PDA

View Full Version : Time for a better #2 tight end?

Get7With7
01-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Obviously, with the injury to Heath Miller he might not be ready when the season starts. Even when he is healthy, the depth at TE is terrible. There's a huge drop-off from him to Pope and Paulson. I know there are a lot of concerns on defense, RB, and potentially WR, but TE is a position that should not be ignored even if Heath were healthy. I know the Steelers aren't the Patriots when it comes to tight ends, but it wouldn't hurt to see if there are any with pedigree coming out of the draft. The Steelers would have a reliable #2 and possibly someone who could be a #1 when Heath is past his prime.

Thoughts?

Crash
01-05-2013, 03:09 AM
Draft Mike Shanahan from PITT and tell him to gain 30 pounds.

Because if we don't? The Patriots will.

cbrunn
01-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Eifert in round 1 would be great

Yeah the defense has questions and I agree I would love defense drafted ... but lets be serious in this new NFL if you can't score 28+ your not going to win... Defense is being phased out, and our offense seems to barely ever score over 20 ... I don't see any of the Pass rushers really falling in the draft, so why not take the best receiver in the draft which is TE Tyle Eifert

BlacknGoldHaze
01-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Draft Mike Shanahan from PITT and tell him to gain 30 pounds.

Because if we don't? The Patriots will.

Can't argue with this......I'd love to land Shanahan.

Nolrog
01-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I think TE is a definite need for us. Because Heath will probably miss part of the season but also as a successor for when he's gone in a few years. Although, I still see a pass rusher (or perhaps a MILB if Te'o falls to us) as a much higher need.

coldrolled
01-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Yeah the defense has questions and I agree I would love defense drafted ... but lets be serious in this new NFL if you can't score 28+ your not going to win... Defense is being phased out, and our offense seems to barely ever score over 20 ... I don't see any of the Pass rushers really falling in the draft, so why not take the best receiver in the draft which is TE Tyle Eifert

You have a good point. We need a TE #1, OT #2 and RB #3 then Pick up the pass rushers in the 4th and 5th rounds like a Burfict type who is playing today.

Get7With7
01-05-2013, 02:27 PM

It's not so much that defense is being phased out, it's just that its purpose is different. It's not about being ranked #1 in yards allowed, it's about splash plays - turnovers and sacks. New England and Green Bay have bad defenses as far as giving up yardage, but they create turnovers and give the ball back to their offenses - thus resulting in more points.

cbrunn
01-05-2013, 02:41 PM
It's not so much that defense is being phased out, it's just that its purpose is different. It's not about being ranked #1 in yards allowed, it's about splash plays - turnovers and sacks. New England and Green Bay have bad defenses as far as giving up yardage, but they create turnovers and give the ball back to their offenses - thus resulting in more points.

Yeah Turnovers and Points allowed Per game ... Turnovers Steelers suck at, Points Per Game they're 6th ...
but the offense only puts up 21 pts per game...with all the Weapons they have to only put up 21 pts per game is ridiculous, either we're over rating some of our "Weapons" (Wallace, Brown , Sanders) or over rating our QB ... either way how we feel about our offense doesn't translate to points

polamalu43
01-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Wallace is over rated. I am not opposed to an early round WR pick in the draft. Look at the top WR picked in other years. If we have a good draft year again in 2013 and some of our 2012 draft guys come around we will look good on paper.

We definately need to add to our offence this year!

Get7With7
01-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Yeah Turnovers and Points allowed Per game ... Turnovers Steelers suck at, Points Per Game they're 6th ...
but the offense only puts up 21 pts per game...with all the Weapons they have to only put up 21 pts per game is ridiculous, either we're over rating some of our "Weapons" (Wallace, Brown , Sanders) or over rating our QB ... either way how we feel about our offense doesn't translate to points

That's because the Steelers play it close to the vest on offense. They're more concerned with time of possession, hoping the defense will keep the team in the game long enough for Ben to pull a miracle out of his *** at the end. Meanwhile, other teams aren't fretting over time of possession, they're actually playing modern football and trying to score.

The Steelers simply do not want to be an offensive team, they want to be a defensive, ball control team. Until they change their philosophy, they will not be a team that scores many points regardless of who's playing.

Crash
01-05-2013, 03:02 PM
but the offense only puts up 21 pts per game.

When you don't get turnovers, you don't get cheap, quick points.

You don't get good field position, you also want to run the ball? This is what happens.

Zachintosh66
01-05-2013, 11:28 PM
shouldn't of gotten rid of Saunders... granted he was one of those "can take the kid out of the hood, but not the hood out of the kid"

he was more talented than Pope, Paulson and McCoy pput together... but the front office wasn't having anymore character probs... surprised they brought Ta' Amu back.

igor0190
01-05-2013, 11:48 PM
With the NFL being so ridiculously pass happy we need another #1 TE. Not someone that does it all like heath, but someone who's nearly impossible to cover and creates matchup problems. A Hernandez type guy.

Saunders had a ton of potential.

Big T
01-06-2013, 01:58 AM
With the NFL being so ridiculously pass happy we need another #1 TE. Not someone that does it all like heath, but someone who's nearly impossible to cover and creates matchup problems. A Hernandez type guy.

Saunders had a ton of potential.

That's why after thinking it over, even though we have larger needs, I wouldn't be upset with Eifert in the 1st round. The man is a monster.

connecticutsteel
01-06-2013, 02:15 AM
I like Eifert HE HAS EXCEPTIONAL HANDS not quite as athletic as i would like but the good far outweighs the bad here. As far as Saunders goes i too think he is supremely talented however he is exhibiting the same i'm just glad to be drawing a pay check adtitude .based on what i saw in college he could easily have starting job on any team but is apparently satisfied with being a 2nd or 3rd TE

Zachintosh66
01-06-2013, 03:56 PM
not a first rounder... DB, LB, DL, RB is a bigger "need" IMO

we have a #2 TE David Johnson *rolls eyes*

Get7With7
01-06-2013, 04:07 PM

He won't be a Steeler next year, that leaves them with Paulson and Pope! Gronkowski and Hernandez better look out! There's a new tight end duo coming next year!!!!!!!!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2013, 04:07 PM

There is no RB worth a first round pick in this draft so I agree RB is a bigger need then a TE but I wouldn't want a RB drafted over a TE like Eifert.......

I also don't think any NT are worth a first round pick in this draft......

Drafting a pass rusher is the biggest need heading into the draft and I would put safety as the next biggest need....But if Clark and Troy both return I wouldn't look for the team to draft a safety in the first but later in the draft since its a deep draft for safety's.......A corner becomes a bigger need if Lewis isn't resigned but if he is then I wouldn't look for a corner to be drafted early.....

So I want to see a pass rusher, a TE or WR drafted in the first round....Of course if Te'o somehow falls to 17 then I would draft that kid in a heart beat....Only TE I like in the first round is Eifert....

LevonKirkland99
01-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Te'o from ND? he is overrated...

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Te'o from ND? he is overrated...

according to you maybe....lol the kid can play football and is a monster.....I hate Notre Dame but I like Te'o........

coldrolled
01-06-2013, 05:06 PM
David Johnson is a Colt right??

Big T
01-06-2013, 05:36 PM
David Johnson is on IR. Weslye Saunders is a Colt.

coldrolled
01-06-2013, 11:29 PM
David Johnson is on IR. Weslye Saunders is a Colt.

If hes not a colt, then he is unemployed..

USMC607
01-07-2013, 05:12 PM
If we went TE early id like Zach Ertz.

BstripeYpaint
01-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Does anyone have any new knowledge about the condition/prospects for a full recovery for our great TE Heath Miller? He is such an important contributor. I have no sense about where our need at the TE position sits in the hierarchy of things that must be accomplished in the off season. There are some terrific prospects in the draft this year- Tyler Eifert (6'6, 251, Notre Dame) with his great hands & size; Travis Kelce (6'4, 280, Cincy), a fantastic athlete w/ a lot of upside; and Michael Williams (6'6, 270 from Alabama) who is great in the running game. These are three, but i think there are several other excellent prospects at the TE position.

Crash
01-23-2013, 02:54 PM
As I said, Mike Shanahan, PITT. The next Gronk.

BstripeYpaint
01-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Yes, Mike Shanahan has impressive credentials as TE-like wide receiver at U. Pitt. He is an excellent receiver. Size is one of those things that he will be able to gain. Good call. I like him too.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Mike Shanahan the next Gronk?....bit of a stretch don't you think?.......

NeilPatrickBanana
01-23-2013, 03:45 PM
As I said, Mike Shanahan, PITT. The next Gronk.

I think he definitely has that basketball player/TE style.... but comparing him to Gronk is a stretch. Gronk was over 6'6 and 260 at the combine, and ran a 4.6

Mike will be lucky to measure 6'5 235

Gronk was also a true college TE... Mike lines up at WR a lot.

Mike is a project.... Gronk was a stud coming out (injury dropped draft stock)

Crash
01-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Shanahan had to play with **** QBs at PITT. We don't draft him? The Pats will.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Shanahan had to play with **** QBs at PITT. We don't draft him? The Pats will.

Tino Sunseri is a bum no doubt.....Why would the Pats draft him?.....They have Gronk and Aaron Hernandez.......Shanahan very well might turn out to be a good player but to say he is the next Gronk is a bit much......

NeilPatrickBanana
01-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Tino Sunseri is a bum no doubt.....Why would the Pats draft him?.....They have Gronk and Aaron Hernandez.......Shanahan very well might turn out to be a good player but to say he is the next Gronk is a bit much......

some people have to be over the top about everything

BstripeYpaint
02-10-2013, 02:04 PM
We need an Anquan Boldin-like WR, but I think it may be said that we would all be delighted if the Steelers acquired Tyler Eifert at TE. We would likely have to use our 1st pick to get him.

ChucktownSteeler
02-10-2013, 02:25 PM
If we could get a decent TE from the 5th round on I take a shot. However I think we have more pressing needs at LB, RB, and Safety to use a high round pick on TE.

K Train
02-10-2013, 02:39 PM
TE would be a very smart investment early on, being they would let him play early in his rookie career. Eifert, Ertz are obvious picks. Ertz is very big, strong, and explosive, eifert has tremendous body control and is a jump ball master.

Jordan Reed is a guy im liking more and more and hes picking up steam as a prospect

steelchamp204
02-10-2013, 02:42 PM
I think Heath being out will be a huge burden on our offense. Lets hope the other guys step it up when he is absent. Especially in the red zone.

K Train
02-10-2013, 02:55 PM
a lot of people will scoff at taking a TE in round 1 or two, but TE in todays league is vital to get involved in the passing game. Top TEs are just as important as top WRs

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2013, 03:06 PM
a lot of people will scoff at taking a TE in round 1 or two, but TE in todays league is vital to get involved in the passing game. Top TEs are just as important as top WRs

I don't scoff at taking a TE in the first....I would have been happy with Fleener last year......I wish the Steelers would have moved up to get Gronk in the 2nd round in 2010..........I agree with you in the NFL today you need a dominant TE and really need two of them........The Ravens even drafted Pitta and Dickson.......They're far from Gronk and Hernandez but those two as a combo or better then what the Steelers could put on the field....Heath is beast but the rest are bums......

K Train
02-10-2013, 03:08 PM
heath and ertz/eifert/reed would be great

ertz has jumped eifert as my #1 TE

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
heath and ertz/eifert/reed would be great

ertz has jumped eifert as my #1 TE

Ertz or Eifert........I know more about Eifert since I live so close to South Bend......But yea the Steelers need to draft a TE early........Its a reason I don't mind trading back in the first round......If the Steelers can get the WR or TE they want in the first round even if they trade down to around pick 24/25 and acquire more picks it would be a bad idea.....This team needs a WR, TE, RB, pass rusher, another WR really in this draft......would be hard to do without acquiring more picks....

Real Deal Steel
02-10-2013, 03:16 PM
I think Heath being out will be a huge burden on our offense. Lets hope the other guys step it up when he is absent. Especially in the red zone.

Yeah...I couldn't have put it better. I absolutely hate the idea of having to use a draft pick on the position but the point that K-Train made is a valid one indeed.

We have soooooo many holes and the front office doesn't use free agency so there is no way we will properly address all our needs this off-season.

ChucktownSteeler
02-10-2013, 05:57 PM
I agree with the importance of a TE, I just think we have more pressing needs right now, especially at LB.