PDA

View Full Version : A Weak 2013 nfl draft calls for drastic action for 8-8 teams.

weakdraft
01-19-2013, 03:46 PM
This is probably the weakest draft I've ever seen. We aren't going to get an impact player out of this draft.

I think the very best move the Steelers could make this off-season would be to pick up a diamond in the rough from another team.

Sometimes teams let gems sit on the bench until they need him, and then they shine.

2 years ago, the Raiders picked up an awesome talent in the later rounds, and because minor injuries, he hasn't been given a chance to shine.

When he was coming out of college, I held my breath and crossed my fingers and toes that the Steelers would pick him up, but they didn't.

I think the steelers need a game breaker RB, and I also think that the Raiders Taiwan Jones fits that bill.

Get this, he was a shutdown corner in college until his team needed a RB, then he switched to RB and excelled.

Taiwan Jones can play RB with the best of them, and he can cover with the best DB's, and he can return kicks and punts.

He only played RB in college a short time, so when he came into the NFL he had a slight fumbling problem, because NFL is a little more skilled at stripping the ball.

I think he can be better than Jamaal Charles or McCluckster, and he reminds me of great turf runners of days gone by.

He is the fastest Raider. Remember Preist Homes and how he blossomed in a different climate?

With such a weak draft, the best thing the Steelrs could do is give the Raiders a 3 and or 4 round picks for Jones.

LatrobePA
01-19-2013, 04:21 PM
2 drafts in 1 for us this year with a few IR season ending rookies coming back. We'll be fine!!

weakdraft
01-19-2013, 04:36 PM
We won't be fine until we get a RB that can move the chains downfield, or take it to the end zone.

Taiwan Jones is a freak. Speed, good hands, runs between tackles, good eyes.

The guy is tailor made for Todd Haley. Such a freakish athlete.

HE injured a foot before the draft, and it nagged him his first year. He had minor injuries associated with compensating for the injury last year.

He is healthy now. He is a team guy who loves the game. We could get 10 years out of him.

He reminds me of Terrell Davis in a lot of ways. Marcus Allen too.

Cricker24
01-19-2013, 06:09 PM
What makes you think the Raiders would be willing to trade him? Plus, the diamond in the rough you speak of could very well be in this "weak" draft. I want a great running back too, but I can't see the Steelers trading for a guy that's had injuries despite not really playing that much.

Chris :tt02:

LatrobePA
01-19-2013, 06:47 PM
So we get a RB! This team will dip into the FA market...

Big T
01-19-2013, 08:08 PM
You know, when I think "drastic action" the first thing that pops into my head is "hey, we need to trade for an ex 4th round pick at running back that has a total of 94 rushing yards and 5 receiving yards in his 2 year career. That'll turn us around."

Look, I get it. I was a big fan of Taiwan Jones coming out of Eastern Washington. Starting in the 3rd round I was hoping for him. But let's be real. You're making him out to be Adrian Peterson with Darrelle Revis cover skills. He can be a nice change of pace guy, which I was hoping he'd be in Pittsburgh, not a workhorse. He's 6'0 197 lbs. it shouldn't be a surprise that he can't stay healthy. He's a taller Chris Rainey type. I'd be down for Taiwan Jones on this team, but he wouldn't fix this teams issues.

jdehoff83
01-19-2013, 09:58 PM
You know, when I think "drastic action" the first thing that pops into my head is "hey, we need to trade for an ex 4th round pick at running back that has a total of 94 rushing yards and 5 receiving yards in his 2 year career. That'll turn us around."

Look, I get it. I was a big fan of Taiwan Jones coming out of Eastern Washington. Starting in the 3rd round I was hoping for him. But let's be real. You're making him out to be Adrian Peterson with Darrelle Revis cover skills. He can be a nice change of pace guy, which I was hoping he'd be in Pittsburgh, not a workhorse. He's 6'0 197 lbs. it shouldn't be a surprise that he can't stay healthy. He's a taller Chris Rainey type. I'd be down for Taiwan Jones on this team, but he wouldn't fix this teams issues.
Lol and there goes the wind in them sails

polamalu43
01-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Guys what do you think about this.....trade our first this year for a teams first next year and their 2nd this year?

I'd love to see an accumulation of picks one year........just a thought

Real Deal Steel
01-20-2013, 02:03 AM
I love where your trying to go. But remember, we have Colbert as our GM. Are you that confident that he can evlauate and pick gems in the later rounds? Gems that will pay dividends this season? Because we need a DT this season. Not a guy who's a project.

ChucktownSteeler
01-20-2013, 09:31 AM
This draft is a little weak at certain positions (QB and RB), but there is good defensive talent available.

DBR96A
01-20-2013, 09:43 AM
I love where your trying to go. But remember, we have Colbert as our GM. Are you that confident that he can evlauate and pick gems in the later rounds? Gems that will pay dividends this season? Because we need a DT this season. Not a guy who's a project.

Yes, we're done with "projects" for the next couple of years.

coldrolled
01-20-2013, 01:31 PM
This draft is a little weak at certain positions (QB and RB), but there is good defensive talent available.

Right which makes it perfect to get the OT/G 1st then the BPA at RB 2nd

then go all defense.

steelchamp204
01-20-2013, 01:34 PM
I am really digging this Warmack kid now in the first, if he falls to 17.

ChucktownSteeler
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
We need LB help, RB help, and Safety help before we go anywhere near OL.

steelchamp204
01-20-2013, 03:37 PM
We need LB help, RB help, and Safety help before we go anywhere near OL.

The only help we need at LB is for Harrisons side. I belieive Harrison will be here for one last season so he will be fully healed. I We are fine at MLB with Foote/Spence/Timmons and Woodley will have a bounce back year this coming season, well I hope.

Saftey is a little deep this draft and I think we can get one in the second. Rbs, Im not sure how deep they are but Im pretty sure we can get Graham maybe in the 3rd.

What I meant to say earlier is, I wouldnt be upset if they went OL, but ONLY if Wamack fell that far is all.

Zachintosh66
01-20-2013, 03:47 PM

agreed Quality LB's... prolly the "deepest" position

JollyRob68
01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
I am really digging this Warmack kid now in the first, if he falls to 17.

If Warmack is there you take him. An improved OL will help our running game.

Nolrog
01-20-2013, 07:56 PM
The Steelers have huge holes on this team. Giving up the 3rd and 4th for a guy who couldn't play thru minor injuries (your words, not mine). A guy who's rushed 22 times in his career, and by your description, has very little experience in RB to begin with. Although RB is an area of need, there's no way I'd give up a 3 and a 4 for him. If he was that good, he'd get playing time on Oakland. Sometimes guys sit in the bench because they're not good enough to play as well.

With picks in the 3rd or later rounds, we were able to get Sanders, C. Brown, A. Brown and Wallace just to name a few. Plus, you want to give up a 3 and a 4 for a guy they picked in the 4th that can't touch their field. That's just foolish.

Nolrog
01-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Right which makes it perfect to get the OT/G 1st then the BPA at RB 2nd

then go all defense.

The offesnive line isn't an area of need. If there isn't a guy in the first, then trade out of the first like Baltimore did last year.

Also keep in mind, that we'll start next year without our starting RB, without our starting TE and without one of our starting receivers. You're looking to replace only one of them.

TarlsQtr
01-20-2013, 09:08 PM
I do not agree with looking for OL in the first round but if Warmack is available he is easily the best player by far. I do not see how you put anyone else' s name down.

weakdraft
01-21-2013, 05:11 PM
I probably should have put more emphasis on the Toadd Haley angle.
Taiwan would do extremely well in a Todd Haley offense.
Taiwan doesn't appear to be a "3 yards in a cloud of dust back", but if you put him in space, in a spread offense, and get him the bal, he would be dynamic.
He is a FREAK ATHLETE WITH 4.3 FLAT SPEED.
He can run between the tackles too.

He didn't fit in the Raiders style offense. Jones needs 20 touches a game. He might not get much for 10 touches, but if you keep feeding him the ball, he can make several big plays for you.

He hurt his foot in college, and tried to play thru it his first year. Last year, the coaches just missed on him.

The reason the Raiders didn't play him is because he put the ball on a the ground a few times, but most rookis do.

AP had fumble troubles too, but he worked thru them. I think AP had 9 fumbles his first year. YOU LEARN THAT IN THE NFL, THEY ARE ALWAYS LOOKING TO STRIP THE BALL, IN COLLEGE, NOT SO MUCH. "COACH EM UP!!!"

weakdraft
01-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Raider watchers say Taiwan Jones is a beast in practice, they can't understand why the lousy coaches don't play him either.

He learned how to hang onto the ball. They say he had outstanding cover skill as a CB, but when his team needed a RB in a pinch, they switched him to RB because he was the best athelete on the team.

He has good hands, so you could line him up wide, or in the backfield. And you could probably use him at safety of CB in a pinch. HE JUST LOVES TO PLAY FOOTBALL.

PLUS, HE CAN RETURN KICKS AND PUNTS. HE IS A PLAYMAKER.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-21-2013, 05:35 PM
^ this message brought to you by Taiwan Jones

Big T
01-21-2013, 06:24 PM
^ this message brought to you by Taiwan Jones

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing

weakdraft
01-22-2013, 10:50 AM
You people are nutz. I live in Sturgis S.D. ......... ask admin to check the IP.

I'm pretty certain that if the steelers don't right their ship, we could be in for a loooog winning drought.
Us steeler fans have had it pretty good for the last 40 years or so.
I look forward to Sunday football all my life because Steelers win.

How do you feel about the steelers missing on Marino back in 83? We'd have about 10 to 12 lombardis.

IF THE STEELERS ARE GOING TO WIN, THEY NEED TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EVERY OPPORTUNITY OUT THERE.

I SAW THIS 8-8 SEASON COMING AND WROTE A LETTER TO THE PITTSBURGH NEWSPAPER EDITOR SAYING THAT, BACK IN SEPT.

I CAN SEE 4-12 NEXT YEAR. .............No pass rush, waaay overpaid Linebackers, old and injury prone secondary, OL "can't" protect Ben because they don't have eyes on the back of their head and never know where he is, No running game or explosive RB, great WR -but no QB to get them the ball downfield because the QB likes to play schoolyard football.

AND A HEAD COACH WHO WON WITH COWHERS TEAM, BUT HAS NO ABILITY TO BUILD AND COACH HIS OWN TEAM.

8-8 COULD HE BEST WE'LL SEE FOR AWHILE, FOLKS.

Crash
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
And Cowher won with Noll's players early.

When they left, they didn't win anymore.

Then Dan Rooney pulled rank and drafted Ben.

Works both ways.

If Tomlin won with Cowher's players shouldn't Tomlin be allowed to build his own team?

Crash
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
"School yard football" LOL

Yeah Ben can't get the ball down field.

5th all time in YPA before the golf coach showed up.

connecticutsteel
01-22-2013, 01:27 PM
I do not agree with looking for OL in the first round but if Warmack is available he is easily the best player by far. I do not see how you put anyone else' s name down. Larry Warford is just as good if not better than Warmack Warford is not as well known because he played on a horrible team and warmack played for Alabama Warford set a record for consecutive starts so he has more experience than Warmack

Real Deal Steel
01-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Seems to me, we've can't just let Wallace walk for nothing. If we do, I'll be calling for Colbert's job. We need to get "something" for Wallace. Even if it's just an additional 3rd pick.

But you can't tell me we can't get atleast a second round pick from someone for Wallace. That would go a long way in helping us to get where we want to go.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Seems to me, we've can't just let Wallace walk for nothing. If we do, I'll be calling for Colbert's job. We need to get "something" for Wallace. Even if it's just an additional 3rd pick.

But you can't tell me we can't get atleast a second round pick from someone for Wallace. That would go a long way in helping us to get where we want to go.

The Steelers used to let talent walk for nothing all the time. They are in trouble (cap wise) because they stopped adhering to that principle while trying to keep an aging contender together.

Wallace WILL walk for nothing. And it's the right thing to do.

The only move the Steelers could make, is to franchise tag him.... but then they run the awful risk of Wallace SIGNING the tag, and essentially putting them is a complete disaster scenario with regards to the cap.

Calling for Colbert's job, when he does the right thing, will be great entertainment for me

TarlsQtr
01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Larry Warford is just as good if not better than Warmack Warford is not as well known because he played on a horrible team and warmack played for Alabama Warford set a record for consecutive starts so he has more experience than Warmack

Warford is very good (I live an hour from Lexington and get to watch him) but he does not compare to Warmack, IMO. I would put him behind Cooper from NC as well.

I really do hate the idea of drafting OL again but I just cannot imagine passing this guy up if he makes it to us.

Crash
01-22-2013, 04:54 PM
They should at least transition tag him. Give them the right to match.

TarlsQtr
01-22-2013, 04:57 PM

And exactly what is the alternative? You cannot get something for a player that is not under contract to you. Wallace has no reason to do us a favor and sign with us just to be traded. Likewise, other teams are not going to sit around and let us sign Wallace and then trade a draft choice when they could just have signed him in the first place and kept the pick.

The only other option, as NPB pointed out, is to franchise him and run a huge risk of busting our own cap. Even if you do that, it will be about $10 million (more than he is worth) and no one is going to give that kind of coin AND draft pick(s) for Wallace.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-22-2013, 05:24 PM
They should at least transition tag him. Give them the right to match.

Why? The transition tag does nothing.

A franchise tag requires another team attempting to sign him to part with draft picks
A transition tag requires no compensation

Essentially, the transition tag is meaningless, and it's only used in situations like Max Starks, where you DON'T expect another team to offer a significant long term deal to the player, so the transition tag ends up being a better deal for them. But at the same time, you dont want to sign them to a long term extension (see Max Starks, ironically, the ONLY player to be slapped with a transition tag since the removal of the "poison pill" stuff from the CBA)

Essentially, using the Transition Tag on Mike Wallace would just be dumb (cap wise)... and meaningless (other team could still sign him away as if he were a free agent with no compensation to Steelers)

NeilPatrickBanana
01-22-2013, 05:27 PM
In case anyone is interested... here's the projected 2013 tag numbers...
CB: Franchise: $10.668 Transition: $8.939
DE: Franchise: $10.984 Transition: $8.994
DT: Franchise: $8.306 Transition: $6.919
K/P: Franchise: $2.926 Transition: $2.654
LB: Franchise: $9.455 Transition: $8.216
OL: Franchise: $9.660 Transition: $8.560
QB: Franchise: $14.642 Transition: $12.845
RB: Franchise: $8.079 Transition: $6.851
S: Franchise: $6.798 Transition: $5.899
TE: Franchise: $5.962 Transition: $5.105
WR: Franchise: $10.357 Transition: $8.716

Crash
01-22-2013, 05:42 PM
I would do the transition tag for that price. He's not going to sign it unless he has to. You can get the $8 mil in cap room simply by re-working Ben's 2013 base salary into a bonus if he's still here.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
I would do the transition tag for that price. He's not going to sign it unless he has to. You can get the $8 mil in cap room simply by re-working Ben's 2013 base salary into a bonus if he's still here.

The Steelers are 17 million over the cap. Ben's restrcuture was to largely be a part of getting under the cap with enough room to sign some depth and hold space for draft picks. They can create about 20 million in space by restructuring Ben, Wwoodley, Timmons, and Brown

They can get another 10 million if they cut Harrison, Keisel, Colon, and Cotchery.

So that would leave 13 million in space

Giving Wallace a transition tag would leave about 4 million.... which is probably not enough to sign a rookie class.

If you are good with losing Hampton, Harrison, Keisel, Foote, Will Allen, Keenan Lewis,, Mendenhall, Burress, Cotchery, Colon, Starks, Legursky, Foster.... and replacing them with... 2nd year players and rookies... then by all means tag Wallace and destroy the roster

Not only that, but tagging Wallace would most likely cause him to hold out through camp and pre-season again, causing the same problems we saw this year in chemistry, timing, learning the offense.

LatrobePA
01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Wallace will be gone for the sake of the team.

weakdraft
01-23-2013, 03:13 AM
If you get a RB who can push the ball down the field, or score from 99 yards out, ALL YOUR OTHER PROBLEMS GO AWAY.
It burns clock, your defense can give up scores, your passing and protection doesn't need to be that good, and so on.

coach
01-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I am not sure the running game was what let us down the most this past season, especially when you factor in the injuries on O-line and RB. We actually had a few really good games running the ball. Our D had problems covering (combintaion of DBs and lack of presure) and the age of our D players will become more problematic if we don't address it in the draft. When you lose the number of games we lost, to the type of teams we lost to, the draft is "likely" the best answer to your problems. When you talk of relatively weak draft classes, all 32 teams pick from the same pool, so getting the best players available will help you to "relatively" improve your team.

With many new GMs and HCs, I hope a few QBs fly off the board in the first and leave us with some of the best D players to choose from.

LatrobePA
01-23-2013, 12:36 PM
I've said it before, when the head coach benches your first round RB in favor of undrafted turds, that's a problem! I under stand the suspension for a game but not the benching.

weakdraft
01-23-2013, 07:19 PM
In the era of artificial turf, it was easy to find great running backs. Now that we are back to natural surfaces, you aren't going to see the days where you have 5 or 6 great RB's in the league at the same time.

A running game that can consistently move the chains and burn clock, while resting your defense and producing points is more important than a good passing game. O-linemen prefer to run block anyway because they can just tee off.

The steelers neeed a running game. Great backs don't need great lines. Earl Campbell, Payton,Dickerson, OJ, and others didn't have lines like Emmit Smith, Marcus Allen, Harris, and others had.

The steelers need a RB that can move chains and take it the distance.

If we are going to stay elite, we have to find that RB. Priest Holmes didn't excel until he went to KC. Bettis didn't excel until he came to the Burg. Sometimes a change in scenery and teams makes a big difference for a guy.

I believe that we could see Taiwan Jones morph into a Marcus Allen type if he came to the Burg, and we give him 20 touches a game. Haley knows how to use him in space.

Jones was a late round pick but so was Terrell Davis, and many other former players. Jones put the ball on the ground a few times and they gave up on him because the Oakland coach was paranoid about his job.

AP and Tiki Barber also had fumbling problems that they overcame. You learn that in the NFL you have to be careful because everybody practices stripping the ball.

I'M TALKING ABOUT THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE OF THE STEELERS HERE. WE NEED A PLAYMAKER RB. ONE IS AVAILABLE FOR PEANUTS, TAKE A CHANCE. GIVE THE RAIDERS A 3RD ROUNDER FOR JONES. THATS WHERE THEY DRAFTED HIM. THROW IN A LATER ROUND PICK IF YOU HAVE TO. DUDE CAN PLAY ! FILM DONT LIE !

Would you take Chris Johnson for a 3rd rounder?

K Train
01-23-2013, 07:27 PM
taiwan jones isnt even trusted to get on the field, thats a nonsensical idea...mcfadden and goodman were both hurt and jones wasnt given any carries at all. thats a horrible idea

and chris johnson is way to expensive

priest holmes was running behind an offensive line full of hall of famers, and bettis had a badass oline and some of the quickest feet youll ever see on a RB, dont act like a rare talent like that comes around every day

Nolrog
01-23-2013, 08:21 PM
I'M TALKING ABOUT THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE OF THE STEELERS HERE. WE NEED A PLAYMAKER RB. ONE IS AVAILABLE FOR PEANUTS, TAKE A CHANCE. GIVE THE RAIDERS A 3RD ROUNDER FOR JONES. THATS WHERE THEY DRAFTED HIM. THROW IN A LATER ROUND PICK IF YOU HAVE TO. DUDE CAN PLAY ! FILM DONT LIE !

That's completely ridiculous. First, you don't even know where he was drafted. They didn't draft him in the 3rd, they drafted him in the 4th. Not only that, but he was their second 4th round pick, at number 28. And you want to give up a 3rd round pick to get a player who couldn't touch the field on a 4-12 team. It's moronic; and stop fracking shouting.

No, I wouldn't give them a 3rd, or a 4th or a 5th for you Taiwan; in fact, I absolutely no interest in you. Go try the Jets forums. They're stupid over there.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-23-2013, 10:34 PM
trading a 3rd round pick for taiwan jones is among the dumbest suggestions this board has ever seen...

I'd offer a conditional 7th, the condition being that he made the team

on a side note... if you are trying to pluck a lesser known running back from another team. One that has actually proven to be a capable NFL RB. You should look at Joique Bell in Detroit. He's a RFA. Detroit has cap issues, I doubt they qualify him at anything more than the minimum (UDFA).

weakdraft
01-25-2013, 07:19 AM
That's completely ridiculous. First, you don't even know where he was drafted. They didn't draft him in the 3rd, they drafted him in the 4th. Not only that, but he was their second 4th round pick, at number 28. And you want to give up a 3rd round pick to get a player who couldn't touch the field on a 4-12 team. It's moronic; and stop fracking shouting.

No, I wouldn't give them a 3rd, or a 4th or a 5th for you Taiwan; in fact, I absolutely no interest in you. Go try the Jets forums. They're stupid over there.

They were 4-12 because they didn't game plan around him and use him. But then, the HC was dimwitted.