PDA

View Full Version : Tough Season, Wheres What I think Needs to be Done this Off Season.

BlaZeQuietly
12-30-2012, 11:36 PM
There sure is a lot of room for improvement. Some people may be panicked, and with good reason, we played a sloppy season, we wasted a lot of opportunities and it was obvious our management did a **** poor job planning for this season. Ultimately we just didn't play well and even if we had made the play offs, I doubt we could have beat the best of the AFC, especially the Bronco's or Patriots at home. However, I think it is safe to say the reason we missed the playoffs is because we didn't plan ahead and have a good back up for big ben. If we had, we could have pulled off victories against the Ravens and Browns, and maybe even given Ben sufficient time to heal and beaten the chargers. That would have at least gotten us into the play offs, but having Leftwich and Batch for back up was just not enough. Either way, this team was going to need major changes this off season. Here is what we definitely can keep for next season:
1. Mike Tomlin - - Got us to 2 super bowls need I say more?
2. Ben Roethlisberger - - Needs to find a better shot caller, but with the right OC he could be MVP material.
3. Heath Miller - - Team MVP
4. Antonio Brown - - The Future
5. Ike Taylor - - Under Rated
6 Id like us to resign Kennan Lewis as well he is great at what he does, he and Ike are a good combo.
7. Chris Rainey
So that's about it
Here's Where I have my doubts
1. Dick Lebeau, I think he might finally need to go, On paper the defense looked pretty good, but watching them play was painful, they don't force fumbles, they don't pressure quarterbacks, they certainly don't sack quarterbacks, very predictable, not as good as people think.
2. Todd Haley, he's not that bad but he either needs to change the game plan, or get out. Big Ben doesn't like his play calling, and neither does anyone else. At the beginning of the year it seemed like it would work, but not. Then again, if he had a good half back to work with his job would be easier, that's why maybe he should get another chance.
3. Emmanual Sanders, The guy is good, needs to learn better ball control through
4. Jonathon Dwyer, I think we have a use for him, but he is NOT a number 1 running back.
5. Isaac Redman, great blocking running back, could make a good full back, but still not our number 1.
Heres who NEEDS to go.
1. Mike Wallace, He's fast but he can't catch, needs to be let go to free up cap space.
2. Mendenhall, This guy sucks, sorry, but he sucks
3. Our Entire Offensive Line can be traded for anything.
4. Major overhaul on special teams, Rainey's a good returnerm besides for him, dump em all.

So reform our O-line and Special Teams as much as possible, but what about the draft? What should we address, the last couple years we've tried to address our offensive line and special teams it seems, that hasn't worked out so well. I think we really need to trade up somehow, either trade up with Wallace, or someone else expendable to get a very high draft pick, I mean ridiculously dramatic and draft the BEST HALF BACK POSSIBLE, we need our offensive to no longer be so one dimensional, we need a serious threat at running back, I think that would help our team more than anything, of course it wont mean much if we don't fix our o-line as well. But Dwyer, Redman, Mendy and Rainey are all just not scary at all, time to start looking like the steelers again. Get a great running back and Roethlisberger gets so much better, it takes pressure off the rest of our offence and makes Todd Haley's job (or whoever is our OC next season) a LOT easier.... Thoughts?

p.s sorry for the typo in the title... I mean't "here's" lol

eweid
12-31-2012, 12:11 AM
I think your a little crazy. Entire offensive line really? How about Pouncey? The best center in the game and you want to trade him? We have Decastro coming back. Colon is still very solid yet.,.

BlaZeQuietly
12-31-2012, 12:23 AM
Yeah, the entire offensive line. Might as well, Adrian Peterson couldn't run behind this line. There may be a few fight spots, but might as well just junk the whole line, seriously they create a domino effect that makes our passing game not as good as it could be and our running game worse than it needs to be. They suck, so does Mendenhall.

ChucktownSteeler
12-31-2012, 12:25 AM
The line just needs to stay healthy and I think we need 2 or 3 good running backs brought in.

xBlitzBurghx
12-31-2012, 12:47 AM
If the Steelers have another crappy season next year do we still keep Tomlin?

Real Deal Steel
12-31-2012, 12:51 AM
The line just needs to stay healthy and I think we need 2 or 3 good running backs brought in.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...it's much more then just that. Because for all the talent these draft picks are suppose to have, they are not getting it done even when healthy. We need a new O-line coach with new schemes and new conditioning for the O-linemen.

BlaZeQuietly
12-31-2012, 01:13 AM
Yeah we keep Tomlin, It would take a lot to make me say otherwise.

Farrior Fan
01-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Lebeau? really? You do realize the job of the defense is to prevent the other team from scoring points right? The team with the most points wins. Its not about feeling, style, flair, or any other damn thing. Its about points. Well we gave up fewer points than any other AFC team except the Broncos.

This arguement is so old and without any merit.

TarlsQtr
01-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Lebeau? really? You do realize the job of the defense is to prevent the other team from scoring points right? The team with the most points wins. Its not about feeling, style, flair, or any other damn thing. Its about points. Well we gave up fewer points than any other AFC team except the Broncos.

Finally, some reason. Thank you.

North Steel
01-01-2013, 12:48 PM

:bigthumb:

NYCsteelersfan
01-01-2013, 01:17 PM

Without merit and completely nonsensical. I also agree that the defense doesn't force enough turnovers, but people calling for LeBeau to be fired for a lack of turnovers would be like calling for the firing of an offensive coach because he leads the league in scoring without calling enough deep passes.

NYCsteelersfan
01-01-2013, 01:30 PM
And blaming the absence of a "good" backup for the reason we missed the playoffs is a poor excuse. The team went 1-2 without Roethlisberger. Who's to say another backup or even Roethlisberger himself could've done better considering the team lost to the Browns, Titans and Oakland with Roethlisberger? Even if both the losses without Roethlisberger were wins, this team would still be 10-6, which is only slightly less pathetic than 8-8.

BlaZeQuietly
01-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Sorry but I'd like to see us force some fumbles, sack some quarterbacks, intercept some passes you know, the things the GREAT defenses of the NFL do. I agree we don't let up very many points, but the lack of takeaways is a bigger deal than you think. How many times would have it been great to get a BIG turn over at the end of a game in OUR favor. Seems like other teams have no problem doing it to us. Lebeau is fine, I didn't say to fire him, I just said I have my doubts.

TarlsQtr
01-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Sorry but I'd like to see us force some fumbles, sack some quarterbacks, intercept some passes you know, the things the GREAT defenses of the NFL do. I agree we don't let up very many points, but the lack of takeaways is a bigger deal than you think. How many times would have it been great to get a BIG turn over at the end of a game in OUR favor. Seems like other teams have no problem doing it to us. Lebeau is fine, I didn't say to fire him, I just said I have my doubts.

What is better? A team that gives up 180 points and collects 20 turnovers or one that gives up 300 points and collects 35 turnovers? Turnovers are nice but points are king.

BlaZeQuietly
01-01-2013, 10:07 PM
What is better? A team that gives up 180 points and collects 20 turnovers or one that gives up 300 points and collects 35 turnovers? Turnovers are nice but points are king.

Here's the thing, a lot of times turn overs turn into points, especially when it occurs deep within an opponents territory To answer your question a team that gives up 300 points in a season is still holding their opponents to less than 20, and if we could convert 1/4 of our turn overs into touch downs that's almost an extra 7 points per game, not to mention more turn overs means the ball is out of the other teams hands so they will in effect score less often so I highly doubt that if we did have 35 turn overs a season that we would give up 300 points, that's pure speculation. So let me ask you a question what would you rather have a team that gives up 180 points per season and forces 20 turn overs or a team that gives up 180 points per season and forces 35 turn overs? I'll take the extra 7 ppg, we would have been like 12-4 in that case.

Nolrog
01-02-2013, 07:40 AM
3. Our Entire Offensive Line can be traded for anything.

So you're just going to crap away two recent #1 picks and two recent #2 picks, including a pro bowl center for just anything. /sigh. It's this kind of hyperbole that makes me dismiss the rest of your post.

Real Deal Steel
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Steelers were 25th in turnovers. And 26th in rushing offense.

Those areas need to get fixed.

If I could get Ray Horton out of Arizona to run this defense, I would.

BlaZeQuietly
01-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Oh you mean that guy who broke as soon as he signed with us, probably snapped his ankle signing the damn papers so YEAH DUMP THEM ALL. Hows that?