PDA

View Full Version : Keenan Lewis says Steelers made a mistake not locking him up

Big T
01-01-2013, 07:57 PM
"Alan Robinson@arobinson_Trib
Keenan Lewis plans to test free agency. He told #Steelers "they made a mistake" by not offering multi-year deal before 2012 season."

They made a mistake not signing someone who, prior to this season, showed absolutely nothing in terms of being even mediocre? Yikes.

igor0190
01-01-2013, 08:11 PM
They made a mistake not signing someone who, prior to this season, showed absolutely nothing in terms of being even mediocre? Yikes.

He's crazy if he thinks that teams are going to throw money at him based on half a season of stellar play. He was absolutely awful in his first couple years and you would think he would have a little bit of gratitude for the Steelers sticking with him and not cutting his ***.

If someone offers him a big contract, then let him walk. Like many other players who leave the Steelers, my bet is that his career would fade after leaving anyways.

Nolrog
01-01-2013, 08:20 PM
FYI, Corner Franchise number is estimated to be 10.6 million, transition is ~8.9 million. Hope we could work out a deal with him.

steelchamp204
01-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Wow, If this was Wallace.. O wait.

Crash
01-01-2013, 08:25 PM
No, the mistake was, as usual, letting a player rot on the bench while he's paying his "dues" to Coach LeBeau.

steelchamp204
01-01-2013, 08:28 PM
We dont need this type of guy any way, he seems self centered and cocky, right? :stirpot:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Every NFL player has an ego, his seems to be pretty damn big for someone who did nothing until this year. He'll find somebody to give him a good payday, and the Steelers will too but he's crazy if he thinks he's getting some monster *** Revis type of money.

Nolrog
01-01-2013, 08:38 PM
He's crazy if he thinks that teams are going to throw money at him based on half a season of stellar play.

Corner is a need in the NFL in general. There will definitely be a team that throws money at him. If you pardon the pun (though this is certainly intended), you can bank that one.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Lewis and Wallace are best friends.......They grew up together.......

steelchamp204
01-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Let him walk, sounds like he wants big money.

steelchamp204
01-01-2013, 08:42 PM

Its ok, We're going to lose Ben this offseason anyway. He is going to be quarterbacking the Bucs

Crash
01-01-2013, 08:44 PM
The Bucs have their franchise QB.

We'll be interesting to see what happens should Arians get a job in the NFC.

Something has to change.

1. Haley can be allowed to run HIS offense, and not Art's.

or

2. Ben goes

3. Haley goes and Fichtner is promoted and allowed to run his own offense aka the "Memphis Spread".

Status quo is not acceptable.

steelspikes
01-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Its ok, We're going to lose Ben this offseason anyway. He is going to be quarterbacking the Bucs
And this is based on?

LevonKirkland99
01-01-2013, 08:50 PM

It all make sense now. :)

steelchamp204
01-01-2013, 08:53 PM
And this is based on?

Where have you been, Crash is the insider here :lol:

LatrobePA
01-01-2013, 08:55 PM

Explains some things. I hate **** NFL players!

BlaZeQuietly
01-01-2013, 09:00 PM
We're not really serious about getting rid of big ben are we? It sure is a shame we got our selves into a mess were we can't resign any of our good young talent, I know Wallace and Lewis have been hot and cold, but they are both pretty good at what they do lose them its going to be hard finding any one of equal ability for any less than they would cost. About trading big ben, I'm assuming that was a joke, but who the hell would replace him?

LatrobePA
01-01-2013, 09:10 PM
This crash guy is out of his fn mind!

Crash
01-01-2013, 09:56 PM
"I was misquoted by a reporter saying it was a mistake not to give me a contract last year. Try to make my image look bad, but here Wat it is, I'm not money greedy, I had my exit meeting today and it went great. I know we in the right direction as far as a contract, I believe strongly I would be apart of Steeler Nation next season. To do a three peat as the number one pass defense period. Here we go"

-Keenan Lewis

In defense of Lewis, Alan Robinson has been mis-quoting and lying about players for web hits for years.

Clevelandsux
01-01-2013, 10:02 PM
i like lewis, Steelers better keep him.

Big T
01-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Good to know. I apologize if Robinson mis-quoting players is common knowledge that I was unaware of. Guess we can get this thread taken down. Good to know Keenan Lewis isn't out of his mind lol.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kiqgvn

I just want to clear this up: I never said anything about @steelers making a mistake by not signing me last season. I love the Rooneys, Organization & fans. I only stayed that my agent will handle the contract talks

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kiq5dj

polamalu43
01-01-2013, 10:28 PM
We should be able to get Lewis for a Reasonable dollar. Problem is someone out there may offer an Unreasonable Dollar.

The goal is to get the players we want under a longer term contract the year prior to hitting Free Agency. They run to the early money and we don't have other teams bidding for our guys.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-01-2013, 10:30 PM

That explains it.

greg1964
01-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Let him walk, sounds like he wants big money.
Is there any one of us who dosen't want big money: The questions is are the Steelers willing to pay BIG money for his services. Out of the Steelers UFA he is the top of the list: But at the right price. Coach Lake has turned Lewis and Allen into two very good corners. I would LOVE for the Steelers to have Taylor, Lewis, and C. Allen for the next few years, BUT if Lewis chase the money Taylor, C. Allen and Brown or some other DB will do just fine. Since Coach Lake and enter the building the Steelers have had the BEST secondary in the league. Even win TP when down, Clark and W. Allen were balling.

Omicron
01-01-2013, 11:43 PM
We should be able to get Lewis for a Reasonable dollar. Problem is someone out there may offer an Unreasonable Dollar.

The above is right on target.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2013, 11:48 PM
"I was misquoted by a reporter saying it was a mistake not to give me a contract last year. Try to make my image look bad, but here Wat it is, I'm not money greedy, I had my exit meeting today and it went great. I know we in the right direction as far as a contract, I believe strongly I would be apart of Steeler Nation next season. To do a three peat as the number one pass defense period. Here we go"

-Keenan Lewis

In defense of Lewis, Alan Robinson has been mis-quoting and lying about players for web hits for years.

I thought it was odd that he'd say something like that, he's been very humble and gracious in the past. He always gives credit to others and speaks highly of the team. I admit when I first heard it I was like WTF!

steelchamp204
01-02-2013, 12:06 AM
I thought it was odd that he'd say something like that, he's been very humble and gracious in the past. He always gives credit to others and speaks highly of the team. I admit when I first heard it I was like WTF!

All is fogiven now, now get the damn guy signed.

BstripeYpaint
03-03-2013, 02:34 PM

The goal is to get the players we want under a longer term contract the year prior to hitting Free Agency. They run to the early money and we don't have other teams bidding for our guys.

Well, March 12th is approaching fast, and we know that Keenan Lewis will be testing free agency. Does anyone care to guess which teams will show the strongest interest in him? I am wondering about two things: 1. What kind of offer might he get? and 2. What might the Steelers be willing/able to do for him?

I'm assuming he would stay if the Steelers can match, but how likely is that? We need Keenan this season.

K Train
03-03-2013, 02:41 PM
i still dont care for lewis....i think its a need to keep him unless they want to invest another pick in a CB but if he walks i really couldnt care any less. He is a feisty CB, but he can play really horribly sometimes too. I like cortez allen and curtis brown enough. If they let him walk though id imagine they will look towards rhodes in 1, amerson possibly in 2

guess im not totally on board with a CB who played like **** for his first few years and played average in his contract year

BstripeYpaint
03-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Great cover corner play gives a little more time to our pass rushers. If we lose Lewis and Harrison, I think we would have to go for that next great pass rusher in the first round. I would be delighted if we devoted the early rounds to the QB rushers & the QB protectors.

Real Deal Steel
03-03-2013, 04:02 PM
I think we have a good chance at keeping Lewis. But to lose him would also put the CB position in red alert status with the LB's situation.

Talib, Ashumunga and a few other CB's will be available in free agency. I'm hoping that there are enough CB's signed ahead of Lewis that the market drys up on him and he resigns with us for a fair market value.

Nolrog
03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
I think we have a good chance at keeping Lewis. But to lose him would also put the CB position in red alert status with the LB's situation.

No not really. Brown and Allen are more than adequate replacements and with Lewis, they have a great corner crew for the future. But LB is in a horrid position, with really 2 of the 4 positions having an urgent need.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 04:43 PM
i still dont care for lewis....i think its a need to keep him unless they want to invest another pick in a CB but if he walks i really couldnt care any less. He is a feisty CB, but he can play really horribly sometimes too. I like cortez allen and curtis brown enough. If they let him walk though id imagine they will look towards rhodes in 1, amerson possibly in 2

guess im not totally on board with a CB who played like **** for his first few years and played average in his contract year

when you look at Lewis success rate along side the high volume of attempts at him, he had an incredible season, and if he played in a different system he'd be getting the brent grimes treatment.

in the 2nd half of the 2012 season, Lewis played better football than any CB in Pittsburgh in the last 2 decades.

In fact, I think Lewis is a big reason we were able to use more man fronts. Lewis is versatile enough to play in any system. His strengths are definitely in zone coverage where he has the best read/react athletics on the team. He has an excellent ability to drop his hips and drive on the play. But he also has the rare speed and athleticism to turn and run with deep routes. He shadows very well. He doesn't have the best physical jam off the line, but his shadow coverage skills are so good that it doesn't matter much.

calling his 2012 season average is totally absurd.

the Steelers would really help themselves by having Lewis and Allen locked up long term.

if we had the cap space, I would franchise tag Lewis to give us time to work on a long term deal. I wouldn't pay him top dollar, because he hasn't proven it fully yet... but I'd be comfortable with a 4 year deal, with a total of 26 million. with about 10 guaranteed.

Year 1 : 2.0 + 2.5 B = 4.5 cap
Year 2 : 3.0 + 2.5 B = 5.5 cap
Year 3 : 5.5 + 2.5 B = 8.0 cap
Year 4 : 5.5 + 2.5 B = 8.0 cap

Real Deal Steel
03-03-2013, 04:45 PM
No not really. Brown and Allen are more than adequate replacements and with Lewis, they have a great corner crew for the future. But LB is in a horrid position, with really 2 of the 4 positions having an urgent need.

But there is no depth. Depth is the key in a 16 game season. Haven't we learned that the last few years from the LB and O-lineman positions? We are in dire need in a secondary that lacked playmakers BEFORE THIS GUY EVEN LEAVES! For the life of me, I don't undestand how the front office sees all these need areas and still refuses to use free agency in a serious manner. Atleast on major need area!! Gzzzzzzzzzzz

weakdraft
03-03-2013, 04:46 PM
You have a 53 man roster plus practice squad. The salary cap number is about 120 million, which is a little over 2 mill per player.

I'd allocate 2 mill per position. Some guys aren't worth 2 mill, some are worth more. Keenan Lewis would get 2 mill from me, if I need to pay him more, someone else can't get 2 mill.

Next to QB, CB is the most important position, and the most skilled.

I'd set a standard in stone. one mill for O-linemen, 1.5 for D-lineman, 1.5 mill for LB, 2 mill for RB and WR, 2.5 for DB's, and 4 mill for QB.

If you can't play for that, go somewhere else.

K Train
03-03-2013, 05:05 PM
when you look at Lewis success rate along side the high volume of attempts at him, he had an incredible season, and if he played in a different system he'd be getting the brent grimes treatment.

in the 2nd half of the 2012 season, Lewis played better football than any CB in Pittsburgh in the last 2 decades.

In fact, I think Lewis is a big reason we were able to use more man fronts. Lewis is versatile enough to play in any system. His strengths are definitely in zone coverage where he has the best read/react athletics on the team. He has an excellent ability to drop his hips and drive on the play. But he also has the rare speed and athleticism to turn and run with deep routes. He shadows very well. He doesn't have the best physical jam off the line, but his shadow coverage skills are so good that it doesn't matter much.

calling his 2012 season average is totally absurd.

the Steelers would really help themselves by having Lewis and Allen locked up long term.

if we had the cap space, I would franchise tag Lewis to give us time to work on a long term deal. I wouldn't pay him top dollar, because he hasn't proven it fully yet... but I'd be comfortable with a 4 year deal, with a total of 26 million. with about 10 guaranteed.

Year 1 : 2.0 + 2.5 B = 4.5 cap
Year 2 : 3.0 + 2.5 B = 5.5 cap
Year 3 : 5.5 + 2.5 B = 8.0 cap
Year 4 : 5.5 + 2.5 B = 8.0 cap

Thinking hes anything more than an average CB in the big scheme of current CBs is absurd. William gay had a sensational year for us a few years ago, his yards given up per attempt (or reception i forget the actual stat) was ungodly low and he was a tremendous tackler.

i just think its funny how everyone hates him for 4 years and now everyones like omg i love keenan lewis. Braynt Mcfadden and Williams Gay are excellent examples of CBs that looked great from time to time, especially Mcfadden...damn i thought he was gonna be a good one.

There is nothing rare about Lewis' game...his athleticism and speed are not rare even a little bit. Glad he took avantage of being given a shot at RCB, but if he wants big money id much rather he go elsewhere and fail to live up to his hype, just like mcfadden and gay did.

Good player, far from great. I always thought hed be a better fit for FS as ive always thought he compared to malcolm jenkins (a poor mans at least), but i think guys like jenkins and other CB->S converts like aaron williams and antrel rolle could play CB in our scheme too

best CB season in 2 decades is absolutely ****ing ridiculous, ike taylor put up such a great season in 2011 but no one cares since Thomas took him to school in OT. His stat-line was incredible

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Thinking hes anything more than an average CB in the big scheme of current CBs is absurd. William gay had a sensational year for us a few years ago, his yards given up per attempt (or reception i forget the actual stat) was ungodly low and he was a tremendous tackler.

i just think its funny how everyone hates him for 4 years and now everyones like omg i love keenan lewis. Braynt Mcfadden and Williams Gay are excellent examples of CBs that looked great from time to time, especially Mcfadden...damn i thought he was gonna be a good one.

There is nothing rare about Lewis' game...his athleticism and speed are not rare even a little bit. Glad he took avantage of being given a shot at RCB, but if he wants big money id much rather he go elsewhere and fail to live up to his hype, just like mcfadden and gay did.

Good player, far from great. I always thought hed be a better fit for FS as ive always thought he compared to malcolm jenkins (a poor mans at least), but i think guys like jenkins and other CB->S converts like aaron williams and antrel rolle could play CB in our scheme too

best CB season in 2 decades is absolutely ****ing ridiculous, ike taylor put up such a great season in 2011 but no one cares since Thomas took him to school in OT. His stat-line was incredible

I guess you don't watch the Coaches Film.

K Train
03-03-2013, 05:19 PM
I guess you don't watch the Coaches Film.

there is no coaches film that shows keenan lewis having elite attributes, because he doesnt. I love when people mistake the solidly good for elite and rare

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 05:37 PM
there is no coaches film that shows keenan lewis having elite attributes, because he doesnt. I love when people mistake the solidly good for elite and rare

first, there is coaches film that shows that comparing the abilities of Lewis, McFadden, and Gay would be silly. Neither of those 3 is similar if we get into specifics. Not HOW they react in zone (athletically). Not their physical attributes in coverage. McFadden was a physical guy, who had stiff hips and was terrible in play recognition. It's on tape. Gay was a good slot/nickel man, because he had quick feet and his closing speed in small spaces was excellent. But he had no shadow skills, no route discipline. The best comparison today of a current DB to one of the former guys is Curtis Brown/William Gay

second, I never said Lewis was elite. I said he has some of the rarer skills, or more specifically the rare combination of zone athleticism/IQ and cover speed and shadow ability.

Lewis has made the transition from developmental corner into starter. A lot of picks go from developmental to bust.

I think the contract i proposed both recognizes that he's an NFL starter, but pushes the big numbers a few years down the line so that he can prove himself. It's a worthy investment.

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 05:38 PM
if you bother to watch the coaches film on 1 game in regards to Lewis, i suggest the Giants game

K Train
03-03-2013, 05:52 PM
i think hes gone if they dont sign him before the 12th. Brown gets a deal worth 42 million might have screwed them out of resigning some of the young players, like lewis, who has about the same body of work comparatively as brown did

scudmissile29
03-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Banana boy, you ****ing spastic leave the forum.

Ike Taylor's 2008 season was FAR FAR FAR greater than Lewis 2nd half season.

You ****ing moron.

I can't believe some ****ing idiot would actually say a thing like that.

OMG, this forum gets more retarded by each off-season

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2013, 06:17 PM
You have a 53 man roster plus practice squad. The salary cap number is about 120 million, which is a little over 2 mill per player.

I'd allocate 2 mill per position. Some guys aren't worth 2 mill, some are worth more. Keenan Lewis would get 2 mill from me, if I need to pay him more, someone else can't get 2 mill.

Next to QB, CB is the most important position, and the most skilled.

I'd set a standard in stone. one mill for O-linemen, 1.5 for D-lineman, 1.5 mill for LB, 2 mill for RB and WR, 2.5 for DB's, and 4 mill for QB.

If you can't play for that, go somewhere else.

Please stop posting.....The NFLs players union would never agree to your ridiculous salary terms.......You're such a clown.....

acero
03-03-2013, 06:24 PM
arizona cards are going to offer him a zillion dollars

LatrobePA
03-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Lewis had an ok season. No way he's worth big money!

jimmybeesteelers
03-03-2013, 06:53 PM
First Post on this site Steelers fan all my life. My thought is offer a 4 year contract huge signing bonus (only way to keep cap low this year) 1 million this year then stair step money and load with incentives number of starts - number of interceptions - forced turnovers. I would not pay more than 6 million on any year except maybe the last. If he walks let him go we need to have a starting cornerback eventually can catch a frickin ball! But I am a cheap ars PA Dutchmen!

Real Deal Steel
03-03-2013, 06:57 PM

don't think so anymore. Wisenhunt is gone and there not embracing his ideal anymore.

K Train
03-03-2013, 07:03 PM
arians is in tho....the trend will continue

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 07:14 PM

i think the Browns will be the team to make him a substantial offer

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 07:15 PM
i think hes gone if they dont sign him before the 12th. Brown gets a deal worth 42 million might have screwed them out of resigning some of the young players, like lewis, who has about the same body of work comparatively as brown did

i agree

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Banana boy, you ****ing spastic leave the forum.

Ike Taylor's 2008 season was FAR FAR FAR greater than Lewis 2nd half season.

You ****ing moron.

I can't believe some ****ing idiot would actually say a thing like that.

OMG, this forum gets more retarded by each off-season

good rebuttal

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Keenan Lewis
stats among CBs

12th in Success Count
3rd in Passes Defended
32nd in WPA
47th in EPA (heavily affected by lack of INTs - system)

bring on the complaints about subjective stats

tburg68
03-03-2013, 07:54 PM
We love Lewis and hate Wallace................SMDH

Real Deal Steel
03-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Now that the dust has settled, I'm going to hate to see Wallace go. But..he showed such lack of interest last year that his character is probably irreparably damaged here in the burg.

Lewis we need to find a way to keep. But If he tries to force us to break the bank on him, then I think he's barking up the wrong tree.

I wonder will this be the year that the front office figures out we need to use free agency in a serious fashion on at least one position of great need?

NeilPatrickBanana
03-03-2013, 08:32 PM
I guess for me it comes down to development. quality starting CBs are hard to come by. This system takes a lot of time to learn. We've invested 4 years of development into Keenan Lewis, and this year he proved to be a very good starting corner for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I'd overpay a bit on perceived value in terms of contract to keep a guy who has clearly taken another step to being a formidable corner in this league. Rather than starting over with the next developmental guy, especially when Ike only has another year or 2 left.

Keenan Lewis is just entering his prime... pay him for those prime years. It will be worth it.

Again, this doesn't have to be a bank busting deal. If someone backs up a dump truck in cash and years, then he's gone, and that's fine. But we should be at the table with a very good offer that fits in our salary structure. Something in the 6-7 million per range, over 4-5 years with a lot of backloaded salary that would be acceptable if he reaches the next level in a few years

Here's my best offer
5 years/33 million/12.5 million guaranteed
Year 1 : 1.0+2.5=3.5 cap
Year 2 : 2.5+2.5=5.0 cap
year 3 : 4.5+2.5=7.0 cap
year 4 : 5.5+2.5=8.0 cap
year 5 : 7.0+2.5=9.5 cap