PDA

View Full Version : We now know our opponents for next year as well, interesting reading

Rhys Lightning 63
12-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Division games:
Bengals x 2
Ravens x 2
Browns x 2

AFC Conference games:
Patriots
Dolphins
Jets
Bills
Titans
Raiders

NFC Conference games:
Packers
Bears
Lions
Vikings

I'm not too sure how to read this. If we have to play Green Bay on the road late in the season, same goes for Chicago, then it will be tough, but I can very easily see us winning all our AFC games if we get the right mix of home and away

steelspikes
12-31-2012, 09:38 AM
You can "easily see us winning?" When has a Tomlin-led team ever won easily? It's alway a struggle.

jdehoff83
12-31-2012, 10:22 AM
You can "easily see us winning?" When has a Tomlin-led team ever won easily? It's alway a struggle.
This

scudmissile29
12-31-2012, 10:27 AM
but I can very easily see us winning all our AFC games if we get the right mix of home and away

What utter and pathetic bullshit tripe. Your credibility goes straight out the window with this quote and I'll never take you seriously again.

After an 8-8 season filled with **** results, you think we can "easily" beat the Patriots, let me tell you, when we go to Gillette next season, Brady will put a 50 on us.

From just glancing -- we can get wins from

Ravens X1
Bengals x1
Browns x2
Jets
Bills
Raiders
Lions

That's just 8 wins and that's no gimmie's under faggot Mike Tomlin.

We will get our asses handed to against the Patriots and Packers.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Hate to say it but Flame looks to be absolutely correct.

I have no confidence in Colbert knowing what he's doing to make us better. None. He's a top end drafter to me. And with Rooney still stuck in the 1970's as far as not using free agency seriously? We are fu&ked.

scudmissile29
12-31-2012, 11:25 AM

I have no confidence in Colbert knowing what he's doing to make us better. None. He's a top end drafter to me. And with Rooney still stuck in the 1970's as far as not using free agency seriously? We are fu&ked.

What do you mean, I always talk academically, usually it's very extreme, but it's the sour truth.

Flacco's still our bitch though.

Rhys Lightning 63
12-31-2012, 11:56 AM
What utter and pathetic bullshit tripe. Your credibility goes straight out the window with this quote and I'll never take you seriously again.

After an 8-8 season filled with **** results, you think we can "easily" beat the Patriots, let me tell you, when we go to Gillette next season, Brady will put a 50 on us.

From just glancing -- we can get wins from

Ravens X1
Bengals x1
Browns x2
Jets
Bills
Raiders
Lions

That's just 8 wins and that's no gimmie's under faggot Mike Tomlin.

We will get our asses handed to against the Patriots and Packers.

I'm strictly talking about or games in the AFC Conference, excluding the ones in our own division.

Pats - We have beaten New England before in the past, with and without Brady, home and away. If we get on a nice run of form, I can see us sneaking a W
Dolphins - Currently in transition, not the greatest of teams and we have beaten them in the past when it matters (anybody else remember the 3-0 win over them?)
Jets - Just in a total mess with the QB situation and the franchise in general, Santonio Holmes throwing a hissy fit when he wants, no leadership, could get a new head coach next year, will take time to adjust to a new system if they do
Bills - Shocking defence that gives up huge numbers. A healthy Ben + whatever RB we choose to use next year can tear them apart
Raiders - A team we only narrowly lost to by a FG, take out all the little things, we could very easily have beaten them
Titans - See above

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Everytime we've gone to Oakland in recent times, we lose. Call it what you want. And if you think that we can constantly keep making a living at beating the Patriots then you've been smoking something. Especially with La Beau giving 10 yard cushions to WR all the time. :rolleyes:

And the Patriots will be adding a big time WR because they will be letting Welker walk. At least that is the word on the street.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Oh..and Flacco is still our bitch. :yellowthumb:

Crash
12-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Vikings and Packers on the road.

Lions and Bears in Pittsburgh.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Bears just fired Lovie Smith.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-31-2012, 01:14 PM

If free agency was the answer then the Redskins and Cowboys should have won multi Super Bowls the last 10+ years....lol You keep harping on free agency......The Steelers have no cap room....lol They will have to restructure a bunch of contracts and cut many of their own players just to get under the cap......

With the cap room they do create I'm sure they will look to keep some of their own free agents......

Black@Gold Forever32
12-31-2012, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't mind them signing a Jeff Hartings or James Farrior type FA's like they did in years past but I don't see it happening......I would like to see them go after some top name coaches that were fired....Bring in Tony Sparano to coach the offensive line.....I would love to see Norv Turner brought in to be the OC but I don't see them dumping Haley.......

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Boy....I'd be really happy with Norv as our OC. That vertical passing game he teaches fits our personnel perfectly.

TarlsQtr
12-31-2012, 01:59 PM
If free agency was the answer then the Redskins and Cowboys should have won multi Super Bowls the last 10+ years....lol

Yeah, but those two great free agent additions from this past season, RGIII and Alfred Morris, have propelled them to the division championship for the first time since 1999. They are living proof that free-agency works.

What's that? They were not free-agents? Never mind...

The Steelers have no cap room....lol

What is that? Is that reality calling? You are absolutely correct. We are not going to get A List free-agents to come here and play for a case of Chiclets.

Working the draft has kept us consistently in the conversation for being one of the best teams in the league. Making changes out of panic for a bad season is what bad teams do, not the Steelers.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Boy....I'd be really happy with Norv as our OC. That vertical passing game he teaches fits our personnel perfectly.

No it doesn't

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 02:10 PM
If you notice, I said use free agency a little bit. I"m not saying go all in. Just use it to address a hole or two. I don't believe in hog wild free agent spending. But used correctly, it is a useful tool.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 02:12 PM
No it doesn't

Yes it does. It fits the personnel better then what Haley's offense is doing. That's my point. We have WR's that get it done vertically (I'm including Wallace in that assessment as of right now).

TarlsQtr
12-31-2012, 02:21 PM
If you notice, I said use free agency a little bit. I"m not saying go all in. Just use it to address a hole or two. I don't believe in hog wild free agent spending. But used correctly, it is a useful tool.

Which is what the Steelers have been doing, filling a "hole or two." (Cotch, Mewelde Moore, etc.) So, what's your point?

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Yes it does. It fits the personnel better then what Haley's offense is doing. That's my point. We have WR's that get it done vertically (I'm including Wallace in that assessment as of right now).

Well, Wallace will be gone. Regardless, his poor route running would be even more exposed in an Air Coryell offense. Antonio Brown is the classic quick strike West Coast offense WR. I don't think he'd be a bad fit in a vertical offense, but you still lack the necessary #1 you need to make that offense work. TE is a critical component, and as much as I love Heath, he is not the vertical threat TE you need to expose defenses. The Steelers are essentially missing the 2 most important components of a "norv turner" offense besides the QB (#1 wr and a vertical TE).

Speaking of QB...

Norv Turner's offense and Ben Roethlisberger would be a terrible mix. You really think Ben would be a good fit in a "timing and rhythm" offense? Throwing deep down the sidelines? I mean, these aren't exactly his strengths.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Which is what the Steelers have been doing, filling a "hole or two." (Cotch, Mewelde Moore, etc.) So, what's your point?
Come on Tarlsqtr, your killing me dude. Cotch was a 3/4 WR. Mewelde Moore..come on.

I'm talking about fixing a real area of need with free agency. Like a top notch cornerback. Like a legit safety.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Come on Tarlsqtr, your killing me dude. Cotch was a 3/4 WR. Mewelde Moore..come on.

I'm talking about fixing a real area of need with free agency. Like a top notch cornerback. Like a legit safety.

Top notch corners command a king's ransom......The Steelers won't have the cap room to make such a move....They will be lucky to resign Keenan Lewis...........

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 03:09 PM
I hear ya. But that's what I'm saying..use free agency to address ONE major need of area. Just one..two at the most. Like I said, I"m not for hog wild spending in free agency but we should use it to address atleast ONE major area of concern.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2012, 03:13 PM
I hear ya. But that's what I'm saying..use free agency to address ONE major need of area. Just one..two at the most. Like I said, I"m not for hog wild spending in free agency but we should use it to address atleast ONE major area of concern.

Keenan Lewis is a free agent. And he's a stud. Does re-signing him count?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-31-2012, 03:13 PM

If the Steelers didn't have so much money tied up to their own aging defensive stars.........Troy, Harrison, Woodley, Ike........Woodley is still young but at this point I question his dedication.....Woodley comes into camp in terrible shape and even Keith Butler called him out for it.......

TarlsQtr
12-31-2012, 03:15 PM

Which brings us back to the original point by B&G Forever, you need cap space to do that. The "top notch cornerbacks" make between $7-$11 million (base salaries). Safeties are above $5 million. You are back to fantasyland...

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2012, 03:19 PM
If the Steelers didn't have so much money tied up to their own aging defensive stars.........Troy, Harrison, Woodley, Ike........Woodley is still young but at this point I question his dedication.....Woodley comes into camp in terrible shape and even Keith Butler called him out for it.......

The Woodley contract was a huge mistake.

Remember when we used to let players walk... We are paying the price of keeping this defense together for too long. We can't afford Mike Wallace because of it. And we could lose our best DB because of it (Lewis).

Woodley, Harrison, Troy and Ike count 43 million against the cap... sure we will restructure, and push problems into the future... maybe cut Harrison. But still, we should not be in a position where over 30% of our cap is wrapped up in injury prone/aging players.

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Which brings us back to the original point by B&G Forever, you need cap space to do that. The "top notch cornerbacks" make between $7-$11 million (base salaries). Safeties are above $5 million. You are back to fantasyland...

Not fantasy land my friend. Steelers could creatively do it if they wished. But it would have to be someone that filled a major need. Other the that, it wouldn't be worth it.

TarlsQtr
12-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Not fantasy land my friend. Steelers could creatively do it if they wished. But it would have to be someone that filled a major need. Other the that, it wouldn't be worth it.

If they can do it, show me how they get $10 million for a "top notch CB" without creating another gaping hole somewhere else. It is easy to say, "they can do it", much more difficult to actually ACHIEVE the impossible.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2012, 04:10 PM

nope, you're in fantasy land

The Salary Cap is a real thing, with numbers and math. Check it out.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-31-2012, 04:24 PM
I really doubt Mike Wallace will be franchised or resigned so I hope they can somehow keep Keenan Lewis.......

NeilPatrickBanana
12-31-2012, 04:26 PM
I really doubt Mike Wallace will be franchised or resigned so I hope they can somehow keep Keenan Lewis.......

Agreed. Wallace is going to hit Free Agency.
Unfortunately, Lewis is a goner if he makes it to Free Agency. But I think there is a chance we re-sign him before he hits the market.

LevonKirkland99
12-31-2012, 04:36 PM
another 8-8 season...yay!!