrews... lets sign lacy or ball.

ChucktownSteeler
01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Hard not to pull for Marcus. A great kid!

Big T
01-23-2013, 01:35 PM
I'd take a chance on him in the 4th if he's still there. He would've been a sure fire 1st rounder had he not been injured. Even if he has to sit a full year (doesn't sound like that will even be the case), it would be like having two first rounders next year. If he isn't rushed back, he'll be a stud.

steelchamp204
01-23-2013, 02:19 PM
I'd take a chance on him in the 4th if he's still there. He would've been a sure fire 1st rounder had he not been injured. Even if he has to sit a full year (doesn't sound like that will even be the case), it would be like having two first rounders next year. If he isn't rushed back, he'll be a stud.

Yea man, I have a man crush on this guy like you do Te'o. I wo9uldnt be pissed even if we spent a 3rd on him. But no way in hell a 2nd. I think he goes in the 3rd to some team, if he doesnt I wouldnt be suprised either.

Zachintosh66
01-23-2013, 03:01 PM
If Lattimore doesnt get hurt hes a top 15 pick... Would look good in B+G... coming off the PUP list about week 6 next year.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-23-2013, 03:04 PM
I think Lattimore could have even been top five....

JensK
01-23-2013, 03:08 PM
If the doctors agree at the combine, he might not last into the fourth round. Teams like Patriots, who dont have glaring inmediate needs will most likely take a chance on him in the third. We'll see though.

Big T
01-23-2013, 03:45 PM
If the doctors agree at the combine, he might not last into the fourth round. Teams like Patriots, who dont have glaring inmediate needs will most likely take a chance on him in the third. We'll see though.

The pats spent a 2nd and 3rd round pick on Vareen and Ridley respectively in the 2011 draft and both have shown the ability to be good running backs. Pats won't go RB. But like others said, I'd wouldn't have a problem with him in the 3rd either. The potential reward is astronomical. If he's given the proper time to heal completely, dude will be a big time RB in this league.

JensK
01-23-2013, 03:50 PM
The Patriots was merely an example though. My point is that some team will take a chance on him earlier than expected, if he in fact is healing faster than anticipated.

Big T
01-23-2013, 04:04 PM
The Patriots was merely an example though. My point is that some team will take a chance on him earlier than expected, if he in fact is healing faster than anticipated.

No doubt. There's definitely a chance he's the middle of the third though, and I don't think there will be any other player on the board with a higher potential to be a star. He definitely has that potential and it's all hinged on whether or not he can heal correctly.

K Train
01-23-2013, 04:28 PM
lol cant say his agent isnt doing a great job right when he needs to...mcgahees did an amazing thing getting him drafted in the first

VTSteelerfan
01-23-2013, 05:00 PM
I would take him in the 3rd.. Who knows he could be another A.P.( ALL Day)

Nolrog
01-23-2013, 08:26 PM
If his knee injury was that severe, I doubt he'll be ready for the beginning of the season. I think K-Train suggested he should be on the DL for the entire year, working on rehab. I think that's a far more likely scenario. Ahead or not, there's a difference between rehab going well and ready to play football.

Could be worth a flier (why is it called taking a flier??) on him later in the draft though.

K Train
01-23-2013, 08:36 PM
id take him in the second if hes expected to make a full recovery, it would be like trading a second round pick for a next years first....which i would be down for too (like the panthers trading the following year first to draft everetter brown in the second, or the broncos trading a next year first for a second to draft alphonso smith. I PROMISE all of you the team will be relying on the 2011 and 2012 draft classes much more than they will the 2013 one

Nolrog
01-24-2013, 07:54 AM
id take him in the second if hes expected to make a full recovery, it would be like trading a second round pick for a next years first.

There's no way that I'd draft him with a 2nd round pick. That's a huge risk for a guy you think would spend the entire year on the DL. We need significant, immediate help with huge holes on the team if we're going compete for the next few years.

At #2, it's too huge a risk. At number #5 or #6, the risk mitigated.

K Train
01-24-2013, 12:25 PM
cause all of our second round picks are SO impactful...like i said we need worilds, gilbert, and adams to step up this year way more than we will need any pick from this year

Black@Gold Forever32
01-24-2013, 01:18 PM
cause all of our second round picks are SO impactful...like i said we need worilds, gilbert, and adams to step up this year way more than we will need any pick from this year

I agree with you but it would be nice for the Steelers to get an impact out of their 2nd rounders......But with the recent reports of Lattimore I wouldn't mind at all now if the Steelers took him in the 2nd.....

USMC607
01-24-2013, 02:16 PM
I would not flinch if he we took him in the 2nd. I know he had a serious injury but if all the reports coming out are true and he is recovering this well, then why not. The kid was as close to a surefire stud as possible, and if McGahee can come back from a similar injury and do as well as he did. So Can lattimore

steelchamp204
01-24-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm on aord with him in the 2nd round also. We're going to need a running back and I still say Dwyer is not a starting running back unless he comes into camp about 15 pounds lighter. You know, this whole "defensive" draft thing isnt looking so sexy anymore.

We are going to be younger on the dline this year, all we need is some depth,the lber will be fine, yes even if Harrison returned because we all know he would be at 100%, Ike and Keenan will be a threat for the secondary and the safety position is still silitified. If we can't get our passrusher in the 1st round I expect.

1. TE
2. RB
3. Safety
4. Dline
5. Lb
6. Wr

or

1. TE
2. Safety
3. RB
4. Lb
5. Dline
6. WR

Nolrog
01-24-2013, 06:13 PM

I totally agree. Colbert gets so much praise for his drafting, but his 2nd round picks, and to some extent his first (Hood, Heyward) don't live up to the billing.

coldrolled
01-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Maybe we need a Dline coach.... Train said heyward was an animal... mclendon looks good... but all the new guys are not playing like Andre Smith.. who was the dline coach when Andre and hampton were young....

We have all the young talent on the OL and DL but were not looking that powerful

Big T
01-24-2013, 09:41 PM
I totally agree. Colbert gets so much praise for his drafting, but his 2nd round picks, and to some extent his first (Hood, Heyward) don't live up to the billing.

There was no chance for Hood. Horrible pick then, just as horrible now. Heyward on the other hand has been leaps and bounds better than Hood (when he actually f*cking plays), and is more suited for LDE than RDE. This is one of those instances where Tomlin and LeBeau need to get their heads out of thir asses and start Heyward.

K Train
02-19-2013, 02:43 PM
lattimore going to start running, and his agent says the recovery will shock the world.

still the best back in the draft...his agent is doing work on his draft status though

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21732247/nfl-combine-2013-marcus-lattimore-says-doctors-will-be-shocked

Black@Gold Forever32
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Do you think Lattimore could sneak into the late first?........I'm happy for the kid since those injuries were terrible and really cost him from being drafted within the top five of this draft...........

NeilPatrickBanana
02-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Maybe we need a Dline coach.... Train said heyward was an animal... mclendon looks good... but all the new guys are not playing like Andre Smith.. who was the dline coach when Andre and hampton were young....

We have all the young talent on the OL and DL but were not looking that powerful

Andre Smith?
Really?

NeilPatrickBanana
02-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Do you think Lattimore could sneak into the late first?........I'm happy for the kid since those injuries were terrible and really cost him from being drafted within the top five of this draft...........

quick answer
yes

Real Deal Steel
02-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Still too early to say even IF we should take Latimore. We need to see him at the combine.

Nolrog
02-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Lattimore claimed that Dr. James Andrews told him that his recovery progress is "nothing short of a miracle" and that the renowned surgeon thinks his rehabilitation is "way ahead of schedule."

I take everything this time of year with a grain of salt. My skepticism is tingling; thinking he's trying to boost his draft status (yes, I'm very cynical.)

"His words were, 'You're going to shock the world.' That's what Dr. Andrews said."

This is the stupidest saying in the world. Do you think the people in North Korea are sitting there, we're starving, I haven't eaten in 3 days, friends are being raped, beaten and killed, holy crap, Lattimore is ahead of his reahab. That's great.

K Train
02-19-2013, 06:15 PM
I take everything this time of year with a grain of salt. My skepticism is tingling; thinking he's trying to boost his draft status (yes, I'm very cynical.)

This is the stupidest saying in the world. Do you think the people in North Korea are sitting there, we're starving, I haven't eaten in 3 days, friends are being raped, beaten and killed, holy crap, Lattimore is ahead of his reahab. That's great.

yes..saying "you are going to shock your fans and talent evaluators and only the people who either watch college or pro football that were aware of your horrific injury during your time at the university of south carolina" would have been much more politically correct :rolleyes"

Nolrog
02-19-2013, 06:16 PM

No. He's coming back from his 2nd major knee injury. This one occurring in late October. Even though he's "ahead of schedule" some people are suggesting he may miss the entire season to get himself back to full health.

Quite frankly, too much risk to spend a #1 on.

Nolrog
02-19-2013, 06:17 PM
yes..saying "you are going to shock your fans and talent evaluators and only the people who either watch college or pro football that were aware of your horrific injury during your time at the university of south carolina" would have been much more politically correct :rolleyes"

Well, they could have said you're going to shock people. That's broad enough. Instead of stupidly saying you'll shock the world. I can guarantee you that the people in China, Iran, North Korea and Pakistan couldn't give a **** about where he is in his rehab.

Mike Tomlin
02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
At running back i'll be happy with Kniles Davis( A.P. 2.0) or Zac Stacy.

ChucktownSteeler
02-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Maybe if recovery is a miracle we trade back and get an extra pick and grab Marcus the end of round 1.

steelchamp204
02-20-2013, 03:28 AM
Maybe if recovery is a miracle we trade back and get an extra pick and grab Marcus the end of round 1.

No, I wouldnt spend that early on him with a extra pick. I would rather go Lacy instead. I wouldnt go any earlier thn the 3rd round on him. I still think he will be there imho.

JensK
02-20-2013, 05:56 AM
I don't see any way that he'll sniff the first round. 2 major knee injuries is simply too much to ignore. Ideally, he'll go somewhere between e and 7, but I think some team might give him a chance late in the second round.

Nolrog
02-20-2013, 07:31 AM

There are far greater needs on this team than a running back coming off a major injury. In fact, I think it's more likely they trade up for a big pass rusher than they trade back.

connecticutsteel
02-20-2013, 07:42 AM
no way you spend a 3rd round pick on a guy who sits for ayear because of injury that whould be paying him to sit for half of his rookie contract