PDA

View Full Version : The 2013 Steelers Offensive Line (As of right now).

USMC607
01-16-2013, 09:53 AM
So i was looking at this article and it makes me think that unless someone like Joeckel or Warmack fall to us which is unlikely i dont think the steelers are going Oline in the early rounds this yr.

The plan from what the article is saying is that since Beachum did a good job at right tackle they are confident he can play guard which is what they drafted him for.

So the line as of now unless someone too good to pass up falls to us is going to be

Gilbert - Beachum - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams

What do you guys think? :scratch:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-beachum-will-be-part-of-rebuilt-offensive-line-670169/

Nolrog
01-16-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't see anyway that they spend another high pick on the line no matter who's there.

An argument could be made for WR, TE, RB, OLB, ILB or even S though.

I do see an OL being taken later in the draft (5th or later.)

USMC607
01-16-2013, 10:14 AM
I wasn't a fan of the Oline pick in the 1st round anyway.

I mean Joeckel will in no way shape or form be there for us (hes gone in the top 5)

And Warmack is a man-child but i do not see the steelers using the pick on him even if he is there (although i dont think he will be)

We have spent too many high round draft picks on the Oline in the past couple yrs its time to use them on other positions and your right Nolrog a case could be made for WR, TE, RB, OLB, ILB, and S

I think RB and TE is too early for us at 17 no one really worth the pick at that spot.

That leaves OLB, ILB, and S, and the only ILB worth taking at 17 is Te'O who may not be there for us.

So it's looking like S and OLB and i think between those 2 positions there will be talent worthy of a 17 pick in the 1st rd from the OLB position then the S position.

Cricker24
01-16-2013, 05:39 PM
I really don't think they'll take a safety in the first round, especially at 17. My guess, and it's only a guess, is they go with an ILB, OLB, or WR. I would take Te'o if he was still there, but I really think he'll be taken before 17. I really like Arthur Brown from Kansas State. He's listed at 6'1" and 228lbs. so he's going to need to pack on some serious weight. For WR, I like Keenan Allen and Cordarrell Patterson, but I'm just not sure the Steelers will take a WR in the first round. I would think about trading down in the first and picking Tyler Eifert since we don't know for sure if Heath will be ready by the time the season starts and Eifert is in the mold of today's NFL TE; big, fast, can line up as a WR and excellent at jump balls. I'd be super excited if the Steelers got Eifert!! Unfortunately, it's only the middle of January and the draft is a long way away.

Chris :tt02:

USMC607
01-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Ya i didnt mention WR because our history of WR's taken in the 1st rd isnt great, so i have a hard time believing they go for one in the 1st. Especially with considerable talent in the later rds like Swope, Vernon, etc. I wouldnt be mad tho if we got K. Allen i just dont think hell be there at 17.

USMC607
01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
I wouldnt be mad with eifert neither if we traded down to the mid to late 20s in the draft and picked up extra picks...

scudmissile29
01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
no way we take teo.

gets manhandled by even competition in bcs
doesn't showup in bcs
is dumb enough to fake a gf on twitter bs

only reason why people would want him on our team is to have another samoan.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Ya i didnt mention WR because our history of WR's taken in the 1st rd isnt great, so i have a hard time believing they go for one in the 1st. Especially with considerable talent in the later rds like Swope, Vernon, etc. I wouldnt be mad tho if we got K. Allen i just dont think hell be there at 17.

Really??? Because the last 2 we took both caught game winning super bowl TDs in the final seconds...

steelchamp204
01-17-2013, 01:15 PM
If thats the line, Ben will end up like Theisman 2.0

USMC607
01-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Really??? Because the last 2 we took both caught game winning super bowl TDs in the final seconds...

I wasnt talking about just performance in general. Im talking about what they have done for us besides caused problems.

Santonio Holmes - Got in trouble and got traded for peanuts...

Plaxico Burress - Was good, but his best moments came with the Giants not us so i considered that bad luck.

Troy Edwards - waste of a 1st Rd pick as he was a headcase and garbage...

Charles Johnson - decent ability but not great ended up leaving via Free Agency as well..

Out of all of those guys... Only Santonio Holmes did something significant to help us win (THE CATCH). So i would say our luck with WRs in the 1st round isnt great...

USMC607
01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Even in the 2nd-7th rounds we have not been great at it...

Sweed, Fred Gibson, Willie Reid, Dallas Baker... All Garbage picks...

That leaves us with Heinz Ward and Randel el... With the jury still out on Wallace, Brown, and Sanders... and Wallace is more then likely leaving.

Zachintosh66
01-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Gilbert - potential, unproven
Beachum - lets hope not
Pouncey - would be nice to get and stay healthy
DeCastro - still waiting for him show, lol
Adams - potential, unproven

honestly, no real "confirmed" bright spots after Pouncey. The others havent been healthy or playing long enuff to say they are positively "sure things".

NYCsteelersfan
01-17-2013, 03:03 PM
I don't know why everyone keeps saying the Steelers won't "waste" another first round pick on an offensive linemen or why they shouldn't. The offensive line still clearly sucks. There has been no signs of improvement from them as a unit and only one of them has shown signs of talent. Why shouldn't they "waste" another first round pick to try and fix the broken position when everyone knows they won't go to free agency.

Nolrog
01-17-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't know why everyone keeps saying the Steelers won't "waste" another first round pick on an offensive linemen or why they shouldn't. The offensive line still clearly sucks. There has been no signs of improvement from them as a unit and only one of them has shown signs of talent. Why shouldn't they "waste" another first round pick to try and fix the broken position when everyone knows they won't go to free agency.

They've already spent two 1s and two 2s on the OL. Two of those picks were last year alone. Not to mention two more #1s on the DL. That leaves the other positions lacking.

The OL doesn't lack talent, it lacks health. That should be a good solid line already. On the other hand, we go into the season with zero running backs, without one of our starting WRs and without our starting TE, not to mention on D, they will likely cut the starting OLB. OL is the least of our problems. That doesn't mean we shouldn't look for depth in the middle rounds; you can get good quality in the middle rounds (hell, Mike Webster was a 5th round pick.)

K Train
01-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Mike Adams is going to be a badass LT....i expect him to make huge strides from this season

Crash
01-17-2013, 10:55 PM
I think the OL is fine when healthy, when they spread teams out and not tip their plays based on formation.

Big T
01-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Even in the 2nd-7th rounds we have not been great at it...

Sweed, Fred Gibson, Willie Reid, Dallas Baker... All Garbage picks...

That leaves us with Heinz Ward and Randel el... With the jury still out on Wallace, Brown, and Sanders... and Wallace is more then likely leaving.

Dallas Baker? Really? I get the argument after the 1st and all that, but "missing" on 7th rounders is hardly an issue... With any team. And how is the jury still out on Wallace? Wallace was an incredible find in the 3rd. Say what you will, but over 4000 yards an 32 TDs in 4 years, including a down season in a contract year? Come on now.

polamalu43
01-17-2013, 11:49 PM
Can't see us going OL in first round at all. The more I think about it......we need a plug and play on defence this year (I know it is not the Steeler way but I think it is needed). That position could be OLB, CB or DL. (depends on what Colbert does with our aging guys)

I'd like to see a S or WR taken early......we need to give our other draft picks like Worilds, Carter, Robinson and Spence the keys and let them run.

USMC607
01-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Dallas Baker? Really? I get the argument after the 1st and all that, but "missing" on 7th rounders is hardly an issue... With any team. And how is the jury still out on Wallace? Wallace was an incredible find in the 3rd. Say what you will, but over 4000 yards an 32 TDs in 4 years, including a down season in a contract year? Come on now.

I know its not a major issue i was using it as just another example of our bad luck draft WR's. Every other person i mentioned was round 4 or lower...

The jury is still out because he is most likely gone, and if he does leave he will be reaching his peak with another team not the steelers, which although just part of the sport and a business decision would be unluckyfor us.

And Brown and Sanders were good finds as well but the jury is out of them because they are so young you have no idea what will happen with them. They could become stars, or they could just become serviceable. Too young to tell.

The whole point of this was to get the point across that most (not all) of the time since 1997-1998 we have bad luck with WR's...

USMC607
01-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Its funny out of all the guys i named. Which were between 1st and 4th round. I get called out for the 1 7th rounder...

I was just using it as an example...A poor one maybe but its was 1 name of many...

Big T
01-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Its funny out of all the guys i named. Which were between 1st and 4th round. I get called out for the 1 7th rounder...

I was just using it as an example...A poor one maybe but its was 1 name of many...

Hence the reason I pointed it out. It didn't fit. I have no problem with your argument and the other players, but adding Dallas Baker is silly.

Zachintosh66
01-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Mike Adams is going to be a badass LT....i expect him to make huge strides from this season

im tired of hearing the words "going to be"

USMC607
01-18-2013, 12:41 PM

That should be Ziggy Hoods middle name...

Spring Training Stud that turns into Regular season bum...

K Train
01-18-2013, 05:19 PM

he was a rookie, and he played well....idk what else you want.

ive been saying hood was "going to be" terrible since day one