PDA

View Full Version : Manti T'eo Girlfriend Hoax

Nolrog
01-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Stories breaking that T'eo fabricated the story about his girlfriend dying and him getting inspiration from her, with the letters and stories and stuff. Strong rumors he made the whole thing up as a publicity stunt.

If that's true, then he's not the character guy we thought. Would affect his draft status I think,and maybe even cause the Steelers to drop him from their draft board entirely.

K Train
01-16-2013, 05:26 PM
i doubt it...i read the story, sounds fishy....people are too caught up in sandy hook conspiracy theyll believe anything.

and if its true, who gives a ****

Nolrog
01-16-2013, 05:29 PM
i doubt it...i read the story, sounds fishy....people are too caught up in sandy hook conspiracy theyll believe anything.

This is a guy who was supposed to have impeccable character. If it's true, it's a huge black eye for that. Hell, they were having fundraisers for her at ND (allegedly).

LatrobePA
01-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Lets see how it all plays out before we start slamming the kid...

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax

The boy is a lier. Straight up. Just like he's supposed "skill" was a lier when he went up against comparable talent. :rolleyes:

Cricker24
01-16-2013, 07:20 PM
It's liar NOT lier....and let's wait until all the facts are out before we call him names. If he truly was hoaxed, don't you think that had something to do with his performance against Alabama? I'm not saying Alabama wouldn't have won convincingly either way, but I watched every Notre Dame game this year and Manti didn't even emotionally look like the same person. Regardless of the outcome, this is very sad.

Chris :tt02:

Rhyno
01-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Lets see how it all plays out before we start slamming the kid...

Seriously. I have not heard a single report that he fabricated anything (Possible he did). Have others heard this, or they just making stuff up/hearing what they want to? People with nothing better to do than hate on a kid.

LatrobePA
01-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Seriously. I have not heard a single report that he fabricated anything (Possible he did). Have others heard this, or they just making stuff up/hearing what they want to? People with nothing better to do than hate on a kid.

There's people out here that hate him for no reason so sure they'll jump on this! Silly really!!!

Rhyno
01-16-2013, 07:56 PM

If it is true that he was swindled, then it is sad that people would sink so low. If it is true that he fabricated the story, then he has zero credibility. He does not seem like the kind of kid that would make it up.

K Train
01-16-2013, 08:01 PM
apparently he got catfished

LatrobePA
01-16-2013, 08:07 PM
apparently he got catfished

Wtf is this catfish??

Rhyno
01-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Wtf is this catfish??

SPOILER ALERT:

It is a movie about a guy who has the same thing happen to him. Online "girlfriend" turns out to be just a hoax. Surely the inspiration for this situation. However, I do think parts of the movie were made-up. This seems like the real deal. I liked the movie a lot.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2013, 08:25 PM
funny how quickly the haters jumped on this...

if it was true, he would be off my draft board

coldrolled
01-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Ogletree

SteelerCountry58
01-16-2013, 09:29 PM
What the hell is wrong with today's society? I feel like I live in a fockin bizarro
world of reality t.v. and I'm constantly barraged with PC and deceitful lies and b.s.!
I like Te'o but who the fock has a "gilfriend" online and spills their inner problems to?? WTF?
This whole story has weird twists and b.s. It'll make your head spin. Make it stop! LOL:bonk:
I'd still take this loopy a hole with the 17 pick though. Hahaa. As The World Turns......:hilarious:

LatrobePA
01-16-2013, 09:43 PM
SPOILER ALERT:

It is a movie about a guy who has the same thing happen to him. Online "girlfriend" turns out to be just a hoax. Surely the inspiration for this situation. However, I do think parts of the movie were made-up. This seems like the real deal. I liked the movie a lot.

Thanks, I'm old! lol

LatrobePA
01-16-2013, 09:44 PM
funny how quickly the haters jumped on this...

if it was true, he would be off my draft board

Ditto!

Rhyno
01-16-2013, 10:45 PM
This story is crazy. Don't want to crucify him before all of the facts come out, but the story is fishy. Thinking he may have made the story up to hide something. Unbelievable if he made it up just for the hype.

Here is a link to the story from Deadspin (Apparently they broke it). Long story short: they think he made it up.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

Big T
01-16-2013, 11:17 PM
And it gets weirder...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/reagan-mauia-says-lennay-kekua-is-real/

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
And it gets weirder...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/reagan-mauia-says-lennay-kekua-is-real/

i read this... immediately after i finished digesting the deadspin article

what is going on.... lol

LatrobePA
01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Some crazy sheeeeeite!

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2013, 11:44 PM
cool... i found a steelers tie in. apparently reagan maui met this kekua girl when on a trip to somoa with... TROY POLAMALU

TROY IS KEKUA, KEKUA IS TROY!!!!!!

Rhyno
01-16-2013, 11:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAxy0T0CUAElRFL.jpg

jdehoff83
01-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Listening to sirius radio alot of callers think he might be gay and tried to cover it by a fake gf... interesting angle

Crash
01-17-2013, 12:51 AM
This is nuts. ND says he was hoaxed, but this article (which is now removed) has his brother quoted as saying he met her.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Gsq3BkqY4-oJ:articles.southbendtribune.com/2012-10-12/sports/34419536_1_brian-and-ottilia-manti-te-o-irish-head-coach+brian-and-ottilia-manti-te&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

A Cards player says he met her during the Polamalu trip to Samoa.

Big T
01-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Gay or straight, catfished, or whatever it may be... I still want him on this team lol.

jdehoff83
01-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Gay or straight, catfished, or whatever it may be... I still want him on this team lol.
I dunno man bama made him look silly out there. Maybe he had an off day but the nfl is a high level every game. Will he fold when u need him most?

jdehoff83
01-17-2013, 01:21 AM
I had to lol when i read that people were taking pics of themselves with invisible gfs and deeming it te'oing bahahaha

BRICKTOWN BEAST
01-17-2013, 02:14 AM
These articles could also be bullshit and manipulated. Is this women who claimed to be the real face credible? His girlfriend also used that as her professional name thats why technically that name isn't in the records. Te'o could be really embarassed to be in a love with an online girlfriend so he stretched the truth... doesn't mean he can't feel love or heartbreak over it. Some people spread lies and make conspiracy theories to be cool and get noticed on reddit. Roswell was a conspiracy. This is some kid making **** up about a linebacker who didn't want to admit the girlfriend he loved he was online. It's so easy nowadays to make a conspiracy because nobody is going to look into it they're gonna believe what they read and a lot of it is false information. I hope he kicks *** in the NFL while these jerk-offs have boring lives and constantly look back on how awesome it was to get a million reads on a fake article which means nothing...

Crash
01-17-2013, 02:27 AM
Um, Mantai HIMSELF has mentioned in interviews that he met her.

Something is wrong here. He's either mental or he did something very bad and is trying to cover it up.

Nolrog
01-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Um, Mantai HIMSELF has mentioned in interviews that he met her.

Something is wrong here. He's either mental or he did something very bad and is trying to cover it up.

Someone in the story (perhaps a relative) said he was 80% sure Te'o was involved. However, Te'o did go to the coach and say he was a victim of a hoax.

I don't think the whole story has played out yet. But it's relevant for us because this is a guy who many people (including myself) hoped they would draft.

strummerfan
01-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Someone in the story (perhaps a relative) said he was 80% sure Te'o was involved. However, Te'o did go to the coach and say he was a victim of a hoax.

I don't think the whole story has played out yet. But it's relevant for us because this is a guy who many people (including myself) hoped they would draft.

How can he be a victim? He actively played a part in the hoax by claiming to have met her and speaking on the phone with her every night while in the hospital?

LatrobePA
01-17-2013, 09:12 AM
How can he be a victim? He actively played a part in the hoax by claiming to have met her and speaking on the phone with her every night while in the hospital?

The university now put their neck on the line for this kid. A lot at stake right now, lets see how it all plays out!

Nolrog
01-17-2013, 09:20 AM

Who's to say he didn't meet someone? If the person went through this much trouble, they could easily have a friend pose as her and meet him. That being said, I remain skeptical, and hopeful that this is not true.

Either this is an all time hoax portrayed on T'eo or an all time hoax portrayed by T'eo. Either way, I'm sure this will get crazier before it ends.

USMC607
01-17-2013, 10:24 AM
What a got from the article i read was that it was some dude in cali who had met Te'O and the supposed girl but neither at the same time, or something like that.

It is a strange situation. Im not sure whats going on. But the fact that he came to school officials saying that he believed to be part of a hoax makes me think he really got played for a fool.

Alot of people (myself included) dont understand how you can meet an online GF and fall that much for them without every meeting them but that is how younger kids do it now-a-days. Our face to face social skills are deteriorating.

I knew this kid in college that had met a GF online and they would Instant Message and Txt each other all the time about how they loved each other and what they would do when they met. So one day they decided shed come to our college for a party, and once she got there both of them were so awkward and acted like they were scared or embarrassed to talk to one another.

Then after she left the next day they went right back to talking online constantly... The younger generations are too technology dependent. The days of going out and finding guys/girls to date in person, and building your social skills?

TarlsQtr
01-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Manti T'eo, alumni of NoSuch Dame (h/t commenter at the end of the article).

Interesting story. It seems that either he is wildly dishonest and knew about it or he is as gullible as they come. Neither is a great personality trait.

Perhaps Real Deal Steel is right and T'eo is a "fraud", just not in the way he thought.

USMC607
01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Either way i will save my final judgement until we learn the whole truth, but as of right now i just think the kid got cat-fished and i feel sorry for him and it does not deter me from still wanting to snag him if he falls to 17.

But if it comes out that he was involved just to get national media attention to get people to feel sorry for him, then thats deff not the type of person we want on this team given our off the field issues already.

But from his emotions and the way he acted if it was fake and he was in on it the kid deserves an acadmey award cause he really put on a believable show.

TarlsQtr
01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
It is a strange situation. Im not sure whats going on. But the fact that he came to school officials saying that he believed to be part of a hoax makes me think he really got played for a fool.

Perhaps, but it is also possible that he did not go to the school officials until he knew the story was going to blow up and he wanted to get out in front of it. I am not saying this is the case, only that it is possible.

I would also have to wonder why he stated that he had met her in Hawaii, he spent all night on the phone with her, etc., if he was not in on the hoax. It is possible that he was trying to avoid the stigma of online relationships and made up these stories about a women he felt was real in order to justify his "love" for her but a lot of questions remain.

Without further information I would not draft the kid, especially in the first round. Maybe in the late rounds where there is little risk (like Vontaze Burfict, who went undrafted) but that is it. There are situations where he could come out as truly a victim but there are just too many questions to risk a needed pick on him.

TarlsQtr
01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Either way i will save my final judgement until we learn the whole truth, but as of right now i just think the kid got cat-fished and i feel sorry for him and it does not deter me from still wanting to snag him if he falls to 17.

But if it comes out that he was involved just to get national media attention to get people to feel sorry for him, then thats deff not the type of person we want on this team given our off the field issues already.

But from his emotions and the way he acted if it was fake and he was in on it the kid deserves an acadmey award cause he really put on a believable show.

I agree, final judgment must be held until the full story comes out and I expect it eventually will. If it does not come out before the draft though, it is a big flashing caution light for me...

USMC607
01-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Perhaps, but it is also possible that he did not go to the school officials until he knew the story was going to blow up and he wanted to get out in front of it. I am not saying this is the case, only that it is possible.

I would also have to wonder why he stated that he had met her in Hawaii, he spent all night on the phone with her, etc., if he was not in on the hoax. It is possible that he was trying to avoid the stigma of online relationships and made up these stories about a women he felt was real in order to justify his "love" for her but a lot of questions remain.

I mean ive seen the stories of people talking to the people on the phone, just to find out there was multiple people in on the hoax and just had a random female talking to him. Which made him think he was talking to HER.

But your theory deff has traction. He could easily have started to see the foundation for this lie start to crumble and went to college officials just to get a jump on the situation to make it seem like he was concerned he was being played for a fool before anyone called him out on it first. Pretty much saving face.

But like we all know lies and always found out. And covering up a lie with another lie with another lie at the end it always eventually breaks down and the truth comes out because after a while **** just doesnt make sense, or they say something that contradicts what they previously said, or they back track and say oh well i said that but i meant this.

In the end the truth comes out. It always does. I just hope for his sake he is telling the truth or he just screwed himself.

USMC607
01-17-2013, 10:49 AM

I mean ive seen the stories of people talking to the people on the phone, just to find out there was multiple people in on the hoax and just had a random female talking to him. Which made him think he was talking to HER.

But your theory deff has traction. He could easily have started to see the foundation for this lie start to crumble and went to college officials just to get a jump on the situation to make it seem like he was concerned he was being played for a fool before anyone called him out on it first. Pretty much saving face.

But like we all know lies and always found out. And covering up a lie with another lie with another lie at the end it always eventually breaks down and the truth comes out because after a while **** just doesnt make sense, or they say something that contradicts what they previously said, or they back track and say oh well i said that but i meant this.

In the end the truth comes out. It always does. I just hope for his sake he is telling the truth or he just screwed himself.

TarlsQtr
01-17-2013, 11:00 AM

I agree 100%, especially about the truth coming out. The center of this story is Tuiasasopo. He is going down in this and I guarantee will not go down alone if T'eo was in on it with him. Imagine being this humiliated schlub while T'eo is making millions in the NFL and being revered? If T'eo is involved, the guy will sing like a bird.

steelchamp204
01-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I dont want this guy anymore, might sound crazy. But, this organization doesnt need drama following it around again.

Big T
01-17-2013, 03:57 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/report-teo-had-planned-to-go-public-on-monday/

Big T
01-17-2013, 04:38 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/report-teo-loved-the-attention-and-teammates-were-suspicious/

Big T
01-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Dude needs to start talking. Too much speculation.

Clevelandsux
01-17-2013, 05:52 PM
I've been catfished by people I've met on the internet. People not being who or what they said they were. But not to this extreme. Girls putting a picture up, and it ends up being 10 years old. Or being 50pounds heavier than they said they were. Etc.

coldrolled
01-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Conspiracy Theory.. The Harbaugh brothers or Belicheat talked him into fabricating a story to drop him to the 30's

Why play for a non playoff team...

If not then the bengals will put him in the lineup next to burfict...

We'll stick with Sylvester...

Big T
01-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Conspiracy Theory.. The Harbaugh brothers or Belicheat talked him into fabricating a story to drop him to the 30's

Ya, I guess 2 All-Pro MLBs aren't enough in San Fran...

LatrobePA
01-17-2013, 08:33 PM

And Foote... Championship!

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-18-2013, 12:05 AM
Typical modern player. Punk *** b. Someone will take him cause it's the NFL. He didn't kill no one, didn't rape any little kiddies, probably didn't kill dogs either. Looks pretty clean to me.

LatrobePA
01-18-2013, 08:44 AM
It's coming out now from teammates and friends from on campus that he knew the story was fake but kept going with it because it was a good story! Maybe he's a fraud?? But you can't deny his talent and what he could bring!

TarlsQtr
01-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Yeah, an article here.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21570427/teo-discussed-fake-girlfriend-after-he-allegedly-discovered-hoax

The more I think about it, the more I begin to think this is a situation that just snowballed. He may have originally been a victim of a hoax but found out fairly early in the process. In order to save face (admitting that the girl you have "loved" does not exist would be pretty humiliating), he may have continued the lie and it got completely out of hand.

If that is the case, it would make him no worse than a million other naive 21 year old kids.

Big T
01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
With linebacker Manti Te’o avoiding the media, others are filling the vacuum of silence.

One of them is Te’o's uncle. Alema Te’o joined 97.5 The Zone in Salt Lake City on Thursday to discuss the situation for more than 30 minutes. And it quickly became clear that the Te’o family blames the hoax entirely on Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the alleged mastermind of the fake dead girlfriend (and failed contestant on The Voice).

Alema Te’o believes that the plan was so elaborate that Tuiasosopo actually had a girl pretend to be Lennay Kekua and periodically meet with Manti. “I wouldn’t put it past this guy to do that,” Alema Te’o said.

Manti’s uncle also explained that he had immediate suspicions about Tuiasosopo after meeting him during the 2012 football season, based on false claims Tuiasosopo made of involvement in Troy Polamalu’s football camp. Alema Te’o specifically suspects that Tuiasosopo’s motivation was financial, apparently via raising funds for cancer-stricken folks who, you know, don’t exist.

The interview is long and at times a little hard to follow, but it’s clear after listening to the whole thing that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo is the target of the Te’o family’s scorn at this point, and that Alema Te’o specifically believes that Tuiasosopo was a “shady character” who was hoping to “get close to Manti for either money or notoriety.”

“His big deal was raising money.*So I can’t help but think that this guy wanted to get close to Manti to help him get money,” Alema Te’o said.

If that’s the case, then it’s entirely possible that laws were broken.*Which would give the authorities at least a reason to investigate the situation in order to find out whether Tuiasosopo or anyone else was involved in this hoax in the hopes of raising money under false pretenses.

Meanwhile, there’s still no indication that Manti Te’o will be addressing the situation, even though Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick painted Te’o into a corner on Wednesday by saying that Te’o would be telling his story as soon as Thursday. The longer Te’o stays silent, the more people will suspect that he had a role in the hoax.

Then again, there’s also a chance that by opening his mouth he will remove all doubt.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/teos-uncle-takes-aim-at-ronaiah-tuiasosopo/

Zachintosh66
01-18-2013, 11:19 AM
this **** is ridiculous... and the main stream media is just getting started... they are gonna run this kid through the ringer and we will prolly never know the "truth"

my personal opinion is this should in no way effect his draft stock... but after main stream media rides this for all its worth and reports a bunch of skeptical half truths like mainstream media does, im sure it will

Big T
01-18-2013, 11:29 AM
this **** is ridiculous... and the main stream media is just getting started... they are gonna run this kid through the ringer and we will prolly never know the "truth"

my personal opinion is this should in no way effect his draft stock... but after main stream media rides this for all its worth and reports a bunch of skeptical half truths like mainstream media does, im sure it will

Couldn't agree more.

USMC607
01-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Couldn't agree more.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8857057/friend-says-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-confessed-manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax

they are saying now that someone who knows Ronaiah Tuiasosopo said that him and his 2 cousins (1male, 1female) were the people who did it, and the Te'O wasn't involved at all..

Apparently it wasn't just Te'O neither they have been doing this to a number of people...

Still odd that even after he found out it was a hoax or at least he thought it was he kept it going with the media but i agree on the thought that he was completely embarrassed and didnt want people making fun of him and stuff so he tried keeping it behind closed doors... He should know that wont ever happen, and yes if that is the true story he is no different then the tons of 21 yr olds and younger that live their life and relationships via the Internet now-a-days..

About this Tuiasosopo guy and his cousins.... the **** is wrong with people now-a-days

He said it was about Ronaiah trying to raise money for illnesses.... Has the guy not ever heard of just asking for a donation or asking Te'O to become a Figure-Head of the benefit when he gets to the pros?

Zachintosh66
01-18-2013, 12:45 PM
maybe this tuiasosopo is a Steelers fan and wanted him to slip just enough to land in the B+G... #justsaying

USMC607
01-18-2013, 01:10 PM
maybe this tuiasosopo is a Steelers fan and wanted him to slip just enough to land in the B+G... #justsaying

Interesting you say that since Troy's name has been brought up... lol

The steelers are trying to drop his stock in order to get him... The conspiracy begins...

NeilPatrickBanana
01-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Hey, when is someone going to inform Reagan Mauia that he was fooled too.... lol

USMC607
01-18-2013, 02:48 PM
lol he's on the cardinals so he can continued to be fooled...

To think tho that this fake girl has become this well known that an NFL player said he knows her and met her is hilarious...

Its all the Samoans too odd...

Did Ta'Amu know her... Maybe thats why he got all **** faced and drove drunk on the southside he found out she was faked and he was in love with her too, so he went on a bender..

LatrobePA
01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
I think my wife of 15 years may be a catfish! How could I be so stupid! Dammit! lol

USMC607
01-18-2013, 02:57 PM
My entire family is one big group of Catfish.... How could i have not known!!!:banging:

LatrobePA
01-18-2013, 02:57 PM
My entire family is one big group of Catfish.... How could i have not known!!!:banging:

Lmao!

LatrobePA
01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
I "noodled" my wife in and now I can't get rid of her! lol

USMC607
01-18-2013, 03:08 PM
I "noodled" my wife in and now I can't get rid of her! lol

LMAO

K Train
01-18-2013, 06:09 PM
people care entirely too much about this...it has not affected my rankings at all, he is still a top ten prospect at MLB even if this is bizarre. He is a far superior prospect than AJ Hawk or Rolando Mcclain were and they went 4 and 6. Hes not as good as willis was, but who the hell is.

Teo>Mcclain/Kuechly/Hawk/Beason/Hightower/Rivers/Timmons/Simms/D. Jackson/Mayo and hes as versatile as any of them and more so than most.

Cant wait to see his work outs, i expect good numbers across the board

LatrobePA
01-18-2013, 07:31 PM
This will fuel him to have an outstanding showing right up to the draft!

USMC607
01-18-2013, 08:13 PM
people care entirely too much about this...it has not affected my rankings at all, he is still a top ten prospect at MLB even if this is bizarre. He is a far superior prospect than AJ Hawk or Rolando Mcclain were and they went 4 and 6. Hes not as good as willis was, but who the hell is.

Teo>Mcclain/Kuechly/Hawk/Beason/Hightower/Rivers/Timmons/Simms/D. Jackson/Mayo and hes as versatile as any of them and more so than most.

I completely agree with you, but i love that fact that people are blowing this out of proportion because that just improves the likely-hood that he is there when we pick, and then i hope our FO is smart enough to grab him...

And yes im sure this will fuel him to have a good proday / combine, but hopefully his average speed turns teams off too...

Crash
01-18-2013, 08:14 PM
This is crazy. The most bizarre story ever IMO. If she's fake, who did the guy on the Cardinals meet?

steelchamp204
01-18-2013, 08:18 PM
So it is ok that Teo said that he met this girl and she visited him in Hawaii, he craves attention.

Big T
01-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Completely agree. I'm actually kind of glad people are talking about him falling. Here's to him being there at 17...

K Train
01-18-2013, 08:31 PM
So it is ok that Teo said that he met this girl and she visited him in Hawaii, he craves attention.

hes a 5 star student athlete and about to be a first round pro one.....they all crave attention, its what theyve had the most of their whole lives.

Hes a good guy, its a bizarre story but attention hungry athletes have done much worse

Crowned
01-18-2013, 08:45 PM
I still very much want him inside alongside Timmons.

Big T
01-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Will this affect Manti Te’o’s status with Steelers?
January 17th, 2013

Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

With the Steelers in position because of need and draft slot to have a legitimate shot of taking Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o in the first round of April’s NFL Draft, the question has popped up if they would still be interested in Te’o in light of the recent ‘hoax’ involving the death of what turned out to be his fake internet girlfriend.

Truth of the matter is that it is way too early to make that determination.

However, as it sit right now, there is nothing that has come out (as of Jan. 17) that suggest that the ‘hoax’ should affect Te’o’s draft status.

If the kid can play, he can play, and that will be determined over the next few months at the Combine and at his Pro Day.

It would be irresponsible for any NFL organization to let this affect his draft position as we stand today.

If you are an NFL organization that tosses him off your draft board because he was ‘duped’ or may have not been 100 percent honest, then you are doing your organization a disservice.

Te’o did nothing illegal and nothing wrong, other than maybe have a lack of judgment and common sense. And seriously, if you feel like looking, I am sure you can come up with many 21-year-olds in this year’s draft that did something entailing a lack of judgment and common sense.

As for the Steelers, they will absolutely not eliminate Te’o from consideration because of this. Kevin Colbert will do his due diligence and the organization will investigate the issue for itself and make its own determination based on what they find and how their interview at the Combine goes.

But the bottom line is that if it is determined by the scouts and the organization that Te’o is a legitimate player and can help them, the Steelers would and should take him. Same goes with every other team in the league.

But again, this is all predicated on what we know now.

Tomorrow might bring something totally different.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/01/17/will-this-affect-manti-teos-status-with-steelers/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

USMC607
01-18-2013, 10:39 PM
hes a 5 star student athlete and about to be a first round pro one.....they all crave attention, its what theyve had the most of their whole lives.

Hes a good guy, its a bizarre story but attention hungry athletes have done much worse

Couldnt agree with this any more....

Besides he probably kept the story going because he was embarrassed and didnt want everyone finding out and making fun of him. He was trying to take care of everything behind closed doors which obviously never works... But he is like any other typic 21 yr old that makes dumb decisions. But there are a lot of prospects that have done a lot worse...

And like Crowned said i would love this guy besides Timmons on the field...

TarlsQtr
01-19-2013, 09:15 AM
A former Ravens coach who shall remain nameless because I cannot stand the sight of him said the other night that T' eo's stock will not drop much, if at all. I have come to agree. We all did stupid things at 21 but were not famous enough to have it splashed all over the media. Guys that have done much worse than T' eo will go in the first round.

Crash
01-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Yeah just what we need more picks on defense in a league that's phasing it out.

Defense in round one better be a pass rusher or a DB if they insist on picking for that side of the ball.

Nolrog
01-19-2013, 11:21 AM
There's only one thing that I'm 100% sure about. This is probably the most Fed up story I've heard in a long long time.

There are several things that don't add up. He supposedly found out it was a hoax on December 6th, but went on to talk about it in interviews on December 8th and December 10th. Te'o has to reconcile that discrepancy.

In 2012, when so many video chat options are available, he didn't once try to skype or facetime or even go to visit her? A girl he fell so in love with but never got to see face to face. I'm sorry, but I find that really hard to believe.

I don't know if he was involved or if he was a victim; the truth will absolutely come out, without question. Either way, though, Te'o comes out of this looking worse than before. Either he's a totally naive, gullable, easily fooled guy, or he's a master manipulator. I don't think either shows him in a positive light.

Reporters will keep digging, teams will keep asking and private investigators will be hired until they get the truth, bet on that.

TarlsQtr
01-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Yeah just what we need more picks on defense in a league that's phasing it out.

Defense in round one better be a pass rusher or a DB if they insist on picking for that side of the ball.

LOL You tell an NFL coach that they are "phasing out" defense and he would laugh in your face. Seventeen (53 percent) of the first round draft picks in 2012 were defensive players.

Seriously, you just make this $h!t up.

Big T
01-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Under the guise of a “get,” ESPN’s Jeremy Schaap has been enlisted as an unofficial P.R. agent for linebacker Manti Te’o. And Schaap spent extensive time on SportsCenter presenting Te’o's side of the story, serving as the indirect mouthpiece for a man who claims no involvement in a hoax but who after months of talking freely and loosely on camera suddenly has no desire to do so.

Schaap opened his extensive on-air monologue by vouching for Te’o's credibility.

“He answered every question I asked,” Schaap said. “He didn’t seem nervous. He seemed to be able to communicate clearly about everything that had happened over the course of several years in his relationship with Lennay Kekua. To my ears, he made a very convincing witness in his own defense. I’m sure people will form their own judgments when we have a chance to put out more of what he said. I don’t know how many questions were asked, but as I said he answered all of them, really unflinchingly. If he’s making up his side of the story, he’s a very convincing actor. Of course, there were suggestions over the last couple of days — more than suggestions, theories posited — about whether he was a party to this hoax, if he just helped perpetuate this hoax. He adamantly denies having anything to do with it, and I asked him directly about that.”

After Schaap explained the situation for roughly 10 minutes, he was asked about Te’o's demeanor.

“He was very composed, he was very collected,” Schaap said. “There wasn’t any hemming or hawing. He certainly seemed to have his timeline down straight. I did not detect any inconsistencies. And I think, you know, significantly from his point of view anyway, when it was over he was relieved. He said he was very relieved to have unburdened himself of this."

Schaap vouched for Te’o's credibility once again in explaining why Te’o didn’t want to do the interview on camera.

“Obviously we would have preferred to do this on camera,” Schaap said. “He felt more comfortable in a setting without cameras, felt he could be more relaxed without a lot of people in the room. Wanted this to be as natural a setting as possible. I think it would have been beneficial to him to do this on camera because as I said he was very composed and collected but that’s not what he wanted to do. It’s not the first time somebody hasn’t wanted to do an interview on camera.”

Schaap is right, but it’s the first time the otherwise camera-eager Te’o has spurned a camera. And so instead of giving the audience at large an opportunity to watch him explain himself, the conduit to Te’o's overall credibility is the guy who was granted an interview that Te’o didn’t have to give at all. That fact naturally will make the interviewer — whoever it is — more inclined to paint the subject of the interview in a positive light.

Indeed, a questioner less friendly to Te’o's predicament could have led the report with this statement: “Te’o admitted that he never met the fake dead girlfriend, and that he lied to his family about meeting her.” Choosing to focus on that aspect of the interview at the outset of the report would have prompted many to instantly wonder whether, if he lied to his family about meeting her, he’s lying to the rest of us about his lack of involvement in the hoax.

“I knew that — I even knew, that it was crazy that I was with somebody that I didn’t meet, and that alone — people find out that this girl who died, I was so invested in, I didn’t meet her, as well,” Te’o told Schaap. “So I kind of tailored my stories to have people think that, yeah, he met her before she passed away, so that people wouldn’t think that I was some crazy dude.”

In a court of law, having someone admit to a lie is powerful, because it gives the lawyer more than enough ammunition to argue that everything the person says shouldn’t be taken at face value, and possibly shouldn’t be believed at all.

And while Schaap claimed he detected no inconsistencies, Schaap’s explanation of Te’o's ongoing references in the media to his dead girlfriend after learning that she wasn’t dead speaks to a stew of potential inconsistencies that, if fully and completely probed, could expose a flaw that would be fatal to Te’o's entire story.

“[Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick] said that on December 6, Te’o got a phone call from a person who he believed to be Lennay Kekua, who he thought had died on September 12,” Schaap explained. “Te’o says he did get that phone call on December 6, but that did not convince him that this had all been a hoax. That took longer to get around to. But between December 6 and December 26, when he went to Notre Dame to tell them about the problem, he continued to talk about Lennay Kekua, his girlfiend, in several interviews, including an interview with our Chris Fowler during the Heisman Trophy presentation on December 8th. And [Te'o] explained why that happened, because he said he wasn’t convinced that Lennay Kekua hadn’t died, that she was a hoax, now he was thinking maybe she was alive. She had given him some story about drug dealers.”

So why did he keep referring to her as being dead?

There are more tidbits that appeared not in Schaap’s on-air report (or in the original ESPN.com story that contained only 32 words from Te’o regarding his denial of involvement) that make us wonder how Te’o could have been oblivious to the existence of a hoax, which based on his admission that he lied to his father would cause a reasonable person to wonder whether he’s lying to the rest of us now.

First, the latest ESPN.com article says that “T’eo tried to speak with Kekua via Skype and FaceTime on several occasions, but the person at the other end of the line was in what he called a ‘black box’ and wasn’t seen.” Second, the ESPN.com article says that Te’o “planned to meet Kekua in person several times, including in Los Angeles and Hawaii, but on each occasion she called off the meeting or sent others in her place.” Third, the ESPN.com article explains that “Kekua once requested his checking account number in order to send him money,” but that “Te’o did not provide his account number.” Fourth, the ESPN.com article says that Te’o didn’t go see her in the hospital when she was recovering from a car accident or battling leukemia because “it never crossed my mind” to do so. Fifth, the ESPN.com article says that Te’o didn’t attend Kekua’s funeral because “her mom didn’t want me to come."

Perhaps the strangest question arises from Te’o's claim to Schaap that, as explained by Schaap on air, “[r]ight up until a few hours before the Deadspin story broke two days ago [Te'o] wasn’t quite sure what happened but at that time he got a phone call from Ronaiah Tuiasospo in which he admitted that he had perpetrated this hoax and in a series of communications also apologized for it.” The notion that Te’o "wasn’t quite sure what happened” until “a few hours before” the story broke doesn’t mesh with the very clear picture painted Wednesday night by Swarbrick of extensive meetings and a private investigation with a comprehensive report, or with the reported plan by Te’o to go public with the hoax two days before the story broke.

The only conclusion that we draw from any of this is that it’s still too early to draw any conclusions. Te’o's uncle has raised a potential financial incentive via raising funds for leukemia victims hasn’t been explored and wasn’t even mentioned anywhere in the on-air or online ESPN reports.

If Tuiasosopo used the fake dead girlfriend as a way to raise money, with or without the knowledge or assistance of Te’o, the appropriate authorities should look into the situation. Indeed, the request for checking account numbers could be enough to green light a criminal investigation. A high-profile case like this one would, if any laws were broken, send a strong message of deterrence to anyone who is tempted to “catfish” not for sport, but for profit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/19/schaap-tells-teos-story-who-admits-he-never-met-fake-dead-girlfriend/

USMC607
01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Im so tired of this story already.... Nothing makes sense...

The media needs to drop it until the end... Constantly saying there are new updates when there is not is really annoying....

Get back to us when there is a solid yes or no answer to whether he was involved or not.

Until then I'd still draft the kid if he falls to 17...

Real Deal Steel
01-31-2013, 05:06 PM
You guys can have Teo. I never wanted to see the movie, " Broke Back Mountain" but Teo has made the whole nation watch it now. I don't want this type of stuff on my team.

DIESELMAN
01-31-2013, 05:29 PM
This Tuiasosopo guy who was the voice of Kekua was on Dr. Phil and said he did it because he was in love with Manti. :popcorn:

Real Deal Steel
01-31-2013, 06:56 PM
And Teo loved him too. That's why he worked so hard to hide this fiasco. No more Kordell Stewart's on this team again. I don't want to revisit that crap again.

coldrolled
01-31-2013, 07:03 PM
And Teo loved him too. That's why he worked so hard to hide this fiasco. No more Kordell Stewart's on this team again. I don't want to revisit that crap again.

San Fran will get him at #32

Real Deal Steel
01-31-2013, 08:36 PM
Good. He'll be there for them. Match made in heaven.

Big T
01-31-2013, 09:17 PM
San Fran will get him at #32

Ya because they'll surely waste a 1st round pick on a MLB. A position on that team that consists of not one, but 2 All-Pro MLBs. Te'o certainly won't make it past Chicago/Cincy and there's no chance in hell that he'll fall past the Ravens. And of the Steelers are smart, he won't fall any further than 17.

This **** was blown so astronomically out of proportion and the media made way too big a deal of it. After the combine and the interview process, it'll all slow down and he won't make it out of the 1st. It really is ridiculous how big the media made this out to be. Dude was naive. **** happens. He can still ball and he's still a leader.

Nolrog
02-01-2013, 06:48 AM
So this story has played out a bit now. I'm fairly certain that Te'o was an innocent victim to this hoax. This was a hoax carried out by one of his "friends"? What a douchebag.

I would have no problem if the Steelers took him at 17 (although, I do think bigger needs lie elsewhere.)

LatrobePA
02-01-2013, 08:25 AM
I think him and the dude that pretended to be a chick will hook up! Write it down!!

coldrolled
02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Ya because they'll surely waste a 1st round pick on a MLB. A position on that team that consists of not one, but 2 All-Pro MLBs. Te'o certainly won't make it past Chicago/Cincy and there's no chance in hell that he'll fall past the Ravens. And of the Steelers are smart, he won't fall any further than 17.

This **** was blown so astronomically out of proportion and the media made way too big a deal of it. After the combine and the interview process, it'll all slow down and he won't make it out of the 1st. It really is ridiculous how big the media made this out to be. Dude was naive. **** happens. He can still ball and he's still a leader.

I wasnt serious... He is one tough a$$$ Gay Dude... He may go top 10..

LatrobePA
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
I wasnt serious... He is one tough a$$$ Gay Dude... He may go top 10..

LMFAO!

Real Deal Steel
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
As long as he doesn't end up here, I could care less.

coldrolled
02-01-2013, 01:23 PM
As long as he doesn't end up here, I could care less.

What if Rooney starts a new Rooney Rule?? Teo at #17

Real Deal Steel
02-01-2013, 02:15 PM
What if Rooney starts a new Rooney Rule?? Teo at #17

Then he might as well change the name from the Pittsburgh Steelers to the Pittsburgh Peanut Butter Packers. gzzzz :rolleyes:

SnakeEyes43
02-01-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't care about the "Hoax", I would love to see Teo in black and gold next year.

connecticutsteel
02-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Thank god someone sees this for what it is it was acatfish situation happens everyday t'eo is not gay and i would take him in asecond

LatrobePA
02-01-2013, 04:31 PM
I don't care about the "Hoax", I would love to see Teo in black and gold next year.

Ditto...

coldrolled
02-02-2013, 11:21 AM
The combine will be teo's spring board back to the top...

LatrobePA
02-02-2013, 01:07 PM
The combine will be teo's spring board back to the top...

From the "bottom" to the top.. Oh yea!

USMC607
02-02-2013, 02:45 PM
I nvr thot this catfish thing would drop.him unless they found out he was in on it....

I think the bigger issue is his performance against bama. I dk how much the combine will help with erasing that.

Id still take him at 17 tho

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

weakdraft
02-02-2013, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't take Te'o if you gave him to me. He's the next Tony Mandarich if you ask me.

I still hope we get Okafor, and call it a day. Trade the rest of the draft for picks next year.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-02-2013, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't take Te'o if you gave him to me. He's the next Tony Mandarich if you ask me.

I still hope we get Okafor, and call it a day. Trade the rest of the draft for picks next year.

Do you even think before you post?.....If this draft is so bad like you claim it is then what team would want the rest of the Steelers picks?.....lol

LevonKirkland99
02-02-2013, 06:14 PM
T'eo dude has issues....hope he's not a Steeler...

weakdraft
02-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Do you even think before you post?.....If this draft is so bad like you claim it is then what team would want the rest of the Steelers picks?.....lol

Desperate teams with a lot of holes to fill. You can find some line prospects all over the SEC, but other than that, if Okafor is gone, pass on the whole draft this year, and try to make a deal for Taiwan Jones, and use him like Tomlinson. He is 24 now, he would be good for 5 to 8 years. Create one on one matchups for him to beat.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Desperate teams with a lot of holes to fill. You can find some line prospects all over the SEC, but other than that, if Okafor is gone, pass on the whole draft this year, and try to make a deal for Taiwan Jones, and use him like Tomlinson. He is 24 now, he would be good for 5 to 8 years. Create one on one matchups for him to beat.

Stop posting your stupid *** **** on this site please.....

coldrolled
02-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Minter or ogletree better..

steelchamp204
02-03-2013, 01:21 PM
I think Te'o is going to be a bust. Go ahead, Flame me.

Real Deal Steel
02-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Teo is gay.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2013, 08:24 PM
How far does all this drop his draft status?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

JensK
02-03-2013, 08:41 PM
He will interview well at the combine and likely do very well in the drills. It will hurt his stock somewhat, but not as drastic as some claim. I think he'll be valued to go between 15 and 30, which honestly is a much better place for him in the first place. He was never a top 10 talent imo.