PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else here remember life before Ben?

NorCalSteel
01-04-2013, 05:17 PM
I read threads here about needing a new QB? It was agony between Terry Bradshaw and Big Ben those years were very hit and miss. I almost didn't watch when they named Mike Tomzack starting QB..lol wtf. I don't want to go through that again for awhile yet. Ben has had some ups and downs for him, but he is far better then anything that is available out there for us. We can get to and win more SB's with him as the guy. I am not sure what they are going to do to get this ship fixed but changing a QB is not the answer..

Crash
01-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Art II was in law practice then, so he doesn't.

elephantman
01-04-2013, 05:38 PM
I read threads here about needing a new QB? It was agony between Terry Bradshaw and Big Ben those years were very hit and miss. I almost didn't watch when they named Mike Tomzack starting QB..lol wtf. I don't want to go through that again for awhile yet. Ben has had some ups and downs for him, but he is far better then anything that is available out there for us. We can get to and win more SB's with him as the guy. I am not sure what they are going to do to get this ship fixed but changing a QB is not the answer..

Mike Tomzak, Kordel, neil o'donnell, Tom Maddox all went to the playoffs under cowher and 2 went to multiple AFC championships....couldnet get it done, then Ben comes along....things got better very fast

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Having a QB like Ben keeps us from going back to the days of seeing pictures of Bubby Bristers mom on the jumbotron, watching Kent Graham Cracker getting sacked more than a potato farmer, Slash crying on the sidelines, O'donnell tossing interceptions out like Candy in the Super Bowl, or Mark Malone just being Mark Malone.

No thanks, I'll take Ben anyday.

LatrobePA
01-04-2013, 06:09 PM
QB's are coming out of college now more NFL ready then ever... It's crazy!

NorCalSteel
01-04-2013, 06:15 PM
hmm who has the record for most wins as A rookie QB? Most wins in a row with out a loss as a starting rookie QB like to have that guy on our team..:yellowthumb:

elephantman
01-04-2013, 08:18 PM

I know, strange, perhaps as the league is making it a passing game that these young guys are finding it easier, and thus,are better. Could Aaron Rogers pick apart the 70's steelers with the 70's rules?? I dont think so, but he can now, and his numbers reflect it

on another note, Interesting How Ben , Eli, and Rivers of the 2004 draft class are all watching on TV 3 rookies in the playoffs, and 3 very good ones...

Crash
01-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Arians may interview with Eagles.

Life after Ben may come a lot sooner than you think.

LatrobePA
01-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Arians may interview with Eagles.

Life after Ben may come a lot sooner than you think.

Lol I wish you would stop it!

jpele
01-04-2013, 09:12 PM

Because the NFL is anti-defense. It makes it much easier for a rookie QB to succeed.

polamalu43
01-05-2013, 12:05 AM
It is hard to imagine life without Ben.........we need to enjoy the ride while we can boys.

BlacknGoldHaze
01-05-2013, 10:09 AM
We will need to draft Johhny Football to compete with Chip Kelly's high flying offense in Cleveland.......

BlaZeQuietly
01-08-2013, 02:25 PM
I don't think anybody said to get a new quarterback now, at least I know I didn't, I'm just saying I think Ben may be over the hump, as in past his prime. Sure yeah with some improvement to the O-line and special teams we would probably still be playing now, and could be fore the new 3 years or so, but eventually we are going to have to replace Ben and I think we need to start thinking about that sooner rather than later. Tanking next season and drafting johnny football would sure help, Steelers don't tank on purpose for high draft picks like the colts do though. I don't know. I'd hate to be back to the Kordell Stewart or Tommy Maddox days, cause they wenr't worth their weight in beans, but as some one else said, there are a lot of good young quarter backs out there, and some of them come out of no where (capernick) so maybe we should keep an eye out for a potential Ben replacement, and a good one, Maybe we should even consider using FA for a QB at some point, worked well for the Broncos, and honestly alex smith isnt that bad, I'd love to make Ben earn his spot over Alex smith, maybe the reason Ben hasnt improved these last couple years is because he has no competition.

steelchamp204
01-08-2013, 02:30 PM
I really just want to see this Oline protect for a full season. Look how good Ben was when he was younger whenour line was great. Anchored by Faneca. Yes, we had a run game. Ben had time to throw the ball also, he made plays, but this line anymore. Holy ****.

FlatsSteeler
01-08-2013, 03:37 PM
If you think "Life Before Ben" was bad........I remember "Life Before Terry".........Be Thankful....Very Thankful for Ben.......

Crash
01-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah 26 TDs 8 picks in 13 games.

He's clearly over the hill and should have to "compete" for his job.

TarlsQtr
01-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Anyone calling for the trade/release of Ben Roethlisberger is certifiably insane. He is one of the main reasons why we went from mediocrity to championships and is still playing at a high level. He had a few bad games at the end of the season. Get over it and move forward. Better days for him are ahead.

Crash
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Wasn't even bad games. Overreaction.

Didn't use him vs. Cincy, and if the defense did anything of note against Dallas it's a rout.

The front office and ownership DO however have to realize that 1970s football doesn't work in Roger Goodell's no defense NFL.

Steeler4life
01-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Yea, I remember the whole life between Terry and Ben. Of course until the early 90's the only games I got to see were the ones on TV so the effect wasn't as bad for me.

I do often dream about how the Steelers would have been the Dynasty of the 90's and early 2000's with Cowher if we have Ben all those years or a similar caliber QB.

I used to get down on Cowher at times during his career for having 'Shottenhimer Syndrome' and always falling short in the big game but looking back I feel the main reason was mostly the lack of a quality QB. We never had one that could be the difference in those games we got behind in.

Looking back even more, Cowhers teams were mostly beasts on D and Running game which they needed to be with the QB's we had all those years. Despite being 2-4 (or is it 2-5) in the AFCC game with one of those losses being Ben's rookie year (Pats cheated anyway :P) he made the most of what he had.

IMO the only reason we make it to the playoffs or have a chance every year these days is because of Ben.

Pipe Dream: Cowhers teams + Ben.

Pipe Dream #2: I hope I never see Cowher on the sidelines of another team but who knows, perhaps he does have the itch but is waiting until Tomlin's time is up for a chance to bleed Black and Gold from the sidelines once again.

I don't hate Tomlin....yet but I am starting to really question his work ethics of his players.

Yes, I remember life without Ben and I am starting to see what it's going to be like remembering life without Cowher.

Crash
01-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Tomlin's better than Cowher. Cowher made home playoff games at Heinz Field a joke.

Tomlin's team wins at home.

Zachintosh66
01-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Those who seriously want Ben gone... need a labaotmy.

Should he have played at the end of year? Prolly not. But hey, he didnt want to stomache Batch and Leftwhich anymore. And neither did I.

If he wouldn't have played i promise there would be some on here freaking out that a 100 million dollar QB is hurt for a month or two and in the meat of the playoff race. And then they would be calling for Bens head anyways.

So basically its a no win situation...

Ben may have not of finished the year as an "Elite" but even a hurt Ben is still better than half the league. I just hope for year when Ben doesnt have to run for his life, so we can see how good he actually could be...

Mike Tomlin
01-09-2013, 05:11 AM
My god all I can remember about life before Ben was Tommy(please don't put me in the redzone) Maddox. That dude might have been the best qb in the league from 20 to 20. BUT...... once he got to the redzone it was almost guaranteed he would throw and interception. He drove me crazy I actually think I aged faster watching him play.

USMC607
01-09-2013, 10:22 AM
I dont know which was worse, his play or his nickname... TommyGun AutoMaddox... Really who comes up with that stuff?

What about Kent Graham... The Good Days.... lol

Real Deal Steel
01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Before Ben?

Kordell Stewart (Gay QB bringing his boyfriends into the locker room and totally causing anarchy! Inconsistent play)
Tommy Maddox (Touch passer who played well in spots but not a big winner)
Neil Odonnell (Played well for the most part but always came up short in the biggest moments)

I appreciate Ben and would never want to go back to that crap. Goes to show you how important a QB is in the NFL today. If you have a good to great one, you have a chance. You don't have one, your **** out of luck.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Before Ben?

Kordell Stewart (Gay QB bringing his boyfriends into the locker room and totally causing anarchy! Inconsistent play)
Tommy Maddox (Touch passer who played well in spots but not a big winner)
Neil Odonnell (Played well for the most part but always came up short in the biggest moments)

I appreciate Ben and would never want to go back to that crap. Goes to show you how important a QB is in the NFL today. If you have a good to great one, you have a chance. You don't have one, your **** out of luck.

Don't forget Bubby Brister, Mike Tomczak for a season in 96, some games with Jim Miller and Kent Graham sprinkled in....lol This list of bums is the reason I'm willing to cut Ben so much slack.....I think many of the younger Steelers on this site just don't understand what they really have in Ben.......

Real Deal Steel
01-09-2013, 06:18 PM
How could I forget Bubby Brister??? Hahahaha. Those were awful times.

USMC607
01-09-2013, 07:43 PM
I still remember when Neil threw SB XXX vs the cowboys... I have never seen 2 interceptions thrown on the exact same play to the exact same guy overthrown both times, and nowhere near the WR.

I swore he got paid off to lose that game...

Crash
01-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Oh BS. He lost money on that game.

The first INT was his fault.

Not the second.

Steeler4life
01-09-2013, 07:45 PM

LOL yea no sh*t! Remember his infamous shovel pass against the Panthers when he was on the Jets. Look at the video around 3:05 on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEKn4b13wSM

Classic BB.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-09-2013, 08:22 PM

Easy really Real Deal since like you said those were awful times....lol

Crash
01-10-2013, 01:50 AM
Bubby was solid when he had real talent around him.

He played well for Philly in 1994, and was downright dominant in Denver in 1998.

Mike Tomlin
01-10-2013, 03:16 AM
I still remember when Neil threw SB XXX vs the cowboys... I have never seen 2 interceptions thrown on the exact same play to the exact same guy overthrown both times, and nowhere near the WR.

I swore he got paid off to lose that game...

I agree he made a nobody rich and he was out the league about 2 years later lol

SuperSteelers
01-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Yep, I remember life before Ben and it looks the Steelers are heading that way even with him at QB.

Crash
01-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Arians interviewing with Arizona.

Music to Art's ears.