PDA

View Full Version : Blitz, K-Train, Latrobe, what's the word??

Real Deal Steel
01-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Why haven't we made a move toward getting an O-line coach? I haven't heard or seen anything here on the West Coast. Are they waiting on a specific guy who's on one of the playoff teams?

JensK
01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
They are not likely to sign anyone until after the SB. Furthermore, rumors has it that we might see more position coaches gone soon.

LatrobePA
01-14-2013, 12:21 PM
They are not likely to sign anyone until after the SB. Furthermore, rumors has it that we might see more position coaches gone soon.

That's what I'm hearing too. May be a few weeks until they make a hire.

Crash
01-14-2013, 12:24 PM
An offensive coach will be fired supposedly.

My guess it's WR coach Scottie Montgomery.

Nolrog
01-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Grease is the word. Everybody knows that.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Why haven't we made a move toward getting an O-line coach? I haven't heard or seen anything here on the West Coast. Are they waiting on a specific guy who's on one of the playoff teams?

too early. after the super bowl, coaching staffs (position coaches) will get shaken up around the league.

scudmissile29
01-14-2013, 12:30 PM
That's what I'm hearing too. May be a few weeks until they make a hire.

man you just passed 10k posts lol.

at least one of them made my signatures LOL

Raleigh Steel
Grease is the word. Everybody knows that.

And here I thought that bird is the word!

Real Deal Steel

Thanks. Praying for a good guy to get me excited about the O-line.

LatrobePA
01-14-2013, 12:34 PM
man you just passed 10k posts lol.

at least one of them made my signatures LOL

Lol 99.9% of them are worthless I'm sure! Dammit tapatalk makes it too easy to follow these forums..

Black@Gold Forever32
01-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Lol 99.9% of them are worthless I'm sure! Dammit tapatalk makes it too easy to follow these forums..

We should have that many posts since we have been posting here forever....lol

LatrobePA
01-14-2013, 12:45 PM
We should have that many posts since we have been posting here forever....lol

It's crazy isn't it.. This is a great forum much better then where we came from.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
It's crazy isn't it.. This is a great forum much better then where we came from.

if you dont mind me asking, where did you guys come from...

LatrobePA
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
if you dont mind me asking, where did you guys come from...

Steelers.com / message board.

Crash
01-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Ooof......

NeilPatrickBanana
01-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Steelers.com / message board.

me too

the only thing that kept me there was talking draft with SteelHack. The rest of that board was pretty terrible.

Farrior Fan
01-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Saying that Steelers dot coms message board is terrible is like saying the weather here today isn't very good (36 and raining). I checked one time this year and I couldn't even find the forums there, but I did not look very hard.

As for the Oline coach, I am very excited to see what is in store for us. With the talent that I THINK we have, we should be putting up much better point totals. Especially against teams that we should beat, but struggle or fail to do so (Chargers, Chiefs, Browns, Raiders, etc). If we can get our guys healthy and keep them that way we could be in for a great season, but I thought we would be 13-3 this year lol.

And BTW: The bird bird the bird is the word, EVERYONE knows about the bird.

LatrobePA
01-16-2013, 10:33 AM
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 15, 2013

Moving forward
It's all just speculation until a new offensive line coach is named - and there's no hurry there at this point - but with three key offensive linemen heading into free agency, the Steelers are going to have a different starting group in 2013.

Left tackle Max Starks, guard Ramon Foster and backup center/guard Doug Legursky will all be unrestricted free agents, and the Steelers could have a tough time bringing any of them back.

Starks and Foster want to start, and that opportunity might not be available with the Steelers. Of the three, Legursky could be the one who re-signs with the Steelers to continue as Maurkice Pouncey's backup - though he's shown enough as a true center to justify a team taking a chance on him as a starter.

With the Steelers having taken Maurkice Pouncey, Marcus Gilbert, David DeCastro and Mike Adams with premium draft picks in the past three years, they figure to hold down four of the starting spots. At what position - at least for Gilbert and Adams - remains to be seen.

At this point, if I were positioning them, Adams would be the left tackle and Gilbert would be the right. But that could change.

I know Adams struggled at left tackle last preseason, but he was a rookie at that point, seeing his first playing time. He's now had a decent amount of game experience and should have a better understanding of what's required.

At the same time, Adams proved to be a very good run blocker in the games he started this season, which would seemingly make him a better fit on the right side.

As for Gilbert, I question his footwork for a move to the left side. He also had issues last season on the right side handling power pass rushers, but again, perhaps an offseason to work on technique and strength will be good for him.

The wildcard in the equation is Kelvin Beachum. Beachum was taken late in last year's draft to be the new Trai Essex, a guy capable of playing guard or tackle.

He proved to be reasonably solid as a pass blocker, but didn't have the functional strength to run block. He's another player who will benefit from an offseason in the weight room.

The Steelers are trying to get away from the big, hulking, overweight linemen of the past - which is what you get when you fill your line with late-round draft picks.

And they've done a good job of becoming more athletic up front.

The next step is getting those linemen in the right places.

Dale Lolley at 2:56 PM

USMC607
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Ya i just started a thread about this didnt see your post Latrobe...

There is an article saying that because beachum did decent at right tackle they are comfortable with him being part of the future oline, at least for now... They drafted him to be a guard but due to injuries he was playing right tackle...

They are saying as of right now the oline is going to look like Gilbert - Beachum - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams

They said Gilbert is more natural at LT and Adams was a good Run blocker so they wanna keep him at RT
Obviously DeCastro has RG on lock as well as Pouncey with C

So the only real question they have is who will be backup to the starters because at the moment i think only Malecki is under contract... Foster, Legursky, Starks are all UFA and Colon is getting his walking (or should i say wheel chair) papers since the guys knees are made of laffy taffy.

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Again, there is reference to how bad Adams played left tackle. Adams better have a dynamite camp. Our backups will be crucial. We need to get Foster back as a backup. Starks can walk.

USMC607
01-16-2013, 11:09 AM
I would love to see the steelers resign Foster too, But i think he wants a chance to start. So unless he cant find a place in Free Agency to be a started, i dont think he signs with us which is a shame.

And ya Adams looked overwhelmed at LT and his skill set is more well served at RT, so thats where hell get put.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2013, 12:44 PM
The Steelers are trying to get away from the big, hulking, overweight linemen of the past - which is what you get when you fill your line with late-round draft picks.

And they've done a good job of becoming more athletic up front.

The next step is getting those linemen in the right places.

Dale Lolley at 2:56 PM

The next step is hiring the right coach, to implement the right scheme

I don't know why no one else is talking about it. Dale gets close, when talking about how athletic our rebuilt line is...
HELLO??? Our talent SCREAMS Zone Blocking scheme.

LatrobePA
01-16-2013, 12:46 PM
The next step is hiring the right coach, to implement the right scheme

I don't know why no one else is talking about it. Dale gets close, when talking about how athletic our rebuilt line is...
HELLO??? Our talent SCREAMS Zone Blocking scheme.

Maybe Kugler leaving was a blessing! Like you said lets hope the next "Lake" coach is hired for the oline.

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2013, 12:47 PM
I would love to see the steelers resign Foster too, But i think he wants a chance to start. So unless he cant find a place in Free Agency to be a started, i dont think he signs with us which is a shame.

And ya Adams looked overwhelmed at LT and his skill set is more well served at RT, so thats where hell get put.

Well, if the coaching staff feels that way, then I suspect that a real left tackle WILL be our first pick @ 17. :(

USMC607
01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Well, if the coaching staff feels that way, then I suspect that a real left tackle WILL be our first pick @ 17. :(

Well at least for this yr it seems like they are content with trying out Gilbert in LT because in the article they said thats his natural position or at least what they feel is his more natural position...

So i dont think theyll go LT at 17 unless someone like Joeckel which wont happen falls to them. They are gonna give Gilbert a shot.

But after reading that article im pretty sure their 17 pick is going to be Defense probably a pass rusher...
With the outside chance a WR or S gets the call...

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Our need at WR isn't that dire for us to use the # 17 pick. You can bet that it will be a pass rusher or DT.

Crash
01-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Can't draft a DT at #17. No point.

Playmaker on either side of the ball.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Our need at WR isn't that dire for us to use the # 17 pick. You can bet that it will be a pass rusher or DT.

Look at Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Gilreath.... now look at the other 31 NFL teams and name 5 that are in more dire need than the Steelers.

Our current WRs include :
- a 3 year, 6th round pick, who showed all the ability in the world as a #2, but who has never had to face double coverage and top cover corners as a #1 WR
- a 3 year, 3rd round pick, who has never shown the consistency to be a reliable #3, let alone a #2
- an old grizzled vet, who can give you some valuable 3rd down snaps
- a practice squad player

In Summary, going into next year:
- Our #1 WR, is a #2 WR
- Our #2 WR, is a ****** #3 WR
- Our #3 WR, is an old man
- Our #4 WR, is a scrub

WR is about as dire as it gets...
oh yea, and our ****** #3, posing as a #2... isn't even signed.

We may draft a pass rusher, definitely also a need. We may even draft a DB. But WR is definitely on the table and more likely than DT

edit : I am a huge Antonio Brown fan...before being labeled a hater, for being able to be critical about our own players.

Zachintosh66
01-16-2013, 03:56 PM
today Colbert sounded like there may be some coaching changes after all

K Train
01-16-2013, 04:27 PM
rumors are Tunch Ilkin could be in line for the job.

wouldnt mind looking at some college programs though. Someone like the dude from oklahoma or stanford or another program with a beastly strength and conditioning program

Tony Sparano might be the best guy out there for the job, thats about where hes gonna fall...cant see someone giving him another OC gig

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2013, 04:41 PM
rumors are Tunch Ilkin could be in line for the job.

wouldnt mind looking at some college programs though. Someone like the dude from oklahoma or stanford or another program with a beastly strength and conditioning program

Tony Sparano might be the best guy out there for the job, thats about where hes gonna fall...cant see someone giving him another OC gig

Tunch is inline for what job? Strength/conditioning? or Oline?

I know he runs some sort of athletic training business... but Oline coach? Has he ever coached anywhere?

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Can't draft a DT at #17. No point.

Playmaker on either side of the ball.

Boy, you guys place no value at the nose tackle position. I wish the Ravens would have thought like that and not taken Ngata.

K Train
01-16-2013, 04:43 PM
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119207-ed-tunch-ilkin-would-make-a-fine-line-coach

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/1/2/3826346/steelers-offensive-line-coach-sean-kugler-UTEP-candidates-replacements-options

cant find where i orginally saw it but heres some rumors regarding it

K Train
01-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Boy, you guys place no value at the nose tackle position. I wish the Ravens would have thought like that and not taken Ngata.

seriously.....

star, hankins, and jenkins are EASILY worth the 17th pick.

im hoping we can find something with woods, mcclendon and taamu....all have a legitimate chance of being great players, but none as long as hampton is taking far too many snaps away from them

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Loving me some Jenkins. He's the type of beast we need.

Thanks K, I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought Jenkins was worth # 17

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Did we resign taamu??

K Train
01-16-2013, 04:52 PM

Thanks K, I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought Jenkins was worth # 17
even jesse williams is a super disruptive DT...not sures hes gonna grade out THAT high but definitely second round

Did we resign taamu??
i think hes on the PS

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2013, 04:56 PM

Ngata plays DE in their 3-4 alignments

K Train
01-16-2013, 04:58 PM

thats because hes a freak athetically....he would be a badass NT too and thats how he was drafted until they realized he could play 5 tech and every other position they want him to.

Woods can shake that "raw player" label if given the chance, he has that kind of athletic ability to move around if he does....i lovedddddd al woods, but its now or never for him and hes shown some great flashes

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2013, 05:05 PM

his ability is becoming more and more irrelevant. I would never draft a 1st/2nd down only, non 4th quarter player in the 1st round. This isn't 2003 anymore.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2013, 05:06 PM
thats because hes a freak athetically....he would be a badass NT too and thats how he was drafted until they realized he could play 5 tech and every other position they want him to.

Woods can shake that "raw player" label if given the chance, he has that kind of athletic ability to move around if he does....i lovedddddd al woods, but its now or never for him and hes shown some great flashes

I have a soft spot for Al Woods too. Not sure why he couldn't get on the field.

Between McClendon, Taamu, Woods, Hood, Heyward, and recently stolen Fangupo.... we do not need to, nor can we afford to waste time investing more picks in 3-4 D Linemen. It would be comical... as if the front office had no understanding what so ever on what is our weaknesses are, and what we need to do to get back to the top

K Train
01-16-2013, 05:08 PM
yeah....those guys that are monsters up front and collapse the pocket like suh, fairly, ngata, j.smith, and atkins are irrelvant.....:rolleyes:

K Train
01-16-2013, 05:10 PM
I have a soft spot for Al Woods too. Not sure why he couldn't get on the field.

Between McClendon, Taamu, Woods, Hood, Heyward, and recently stolen Fangupo.... we do not need to, nor can we afford to waste time investing more picks in 3-4 D Linemen. It would be comical... as if the front office had no understanding what so ever on what is our weaknesses are, and what we need to do to get back to the top
i didnt know we snagged hebron fangupu.....i thought he was a good prospect last year.

point is they need to get better up front, its not surprising that the pass rush went away when hampton got old and useless and smith retired...hood is ****ing horrible

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2013, 05:15 PM
yeah....those guys that are monsters up front and collapse the pocket like suh, fairly, ngata, j.smith, and atkins are irrelvant.....:rolleyes:

but Jenkins isn't remotely similar to any of those players. You have a couple of 1 gap/4-3 guys listed (Suh, Fairley, Atkins). If we were running a 4-3, I'd be getting a pocket collapser.

Then you list 2 3-4 DEs, who have exceptional athletic talent.... have you ever seen Jenkins play? His athletic range is about the circumference of a phone booth.

Jenkins is pure Nose Guard, and his athletic ability makes Casey look like a ballerina. He is purely an "occupy" lineman. He'd fit right into our scheme. Perfect fit... if you want to spend a 1st round pick on a refrigerator.

look... if our WR core wasn't pathetic, and we had some exciting young pass rusher in the pipeline, and we weren't about to lose our best cover corner.... and our safety duo wasn't a combined 67 years old next year, then I'd be totally into wasting a 1st round pick on a NT. The truth is, we have much bigger problems, and if we intend to continue running the same scheme, we need to invest in talent at more premier positions

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2013, 05:19 PM
i didnt know we snagged hebron fangupu.....i thought he was a good prospect last year.

point is they need to get better up front, its not surprising that the pass rush went away when hampton got old and useless and smith retired...hood is ****ing horrible

They need to get better at scoring, and better at making splash plays defensively... a 1st rounder on a NT... not really gonna address that. It might get us from #2 against the run, back to #1... if that's like a priority of yours

their pass rush got ****** when James got old... not casey. and when aaron got old. I agree that Hood is a worthless turd. so play Heyward, and start drafting some Oak Trees in the later rounds where good 3-4 DL are always available

it's much easier to find quality 3-4 Dline players in the later rounds, than it is to find stud WRs and Pass Rushers

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana

You'd know that the Ravens play 4-3 if you watched the games sometimes instead of just wanting to contradict someone for the sake of contradicting. :rolleyes:

NeilPatrickBanana
01-16-2013, 09:29 PM
You'd know that the Ravens play 4-3 if you watched the games sometimes instead of just wanting to contradict someone for the sake of contradicting. :rolleyes:

actually, the ravens base package is still a 3-4. and in that base package, Cody is the NT, and Ngata is one of the DEs
They do use a 4 man front at times, and allow Ngata to 1 gap from inside, however this is not their base package

lastly, why would you compare Jenkins (as a potential steelers draft pick) and compare him to someone you thought played 4-3 DT.

It's almost as if you don't realize the significant difference between the 2.

nice try though

USMC607
01-18-2013, 02:24 PM
No NT in the 1st please.... Mclendon can put on some weight and i think he is gonna be very solid for us...

Hood tho is another story... This kid is garbage... The fact that they constantly gave him praise in training camp like he was on the verge of a breakout season and after ample time sitting behind Smith he still produced dog **** in the Regular season...

And i agree with laser kangaroo we need a splash play defense position to draft or some weapons on offense since RB is looking like its going to get gutted and we are more then likely losing Wallace, and Heath will be out for a while

Real Deal Steel
01-18-2013, 05:11 PM

We have to get that pass rush back. I don't care how we do it, but we have to get it. If we can't upgrade the secondary the way we want, having a pass rush will be the only way to help that secondary.

LatrobePA
01-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Our defense isn't scary anymore! Harrison and Woodley use to scare the **** out of linemen and QB's, Troy as well.

Crash
01-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Now that Chubbs Peterson is staying look for a new OL coach hire next week,

Cricker24
01-18-2013, 05:57 PM
I thought this thread was about our next o-line coach? :lol: With that in mind, what about Jeff Stoutland from Alabama? I know he had a lot of talent to work with, but their o-line has been awesome the passed 2 years since he's been there. I don't know what kind of blocking scheme he runs or if that would work with the guys we have, but I'd at least interview the guy. What do you all think?

Tunch Ilkin would be an interesting choice, but my concern is he's never coached before. Also, since he works for WDVE covering the Steelers, there could be some difficulties getting the players to listen to him. Know what I mean? It's like they say, you don't usually want a former player as a coach since they already have friendships with the guys on the roster.

It's going to be interesting to see who the Steelers even interview for the position. As for special teams, I'd again, look at the college ranks. There's a lot of young motivated coaches in college that are looking for a chance to prove themselves and I think someone like that could add a spark to a unit that's been pathetic for the last several seasons.

Chris :tt02:

Crash
01-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Tunch has never been on a staff before. But he's been doing private coaching sessions in off seasons with linemen for years. Teams also use his instructional videos on techniques as well.

USMC607
01-18-2013, 06:31 PM
I thought this thread was about our next o-line coach? :lol: With that in mind, what about Jeff Stoutland from Alabama? I know he had a lot of talent to work with, but their o-line has been awesome the passed 2 years since he's been there. I don't know what kind of blocking scheme he runs or if that would work with the guys we have, but I'd at least interview the guy. What do you all think?

Tunch Ilkin would be an interesting choice, but my concern is he's never coached before. Also, since he works for WDVE covering the Steelers, there could be some difficulties getting the players to listen to him. Know what I mean? It's like they say, you don't usually want a former player as a coach since they already have friendships with the guys on the roster.

It's going to be interesting to see who the Steelers even interview for the position. As for special teams, I'd again, look at the college ranks. There's a lot of young motivated coaches in college that are looking for a chance to prove themselves and I think someone like that could add a spark to a unit that's been pathetic for the last several seasons.

I havent looked at Jeff Stoutland alot but at first look ill say he puts out Stud Olines after Stud Olines...

Is it him or the talent tho?

K Train
01-18-2013, 06:51 PM
hard to say but with the talent theyve had the last 5 years you dont even need a coach at the college level...even that bad ones that arent good pros are men among boys at the collegiate level.

he has produced quality first round picks though...andre smith, carpenter, and now warmack, jones, fluker potentially

USMC607
01-18-2013, 09:18 PM
i was thinking that, i mean even with the talent tho he has to get some credit for coaching them up. Who knows but with the Olines hes been in charge of and their history of work he sure looks like he knows what hes doing.

Cricker24
01-19-2013, 05:51 PM
That's what I'm saying, talent isn't enough by itself. If that were the case, then teams like the Chargers a few years ago and the Cowboys more recently would have won championships since they had tons of talent. However, the coaches on those teams weren't very good and that's why the talent didn't live up to the potential. It's kind of the chicken or the egg theory. Are Alabama's offensive lines so good because of the talent or because of the coaches? I think it's somewhere in between. Obviously the Steelers have talent along the o-line, but I think they need a coach like Stoutland to help these guys reach their potential. You can keep picking o-line guys in the first or second rounds all you want, but we need a coach to make them better. I understand that injuries don't help and perhaps Kugler truly did the best he could with what he had, but it just seemed to me that the o-line never really progressed during his tenure. Anyway, that's just what I'm thinking.

connecticutsteel
01-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Is Howard Mudd availlible

Cricker24
01-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Is Howard Mudd availlible

I hope you're being sarcastic. Did you see the Eagles offensive line last year?

ChucktownSteeler
01-20-2013, 09:38 AM
I see a lot of talk about Tunch. Although he was a popular player, has he coached since leaving the NFL? How long has he been out of the game? What is driving everyone's thoughts that he would be a good OL coach.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he the player that "tipped" the other team as to the play being a run or pass by his stance? If so, would we want someone so fundamentally incorrect coaching our players?