PDA

View Full Version : With So Many Coaches being fired..............

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 06:03 PM
There are now a lot of good co-ordinator candidates. Like Norv Turner, like Romeo Crennell. Are there any guys out there that you think could help us out and uplift our play? I'm not saying that Crennell is the right guy to replace Lebeau but I'm less then happy with a defense that doesn't generate a lot of turnovers and when it does get that turnover, never takes it back to the house. Your thoughts?

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2012, 06:37 PM
We need an oline coach. The rest of the staff will remain unless someone gets hired away.

I wonder if mike tice gets fired...oline coach?

TarlsQtr
12-31-2012, 06:38 PM
"I think everyone is aware I'm happy with the work of Dick LeBeau. He's a special guy."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/tomlin-backs-lebeau-in-season-ending-news-conference-668503/#ixzz2GfiKVdRh

I would love to know what a DC could do to get a guy who has just intercepted/recovered a fumble to "take it back to the house."

Ed Reed was not given that ability through coaching.

Crash
12-31-2012, 06:58 PM
LeBeau isn't leaving. Tomlin would get roasted if he wanted to replace him.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 07:06 PM
Under Lebeau, when has defense ever been a playmaking defense? It's not just the players. It's a system that obviously doesn't allow the players a lot of latitude to make plays. I submit all these years as proof. It's the system that isn't conducive to playmaking.

Goodfrom55
12-31-2012, 07:11 PM
Some numbers on the 2012 defense:

Overall Rank (yardage): 1st
Vs Run: 2nd
Vs Pass: 1st
Points Allowed: 6th
3rd Down Conversions allowed: 5th
Takeaways: 12th AFC.

Most glaring issue is the lack of takeaways. I honestly believe if the Steelers resign Lewis to give them Allen, Ike, and Lewis as DB's it will allow DL to be more creative on defense with blitzes, looks, etc. The real issue IMO, is the lack of pressure from the D-Line, which falls in the lap of the D-Line Coach (Mitchell). Too much dancing, not enough pressure. If anyone should be shown the door, it should be him.

TarlsQtr
12-31-2012, 07:30 PM
Under Lebeau, when has defense ever been a playmaking defense? It's not just the players. It's a system that obviously doesn't allow the players a lot of latitude to make plays. I submit all these years as proof. It's the system that isn't conducive to playmaking.

Red herring.

My question was regarding what Lebeau should do to "coach" his players on taking it "to the house" after a turnover...

Please explain how he can make sure that Ike Taylor scores TOUCHDOWNS like Ed Reed.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Well, most of the time there not in position. Case in point, how can a cornerback make a play when Lebeau has him giving a 10 yard cushion to Greg Little. Greg Little???? That's my point. Go look at the Titans game for further proof.

TarlsQtr
12-31-2012, 07:43 PM

Your "proof?" Look below.

In 2004, they were 10th turnovers.
In 2005, 11th.
In 2006, 13th.
In 2007, 22nd
In 2008, 9th
In 2009, 26th
In 2010, 3rd

So, until the last two seasons, they have been a playmaking defense, right around the top third of the league for 5 of his 7 seasons up until 2011. (It would be even higher if the team's DBs could catch.) The "system" has not changed significantly, so your claim that it "doesn't allow the players a lot of latitude to make plays" is also absurd.

TarlsQtr
12-31-2012, 07:45 PM
Well, most of the time there not in position. Case in point, how can a cornerback make a play when Lebeau has him giving a 10 yard cushion to Greg Little. Greg Little???? That's my point. Go look at the Titans game for further proof.

Position gets you the INT or fumble recovery. It does not get you the return ability like Ed Reed has.

SteelerCountry58
12-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing Whisenhunt or Grimm brought back here in some capacity.
Especially Grimm for our O Line opening. Whiz not so much. Not really an opening for him.
He might latch onto some team as a OC.

TarlsQtr
12-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing Whisenhunt or Grimm brought back here in some capacity.
Especially Grimm for our O Line opening. Whiz not so much. Not really an opening for him.
He might latch onto some team as a OC.

Good call, I wouldn't mind seeing Grimm myself but am not sure he would come here to work for the guy that got the job he wanted.

Crash
12-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Let the past go people.

Zachintosh66
12-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Can we really put the DL and TH firings to rest... not gonna happen

LatrobePA
12-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Whiz has too big of an ego to come back. He'll be the OC in Dallas.

Zachintosh66
12-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette
“@SteelerMatt2008: @EdBouchette u think team will go after whis and grimm again?” ... No chance

TarlsQtr
12-31-2012, 11:31 PM
This is why other teams suck. There is no coach in the NFL that could have done any more than Whiz did with that awful OL. They change for the sake of change...