PDA

View Full Version : Arians is the Cards HC : Official

NeilPatrickBanana
01-17-2013, 09:44 PM
sweet! here we go rumors, here we go!

DIESELMAN
01-17-2013, 10:58 PM
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has accepted a four-year deal from the Cardinals:

Adam Schefter✔ @AdamSchefter
Bruce Arians has accepted four-year deal, with a team option for a fifth year, as head coach with Arizona Cardinals.
17 Jan 13

DBR96A
01-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Andrew Luck will live to see 35 in the NFL after all.

LatrobePA
01-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Cardinals offer coach job to Arians; he's expected to accept

By

Published: January 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM PST

Modified: January 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM PST

The Arizona Cardinals have offered Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians their head-coaching job, and he's expected to accept, a source informed of the team's plans told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport .

The Cardinals met with Arians on Wednesday and Thursday. He was one of several candidates to replace former coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Arians assumed the Colts ' head-coaching duties this season on an interim basis after head coach Chuck Pagano took a leave from the team while receiving treatment for leukemia.

DIESELMAN
01-17-2013, 11:05 PM
So does BA hire Whisenhunt as OC and officially make Arizona.....Steelers West? :greengrin:

Crash
01-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Whiz is the new OC for the Bolts.

coldrolled
01-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Andrew Luck will live to see 35 in the NFL after all.

Ditto

USMC607
01-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Yep looks like Haley is stayin in Pittsburgh after all... Im sure the Haley Haters are happy to hear that. :cursin:

USMC607
01-17-2013, 11:30 PM
God bless Kevin Kolb... At the rate that guy gets hurt, with Arians they are going to be picking pieces of him up off the field

coldrolled
01-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Ben traded to Arizona for two #1's and 3 #2's

USMC607
01-17-2013, 11:31 PM
or Skelton... Whoever the flavor of the week is out there right now...

Talk about a ****** trade... Kevin Kolb... Yikes

LatrobePA
01-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Wallace to AZ for sure...

Big T
01-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Wallace to AZ for sure...

A team with no QB, $130 mill in Larry Fitzgerald, 2012 1st round pick Michael Floyd, and a solid #3 in Andre Roberts...

Not happening.

LatrobePA
01-18-2013, 12:15 AM
A team with no QB, $130 mill in Larry Fitzgerald, 2012 1st round pick Michael Floyd, and a solid #3 in Andre Roberts...

Not happening.

True I forgot about Fitz... Okay, then who does he snag because you know there will be a few.. Starks, Mendy??

NeilPatrickBanana
01-18-2013, 12:17 AM
True I forgot about Fitz... Okay, then who does he snag because you know there will be a few.. Starks, Mendy??

Starks would certainly make sense

Big T
01-18-2013, 12:24 AM
I could see Mendenhall signing there. Pretty sure Wells is a free agent, and I'm not sure the confidence they have in Williams, especially after another season ending injury. Definitely a possibility. And with their offensive line woes (and that's putting it nicely), I'd say it's more than likely Starks finds a home in AZ.

Real Deal Steel
01-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Arizona is definitely a landing place for Mendy now.

LatrobePA
01-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Wells is out but did or does BA like Mendy?

steelspikes
01-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Ben traded to Arizona for two #1's and 3 #2's
Not beyond the realm of possibility. Not sure we'd get those draft picks, however.. Maybe two #1's, two 2's, and two 3's.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-18-2013, 01:12 PM
I could see Mendenhall signing there. Pretty sure Wells is a free agent, and I'm not sure the confidence they have in Williams, especially after another season ending injury. Definitely a possibility. And with their offensive line woes (and that's putting it nicely), I'd say it's more than likely Starks finds a home in AZ.

Wells has a team option at 1.7

If they cut him, the Steelers should pursue. The injury history should make him low cost. The opportunity, should make it enticing for him to sign here

VTSteelerfan
01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Mendy won't go there.. He will never run the ball in a pass happy offense..

USMC607
01-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Well at least some truth will come out about whether or not he is a good coach or not...

So far hes rode on the coat-tails of having 2 really good QBs Ben and Luck...

Now he has Kolb and Skelton, Altho he does have good WR's. I wonder how his offense will do now... It will be pretty telling.

Goodfrom55
01-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Largely understated is Russ Grimm's inability to coach an O-line. . .he stunk in Pittsburgh and stunk in AZ. I could see Starks going out there and wouldn't be shocked to see Harrison follow behind him if he is cut.

I hope Arians does well. He's not a bad guy, he just can't call plays inside the 10.

USMC607
01-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Dont get me wrong i wish him the best too... But now that he doesn't have a good QB, it is time to see what he is really made out of. If he was alright, or if his QBs just made him look good

Big T
01-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Well at least some truth will come out about whether or not he is a good coach or not...

So far hes rode on the coat-tails of having 2 really good QBs Ben and Luck...

Now he has Kolb and Skelton, Altho he does have good WR's. I wonder how his offense will do now... It will be pretty telling.

Three... Can't forget Peyton Manning.

USMC607
01-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Three... Can't forget Peyton Manning.

Manning, Rothlisberger, Luck... Say what you want but the man has deff had the luxury of having game changing QBs to make him look good if he wasnt.

Goodfrom55
01-18-2013, 04:23 PM
More than on the field, I think he kept that Colts together and focused off the field as well.

I honestly believe if Arians coached the Ravens game, the Colts would have won. They were on a hot streak.

LatrobePA
01-18-2013, 04:31 PM
More than on the field, I think he kept that Colts together and focused off the field as well.

I honestly believe if Arians coached the Ravens game, the Colts would have won. They were on a hot streak.

I agree...

Crash
01-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Haley had Warner and blew a 24-6 lead in the NFC title game.

Haley had Warner and didn't do anything for three quarters in SB XLIII until we went prevent.

Haley had Ben and turned him into Trent Dilfer at the request of ownership.

So BFD when a coach has a great QB. Haley proved he can't win with them.

USMC607
01-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Haley had a 40 yr old Warner that although he played great and above expectations was past his prime and i dont think he compares to Manning, Ben, and Luck. Maybe 1999 Warner but not 2008 Warner. So Arians still had the upper hand in QB's.

I will admit that Haley bent over and took it with ownership turning our offense into a run first team when it was obvious we were not nor did we have the guys for it.

But i dont blame out record on haley he isnt totally responsible for the injuries, fumbles, dropped passes, lack of focus (cough cough wallace...) He didnt have any control over that. So while i say his first yr was not a great and Haley may not be a great O-Cord im not saying im giving up on him yet...

I mean b4 bens injury he was having a great yr and staying off of his ***.

I dont think you can argue tho a Great QB can make a average O-Cord look like a genius even if he is not.

I mean Brady makes most of his O-Cords look good Mcdaniels, Weis... But then when they went to teams with garbage QB's they failed... McDaniels (Orton) Weis (i think between ND HC, and KC OC he had 3 Decent seasons with garbage QBs - his first 2 yrs at ND with Quinn and the 10-6 yr with KC and Cassel which by the way they had a stellar run game)

NeilPatrickBanana
01-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Haley had Warner and blew a 24-6 lead in the NFC title game.

Haley had Warner and didn't do anything for three quarters in SB XLIII until we went prevent.

Haley had Ben and turned him into Trent Dilfer at the request of ownership.

So BFD when a coach has a great QB. Haley proved he can't win with them.

blinded by the fight

NeilPatrickBanana
01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Haley had a 40 yr old Warner that although he played great and above expectations was past his prime and i dont think he compares to Manning, Ben, and Luck. Maybe 1999 Warner but not 2008 Warner. So Arians still had the upper hand in QB's.

I will admit that Haley bent over and took it with ownership turning our offense into a run first team when it was obvious we were not nor did we have the guys for it.

But i dont blame out record on haley he isnt totally responsible for the injuries, fumbles, dropped passes, lack of focus (cough cough wallace...) He didnt have any control over that. So while i say his first yr was not a great and Haley may not be a great O-Cord im not saying im giving up on him yet...

I mean b4 bens injury he was having a great yr and staying off of his ***.

I dont think you can argue tho a Great QB can make a average O-Cord look like a genius even if he is not.

I mean Brady makes most of his O-Cords look good Mcdaniels, Weis... But then when they went to teams with garbage QB's they failed... McDaniels (Orton) Weis (i think between ND HC, and KC OC he had 3 Decent seasons with garbage QBs - his first 2 yrs at ND with Quinn and the 10-6 yr with KC and Cassel which by the way they had a stellar run game)

yea, because being 21st in the NFL in Rushing Play percentage makes you a run first team
When you Pass, 60% of the time... you cannot be called a run first team.

The Steelers ran more under Arians, than under Haley
(16th 2011, 5th 2010, 20th 2009, 10th 2008, 5th 2007, 18th 2006)

The data goes back to 2003...

THE STEELERS RAN THE BALL LESS IN 2012 THAN THEY EVER DID IN ANY OF THE LAST TEN YEARS

When Lord... when will these clowns look at some data?

USMC607
01-18-2013, 06:22 PM
yea, because being 21st in the NFL in Rushing Play percentage makes you a run first team
When you Pass, 60% of the time... you cannot be called a run first team.

The Steelers ran more under Arians, than under Haley
(16th 2011, 5th 2010, 20th 2009, 10th 2008, 5th 2007, 18th 2006)

The data goes back to 2003...

THE STEELERS RAN THE BALL LESS IN 2012 THAN THEY EVER DID IN ANY OF THE LAST TEN YEARS

When Lord... when will these clowns look at some data?

I must admit i didn't look at the stats. I just took his word for the sake of conversation. But if thats the case then my point stands that this yrs problems on offense cant fall on Haley alone... which alot of people seem to be doing.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-18-2013, 06:41 PM
I must admit i didn't look at the stats. I just took his word for the sake of conversation. But if thats the case then my point stands that this yrs problems on offense cant fall on Haley alone... which alot of people seem to be doing.

the problems on offense aren't on Haley at all.

Problem #1 - Franchise QB gets injured, misses 3.5 games
Problem #2 - Franchise QB returns from Rib and Shoulder injuries and clearly doesn't have consistency of arm strength (both initially in return, and specifically late in games.
Problem #3 - Young Oline, Injured Oline
Problem #4 - Franchise QB's 4th Quarter Magic became 4th Quarter choking (largely due to #1 and #2 late in the season IMO)
Problem #4 - Lack of Talent at RB
Problem #5 - WR drops/mistakes

Haley did a fine job. Before Ben was injured, he was in the conversation of league MVP. He was having his best all around year. Haley's offense is a good fit for Ben. I expect it to be even better next year (I expect them to add some talent through the draft WR and a sneaky free agent/trade move RB)

Goodfrom55
01-18-2013, 06:43 PM
the problems on offense aren't on Haley at all.

Problem #1 - Franchise QB gets injured, misses 3.5 games
Problem #2 - Franchise QB returns from Rib and Shoulder injuries and clearly doesn't have consistency of arm strength (both initially in return, and specifically late in games.
Problem #4 - Franchise QB's 4th Quarter Magic became 4th Quarter choking (largely due to #1 and #2 late in the season IMO)

Haley did a fine job. Before Ben was injured, he was in the conversation of league MVP. He was having his best all around year. Haley's offense is a good fit for Ben. I expect it to be even better next year (I expect them to add some talent through the draft WR and a sneaky free agent/trade move RB)

THIS! Well said.

Crash
01-18-2013, 07:45 PM

Bull crap.

Just like last season. Where did we rank in rushing in 2011 with Arians?

And the 4th quarter defense blowing leads again? Ben had three 4th quarter comebacks this season to go along with the ones he didn't. When you worry more about time of possession, and not scoring points? This is what happens when every game is played close to the vest.

The play-calling in Dallas and in Cincy was a joke. If Arians is the OC? We win both of those games. EASILY.

Then why are we running on 18 of 27 1st down plays against the Bengals in Pittsburgh? COACHING.

And yet with the season on the line in Dallas and Cincy, Plaxico Burress is inactive, and Todd Haley's boy Leonard "field goal team" Pope isn't. Again, COACHING.

Haley's offense is a good fit for Ben.

No it isn't. It sets him up to get crunched.

And it did.

They talk about correcting problems and as an organization but they don't even know what the problems are.

Crash
01-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Oh btw, Arians left Indy, so what did the Colts do?

They hired Luck's college OC to replace him. Just like when Denver hired Jim Fassel as OC in 1993 when Dan Reeves was fired, Fassel was Elway's QB coach at Stanford and they ran the Stanford 1979-1982 offense for Elway in 1993-1994.

They get it.

While the HOF-er in Pittsburgh gets treated like garbage and handed a golf coach.

Ibleedblk&gld
01-18-2013, 07:50 PM
I don't understand how there is this much of an argument between an OC that was here for years, vs. an OC that was here for 1...give the man another year to see how things pan out...kinda hard to come in with a new system and new verbage, and expect to be an elite/dominating offense...

Crash
01-18-2013, 08:08 PM
The way they play hurts them.

Slow, plodding, deliberate, snail paced, dink and dunk.

And for what reason? To rest our freaking defense that makes double the money on their side of the ball than the offense makes.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-19-2013, 12:44 AM
Bull crap.

It's not surprising that you can't recognize the little things.

Remember that Cinci drive you always refer to, the one that starts with an INC Screen pass to brown, and then Mendy ripped off an 11 yard run. But the drive stalled after 2 more runs and a Big Ben scramble on 3rd that led to a missed LONG 53 yard FG... I know you remember that drive because you focus on the 2nd and 3rd run... but not on the INC and Long Run. Anyways, when Ben shorted that first pass, that INC pass... what did you attribute it to? I mean, no NFL QB shorts that pass (and it wasn't the first time he shorted that pass since returning from injury).

That throw highlights the SC injury and the busted rib, as it is a quick, jerk motion throw.

Just like last season. Where did we rank in rushing in 2011 with Arians?

you mean when we had a healthy Rashard Mendenhall and only 1 rookie played (gilbert). are you always this clownish?

And the 4th quarter defense blowing leads again? Ben had three 4th quarter comebacks this season to go along with the ones he didn't. When you worry more about time of possession, and not scoring points? This is what happens when every game is played close to the vest.

your inability to be critical of the most important player on the team continues to blind you
you have to pivot everytime the QB performance in critical games is raised. the defense didn't throw those pick 6's this year. time of possession had nothing to do with those sacks at critical moments. Ben lost the Cinci and Dallas games, as much as he won super bowl XLIII.

The play-calling in Dallas and in Cincy was a joke. If Arians is the OC? We win both of those games. EASILY.

There were 12 offensive series in the Dallas game, and they only called running plays on 1st and 2nd down consecutively... twice.

The Cinci game was completely and totally lost by Roethlisberger. His mistakes account for 10 of the 13 points against, including the game ending turnover.

Then why are we running on 18 of 27 1st down plays against the Bengals in Pittsburgh? COACHING.

pretty good coaching in a close game, in which the opponents offense never demonstrated an offensive ability and your QB was playing with a bum shoulder that will take a large portion of the offseason to rehab completely.

Ben had his WORST game of the season against Cinci... place some blame where it belongs homer.

ps we ran 18 of 28 times on first down against Cinci in the 1st matchup... and won... but our QB didn't suck in that game.

And yet with the season on the line in Dallas and Cincy, Plaxico Burress is inactive, and Todd Haley's boy Leonard "field goal team" Pope isn't. Again, COACHING.

do you ever get bored of saying the same thing... over and over again?

Bad coaching is using a running approach against teams that struggle against the run, but are good against the pass??? Bad coaching is dressing a depth blocker against teams that pressure the QB??? Clearly, dressing the WR who NO ONE WANTED for 10 weeks, is what the smart coaches would do... since you know, none of those coaches even wanted the guy.

No it isn't. It sets him up to get crunched.

And it did.

Your claim is that we run the ball too much, and use a "dink and dunk" offense.... and that somehow sets the QB up to "Get crunched"? do you feel dumb when you re-read your posts?

They talk about correcting problems and as an organization but they don't even know what the problems are.

:rolleyes:

Crash
01-19-2013, 01:20 AM
That throw highlights the SC injury and the busted rib, as it is a quick, jerk motion throw.

I don't believe that, but if you do can you explain why Haley constantly ran WR screens when Ben returned then?

you mean when we had a healthy Rashard Mendenhall and only 1 rookie played (gilbert). are you always this clownish?

No Mendenhall wasn't healthy in 2011, he battled nagging injuries all year and missed the playoff game in Denver when he blew out his knee.

How many games did Pouncey miss in 2011? He missed three full games and left two others hurt. Colon made it through less than one game in 2011 before he was done as well.

Do you even watch or do you just read box scores?

The Cinci game was completely and totally lost by Roethlisberger.

Of course it was, always is when they lose. **** play-calling? No matter.

Steelers win as a team, and lose as a QB.

Bad coaching is using a running approach against teams that struggle against the run, but are good against the pass??? Bad coaching is dressing a depth blocker against teams that pressure the QB???

Nice excuse, but guess what? Pope didn't see 5 snaps the entire game on offense in Cincy II. So why is he dressing when Brown was battling ankle problems and Sanders had a broken rib?

Your claim is that we run the ball too much, and use a "dink and dunk" offense.... and that somehow sets the QB up to "Get crunched"? do you feel dumb when you re-read your posts?

Trying to force the run and then expecting Ben to bail them out on 3rd down all year was a disaster waiting to happen.

And it did.

The Steelers have a choice to make: They can either use Ben, and use these WRs (if they VALUE Ben they'll keep Wallace), or, you load up on solid running backs and send Ben and his $20 mil cap hit to Arizona.

steelchamp204
01-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Crash,

Arians has moved on, If your that upset with Todd Haley, tuff ****. You can not compare a body of work that Arians had here to Haley's first season. Noone was complaining until Ben got hurt and lost his strength a little and had a couple choke jobs at the end of the season. Haley doesnt throw/run/pass block/get injured etc. If you are so pissed off Arians is gone or Haley's inability to call plays, there are also other teams you can root for in the Nfl.

Right now, no matter if you like him or not, you have to support him and believe that he will be better next season. The ballwashing of Arians that you do all the time is getting pretty old and tiring. Since you "know" someone that works for the organization, why dont you have him schedule you an appointment to talk to Rooney about his philosophy is doomed to fail for now on, even though the team just came off of two 12-4 seasons until this past season.

Crash
01-19-2013, 03:09 AM
You can not compare a body of work that Arians had here to Haley's first season. Noone was complaining until Ben got hurt and lost his strength a little and had a couple choke jobs at the end of the season.

Don't speak for me.

Hated this offense all year. And stated so on various outlets.

Right now, no matter if you like him or not, you have to support him and believe that he will be better next season.

What do you base this on? Crystal ball? Cards? Fortune teller? If Haley is only following Art's orders nothing will change.

The ballwashing of Arians that you do all the time is getting pretty old and tiring.

Actually if you can read I stated that BOTH Arians and LeBeau should have been let go. That it was unfair to pigeon hole Arians because LeBeau's defense can't hold 4th quarter leads.

Arians left, and what happened? Six blown 4th quarter leads (Four losses).

When does LeBeau's problem become LeBeau's responsibility?

Since you "know" someone that works for the organization, why dont you have him schedule you an appointment to talk to Rooney about his philosophy is doomed to fail for now on, even though the team just came off of two 12-4 seasons until this past season.

Back to back 12 win seasons. A HOF QB in his prime, young wides who are learning the system and two of them were entering their crucial third seasons.

Which makes firing Arians but keeping LeBeau all the more wrong.

Brown and Sanders went back to square one, and for what?

To try and rest our precious defense while ignoring their biggest weakness.

TarlsQtr
01-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Since you "know" someone that works for the organization, why dont you have him schedule you an appointment to talk to Rooney about his philosophy is doomed to fail for now on, even though the team just came off of two 12-4 seasons until this past season.

I suspect the person he "knows" in the organization is Manti T' eo's dead girlfriend. Either that, or one of the people who scrapes the $hit off of the bathroom floor after a game at Heinz.