PDA

View Full Version : K Train's First 2013 Mock

K Train
01-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Heres my first mock of the year, I have my pick and then several alternate picks...this early in the process this might look like a jumble of names and thats because it is. I like to explain and try to justify the pick and i will briefly do the same with the alt picks.

You can hate on it, just tell me why or Im going to be a dick. I like everyones input, but if you look back on these threads guys like Timmons, Sepulveda, Pouncey, Sweed, Gilbert, C. Brown, Heyward (2011 was a good year for me), Dwyer, Thad Gibson, Decastro, Mike Adams, Taamu, and Paulson all were on one of my 3 mocks a year at one point or another....im just on fire the last few years. But the alts are really intended to be guys to watch on the rise and fall over the next few months

1) Manti Te'o MLB Notre Dame (dream pick is Jarvis Jones (dream pick last year was David Decastro*))
Barkevious Mingo, Eifert, Dion Jordon, David Amerson, Keenan Allen, Eric Reid

A ton of Notre Dame Haters on the board, i get it i really do. They give themselves an easy independent schedule, they turn 90% of catholics into the biggest football fans when they are doing good, they get overrated because of the massive audience they bring in, and they are always on ****ing tv....trust me, I hate them too. But lets be real people, none of that is Manti Teos fault. Cant let allegiance to a school skew your views of a player when he goes pro, and Teo is a damn fine linebacker even if he makes up girls.

He reminds me a lot of james farrior but hes much bigger, he could play 7 LB positions, has incredible instincts, and has legit sideline to sideline range. He has the size to take on guards and room to get bigger to become even better against the run but the man can can a guard on one on one or shoot a gap with the best of them. He had a bad game in the NC, against some great talent...we need to look past that to an extent. THe body of work he compiled speaks well beyond one game where the irish were simply out classed on the field and on the sideline. I maintain hes the best LB since willis....thats better than hawk, mcclain, rivers, timmons, bowman, maualuga, lauranitis, kuechly, cushing, matthews, lee, spikes, hightower, jackson, simms, beason and any other guy you can come back at me with...teo is a better prospect.

He would lead the defense, he would create turnovers, stuff the run, blitz, rush the passer, and imo most importantly...cover TEs.

Mingo and Jordon are both insane athletes, and honestly not usually what he look for in an OLB but it may be time to break that mold. With Hampton out and Heyward likely getting MANY more snaps on defense im not sure we need a stud OLB against the run, even with hood in and aaron smith out we posted the #1 run defense and hood is truly the worst starter we have on either side of the ball. We usually go for shorter, stockier and most importantly powerful OLBs, but these guys are dazzling athletes that are born the chase down QBs....Jordon is better, but mingo has some scary potential too. Mingo scares me though too in that he reminds me a TON of aaron maybin, who was sooo explosive and had such a vicious first step but was a liability against the run.

Eifert is an excellent talent, so is Ertz, his only real competition to be anythng worth a damn at TE this year. He would ulitimately replace miller but i think haley would love him as he could play in the slot or out wide even once miller is rehabbed. Hes better than Rudolph and Carlson, and i LOVE Rudolph

I hate Amerson as a CB, but I feel all tingly inside thinking of him as a FS...hes a pick machine, and not by accident, his ball skills are elite. He can run, he can catch, and he can lay the boom. He would be an excellent conversion guy.

Keenan Allen is really the only WR i have interest in using a first round pick on...wouldnt hate it at all, but really the team could be poised to make a run at Bowe....not by any means a typical steeler move, but bowe would be a great steeler, especially under haley. Who knows, the FO might think its time to move some things around and make that splash move they make once a decade.

2) Travis Frederick OG Wisconsin
Matt Elam, Xavier Rhodes, TJ Mcdonald, Chase Thomas, Shayne Skov, Justin Hunter

I LOVE Frederick as a guard, he fell off a bit this year moving to center to replace Konz, but hes a beastly guard (i actually have him ranked #1 among guards, and im a HUGE fan are warmack) and if they landed him to play LG I'd make a bet with anyone that out of mike adams, Travis Frederick, Pouncey, Decastro, and Gilbert we end up with a hall of famer coming out of that line.

Matt Elam would be an excellent FS, he really plays all out and can do everything, including playing corner and covering man to man. Not afraid to stick his nose in the run game either and has a knack for creating turnovers.

Xavier Rhodes is a guy i love seeing fall off the map, loved him 2 years ago...thought he was a nnamdi clone, and that hasnt changed. He is excellent in press man coverage, has good hips, good ball skills and ridiculously long arms. More to come on Rhodes in the next few weeks.

Chase Thomas is a high effort pass rusher that could be a 2nd/3rd round steal in the right system. I love him as a pass rusher, not quite clay matthews as far as white OLBs go but definitely better than barwin, kruger, brooks reed ect were coming out imo

Skov is a guy i think id really like in the middle too, nothing flashy but does his job and can take on guards....would be an upgrade over foote, who really actually has come into his own lately but by no means is irreplaceable.

Justin Hunter is next on my list after Keenan Allen as a moderately "big" WR that ben clearly wants and really kind of needs with the smurfs we have running around. Hes just not the precise passer that can deal with this quick little guys and thats it, he thrives with the big WRs and TEs which opens up so much for littler guys like brown and sanders.

3) Jesse Williams NT Bama
Da'rick Rogers, Gerald Hodges, Margus Hunt, Desmond Trufant, Dennard Robinson

Jesse Williams is one of my favorite NTs this year....Is he as good as Marcel Dareus was at Bama? Nope...but he is a disruptive NT that is a decent athlete for his massive size. Sucks they just invested a 4th rounder in Taamu, but maybe just cutting ties and moving on sooner rather than later is for the best (even though i still have faith in Mcclendon Woods, and Taamu) I like him more than Josh Chapman, another former bama NT who i loved last season. He would be able to play right away and be an immediate replacement and upgrade over hampton....this is a steal after not investing a first rounder in guys like Jenkins or Hankins

Gerald Hodges i like as a MLB in a 34, I dont think hes that far off from Lee or Bowman the other year and i usually hate all penn state players not named Paul.

Margus Hunt is a VERY interesting guy, hes about 6-8 or 6-9, super raw but has the potential to fall somewhere between JJ Watt and Calais Campbell as a 34 DE. The have guys at SMU, I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him get a lot of looks from the steelers, i think he could be an awesome player.

Dennard Robinson is a an insane athlete, has hester-like return ability, better than randel el gadget ability, and could prove to actually be a decent WR prospect at around 6-0 and 200 pounds, he actually has a sturdy build even though hes labeled as vastly undersized (because he plays QB)

4) Brandon Jenkins OLB Florida State
Ryan Swope, Jon Bostic, Aaron Murray, Mike Gissellie, Montee Ball

Jenkins could be one of the top DE/OLBs when its all said and done but i would imagine his knee would drop him to the 4th round range. He is one hell of a conversion guy, could stand up and play elephant LB even though he looks much more like an OLB, he kind of reminds me of a cross between anthony spencer and manny lawson. Spencer is meh as a LB but a good pass rusher and excellent against the run meanwhile Lawson looks more like a pass rusher but has played much better dropping back and playing a more traditional SAM backer with cincy. Jenkins could do it all imo

Swope is a very interesting WR prospect, definitely the kind of big play guy that would help the steelers...more to come on swope after we see his timings

Bostic would be assuming we miss out on a top MLB like Teo, Skov, or Ogletree but he would be an excellent plug and play MLB and special teamer for us

Murray is the one i really wanted to comment on, hes short but has terrific accuracy and good arm strength. Bout time we get a real backup for ben, someone who can come in, be willing to learn the new system and make it his own. Possible successor to ben, but not neccesarily....but definitely a guy id feel comfortable with taking snaps when the start QB gets his next injury at the worst possible time.

Ball is a guy that clearly should have declared last year when his stock was at its highest. I think hes a good player, a hard runner with good vision and decent speed. He reminds me a lot of Chester Taylor, my only problem is im not convinced hes a significant upgrade at the position at this time.

5) Marcus Lattimore RB South Carolina
Gonna be a lot of "I wouldnt waste a pick" on an injured player, well I am 100% for it as high as a 3rd round pick. You hae needs to fill now but you cant sell short the immediate future either....IR him, and you essentially you get 2 first rounders the following year and Lattimore is an incredible talent, not quite trent richardson but who the hell is? Take a flier on an elite back that has injury problems, the position has a short shelf life anyway...if you can get 3-4 years out of him after giving him a year to rest and rehab, you come out of this a winner. If Mcgahee is a first round pick, Lattimore is worth anything after that for sure

6) B.W Webb CB William and Mary
One of my sleepers this year, from Tomlins Alma Mater. Fast CB that could be a decent developmental guy for a 6th round pick

7) Sam Mcguffie WR/RB Rice
Just because the mcguffie videos of him hurdling over people are awesome and I hate mocking someone i dont know in the 7th round. Hes Danny woodhead, just bigger and more talented

Ibleedblk&gld
01-18-2013, 08:36 PM
as a Michigan fan, I love that Denard Robinson is on so many peoples mocks for us...he played QB at Michigan, basically until the Outback bowl, and is entering the draft as a WR (with Devin Gardner taking his spot at QB next year, maybe Denard should have played more at WR this season instead)

my only gripe with him is the amount of plays he sat out after taking a hit...

K Train
01-18-2013, 08:41 PM
as a Michigan fan, I love that Denard Robinson is on so many peoples mocks for us...he played QB at Michigan, basically until the Outback bowl, and is entering the draft as a WR (with Devin Gardner taking his spot at QB next year, maybe Denard should have played more at WR this season instead)

my only gripe with him is the amount of plays he sat out after taking a hit...

Ive had him mocked to us for months now, i like the fit and his hits would be cut down a lot playing less of a QB/RB role and more of a WR. Hes a fantastic returner though, he will take hits there but hes a nightmare in the open field

Ibleedblk&gld
01-18-2013, 08:43 PM
oh definitely, love his speed

connecticutsteel
01-19-2013, 04:35 AM
Great picks i'm gonna post mine today please give me your feedback

Zachintosh66
01-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Teo & Jesse Williams would be epic...

NeilPatrickBanana
01-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Well done. We share many similar view points. I'll post detailed comments later

strummerfan
01-19-2013, 11:08 AM
I just don't see them drafting a NT with Mclendon,Ta'amu, and Fangupo already on the roster.

USMC607
01-19-2013, 12:15 PM
You deff won't get the don't pick an injured player from me when it comes to Lattimore... Taking a chance on him in the 5th round would be a steal... Let him heal up next yr, then watch him tear it up when he gets healthy....

This kid would have easily been a 1st rd pick. and of course we all worry about if hes injury prone since its been 2 yrs in a row and how his knee will affect his game... But with his skill set it is worth it. If McGahee can come back so can Lattimore...

scudmissile29
01-19-2013, 12:20 PM
No way do I want Teo

And no way do I want a related family member of the famous murderer ray ray on our team.

USMC607
01-19-2013, 12:21 PM
I would be very happy with this Draft although i wanna look up stats and highlights of picks 6 and 7 because to be honest i haven't heard too much about them. But a very solid draft.... Jesse williams and Te'O would be AWESOME

Ill also follow suit and be posting my Official Pre-Combine mock draft later today...

USMC607
01-19-2013, 12:24 PM
If Mcgahee is a first round pick, Lattimore is worth anything after that for sure

Just noticed that quote, i pretty much wrote the same thing too..

Black@Gold Forever32
01-19-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't disagree that Lattimore isn't worth a 3rd round pick but I would sit back with him and see if you can land him in the 4th or 5th round....I see this draft as a very important one for the Steelers and they really need to hit on their first three picks.......They need these players really to contribute right away and can't really wait for a player coming of injury to fully heal....I wouldn't be mad if they did take Lattimore in the 3rd but 5th would be great.....

K Train
01-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Every draft is very important to every team, just because the team was 8-8 doesn't mean we need a bunch of day one starters. Building blocks are essential and honestly we usually never let rounds 3-7 play much if at all the rookie year, were gonna be relying on guys from 2012 to step up more than the rookies. Lattimore would get the same treatment only he physically won't be able to play. You know how I'm always for acquiring an extra first rounder, well I would treat this as an extra 1st rounder in 2014 which would excite the hell out of me

connecticutsteel
01-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Lattimore scares me for one reason his knee has been rebuilt twice now and with the current nfl practice format he's an injury waiting to happen

Black@Gold Forever32
01-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Every draft is very important to every team, just because the team was 8-8 doesn't mean we need a bunch of day one starters. Building blocks are essential and honestly we usually never let rounds 3-7 play much if at all the rookie year, were gonna be relying on guys from 2012 to step up more than the rookies. Lattimore would get the same treatment only he physically won't be able to play. You know how I'm always for acquiring an extra first rounder, well I would treat this as an extra 1st rounder in 2014 which would excite the hell out of me

No doubt every draft is important....But there is a transition going on with the Steelers roster (more so in recent memory) so to me this draft is really important and this team better start looking to getting something out of their first three picks like most teams in the NFL......All I'm saying is rather see them take somebody that can actually contribute in the third round rather then wait for a player to fully heal and really may never be the same........Like I said I wouldn't be mad if they took Lattimore in the 3rd but would prefer to take a chance on him in the 4th or 5th round.....

Cricker24
01-19-2013, 05:44 PM
K Train, I really like this draft. I have some questions for you. First, I thought Aaron Murray decided to go back to Georgia for his senior year? I would love to see the Steelers get Manti Te'o, and not just because I'm a HUGE Notre Dame fan, but because him and Timmons would be an insane combination at MLB. What do you think are the real chances of getting Te'o at 17? I noticed you don't have Eddie Lacy listed anywhere. Is there a reason you don't have him as a possibility? I like Denard Robinson too. In fact, I had him in my early mock draft as well, which is posted on here, but do you think the Steelers might pass on him because he's in the same mold as Brown and Sanders as far as build? I like the idea of Lattimore, but do you think given the Steelers need to have a 3 down RB now will cause them to not even look at him since he probably won't play until 2014? These are just some questions I'd love to hear your feedback on. If you didn't check out my early mock draft, please take a look and let me know what you think. I'd really like to hear your opinion. Thanks!!

Chris :tt02:

polamalu43
01-20-2013, 12:13 AM
1 - trade number ones and take Dion Jordan late in Round 1 and pick up an extra 3
2 - Eric Reed FS
3 - Dennard Robinson WR
3 - Gerald Hodges LB
4 - Zac Dysert QB
5 - Christine Micheal RB
6 - Marc Anthony - CB
7 - Joseph Fauria - TE

ChucktownSteeler
01-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks for posting. I think we need a RB earlier and also a legitimate #2 QB.

Nolrog
01-21-2013, 08:49 AM
I think this would be a very solid draft. However, I disagree with much of it.

We'll be starting 2013 without our starting RB, without one of our starting WRs and without our starting TE. This draft doesn't address any of those needs, which are quite significant. Plus that would be yet another high pick on the OL, which would now sport two ones and three twos. We're suffering elsewhere because of that; and we should be able to get good talent later in the draft (the same with the DL). By the way, we may have a hall of famer in the group we already have.

I like the thought about Lattimore. Good outside the box thinking there (but no way would I spend a 3 on a guy who will sit on the DL for a year.)

This is a core type draft; building the guts of the team if you will. A couple months ago, I'd have been thrilled with this (though I would have hoped for a safety.). However, I think the needs that showed themselves during the year need immediate attention.

K Train
01-22-2013, 12:04 AM
1 - trade number ones and take Dion Jordan late in Round 1 and pick up an extra 3
2 - Eric Reed FS
3 - Dennard Robinson WR
3 - Gerald Hodges LB
4 - Zac Dysert QB
5 - Christine Micheal RB
6 - Marc Anthony - CB
7 - Joseph Fauria - TE

dion jordon will go much higher than "late"...probably top 10...aldon smith and JPP have put an extra premium on super athletic DEs that maybe dont have the same production as guys like jarvis jones and von miller. riskier than those guys but the payoff is huge. i would expect him to dazzle at the combine

K Train
01-22-2013, 12:11 AM
I think this would be a very solid draft. However, I disagree with much of it.

We'll be starting 2013 without our starting RB, without one of our starting WRs and without our starting TE. This draft doesn't address any of those needs, which are quite significant. Plus that would be yet another high pick on the OL, which would now sport two ones and three twos. We're suffering elsewhere because of that; and we should be able to get good talent later in the draft (the same with the DL). By the way, we may have a hall of famer in the group we already have.

I like the thought about Lattimore. Good outside the box thinking there (but no way would I spend a 3 on a guy who will sit on the DL for a year.)

This is a core type draft; building the guts of the team if you will. A couple months ago, I'd have been thrilled with this (though I would have hoped for a safety.). However, I think the needs that showed themselves during the year need immediate attention.
safety is a definite possiblity, its tough to judge safeties at this point (this time last year mark barron was a fringe first type guy)

wallace and mendenhall are still question marks, it might seem as their fate is already written as leaving, but we dont know for sure yet...they could easily sign mendenhall cheaply and they could certainly slap wallace with a franchise or transition tag.

eifert would be a great pick...but imo this is a very weak TE class right now, that could change and it probably will but im not sure they wouldnt be ok with paulson and pope for now (heaths status is still unknown as well)

they need to still get better on the oline, thats a position that was ignored for too long and its been catching up with them...and frederick would go a long way to making even average RBs look like they belong on the field, as well as not letting ben suffer season ruining seasons like he has the last two