PDA

View Full Version : Watching Yesterdays Games - This Is Really Evident

Speeed
01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
I know this topic comes up occasionally but after yesterday's games, especially the Ravens/Patriots game, I think it is important to emphasize a few things. There are three elements that are absolutely key to success:

The first is turnovers. I think the Ravens won that game on the two turnovers. As well as the offense did, I think the D won that game.

The second is the pass rush. Pressure, pressure, pressure. A sack at a key moment can entirely change the game.

Last, trusting the receivers. Use timing routes and don't be afraid to throw over the middle and into traffic. To win games, the QB has to force the ball and be aggressive.

It is obvious for the last two years the only thing going on in those areas of the Steelers game is chirping crickets. They have been the most mediocre, safe, and soft offense in the league. Our receivers, whoever they will be, will absolutely need to fight for the ball and make physical plays. If we get any more 5 11" - 6" 190 pound wide receivers I am going to scream. They need to go find a larger, physical WR and make use of him. Miller is the only guy on that team who goes to the ball.

Kaepernick (sp) and the 49's are going to the SB because they were aggressive. Very aggressive. Comparing the 49's offense to the Steelers offense is like comparing mixed marital arts to Wednesdaynite bingo at the retirement home. Maybe an exaggeration, but I think I made my point.

If the Steelers went into the playoffs I think they would have gotten destroyed. I am hoping for a more aggressive team on both sides of the ball next year. Safe, cushy play calling will not get a team through, or even into the playoffs. This team absolutely needs to re-evaluate the three areas I addressed. I am sure they are aware of these things, and I don't think they can achieve this with many of the personnel they currently have. If they don't make major changes it will be another 8-8 yawn fest.

Granite State Steel
01-21-2013, 02:19 PM
All that and a few glaring intangibles as well. This was just a very uncharacteristic Steelers team, from the identity of teams that makes this franchise so special and that we're used to seeing on and of the field.

The 2012 team had no cohesiveness or sense of purpose (identity) all year. Very uncharacteristic for Steelers teams.

Too many egos and players with sense of entitlement. Again, NOT Steeler ball. Where'd that come from?!

Soft leadership from the top down

The common thread of the last 4 teams this weekend was a shared sense of mission, goals, and even destiny. After everything falls into place these attributes are needed just as well.

LatrobePA
01-21-2013, 02:40 PM
All that and a few glaring intangibles as well. This was just a very uncharacteristic Steelers team, from the identity of teams that makes this franchise so special and that we're used to seeing on and of the field.

The 2012 team had no cohesiveness or sense of purpose (identity) all year. Very uncharacteristic for Steelers teams.

Too many egos and players with sense of entitlement. Again, NOT Steeler ball. Where'd that come from?!

Soft leadership from the top down

The common thread of the last 4 teams this weekend was a shared sense of mission, goals, and even destiny. After everything falls into place these attributes are needed just as well.

Well said!

Crash
01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Leadership my ***.

Our identity sucks because we won't embrace the current NFL.

Offense? You need to be vertical. Take advantage of the rules that now phase out hitting and defense in the secondary.

Defense? Press coverage at the LOS, pass rushing with pressure, and take your chances.

The days of trying to steal wins 17-14 are over.

It's time to adapt, or die.

coldrolled
01-21-2013, 03:21 PM
rules that now phase out hitting and defense in the secondary. .

Im all for the offense.. But let me see. Ridley out, Welker dizzy, a few other head spinners.... The ravens pounded the ball carrier. They forced them to surrender. We dont do that anymore Clark does....

Then Press coverage, the ravens created more film on how to beat marsha....

We need an new ILB, OLB We need a new OG and a smokin RB..

The rest of our team can be realigned to to win again.

Ben needs to try and stay clean himself. Too many self inflicted sacks and hits.

Speeed
01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Very good points. Roll our eyes as much as we want, Ray retiring might have been the spark they needed. Intangible, yes - but a motivating factor? Yes. Flacco was playing for a contract. That helps too. The Steelers in their current state played all year not to lose games even before they started. Got a three point lead? Wow! Great job. Now go run some pedestrian plays and try to preserve that 3 point lead. Even after a being on the receiving end of a turnover on the other team's side of the field it was a run up the middle yawn fest. The Niners would throw to the endzone on the next play. The Steelers, well, let's cross our fingers - I think they can win 17-14!

I think I am going to send the coaching some hammers for two reasons: The first, to hammer the nails into an opposing team once they have lead - whether it be in the first or second half. The second to beat some motivation into the 75% of the team that totally underachieved. At least show the movie Rudy!

• The 2012 team had no cohesiveness or sense of purpose (identity) all year. Very uncharacteristic for Steelers teams.

• Too many egos and players with sense of entitlement. Again, NOT Steeler ball. Where'd that come from?!

• Soft leadership from the top down

SuperSteelers
01-21-2013, 04:52 PM
OP...Steelers winning 8 games next season is a stretch. I have them finishing last in the division next season with 6 wins. This team is on a decline and it is going to take a couple three years to rebuild.
1. O-line is busted
2. Average RBs
3. Defense is old
4. No #1 WR on the depth charts

Black@Gold Forever32
01-21-2013, 05:44 PM
OP...Steelers winning 8 games next season is a stretch. I have them finishing last in the division next season with 6 wins. This team is on a decline and it is going to take a couple three years to rebuild.
1. O-line is busted
2. Average RBs
3. Defense is old
4. No #1 WR on the depth charts

1. The offensive line does have two former first round pick and two former 2nd round picks.....All four are still young players.....The Potential is there for the OL to be a dominating group.......Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Adams just have to stay healthy......

2. The RB's are very bad and I wouldn't mind the Steelers drafting a RB and bringing in a vet RB....Not a Superstar but the RB position must upgraded no doubt....

3. The defense overall is an aging group.......But there is some young bright spots like Cortez Allen, hopefully Heyward......The Steelers must draft a pass rusher or two in this draft.........At least Timmons had a great season and should have another great season....

4. I agree no number 1 on the roster......The Steelers again will have to spend a high round pick on a WR in the draft......I would love the Steelers to make a run at DeWayne Bowe in free agency but I'm not counting on it.....

LatrobePA
01-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Your # 4 would be sweet!

steelchamp204
01-21-2013, 06:38 PM
I think next season the Steelers wins 7 and Tomlin will be on the hot seat. We have a pretty tough schedule next year and Baltimore/Cincy are the real deals to. Then you have the Browns who can win one anytime. I really wish they will start Spence/Sly at ILB for ****s sakes.

-We're probably going to be missing Heath for half the season or more and our TE's arent really deep.
-Who knows How Woodley is going to come into camp
-If Harrison comes back which I think he does, will he be slower due to age?
-Worried about the Oline due to the fact we havent got a Oline coach yet.
-We dont have a true #1 receiver
-Ben will probably miss 3-4 games
-I really hope Pouncey plays a full 16 game season but it is highly unlikely.

I mean, I really get excited for preseason because that is the only time we get to see the young guys play.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-21-2013, 06:47 PM
How about Pouncey not only staying healthy but putting on an extra 15-20 pounds of muscle so he doesn't get pushed back in the pocket as much......Pouncey's play hasn't been all that great and really his brother was the better player this past season.....

steelchamp204
01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
How about Pouncey not only staying healthy but putting on an extra 15-20 pounds of muscle so he doesn't get pushed back in the pocket as much......Pouncey's play hasn't been all that great and really his brother was the better player this past season.....

I know I was critical of Pouncey this season also, as were you. Yea, Pouncey is good, he gets hurt by being rolled up on all the time so it's kind of hard for him to elude that. As for being pushed back into the pocket, hell yea he does. I really want Wood to come in about 10 pounds lighter and Pouncey to come in 15 pounds heavier. Thatd be great

Steeler4life
01-21-2013, 07:46 PM
I think next season the Steelers wins 7 and Tomlin will be on the hot seat.

I might get blasted for this but what the hell. Ever since the news broke that Cowher stated 100% he will coach again in the future, I have had an odd feeling that he might be waiting to see what happens with Steelers.

Perhaps he didn't want to leave after 2006 but did so because of his Kay's illness.

Only time will tell.

LatrobePA
01-21-2013, 07:53 PM
BC wants the pats job...

Crash
01-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Cowher will never coach the Steelers with Art II around.

greg1964
01-22-2013, 07:05 AM
the sky is falling....the sky is falling

SnakeEyes43
01-22-2013, 07:20 AM
BC is not returning, and Tomlin will not be on the hot seat next year, even if we have a losing record. Maybe the fans hot seat, but not the managements. Tomlin will be here for a while; I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he has to have four bad seasons minimum, not including this year, before he would be fired.

coldrolled
01-22-2013, 08:33 AM
One season coming up we will need a number 1 pick to replace Ben... What year will that be Snake?

Or do we trade Ben now and get the extra picks setup for next year?

Accumulating some top picks is needed badly right now if we cleanse the older high paid players..

This patch work activity could lead us down the 10 years of wasted time senario...

steelers75
01-22-2013, 12:43 PM
I might get blasted for this but what the hell. Ever since the news broke that Cowher stated 100% he will coach again in the future, I have had an odd feeling that he might be waiting to see what happens with Steelers.

Perhaps he didn't want to leave after 2006 but did so because of his Kay's illness.

Only time will tell.

Doubtful. There was no love lost between him and Art II. The tensions between the two really came to the fore when Dan passed control of the team to Art II in 2003.

He's also going to want $10 million per season and full control. He'll get neither from Art II.

Cowher's gone folks, and he's not coming back. Time to let go of the pipe dream.

Crash
01-22-2013, 12:52 PM
The draft is a crap shoot. Far from a guarantee.

Have to change their free agency stance too.

Crash
01-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Kaye wasn't sick until about a year before she died.

Had nothing to do with his leaving.

thethinkingguy
01-23-2013, 11:02 PM
All, good conversation, especially on the first page. If you haven't yet, I encourage you to check out our first article on www.steelcitystats.com (http://www.steelcitystats.com). We explore data from the last 3 seasons to determine which stats can be used to help show why teams won as many or last as many games as they did. We then go deep into the relevant stats to show why Pittsburgh lost the division.

As many of you suggest above, turnovers are important in predicting games over the long run. Sacks are not, rushing is not. Read the article for in depth details.