PDA

View Full Version : Injury means Wallace may have played his last game as a Steeler

ChucktownSteeler
12-28-2012, 04:41 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/injury-means-wallace-may-have-played-his-last-game-with-steelers-668166/

Clevelandsux
12-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Later u quitting mfer!

Goodfrom55
12-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Could be a peek into the future should the Steelers decide not to aggressively go after Wallace.

Hoping not to open the can again, but I hope he is franchised / resigned.

LatrobePA
12-28-2012, 04:54 PM
I didn't see this coming! When did he get hurt?? Oh well he'll be gone and what will we have to show? Should of traded his *** instead of letting him walk!

scudmissile29
12-28-2012, 05:07 PM
I didn't see this coming! When did he get hurt?? Oh well he'll be gone and what will we have to show? Should of traded his *** instead of letting him walk!

yep, but management are retarded and kept him

Crash
12-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Ben, Wallace, and Arians all reunite in 2013.

Not as far fetched as one thinks.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Ben, Wallace, and Arians all reunite in 2013.

Not as far fetched as one thinks.

The idea alone that Ben could be playing for another team in 2013 is so far beyond far fetched, it should be classified as outer fetched.

oh wait... were you insinuating that Wallace gets re-signed and Tomlin gets fired, and Arians is hired as the Steelers head coach? That would only be normal far fetched... lol

LatrobePA
12-28-2012, 05:25 PM
yep, but management are retarded and kept him

Very stupid move and one that will put us 3 years behind on that pick! They just keep adding up!

Big T
12-28-2012, 05:25 PM
oh wait... were you insinuating that Wallace gets re-signed and Tomlin gets fired, and Arians is hired as the Steelers head coach? That would only be normal far fetched... lol

That scenario is absolutely ridiculous... But you're absolutely right, it's far less far-fetched than his.

Crash
12-28-2012, 05:28 PM
You see Rooney paying Ben the $60 mil guaranteed Brees just got?

How about the $58 million guaranteed Peyton just got?

Ben's younger, Ben wins more rings than they do.

$19.6 million cap hit for Ben next season.

Only real way to lower that is with a new contract and more money.

LatrobePA
12-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Ben will retire a Steeler! No way they let him walk, he'll get his money to stay!

Big T
12-28-2012, 05:33 PM
You're contract argument holds no water. A simple restructuring of his contract takes care of the cap situation. It's not that difficult to understand lol.

Crash
12-28-2012, 05:38 PM
He's only got three years left under contract at cap hits at almost $20 million each season.

A base salary turned into a bonus isn't the cure all with only three years left.

An EXTENSION, with the money he'd get with it, is the only real answer.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-28-2012, 05:46 PM

If someone clued you in to the fact that the basis for your opinion is flawed, would you then re-assess your opinion?

I'm betting not.

The Steelers can easily lower his cap hit by converting his 2013 salary into bonus money which then gets spread over the remaining 3 seasons on his contract.

Crash
12-28-2012, 05:52 PM
The Steelers can easily lower his cap hit by converting his 2013 salary into bonus money which then gets spread over the remaining 3 seasons on his contract.

And then what? Same problem in 2013 and 2014.

Sooner or later, if the Rooney's REALLY want to keep Ben around, they are going to have to pay him.

If they give Ben $10 million up front? His cap hit for 2012 is still about $13 million.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-28-2012, 05:55 PM
He's only got three years left under contract at cap hits at almost $20 million each season.

A base salary turned into a bonus isn't the cure all with only three years left.

An EXTENSION, with the money he'd get with it, is the only real answer.
S = Salary
SB = Signing Bonus
MB = Misc Bonus
C = Cap hit
2013 Current S=11.6, SB=5.2, MB=3.8, C=20.6
2014 Current S=12.1, SB=0, MB=3.8, C=15.9
2015 Current S=11.6, SB=0, MB=3.8 C=15.4

Restructure. Take 10 million of 2013 Salary and convert to Signing Bonus. New 3 year cap structure:
2013 Current S=1.6, SB=8.5, MB=3.8, C=13.9 (6.7 cap savings)
2014 Current S=12.1, SB=3.3, MB=3.8, C=19.2
2015 Current S=11.6, SB=3.3, MB=3.8 C=18.7

coldrolled
12-28-2012, 06:06 PM
The numbers are crazy... my co. runs 63 employees on 4 million... wow...

just a reality check....

ChucktownSteeler
12-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Nice thread hi-jack.

Nolrog
12-28-2012, 08:45 PM

The franchise tag for a WR is projected to be ~10.4 million dollars. 1) He's not worth anywhere near that and 2) there's no way we could pay him that much anyway.

I do think they will make an effort to resign him, but ultimately, he'll wind up in Arizona or Indy.

jdehoff83
12-28-2012, 09:45 PM
The way the article reads hes still on that show me the money bs.. ultimately his performance this yr will prohibit him from making huge money... looks like TO cancer in the making...deuces wallace

Zachintosh66
12-28-2012, 09:59 PM
this thread was about Wallace... this thread has jumped the shark

LevonKirkland99
12-29-2012, 02:23 AM
Could be a peek into the future should the Steelers decide not to aggressively go after Wallace.

Steelers not going to franchise him according to the post-gazette article...It should be interesting to see what the Steelers front office will do regarding Wallace on the off season.

Seems that Steeler fans are divided whether he should remain a Steeler or not...

Zachintosh66
12-29-2012, 04:45 AM
Let him bounce... Much more headache than an offer... Speed dont matter when you cant catch the ball

(Our other WRs can catch, just cant hold on to it)

He played himself out of "Larry Fitz" or even "AB" $

Someone like Miami will throw money at him and he will be obsolete in about 3 years...

Steelers win this cautionary tale... Could be a while before someone in Black and Gold decides to "holdout" again.

polamalu43
12-29-2012, 05:15 AM
I see Ben signing a 2 or 3 year extention that will be cap friendly. Wallace is going to go for the $$. Now I need to sell 4 number 17 jerseys. I am all for keeping our guys but he won't accept a nickel under another offer in my opinion.

Emotions aside Wallace goes and we draft or sign relative cheap FA.

Anyone see Greg Jennings as a viable option?

Mike Tomlin
12-29-2012, 10:51 AM
I think Wallace will be back but if we were to have a chance at getting Jones-Drew out of Jacksonville , I'd let Mike go and pay him. Besides running backs aren't commanding as much money as wide receivers these days.Through all the stuff that has been said I think Ownership in Jacksonville is ready to start over and would let him go for cheap. I mean they waited until the last game of the season to IR him lol. The guy would be great for our team.

Crash
12-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Let him bounce... Much more headache than an offer... Speed dont matter when you cant catch the ball

(Our other WRs can catch, just cant hold on to it)

He played himself out of "Larry Fitz" or even "AB" $

Someone like Miami will throw money at him and he will be obsolete in about 3 years...

Steelers win this cautionary tale... Could be a while before someone in Black and Gold decides to "holdout" again.

Wallace wasn't a hold out, he was a free agent.

Hines Ward held out in 2005, and he was rewarded with the highest contract in team history.

Get7With7
12-29-2012, 12:35 PM
I think Wallace will be back but if we were to have a chance at getting Jones-Drew out of Jacksonville , I'd let Mike go and pay him. Besides running backs aren't commanding as much money as wide receivers these days.Through all the stuff that has been said I think Ownership in Jacksonville is ready to start over and would let him go for cheap. I mean they waited until the last game of the season to IR him lol. The guy would be great for our team.

Why trade one holdout for another? That makes no sense. Besides, how much gas does MJD have in the tank. Obviously, the Steelers need an upgrade at RB, but he's not the guy and he's not worth losing Wallace over.

Mike Tomlin
12-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Why trade one holdout for another? That makes no sense. Besides, how much gas does MJD have in the tank. Obviously, the Steelers need an upgrade at RB, but he's not the guy and he's not worth losing Wallace over.

Well to me it makes plenty of sense. Believe me I don't want to see Wallace go at all, but if he did this would be the move I would want to see happen. MJD just led the league in rushing last year if I'm not mistaken so I don't even know why that was a question. I mean if we're not going to give the money to Wallace then lets pay a legitamate running back.Also Wallace didn't hold out , he did exactly what he should have done. Why play in meaningless preseason games and risk blowing out a knee and not get a deal from anyone. Again the FO knows what this guy is capable of and he never asked for Fitz money as many keep saying. I think he'll be back.

Goodfrom55
12-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Miller are more than enough to establish a solid passing game. Would be nice to have a bigger WR to go to; Steelers already have the speed guys in Brown and Sanders, but need a "Plax" type of WR. Would be nice to have Wesley Saunders as an extra TE right about now, because chances are Heath won't be ready for the start of the season.

I like Wallace, but after reading the article this morning, there is probably a 10 percent chance they sign him. His performance this year played himself out of an elite contract. Unless he goes to a team with an elite QB, he will eventually erode into what Randle El was with the Redskins.

Crash
12-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Randle El wasn't that good to begin with, comparing Wallace to him is silly.

Wallace could end up in Indy, he could end up in Denver, he IMO will end up in New England.

steelchamp204
12-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Ben needs a BIG receiver he can just throw the ball up to. Plax? Yea, but younger please.

Crash
12-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Nope, that's not even it.

What Ben needs is an organization that values his ability.

In Pittsburgh, or somewhere else.

The defense gets all the money, the offense gets constant change.

Real Deal Steel
12-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Crash, I love your passion. But you over the top.

Ben is loved in Pittsburgh. And by the fan base. But he's not perfect. And just because he's criticized doesn't mean we don't want him.

Ben won't be going anywhere. You don't let franchise QB's walk unless you get another.

We will fix the O-line, get the running game going, and that will be the best way to keep Ben free from injury. Ben is loved.

So stop being pissed my friend. I'm criticizing you right now Crash. But I still love you dude. Peace.

LatrobePA
12-29-2012, 03:34 PM
You'd be surprised, Ben isn't that loved as a person in this city.

Crash
12-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Nope, he isn't. Steelers fans OUTSIDE Pittsburgh value Ben more than the local folk.

All because of rumors and false allegations, and the fact he isn't from Pittsburgh.

Unlike suspected gang raper Charlie Batch, who could run for Mayor and win.

polamalu43
12-29-2012, 04:14 PM
I enjoy my Steelers and will ride with Ben for another 5 years.

LevonKirkland99
12-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Miller are more than enough to establish a solid passing game. Would be nice to have a bigger WR to go to; Steelers already have the speed guys in Brown and Sanders, but need a "Plax" type of WR. Would be nice to have Wesley Saunders as an extra TE right about now, because chances are Heath won't be ready for the start of the season.

I like Wallace, but after reading the article this morning, there is probably a 10 percent chance they sign him. His performance this year played himself out of an elite contract. Unless he goes to a team with an elite QB, he will eventually erode into what Randle El was with the Redskins.

Well said... Randel El does pregame shows now on comcast for the Skins...Dont be surprised if the Deadskins go after wallace as Danny boy has deep pockets

Crash
12-29-2012, 04:19 PM
We have deep pockets also. If we wanted Wallace he'd be signed.

Speeed
12-29-2012, 04:52 PM
And we would watch a protected Brady slinging slants to him for 10 yards and him running for at least 20 more on a regular basis, with many of those ending up as TD's I am sure. The Steelers could have done that too, but something tells me Belichick will work that out much better than the Steelers were able to.

Randle El wasn't that good to begin with, comparing Wallace to him is silly.

Wallace could end up in Indy, he could end up in Denver, he IMO will end up in New England.

polamalu43
12-29-2012, 05:31 PM
I see Wallace on 3 teams..........and it won't be AZ as he needs the ball and they don't have a QB!

Indy - New rookie QB with Reggie Wayne having a couple years left.
NE - Welker let walk
SF - need a wide out

Other possibles - Carolina, Miami, Sea

steelers4life66
12-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Wallace is gone. The way Brown steped up this year just re insures that.

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Why does the NFL team owners have to hire all these thug players in the first place? It's time to clean this up. Really beginning to really stink.

LatrobePA
12-29-2012, 09:21 PM

I'm not 100% sold on Brown... He's got some growing up to do!

Zachintosh66
12-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Wallace wasn't a hold out, he was a free agent.

Restricted... and he held out for a long term contract before signing his tender

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Wallace was placed on IR along with Curtis Brown...So yeah, a bad ending to his time in Pittsburgh unless he decides to alter his financial expectations for the Rooney's.

Speeed
12-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Hell, in that case I will take Welker. That guy is a ball magnet.

I see Wallace on 3 teams..........and it won't be AZ as he needs the ball and they don't have a QB!

Indy - New rookie QB with Reggie Wayne having a couple years left.
NE - Welker let walk
SF - need a wide out

Other possibles - Carolina, Miami, Sea

Big T
12-29-2012, 10:47 PM

Stepped up this year? When? He made some huge mistakes this year. None of the three receivers stepped up this year. Hard to have faith in the receiving corps, especially with the potential of Wallace leaving. Is anyone honestly confident in Brown and Sanders starting? Believe me, I like them both, they are great complimentary receivers, but neither of them has shown any reason to have confidence in them getting more time going forward. If we lose Wallace, we are going to have to use a high pick on a WR because you know damn well they won't sign one.

scudmissile29
12-29-2012, 11:36 PM

I hate Wallace, enough to give any excuse to hate on him, but Brown made me worried.

He's definitely not a #1 WR right now, he needs to become more of a target, do we give him one more year or go look for a #1 WR?

LatrobePA
12-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Wallace will be a dolphin in 2013... That's my prediction!

Crash
12-30-2012, 02:23 AM
Restricted... and he held out for a long term contract before signing his tender

Um, no, he was a free agent. There was no contract. Perfectly within his right.

Crash
12-30-2012, 02:24 AM
I like Brown as a starter but not Sanders.

steelchamp204
12-30-2012, 02:57 AM
I think if he doesnt resign, He will be a Redskin or Colt.

Nolrog
12-30-2012, 12:13 PM

Restricted and once the Free Agency period was over, he could either play for the tender or not play at all (basically a pseudo contract, which he held out from until the last possible minute.)