PDA

View Full Version : Management doesn't know what they're doing

scudmissile29
12-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Apparently we are $6 over the Cap for next season.

Congratulations management, you bankroll on this season and we won't be higher than .500 and probably end up 7-9. ****ing dick****s.

Such a desperation move.

- Don't want rookies to play until their 26/27 on defense (Lewis will be 27 next season, he's not a young pup)
- McLendon will turn 27 by week 1
- This method needs to go

- Not signing free-agents (top tier ones) - Needs to go. I don't mean to sign a star every off-season but to nab one or two down the line can't hurt.

They need to be gone.

Crash
12-27-2012, 05:04 PM
And here's more great news. LeBeau is coming back.

Get7With7
12-27-2012, 05:20 PM
You're saying the Steelers are only $6 million over the cap? I thought it was closer to $15 million....

But yes, this thing with benching rookies until their third years is getting ridiculous. Rookies on other teams are making immediate impacts. The Steelers need to get with the times.

Real Deal Steel
12-27-2012, 05:24 PM
But we have cornball posters like Tarlstr running around talking about signing free agents and not playing rookies until their third year is the best way to do things. :rolleyes:

lancer89074
12-27-2012, 05:32 PM
To sign Brown to a long term contract and snub Wallace led to some bad blood. That was one mistake.

To hire Haley who has communication problems with players has negatively affected this offense. That was mistake number two.

To have Hines Ward leave the team left a leadership vacuum. Perhaps to reward him with a job as a receivers' coach would have been a proper thing to do or at least offer it. To diss a guy who has given his heart and soul to the franchise does not endear the franchise to any of the players. His reward for grooming the younger players... zip.

It seems we have been rebuilding our secondary and offensive line for many years now. No answers in sight.

I could go on and on but... Hey have a happy holiday and it is not worth it to obsess over a bad season. Life has more to offer.

Big T
12-27-2012, 05:35 PM
The salary cap is a complete joke. Every year people make a big deal about being over the cap, and every year they are under it without barely any personnel moves. Restructuring Timmons, Woodley, Ben (yes Crash, Ben will still be here) will already get a under and there are other contracts that can be restructured. I love seeing people get so worked up about the cap like it's this impossible riddle. Restructuring Timmons, Woodley, and Roethlisbeger will cut our cap number by 18.5 mil, putting us 4.5 below the cap. That's just be restructuring 3 contracts. It'll be fine lol.

As we head into the final week of the 2012 season the Steelers currently have 34 players under contract for 2013 that will count $127,330,089.00 million against the cap, which is obviously roughly $6 million or so over the projected 2013 cap limit.

There is currently another $461,541 in dead money on the books for 2013 in addition to the above.

We can safely speculate that the 5 restricted free agents and the 2 exclusive rights free agents will all be tendered. The levels are of course open to debate, but for this early look we will go at the minimum projected levels for each which totals out at a projected $7.71 million.

This brings our projected total for 41 players and the dead money at a little over $135.5 million, or roughly $14 million over the cap.

So how will Omar Khan work his magic on this?

Let's start with LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons. Both will once again be restructured like they were this past offseason. Those projected restructures of their base salaries and the $2.5 million roster bonus due Timmons will easily clear roughly $11.5 million in cap space. I have wrote about this in the past and fully expect this to happen.

Ben Roethlisberger can be restructured once again without issue which should clear at most another $7 million in cap space. That figure is based on turning $10 million of his $11.6 million base into signing bonus. This is roughly what they did last season with him and there is no reason to think that it would not happen again.

With those three restructures done we have cleared roughly $18.5 million in cap space.

James Harrison is the big elephant in the room this offseason that needs his $10.035 million cap charge in 2013 addressed. Merely cutting Harrison will clear $5.105 million in cap space. There will not be a restructure I do not believe and I doubt they will go to him and ask him to take a pay cut. This is just the ugly side of the business.

Willie Colon is also somewhat of an elephant that will need to be addressed as well. Cutting him outright will save $1.2 million and it is something the Steelers really need to think about doing based on his injury history now. Had he stayed healthy this year he would have been safer.

Between those five moves we have cleared nearly $25 million in cap space which would have the Steelers roughly $11 million under the cap with only 14 roster spots left to fill against the cap, of which half will likely be draft picks.

Keep in mind that the Steelers will be able to roll over any unused cap space from this year, which figures to be around $3 million or so. I will have that number after the season is over. In addition, the Steelers will have (3) $250,000 veteran credits totaling $750,000 that can be used on veteran players as we get closer to the final roster cut down day.

If everything goes as I listed above the Steelers should be fine as far as cap space goes. Once again they will not be active in free agency outside of trying to sign a few of their own unrestricted players and one or two veteran bargains.

There might be a cap casualty or two of the players under contract below and the two obvious candidates would be Jerricho Cotchery and Brett Keisel. Those two, if released, would clear $3.835 million, but it might not have to come to that.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/steelers-2013-salary-cap-numbers/

Big T
12-27-2012, 06:01 PM
To sign Brown to a long term contract and snub Wallace led to some bad blood. That was one mistake.

To hire Haley who has communication problems with players has negatively affected this offense. That was mistake number two.

To have Hines Ward leave the team left a leadership vacuum. Perhaps to reward him with a job as a receivers' coach would have been a proper thing to do or at least offer it. To diss a guy who has given his heart and soul to the franchise does not endear the franchise to any of the players. His reward for grooming the younger players... zip.

It seems we have been rebuilding our secondary and offensive line for many years now. No answers in sight.

I could go on and on but... Hey have a happy holiday and it is not worth it to obsess over a bad season. Life has more to offer.

I don't have the time/don't want to take the time that it would take to reply to all of your points, but I can't ignore your point about the offensive line or secondary. No answers in sight? Seriously? How about Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis playing legitimate Pro Bowl caliber football? How about Cortez Allen showing that he can be a damn good 3rd corner, not to mention a pretty damn solid starting corner? How about Ryan Clark having a career, Pro Bowl year? Sure Troy was hurt, but he still showed against Cincy that he is capable of being his old self. Obviously we need to address the safety position soon...But the secondary, for the first time in as long as I can remember, is a strength of this team. There's a reason they were the #1 team against the pass with absolutely ZERO pass rush help. That secondary with a pass rush could be downright lethal.

Now to the offensive line. That may be an even bigger head-scratcher. Do you really see no answers in sight? Not in our 3rd year, 3 time Pro Bowl, 2 time All Pro (so far) center, Maurkice Pouncey? Not in our 1st round, best guard prospect in years, pick who was injured all year, started his first game in week 15 and already showed flashes of why he's going to be so good (sure Geno Atkins ate his lunch but come on... It was his second game ever coming of major knee injuries and Geno Atkins does it to everyone): David Decastro? Not in our second round pick this year at RT who, when placed in the starting lineup jump started our run game, and our run game just happened to go to **** when he went down: Mike Adams? Not in our second round pick last year who, outside of falling on and injuring what seems like everyone on offense, has developed into a very good pass protector (run game needs work) and could definitely make the transition to LT (where he was slated to play his rookie year before he had to go to RT in place of IR'd Willie Colon): Marcus Gilbert? Not to mention the possibility of Max Starks returning who was ourmost consistent lineman this year.

I hate to be that guy, but you honestly picked the two aspects of this team that there actually is reason for optimism.

Crash
12-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Ben Roethlisberger can be restructured once again without issue which should clear at most another $7 million in cap space. That figure is based on turning $10 million of his $11.6 million base into signing bonus. This is roughly what they did last season with him and there is no reason to think that it would not happen again.

What if he says no?

Big T
12-27-2012, 06:17 PM
What if he says no?

Yes because I'm sure he'd say "No. Why would I want my $10 million right now?" There's no reason for a player to say no to it. Especially when, contrary to your belief, there is absolutely ZERO chance he isn't with the Steelers next season.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-27-2012, 06:55 PM
What if he says no?

It would be economically illogical to turn Down guarantees up front money just to attempt to earn that same money over time

Crash
12-27-2012, 07:16 PM
It would be economically illogical to turn Down guarantees up front money just to attempt to earn that same money over time

What if he wants to earn it somewhere else?

North Steel
12-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Ben is that u ?:hilarious:Hey everyone crash is Ben,I just figured it out :eek1:

Crash
12-27-2012, 07:55 PM
If I was Ben? I'd flip this city the bird and tell Art to trade me.

The treatment this kid gets from fans, local media, and his owner is a joke.

While a scrub like Charlie Batch is hailed a hero just because he's born there.

This is Dan Reeves vs. John Elway all over again.

But this time, the role of Reeves is being played by the OWNER.

And you can't fire him.

Clevelandsux
12-27-2012, 08:13 PM
we have a bunch of vets past there prime that we have money tied up in (aka Troy, Harrison). The Steelers need to restructure troy. You can't be throwing money at a guy that plays 5 games a year.

Crash
12-27-2012, 08:31 PM
I think Troy's too proud to take a pay cut. He'd retire first.

jpele
12-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Is there a contest going on here to see who can make the dumbest post, just asking.

scudmissile29
12-27-2012, 09:46 PM
And here's more great news. LeBeau is coming back.

Hopefully by September he won't be around to coach.

Here's to another 3 interception, 5 takeaway season by the defense.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-27-2012, 10:24 PM
What if he wants to earn it somewhere else?

He'd have to be as dumb as you to think the steelers would cut/trade him.

What a completely nonsense "what if"

NYCsteelersfan
12-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Hopefully by September he won't be around to coach.

Here's to another 3 interception, 5 takeaway season by the defense.

LeBeau isn't dropping balls thrown to him.

Crash
12-27-2012, 10:55 PM
They are rarely in position to pick off passes because they play so far off the ball by scheme.

That's why I'm glad when teams throw deep on us, we have no choice then to play the ball instead of "tackle the catch".

jdehoff83
12-27-2012, 10:55 PM

Get that man some pads then...we can be the first team to do throw back players

LevonKirkland99
12-27-2012, 10:57 PM

Well said and to the point!

polamalu43
12-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Seems like a never ending battle......will it not catch up with us at some point? At the back end of many of our favorite players contracts the pay seems so high that it is difficult to keep them.

God I hope we keep Harrison. I love watching the guy and if we can get him a bit of help I guarantee he will be a 10 sack guy in 2013

scudmissile29
12-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Seems like a never ending battle......will it not catch up with us at some point? At the back end of many of our favorite players contracts the pay seems so high that it is difficult to keep them.

God I hope we keep Harrison. I love watching the guy and if we can get him a bit of help I guarantee he will be a 10 sack guy in 2013

I will hold you to this and call you out at the end of 2013.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2012, 09:36 AM
The cap doesn't concern me at all, the Steelers always have and probably always will run right up against the cap, entering each season with barely a couple million available to sign other players if needed.

They'll enter free agency probably still over the cap, but they'll continue to restructure their brains out to get themselves more wiggle room.

As far as free agency goes, I would really like to see them just for once go out and use some money on some mid round players to help fill the void at least with depth. They're good for usually one slightly above/below average free agent per season, last year it was Pope.

Real Deal Steel
12-28-2012, 09:41 AM
The Cap concerns me to the extent on them signing 30 year old + players to extensions. They need to be more careful on the 30 year old and above players they give extensions to. They need to be more selective based on the position that player plays compared to the availability of replacing him in the draft.

FlatsSteeler
12-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Ya the Steelers have had a hand full of losing seasons over the past 40 years......Lets clear out the Front Office and you may as well dump the Owners as well......We can replace them with the Group from Jacksonville or Arizona or Cleveland.......this is a absurd thread.......

polamalu43
12-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Flame if Harrison is around next year..........10 sacks. I'll remind you next December....lol

Does anyone have an opinion on Adrian Robinson. I have a feeling this guy would make a name for himself if he has a chance to play on Sunday?

Real Deal Steel
12-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Management will have a great opportunity this off-season to address the many issues on the table. They will show everyone that they know what their doing or not.

Because if they don't start seriously using free agency to address at least a couple of areas of need, along with better talent evaluation, then we are all just wasting our time in rooting for another championship opportunity.

And....Mike Tomlin needs to be officially put on the clock. I don't see any leadership from him or players really fearing him when they underachieve. Like what I see at New England and Green Bay.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Management will have a great opportunity this off-season to address the many issues on the table. They will show everyone that they know what their doing or not.

Because if they don't start seriously using free agency to address at least a couple of areas of need, along with better talent evaluation, then we are all just wasting our time in rooting for another championship opportunity.

And....Mike Tomlin needs to be officially put on the clock. I don't see any leadership from him or players really fearing him when they underachieve. Like what I see at New England and Green Bay.

What do you "see" in New England and Green Bay?

Real Deal Steel
12-28-2012, 11:30 AM
What do you "see" in New England and Green Bay?

Both those coaches will put you on the pine if your not getting it done. Jermichael Finley is going to be let go in Packer land for his inconsistent play. Finley's a talent, but he's an underachiever too..and he's always hurt.

That's what I want to see from Tomlin more. Not just him benching Mendenhall, the same should go for the bad attitude Wallace has had through out the season; the consistent fumbles of A. Brown; poor play by the O-line.

Where was the discipline for these from Tomlin????? I want leadership and accountability. Not just a guy who gives "tough talk" speeches to the media.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Both those coaches will put you on the pine if your not getting it done. Jermichael Finley is going to be let go in Packer land for his inconsistent play. Finley's a talent, but he's an underachiever too..and he's always hurt.

That's what I want to see from Tomlin more. Not just him benching Mendenhall, the same should go for the bad attitude Wallace has had through out the season; the consistent fumbles of A. Brown; poor play by the O-line.

Where was the discipline for these from Tomlin????? I want leadership and accountability. Not just a guy who gives "tough talk" speeches to the media.

In a race for the playoffs, Tomlin should've benched Wallace, Brown, and Sanders for their ****** play? So we could play who?
Bench Colon... so we can play Legursky?

Frankly, I'm glad such knee jerk/stupid actions weren't taken.

Wallace was benched for a bit, for Sanders
RBs were benched for fumbling

But taken every player who makes a mistake out of the game... would be just dumb.

The fan base assumes too much about what goes on behind the scenes.

The truth is you don't know **** about what Tomlin does from a disciplinarian standpoint outside of the actions reported in the Media (Mendenhall suspension, Wallace benching)

Green Bay is going to let an underachiever in Finley go.... so what? Pittsburgh is going to let an underachiever in Wallace go as well
New England benched their RB for fumbling... so did Pittsburgh

Number99
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
This is a funny thread.

steelers75
12-28-2012, 12:46 PM
If I was Ben? I'd flip this city the bird and tell Art to trade me.

The treatment this kid gets from fans, local media, and his owner is a joke.

This. And another thing, it is the exact same reason Bradshaw actually did flip the city and fanbase the bird for about 20 years after he retired.

Crash
12-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Yep. Fans only "loved" Bradshaw once the Steelers stopped winning Super Bowls after he retired.

Ben will be the same way, but unlike Terry, I don't see Ben coming back just to be the attention whore Terry is now in regards for his "love" of the city.

All this chaos, because Art the Silver Spoon wants to recreate 1975.

This is what happens when unqualified sperm lotto winners get handed the keys to an empire.

Pretty pathetic that the biggest obstacle for Ben as a player is the idiot who is signing his checks.

Real Deal Steel
12-29-2012, 02:29 AM
In a race for the playoffs, Tomlin should've benched Wallace, Brown, and Sanders for their ****** play? So we could play who?
Bench Colon... so we can play Legursky?

Frankly, I'm glad such knee jerk/stupid actions weren't taken.

Wallace was benched for a bit, for Sanders
RBs were benched for fumbling

But taken every player who makes a mistake out of the game... would be just dumb.

The fan base assumes too much about what goes on behind the scenes.

The truth is you don't know **** about what Tomlin does from a disciplinarian standpoint outside of the actions reported in the Media (Mendenhall suspension, Wallace benching)

Green Bay is going to let an underachiever in Finley go.... so what? Pittsburgh is going to let an underachiever in Wallace go as well
New England benched their RB for fumbling... so did Pittsburgh

Truth is You don't know **** about what I know or WHO I know. Bellichek and Mccarthy do discipline players in the manner I've described. But they've put in a foundation from the beginning where rarely do they have problems with their major players. There is mass underachievement on this team which is a clear sign of no fear by players. The players need to know their are serious consequences for their actions.

LevonKirkland99
12-29-2012, 02:40 AM
"The Steeler way...is the only way." this is so true in many ways. I like it!

Real Deal Steel
12-29-2012, 02:15 PM
But we need to now tweek, " The Steeler Way" because the league has changed from 1988.

1. Use free agency a little. Similar to how the Giants do.
2. Better talent evaluation (possible GM change)
3. Put pressure on Tomlin to be harder on players. And to be more of a leader.
4. When defensive players are drafted, they need to be brought along faster then three year before the can significantly contribute.
5. New O-line coach that will give a new condition regiment and teach better schemes.

Fix these 5 areas, and then we are back to our championship ways.

Crash
12-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Colbert isn't going anywhere. He's another Rooney crony from North Catholic.

Nolrog
12-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Apparently we are $6 over the Cap for next season.

Not a big deal. We'll easily get under the cap with a few restructures and/or cuts.