PDA

View Full Version : Steeler Draft

Dallas Burgher
01-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I saw someone predicting that the ND inside linebacker would fall to the Steelers and we would pick him. Who knows but I wonder if that would be a wise choice with Sean Spence on the roster and our need at safety. If Vacarro is available I wonder it that would be a better choice.

Big T
01-01-2013, 01:59 AM
Manti Te'o with Timmons would be the best MLB duo in the league. If by some chance he falls to 17, I don't think they hesitate unless by some miracle he and Jarvis Jones both fall to them.

jdehoff83
01-01-2013, 10:57 AM
What are the chances either one is still available? And we actually select them? Steelers passed on hightower last draft

Big T
01-01-2013, 12:01 PM
What are the chances either one is still available? And we actually select them? Steelers passed on hightower last draft

Because DeCastro was twice the prospect. And I loved Hightower. Te'o and Jones are without a doubt better prospects than Hightower was.

jdehoff83
01-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Because DeCastro was twice the prospect. And I loved Hightower. Te'o and Jones are without a doubt better prospects than Hightower was.

So if both are available who do you pick and why?

polamalu43
01-01-2013, 01:35 PM
You would have to go with the ILB if available........gotta love the draft!

Zachintosh66
01-01-2013, 01:36 PM
i would eat my hat... happily

steelchamp204
01-01-2013, 01:37 PM
There is no Way Teo will be there at 17. No ****ing way.

polamalu43
01-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Does anyone agree with me that between Keisel, Heyward and Hood........it is not good enough!! No push at all....we need a stud on the line and there are a couple beasts to be had. This is awesome...we get 4 months of planning this stuff.

Big T
01-01-2013, 02:03 PM
So if both are available who do you pick and why?

There's very little chance of either falling to 17. Having said that, it is still extremely early in the evaluation process. A lot of guys will rise and fall. Te'o could fall if he runs a bad 40, and Jones could fall if there are still questions about his spinal stenosis. For me, it would be an extremely tough decision of by some miracle both were there. This team desperately needs a pass rusher opposite if Woodley and Jones would definitely fill that void, and more. On the other hand, Te'o is my man-crush this year lol. He would benefit from Timmons being next to him and vice versa. Honestly I don't know which I'd pick. Let me get back to you in 2 months lol.

Having said that though. If either were to fall out of the top 10, I'd definitely find a way to trade up. The Steelers don't do it often but they've been known to if there's a certain player they really value (Polamalu, Holmes recently)...

cbrunn
01-01-2013, 02:04 PM
I think you would have to go with Jarvis Jones if they're both available

Pass rusher is more of a need

Yeah it would be nice to have Timmons and Te'o inside ... but the need of a pass rusher is just to great, and to have the best one in the draft fall, you couldn't pass it up

ChucktownSteeler
01-01-2013, 03:26 PM
There is no Way Teo will be there at 17. No ****ing way.

No way DeCastro will be there at 23 last year either. Anything can happen in the draft. Plenty of great defense players will be available next draft. Mingo, Okafor, Ried, Vaccaro.

Ripe for the picking.

xBlitzBurghx
01-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Trade up and get him?

Big T
01-01-2013, 03:43 PM
No way DeCastro will be there at 23 last year either. Anything can happen in the draft. Plenty of great defense players will be available next draft. Mingo, Okafor, Ried, Vaccaro.

Ripe for the picking.

Exactly. I never even considered the possibility of DeCastro falling to us. Never considered it. Stranger things have happened (Randy Moss, Aaron Rodgers, Brady Quinn, Dez Bryant). No one ever expected them to fall to 21, 24, 22, 24 respectively.

LatrobePA
01-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Manti Te'o with Timmons would be the best MLB duo in the league. If by some chance he falls to 17, I don't think they hesitate unless by some miracle he and Jarvis Jones both fall to them.

How sweet would this be?? I'm all for it!

xBlitzBurghx
01-01-2013, 03:50 PM
If we draft a LB or safety in the 1st I'll be so happy. Sick of seeing then draft DL and Ol all these years and hve little to show for it.

Nolrog
01-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Does anyone agree with me that between Keisel, Heyward and Hood........it is not good enough!! No push at all....we need a stud on the line and there are a couple beasts to be had. This is awesome...we get 4 months of planning this stuff.

I agree, however, Heyward and Hood both cost us recent #1 picks. We cannot continually waste those picks on guys who don't give us major contributions (and Hood and Heyward have not lived up to #1 billing.) That's some poor drafting.

Nolrog
01-01-2013, 04:03 PM
If we draft a LB or safety in the 1st I'll be so happy. Sick of seeing then draft DL and Ol all these years and hve little to show for it.

I agree. Although, I do think we'll be much better off with the OL (Pouncey and DeCastro) than with those picks on the DL.

coldrolled
01-01-2013, 04:29 PM
We were the #1 defense in the stats... not #32

So replacing Harrison and Foote with a #1 and #2 rounder would be good.

Offense was #21 maybe we really need a TE and a WR Megatron sized.. #3 and #4

Nolrog
01-01-2013, 04:32 PM
We were the #1 defense in the stats... not #32

Complete joke of a ranking. Few turn overs and tons of 3rd and long conversions and no pressure on the opposing QB. Look below the surface and you'll see a hell of a lot wrong there.

Offense was #21 maybe we really need a TE and a WR Megatron sized.. #3 and #4

Yeah, would be cool if we could get a pro-bowl tight end in here. /boggle.

Big T
01-01-2013, 05:24 PM
I agree, however, Heyward and Hood both cost us recent #1 picks. We cannot continually waste those picks on guys who don't give us major contributions (and Hood and Heyward have not lived up to #1 billing.) That's some poor drafting.

Heyward has played some damn good football when he's seen the field. That's the thing though, he hasn't seen it much. The Hood pick was terrible and still is, Heyward just needs to be on the field.

LatrobePA
01-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Cam is ready to start. Agreed ziggy is fn terrible!

mcfly06
01-01-2013, 06:56 PM
I saw someone predicting that the ND inside linebacker would fall to the Steelers and we would pick him. Who knows but I wonder if that would be a wise choice with Sean Spence on the roster and our need at safety. If Vacarro is available I wonder it that would be a better choice.

The one mock draft site i saw that seems pretty good, has us taking Vacarro at 17th which would be good!!

Goodfrom55
01-01-2013, 07:03 PM
With a mid first round pick, what if the steelers traded their pick, plus other picks to move up in the draft? That's how they got Troy, right?

Big T
01-01-2013, 08:03 PM
With a mid first round pick, what if the steelers traded their pick, plus other picks to move up in the draft? That's how they got Troy, right?

That's what I was saying. If Te'o and/or Jones were to fall out of the top 10, they definitely need to trade up. It wouldn't take too much.

Nolrog
01-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Heyward has played some damn good football when he's seen the field. That's the thing though, he hasn't seen it much. The Hood pick was terrible and still is, Heyward just needs to be on the field.

Heyward has been on the team 2 years now, and he still can't find the field as much as I'd like. He's going into year 3 of a 4 year contract. When is he going to get a chance? Hood is something like a 2.4 million cap hit next year. Maybe we should look to use that money for something else.

steelchamp204
01-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Heyward has been on the team 2 years now, and he still can't find the field as much as I'd like. He's going into year 3 of a 4 year contract. When is he going to get a chance? Hood is something like a 2.4 million cap hit next year. Maybe we should look to use that money for something else.

Its not Heywards fault he has Keisel in front of him, The whole Steelers nation would go into panick mode if they started Heyward over Keisel. The it would be Tomlins fault.

Nolrog
01-01-2013, 08:33 PM

I'm a proponent of that if it nets us our impact defensive player. Could be costly, but as long as it doesn't take another #1 or #2 to make the deal, we should consider it.

Nolrog
01-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Its not Heywards fault he has Keisel in front of him, The whole Steelers nation would go into panick mode if they started Heyward over Keisel. The it would be Tomlins fault.

Why would he have to start over Keisel? Couldn't he start over Hood? The two best guys should be out there.

steelchamp204
01-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Why would he have to start over Keisel? Couldn't he start over Hood? The two best guys should be out there.

You'd have to ask Tomlin/DL. The same question I also ask is, why has McLendon been starting over Hampt?

BlaZeQuietly
01-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa, I hope if you plan on using the first pick on the defensive side of the ball you plan on signing a high quality running back like Deanglo Williams or SOMEBODY, IMO RB is the most important thing to fix this off season. I know there are a lot of other places that need patching up but I'd really like to see this offense start to put up 30 points again once in a while, we've been score 13-20 ppg all season it looks like that is a DEAD offence especially with all the talent we have.

tburg68
01-01-2013, 09:39 PM
The major pass rush in a 3-4 has never come from the DE's. The problem with the lack of pressure is because Harrison/Woodley haven't been beating the OT's one on one. The Steelers need a stud OLB that can pressure the QB. The lack of turnovers can be directly linked to the lack of QB pressure. The yardage given up is overrated.

I hate Ziggy Hood. He gets shoved 4 or 5 yards up field all the time. Heyward and Kiesel should start. Rotate Al Woods at DE. Hood should be purely a 3rd down rusher/rotational DE.

jdehoff83
01-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Fml ive never paid attention to the draft really or college that much lately and i dont know any of these people.. Ive been watching highlight s all fn day

greg1964
01-01-2013, 10:36 PM
There's very little chance of either falling to 17.
I beleive we would have say that about DeCastro last year, or Mendenhall a few years back. But the question is should the Steelers draft a ILB in the 1st round. I would rather bring Foote back or give Spence a shot, and draft at some other position in the first round.

Big T
01-01-2013, 11:02 PM
I beleive we would have say that about DeCastro last year, or Mendenhall a few years back. But the question is should the Steelers draft a ILB in the 1st round. I would rather bring Foote back or give Spence a shot, and draft at some other position in the first round.

Nice job quoting me without reading my other posts in this thread, so how about this?

I never even considered the possibility of DeCastro falling to us. Never considered it. Stranger things have happened (Randy Moss, Aaron Rodgers, Brady Quinn, Dez Bryant). No one ever expected them to fall to 21, 24, 22, 24 respectively.

if Te'o is there I don't see how you can pass up on him unless, again, Jarvis Jones is there as well. After more thought, there's no way the Steelers can pass up on Jones of he's there. A relentless passrusher like Jones would be absolutely perfect in Pittsburgh. But with Te'o, he's going to be a stud LB in the league for years who will not only benefit from playing next to one of the best MLBs in the game, but will also take some pressure off Timmons and make him better in the process. Larry Foote is old and is a FA. He's not the answer. He played some decent football at times this season (particularly early) but he also played some putrid football. Spence on the other hand is a project player, even moreso nowafter his knee injury. Especially for a guy coming off a major knee injury who is undersized and relies on speed. Plus there's ZERO chance he plays the Buck which means you would have to move Timmons to Buck. Timmons is definitely capable of playing Buck but he's found his niche playing Mack and why fix what isn't broken? Te'o could come in and be the starting Buck from Day 1, and the defense would only be better, younger, and more athletic. Not to mention adding a vocal leader like Te'o would be beneficial. Obviously this would mean breaking their "special rule" about not starting rookies on defense, but with the talent Te'o is I think he'd force them to start him.

cbrunn
01-01-2013, 11:20 PM
After more thought, there's no way the Steelers can pass up on Jones of he's there.

You hit the nail on the head with that one ... If Jarvis Jones falls there is absolutely no way you could pass him up for ANYONE...

Jones is the best player in the draft to me ...

but anyway be on the lookout for ILB Andrew Jackson from Western Kentucky if he comes out ... he could slid up into the 2nd round range if he declares ... would be perfect beside Timmons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZQFoR363mw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMK4a-NcbJ4

TarlsQtr
01-01-2013, 11:57 PM
You hit the nail on the head with that one ... If Jarvis Jones falls there is absolutely no way you could pass him up for ANYONE...

Jones is the best player in the draft to me ...

but anyway be on the lookout for ILB Andrew Jackson from Western Kentucky if he comes out ... he could slid up into the 2nd round range if he declares ... would be perfect beside Timmons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZQFoR363mw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMK4a-NcbJ4

Go Hilltoppers!