PDA

View Full Version : Who will be our next OL coach?

steelchamp204
12-27-2012, 02:19 AM
Any good canidates out there? I think this is a vital signing for this team with Ben going into the later stages of his career. His *** needs to stay off the ground. I mean, look at what Lake has done to our secondary, that is how important these smaller coaching jobs are on the team.

I really dont know. Thats why I am asking. Id like to see Grimm come back personally. I know the AZ line sucks, but that team in general is just a disaster.

SteelCityVoice
12-27-2012, 06:17 AM
I remember one of the talk show hosts speculating that Tunch Ilkin might be someone worth looking at.

Good personality and a lot of knowledge of the game. He also probably knows the players from his interactions with them for broadcast purposes.

SteelCityVoice
12-27-2012, 06:18 AM
Grimm got screwed here in the last head coaching hire. I doubt he returns.

FlatsSteeler
12-27-2012, 08:24 AM
I too heard Tunch Ilkin was the next OL coach......he would be a great choice....

Goodfrom55
12-27-2012, 08:38 AM
I too heard Tunch Ilkin was the next OL coach......he would be a great choice....

One of the areas in which Tunch excelled was pass blocking. Definitely something to think about.

Kyle Flood, the Rutgers head coach was an incredible offensive line coach, but don't know if he would ever leave his head coaching position at RU to become a position coach in the NFL. If I were him, I would, but that's me.

Nolrog
12-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Is Tunch able to coach though? Does he have experience? With a very young bunch of kids on the line, we need someone very good to teach them how to play.

steelchamp204
12-27-2012, 10:28 AM
That would be weird not listening to Tunch on the radio though haha. Whoever it is, will have there work cut out. Not saying the Oline sucks, but there is just so much potential for this line to be great. Like having 3 probowlers in the future great.

Crash
12-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Is Tunch able to coach though? Does he have experience?

Tunch has done teaching videos for OLs that other NFL clubs use, as well as private sessions in off seasons (kind of like a QB Coach like Ben used during his suspension) for years. It's just that few people know about it.

They offered him the job before, he said no.

But his kids are now out of the house, and his wife unfortunately passed away. So if he's ever going to do it I'd say its now or never.

Real Deal Steel
12-27-2012, 11:04 AM
The hiring of a good OL coach is probably the most important thing we have to do in this off-season. Along with the conditioning of the O-linemen too.

We've got to get the running game back in a serious fashion. Whoever we get, they better be able to teach these guys on the O-line to run block.

Crash
12-27-2012, 11:09 AM
They also need to quit lining up the RB 8 1/2 yards behind the LOS on 3rd and 1.

That would be a good first step.

steelchamp204
12-27-2012, 12:38 PM
They also need to quit lining up the RB 8 1/2 yards behind the LOS on 3rd and 1.

That would be a good first step.

Yea, thats what I stated in my original post. Positioning coaches do not get the credit they deserve. Lake has done a tremendous job for the secondary, Yes the int's arent really there, but there have been plenty of opportunities for ints this season. With the progress of Allen/Brown/Lewis this season the future looks solid for the secondary. Hopefully we can get an OL coach in here to right the ship of the line to where they stay upright and not on there backsides, or worse, on the back of another guys legs.

steelcity73
12-28-2012, 03:21 AM
The hiring of a good OL coach is probably the most important thing we have to do in this off-season. Along with the conditioning of the O-linemen too.

We've got to get the running game back in a serious fashion. Whoever we get, they better be able to teach these guys on the O-line to run block.

Oh wait a minute, I posted a few days ago that the conditioning needed to be improved! However, I was informed(via posts to the chat) that it wasn't the condition of our team, it was just injuries!